Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: J.G.] #5084012 04/23/14 01:58 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
The point you missed is that I was on the side of tighten everything down, go shoot the rifle. Improvement? Yes or no? If yes, good, if no, we need to look at other possibilities and one of those possibilities is to bed the action. But that is step two, not step one. I want everyone to shoot more, that's how we get better. What's it going to hurt having him tighten action screws (free by the way) and go back to the range and retest? This is science, not voodoo. Eliminate variables, one at a time.

^^ This. You take it one step at a time. The OP mentioned the action screws were loose and he (probably) was over cleaning the rifle. Fix these 2 items, and then see where we stand. It's a hunting rifle, not a BR rifle.

It seems there are a few people that get involved in a topic and turn it upside down. Why? What's the point?

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: BMD] #5084079 04/23/14 02:37 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BMD
Hell with it, I'll do it anyway.

Not bedded McMillan A-5. Savage action that is unmodified, and still wearing an Accutrigger. All shots prone with rear bag, and Harris 6-9" bipod.

513 yards. 140 gr. Hornady A-max

111 yards. 130 Berger VLD, 3 shots. Ended up .09", and this aint a bench rest gun.

Why bed it?

Would it make shoot worse? Could it make it shoot even better?

Like I said back at the beginning of this thread, I'm still learning to tighten groups through working on proper technique. If after I get my technique down, I'm able to shoot 1" groups, I won't spend an extra dime or minute working on my gun to get it more accurate than that. The way I see it is, if a gun is performing the way I want, why spend an extra dime to make it do more. It's a hunting rifle. To me, it would be like putting a turbocharger in a car that you drive to church and back. It will make it perform better, but it's unnecessary. Not everybody has unlimited funds to spend on a rifle, so get it where you are happy with it, an quit spending money.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: 603Country] #5084081 04/23/14 02:38 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: 603Country
I'd have a rifle bedded if nothing else worked, but on second thought maybe I'd just get rid of the rifle. I have two that are bedded and a few that aren't. The most recent (Tikka) isn't bedded, and I did worry a bit about the synthetic stock, but there was no need to worry. It's the best shooter I have.

I do have one rifle that shoots pretty good (Ruger Hawkeye in 223), but now that I have the Tikka I want the Ruger to shoot that good too. Rather than restock and bed it, I will probably have a new high dollar barrel put on it and have the action squared up. I won't have it bedded.

Somebody did say that "it can't hurt to bed it", and he's probably right. I can't argue with that, but I probably still won't go that way again.

Just don't get it, it is ok it is your money.

Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: ChadTRG42] #5084083 04/23/14 02:39 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
The point you missed is that I was on the side of tighten everything down, go shoot the rifle. Improvement? Yes or no? If yes, good, if no, we need to look at other possibilities and one of those possibilities is to bed the action. But that is step two, not step one. I want everyone to shoot more, that's how we get better. What's it going to hurt having him tighten action screws (free by the way) and go back to the range and retest? This is science, not voodoo. Eliminate variables, one at a time.

^^ This. You take it one step at a time. The OP mentioned the action screws were loose and he (probably) was over cleaning the rifle. Fix these 2 items, and then see where we stand. It's a hunting rifle, not a BR rifle.

It seems there are a few people that get involved in a topic and turn it upside down. Why? What's the point?

Really recommending a rifle be bedded is turning a thread upside down?

Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: TFF Caribou] #5084093 04/23/14 02:44 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Hell with it, I'll do it anyway.

Not bedded McMillan A-5. Savage action that is unmodified, and still wearing an Accutrigger. All shots prone with rear bag, and Harris 6-9" bipod.

513 yards. 140 gr. Hornady A-max

111 yards. 130 Berger VLD, 3 shots. Ended up .09", and this aint a bench rest gun.

Why bed it?

Would it make shoot worse? Could it make it shoot even better?

Like I said back at the beginning of this thread, I'm still learning to tighten groups through working on proper technique. If after I get my technique down, I'm able to shoot 1" groups, I won't spend an extra dime or minute working on my gun to get it more accurate than that. The way I see it is, if a gun is performing the way I want, why spend an extra dime to make it do more. It's a hunting rifle. To me, it would be like putting a turbocharger in a car that you drive to church and back. It will make it perform better, but it's unnecessary. Not everybody has unlimited funds to spend on a rifle, so get it where you are happy with it, an quit spending money.

I'll add, if I can't get my groups where I'm happy with them, I'll look into ways to accurize the rifle, including bedding. But I'm confident I can get it where I want it without it.

Nobody is arguing that bedding a rifle won't make it shoot better. But if you are happy with where it's add, why spend the time and money.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: BMD] #5084106 04/23/14 02:49 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

No acting like your God and saying bedding is the only way and everyone who disagrees is an idiot is turning a thread upside down.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: ltsheets] #5084110 04/23/14 02:50 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
To most everyone who has posted on this topic, you do not understand bedding, the proper use, why it is done now, action bedding, free floating a barrel or complete barrel bedding or partial barrel bedding or pillar bedding or how to tighten action screws on a Win 70 and whether the same procedure is done on a pre vs post 1964 model. Someone does not understand McMillan stocks, you may own them but that doesn't mean you understand McMillan. And how you can compare a $500-900 custom stock to a factory stock is beyond me. Many have forgotten why we have fiberglass stocks and how the rifle manufacturers sold you a bill of goods to save them money. Instead of trying to help everyone is defending their personal belief. bang

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: blackcoal] #5084123 04/23/14 02:57 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
To most everyone who has posted on this topic, you do not understand bedding, the proper use, why it is done now, action bedding, free floating a barrel or complete barrel bedding or partial barrel bedding or pillar bedding or how to tighten action screws on a Win 70 and whether the same procedure is done on a pre vs post 1964 model. Someone does not understand McMillan stocks, you may own them but that doesn't mean you understand McMillan. And how you can compare a $500-900 custom stock to a factory stock is beyond me. Many have forgotten why we have fiberglass stocks and how the rifle manufacturers sold you a bill of goods to save them money. Instead of trying to help everyone is defending their personal belief. bang

I'll be the first to admit that I'm in way over my head when it comes to this kind of stuff. But again, the root of this whole discussion isnt wether bedding actually helps. I think we all agree it's going help. But the discussion seems to be, if you are happy with the way a rifle shoots, is it really necessary to bed the action. Guys just saying "will it hurt?" Aren't helping the discussion. Of course it won't make it worse. But if you are perfectly pleased with your groups, it's unnecessary to bed it. Now give that same rifle to a guy who wants to get more accuracy out of it, and he may feel bedding it is necessary. But an imbedded rifle can be accurate enough for its user.

Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: redchevy] #5084137 04/23/14 03:05 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: redchevy

No acting like your God and saying bedding is the only way and everyone who disagrees is an idiot is turning a thread upside down.

No one is acting like god, lol. Some talk out both sides of their mouth. Oh it is just a hunting rifle and next sentence is about the lil bitty groups. I am pretty sure a dead animal could care if bedded or not, so if it is just a hunting rifle why discuss the little bitty groups. confused2

Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: ltsheets] #5084146 04/23/14 03:08 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
I like to have the best odds on making a shot I need to make on an animal I want, so I do everything I can to make the rifle as good a tool as it can be in case the real factor (loose but behind trigger) doesn't do everything as perfect smile

Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: ltsheets] #5084226 04/23/14 03:47 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Telling people- fail, Grow up little man and post something useful once in awhile, and preaching about comparing BR rifles to hunting guns while being rude doing it. WTF? Go circle jerk with the BR guys then.

A hunting rifle does not "have" to be bedded to shoot good. Sure, bedding will generally help improve consistency and accuracy (but I've seen some crappy bedding jobs that made things worse). But it's not a requirement. Unbedded factory rifles can still shoot very well. If the OP states he's over cleaning a rifle and the action screws are loose, then fix those 2 issues first, then go re-shoot the rifle and see if that improves the accuracy, which it probably will. You don't "have" to bed the thing. If the rifle doesn't like the ammo he's shooting, then a bedding job won't do squat. Comparing a BR rifle to a factory hunting gun is pointless. Yes, they are both still a rifle. But a person doesn't have to add all the bells and whistles to get a factory rifle to shoot.

Sure, you may know how to shoot and may be the best shooter to hit ticks off deer balls at 1K yards. But being rude is uncalled for. It seems there are a few people here that every time they post something, it turns into a bad thread and name calling. So, why?

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: redchevy] #5084231 04/23/14 03:48 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C

My point exactly.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: ltsheets] #5084256 04/23/14 04:00 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Some have lower tolerance for ignorance especially when they act like they know everything, which I do not, but I certainly know having a rifle bedded properly is a positive!

Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: ltsheets] #5084282 04/23/14 04:18 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Its kinda hard to argue with the repeatable achievements of some of the ignorant people who don't know anything.

Different strokes for different folks, there is more than one way to skin a cat. If you want to bed it fine that's great, but there is plenty of proof out there that bedding is not required for hunting level accuracy.

The gun has loose screws, to me bedding it before you try it with correctly tightened screws is like having the transmission in your truck rebuilt before you check to see if it is low on fluid.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: ltsheets] #5084298 04/23/14 04:23 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
If it was my rifle, I'd torque the guard screws properly then shoot it to see what happens, in the interest of knowing. I've bedded every singe rifle I own and shoot with any frequency because I DO think it will improve them virtually every time and it has never made a rifle shoot worse...a few never did improve though. If I ever buy a rifle that shoots 1/4-MOA out of the box (and I am not holding my breath!) I'll probably think it over for quite a while.

All I am saying is that I think better to change one thing at a time and find out how it effects the gun. I prefer to not find myself wondering what I've done right.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: redchevy] #5084344 04/23/14 04:42 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Its kinda hard to argue with the repeatable achievements of some of the ignorant people who don't know anything.

Different strokes for different folks, there is more than one way to skin a cat. If you want to bed it fine that's great, but there is plenty of proof out there that bedding is not required for hunting level accuracy.

The gun has loose screws, to me bedding it before you try it with correctly tightened screws is like having the transmission in your truck rebuilt before you check to see if it is low on fluid.

More like adding mud tires to a 4x4 rather than street tires.

Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: RiverRider] #5084349 04/23/14 04:43 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
If it was my rifle, I'd torque the guard screws properly then shoot it to see what happens, in the interest of knowing. I've bedded every singe rifle I own and shoot with any frequency because I DO think it will improve them virtually every time and it has never made a rifle shoot worse...a few never did improve though. If I ever buy a rifle that shoots 1/4-MOA out of the box (and I am not holding my breath!) I'll probably think it over for quite a while.

All I am saying is that I think better to change one thing at a time and find out how it effects the gun. I prefer to not find myself wondering what I've done right.

I just have em bedded before I ever shoot them and then no worries smile

Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: BMD] #5084377 04/23/14 04:59 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W

I just have em bedded before I ever shoot them and then no worries smile

But the OPs rifle is not a Remington. It may actually shoot without replacing or reworking every part. stir

Just kidding. I like what you've done with your rifles.

Last edited by wp75169; 04/23/14 05:01 PM.
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: ltsheets] #5084382 04/23/14 05:03 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
May or may not but bedding makes sure everything fits the exact same way when you do torque the screws

Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: RiverRider] #5084438 04/23/14 05:37 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Absolutely. Troubleshooting 101 teaches to check all the easy and most common issues first before moving on to the more complex possibilities. Doesn't start. Does it have gas? Won't shoot decent groups. Was the scope mounted correctly?

Still, IMO, 99% of hunters will be satisfied with their groups given a good rifle and ammo and correctly installed scope.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: ChadTRG42] #5084461 04/23/14 05:56 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

My point exactly.

Yup.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: J.G.] #5084684 04/23/14 08:36 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B

My point exactly.

Yup.

popcorn as if there aren't some big ole egos on this side as well roflmao

Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: ltsheets] #5084726 04/23/14 09:09 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
All this back and forth chatter over shooting tight groups has me wanting to make a trip to the range.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: ltsheets] #5084740 04/23/14 09:16 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I just want my new gun to come in! frown

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Need Help getting a rifle to group! [Re: BMD] #5084750 04/23/14 09:21 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

My point exactly.

Yup.

popcorn as if there aren't some big ole egos on this side as well roflmao

Childish way of trying to get a rise.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread