Forums46
Topics538,541
Posts9,738,392
Members87,095
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570173 12/03/16 11:09 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
It's just a deer and he didn't get his. If it were a kid I'd tell him he's done shooting. A grown man with no set rule needs to make his own decision.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570175 12/03/16 11:10 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Y'all killed a 207" deer in Stephens county? I want to see the pictures of that one.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570187 12/03/16 11:27 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
He done.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570190 12/03/16 11:31 PM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Sounds like a case where some friendly hunter coaching from the lease mamma's needed. Tell him to focus on the future.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570216 12/04/16 12:01 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I can't add much here, but he absolutely should be done. However, if that rule wasn't already in place you'll have to rely on his good will and cooperation IMO. I don't know the guy, but maybe if you and the other hunters sit down with him and express your wishes he'll agree. Stranger things have happened.
Incidentally, by talk to him I don't mean a blanket party. smile

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570217 12/04/16 12:02 AM
R
RRRanch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
The right shoulder was broken, and blood poured out of him in the thermal scope when he got up slow and limped off, never to be found. He now has another buck on camera he wants to shoot.

Done under these circumstances for sure. Sorry, next year.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: scalebuster] #6570232 12/04/16 12:13 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Originally Posted By: swmays
If there is no existing rule preventing a second try after not recovering his first try he gets to have a second go.

This^^^^^^
as much as I hate it I agree. It should have been in writing.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570243 12/04/16 12:25 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If it were me I'd consider myself done with an exception of a giant. I'd keep hunting but if the top dog showed up he'd be dead. I don't think anyone would fault him if he showed up with a 208" deer. If y'all did cry about it somethings wrong with the group you have on the lease.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570259 12/04/16 12:38 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Deer hunting is supposed to be about fun. There are too many guys that take it too seriously. I have been in a fistfight over a poker game in camp when I was 17, I believe deer camp is for fun and everyone shouldn't take it so seriously unless they call an old boy from Odessa a cheater when he's holding a full boat and calls with all his machine shop money.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570265 12/04/16 12:43 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
It needs to be 'policy' (well understood by everyone BEFORE the season starts).

But personally, I'd say he has burned his tag...unless it was known (without doubt) that only a superficial wound was inflicted.

Sounds like a mortal wound was the case here.

I have always used a self imposed policy of burning a tag anytime I have drawn blood, (Doe or Buck). I have failed to recover very few deer in my 47 years of hunting (and most of that was bowhunting). But...when that has happened, I ALWAYS tear up a tag.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: scalebuster] #6570270 12/04/16 12:48 AM
D6Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Deer hunting is supposed to be about fun. There are too many guys that take it too seriously. I have been in a fistfight over a poker game in camp when I was 17, I believe deer camp is for fun and everyone shouldn't take it so seriously unless they call an old boy from Odessa a cheater when he's holding a full boat and calls with all his machine shop money.

Though I agree with you in spirit, it tends to get serious when you spend thousands of dollars and hours or even years of time to develop quality deer and improve the land. Even more so as a landowner it becomes important.

I have to tell myself every year to chill out and have fun because I get stressed about making the right decisions.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: SapperTitan] #6570282 12/04/16 12:57 AM
E
el_cazador713 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
If there is no existing rule preventing a second try after not recovering his first try he gets to have a second go.

This^^^^^^
as much as I hate it I agree. It should have been in writing.

If it's in writing or a known lease policy, he's done. As many have said if it was me, I would be done given I made a clearly fatal shot on the deer from the evidence you mentioned. I would find the deer or exhaust every effort doing so.

Last edited by jvr_dejesus; 12/04/16 12:58 AM.
Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570337 12/04/16 01:38 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Blood and done!!!!

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570366 12/04/16 02:07 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I'm in the one and done camp myself, as that's the way it is on our place too. I am very curious though, if there was blood pouring out of his shoulder, how was the buck not recovered? Do any of the neighbors have any tracking dogs?

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570373 12/04/16 02:15 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
[censored] happens let the guy kill the deer sounds like he's either lucky or putting the time into the spot... I would consider myself done for trophy bucks at least but even though I feel that way dont mean this other fella that pays for a lease just the same as me feels the same.. So why should my opinion over rule his when both are legal and really not gona hurt a thing. Live and let live

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: D6Ranch] #6570379 12/04/16 02:20 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: D6Ranch

Though I agree with you in spirit, it tends to get serious when you spend thousands of dollars and hours or even years of time to develop quality deer and improve the land. Even more so as a landowner it becomes important.

I have to tell myself every year to chill out and have fun because I get stressed about making the right decisions.

What would taking a mature deer out of a herd do to cripple management? The truth is if one lost and another shot truley has potential to mess with a management practice then there are to many hunters on the lease

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570388 12/04/16 02:30 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Wondering what caliber was used. Case in point one of my great nephews (Junior in High school) shot a trophy deer he said last Saturday afternoon that ran off. He was using a 22-250. They found a small amount of blood and jumped the wounded deer up once but never found him. One of the other experienced hunters saw a big deer grazing for quite some time this afternoon from a distance that was hobbling along and in his opinion didn't think it was a fatal injury. confused2

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570389 12/04/16 02:30 AM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
There is a understanding that we follow, and each hunter has a copy of the hunting guidelines. If you draw blood that is considered your buck. With that said every attempt is made to locate the buck to include a tracking dog. I have gone as far as hiring a helicopter to fly the area where the deer was shot and it was located.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570390 12/04/16 02:30 AM
ttechcolleyville Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I don't think that needs to be in the rules to enforce it, though it would probably be better if it was.

It should be a simple conversation for him to understand. Trophy bucks are are exception and if you take one out of the herd, whether you find him or not, he is lost for anyone else. So he counts as your trophy. If he shows back up on the trail cam alive, then we can re-evaluate.

If he doesn't accept that, then he might not be the type of hunter you want on your lease long term.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: Navasot] #6570395 12/04/16 02:37 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Navasot

What would taking a mature deer out of a herd do to cripple management? The truth is if one lost and another shot truley has potential to mess with a management practice then there are to many hunters on the lease

With all due respect I think you are missing the point. If one hunter is allowed to mortally wound a trophy buck and then go shoot another what happens when the next lease member does the same? Then it does affect the entire herd and ranch and lease. If there are no consequences then IMO it becomes a free for all. And this was not a case of he shot and was not sure if he hit the deer or not -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: D6Ranch] #6570409 12/04/16 02:51 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Spend a few thousand more and get on a lease with enough country that one extra deer won't destroy your whole management plan. Why would you get stressed over making a decision about which deer to kill?

The only time you should get upset or stressed at deer camp is if someone drinks all of your camp whiskey and doesn't replace it or at least call and tell you you're out.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ttechcolleyville] #6570452 12/04/16 03:28 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: ttechcolleyville
I don't think that needs to be in the rules to enforce it, though it would probably be better if it was.

It should be a simple conversation for him to understand. Trophy bucks are are exception and if you take one out of the herd, whether you find him or not, he is lost for anyone else. So he counts as your trophy. If he shows back up on the trail cam alive, then we can re-evaluate.

If he doesn't accept that, then he might not be the type of hunter you want on your lease long term.

I agree with this 100%

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570461 12/04/16 03:35 AM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
This is nothing to get upset over. Im curious how long have you guys been hunting together and has this ever happened before? With him or someone else on the lease? How was it handled.

Tell him how the other hunters feel and let him know that blood drawn counts as his buck. Tell him its not in the rules but you thought all hunters knew and understood that blood drawn counts as the hunters deer. Let him know that next year it will be in the rules and with that being said because it was not in the rules the decision is his to make whether or not to harvest another deer. I would think that it will take care of itself.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6570537 12/04/16 04:41 AM
L
longhorn_cop Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Let him buy another trophy tag. Same price as the yearly spot.

Re: Question- Trophy buck shot but not found...... [Re: KG68] #6570548 12/04/16 04:49 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I would say he is done, but that's just my opinion/approach. I would certainly not shoot another buck under those circumstances. But it's gonna be very problematic to implement a new rule after the fact. That should be done prior to season. He will have every reason to be upset if he wants to be (which, apparently, he does).

Good luck!
Got no problem with one and done. The after the fact part bothers me.
Originally Posted By: KG68
This rule would need to be in place before the season otherwise it would hard to enforce.

I too believe that it should be his trophy...BUT....if it's not a rule, if it was not stated as a lease rule prior to this occurring then I believe he has the right to expect to still get his trophy. This happened on a lease I was on in the past...guy shot two bucks, one of which I found 100yds from his blind in low grass, which he claimed he "must have missed" and ended up shooting three that year only tagging one. So I feel your pain and agree it should be his one and only but again without it being a current part of the rules then I think he gets to keep hunting.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide