Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: pkhunter624] #4671360 10/18/13 04:59 PM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Yeah or maybe a link that shows how many haven't met their deadline to pay. Therefore, will be open for a stand by.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: pkhunter624] #4671363 10/18/13 04:59 PM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: pkhunter624
Just because they take standby doesn't mean they will get all their money. I was just at matador for the archery hunt only 9 of 16 paid and only 1 standby showed up. TPWD needs to do something to stop people from getting picked and then not paying. May be more money up front.

How did yall do??

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Chadillac] #4671404 10/18/13 05:12 PM
P
pkhunter624 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
had good time but hunting was terrible I only saw 3 deer in 5 days weather was real hot could be reason I don't know

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: pkhunter624] #4671467 10/18/13 05:34 PM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
had good time but hunting was terrible I only saw 3 deer in 5 days weather was real hot could be reason I don't know

Which compartment were you in?

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Chadillac] #4671673 10/18/13 06:47 PM
P
pkhunter624 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted By: Chadillac

Which compartment were you in?
PM left for u

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: sqiggy] #4684341 10/23/13 12:58 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Originally Posted By: Chadillac
They get their money either way.
Not quite!!!
Just like this hunt I went on, they had 20 permits at $130 each. Only 5 sent their permit fees in for a total of $650. By the other 15 not sending the permit fee in and not allowing stand-bys, they lost $1950.
That alone might could have paid for some plumbing work badly needed at the site.

Devil's River SNA does not have a point-of-sales machine to take fees or charges for any events/happenings/hunts.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/devils-river

Making a statement as you did without doing a little research only shows you made a judgement without the knowledge of the site itself.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: kyotee1] #4684405 10/23/13 01:23 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Chris,
Why would a point of sales machine make any difference? I did not use a point of machines to apply originally, I stuck my entry and check in and envelope and mailed it mailed it. When drawn I stick a check for the permit fee in an envelope and mail it. Why could they not collect the hunt permit fee and do the same thing. It is what they did several years ago on all standby hunts before any of them had "machines" or computers.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: kyotee1] #4684749 10/23/13 03:32 PM
S
sqiggy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: kyotee1
Making a statement as you did without doing a little research only shows you made a judgement without the knowledge of the site itself.
Only stating what I saw Dude. You wasn't there!!!!!!!
And I understand about the "point of sale"!!!! Kinda hard to collect money when you are a hour and half from nearest town.
But on the other hand, Fort Boggy SP is in the same boat. Can't take stand-bys. But it's only 5 miles from nearest town and at one time, they took stand-bys. I was told TPWD took away his only way to take payments. But yet we keep hearing TPWD is under-funded.
Starting to see why!!!!!!

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Sniper John] #4684786 10/23/13 03:41 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
All that is transacted in Austin at TPWD headquarters, not all field stations. Some have point of sales, some do not.

That was the action coming down from State Parks, not anything to do with Public Hunting.

Last edited by kyotee1; 10/23/13 03:43 PM.
Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: kyotee1] #4685116 10/23/13 05:33 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I guess something changed. People used to be able to pay with a check when drawn standby, but realize I have been going on these hunts for several years and before computers were the norm. Are you saying the only way to pay for the permit fee when drawn standby on a hunt now is with a credit card or debit card directly to austion via the same machine they sell licenses with?

No disrespect to you Chris, but if that is so, then I agree that it's silly for TPWD to throw away $1950 in revenew on that hunt, and tens of thousands of dollars combined lost on other hunts by not allowing or trusting area managers to accept check or cash payments for permits and just drop them in the mail to Austin the next day. Especially when the drawn hunters paid for their permits by snail mail and not electronicly anyway. Not to mention sometimes cutting the number of hunters in over half on hunts like that one, in effect removing half of the manager's wildlife management tool.

A call in public hunt on a national wildlife refuge I have done a few times as late as last year I have paid for my permit at the gate by cash or check to the area manager or biologist at the conclusion of the hunt. From there I suppose the paperwork and funds are either mailed to a main office somewhere or deposited into an account. It is not that difficult.

With area managers more than once telling me about how their budgets are cut, with tpwd all but begging for donations, with texas govt holding Pittman-Robertson funds for budget manipulation, it just makes no sense to not let those managers do old school pen and paper accounting and snail mail deposits.

Things like this IMHO is why the TPWD commission needs a real fishing hunting outdoors person on the commission rather than only appointees of whoever donated the most funds to the Governor's campaign. Sometimes like in the case of this one they can't see the forest for the trees. Guys like me and on this forum are actually in that forest hunting.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Sniper John] #4685350 10/23/13 07:22 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
well said John

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Sniper John] #4685432 10/23/13 08:01 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I guess something changed. Are you saying the only way to pay for the permit fee when drawn standby on a hunt now is with a credit card or debit card directly to austion via the same machine they sell licenses with?

No, many WMA's and State Parks are able to take in checks, money orders or credit cards for the standby hunts as they have in the past; very few are unable to do so.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: kyotee1] #4685536 10/23/13 08:44 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I guess something changed. Are you saying the only way to pay for the permit fee when drawn standby on a hunt now is with a credit card or debit card directly to austion via the same machine they sell licenses with?

No, many WMA's and State Parks are able to take in checks, money orders or credit cards for the standby hunts as they have in the past; very few are unable to do so.

We may be having a failure to communicate then. Feel free to explain if we are on the wrong track here. That is what dialogs on forums like this are for.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Sniper John] #4685621 10/23/13 09:18 PM
P
pkhunter624 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I also don't understand why they cant take a check or money order. The sad part to me is not only is the TPWD losing a lot of money but there are plenty of hunters (over 3,000 applied last year )that would love to hunt this place. Hard to understand why they cant come up with a system to get their money and provide the correct number of hunters.

BTW almost 1,000 hunters picked last year did not pay. TPWD time to change something.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: pkhunter624] #4685776 10/23/13 10:22 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
So it sounds like someone at TPWD needs to put their foot up the butt of the managers at Fort Boggy and Devils River. Tell them to start taking checks and cash for stand-by payments. And if they were originally prepared to issue 20 permits but only 5 drawn hunters paid then do 15 stand-by permits. Turning away good money otherwise.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Sniper John] #4687253 10/24/13 02:41 PM
S
sqiggy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
I guess something changed. People used to be able to pay with a check when drawn standby, but realize I have been going on these hunts for several years and before computers were the norm. Are you saying the only way to pay for the permit fee when drawn standby on a hunt now is with a credit card or debit card directly to austion via the same machine they sell licenses with?

No disrespect to you Chris, but if that is so, then I agree that it's silly for TPWD to throw away $1950 in revenew on that hunt, and tens of thousands of dollars combined lost on other hunts by not allowing or trusting area managers to accept check or cash payments for permits and just drop them in the mail to Austin the next day. Especially when the drawn hunters paid for their permits by snail mail and not electronicly anyway. Not to mention sometimes cutting the number of hunters in over half on hunts like that one, in effect removing half of the manager's wildlife management tool.

A call in public hunt on a national wildlife refuge I have done a few times as late as last year I have paid for my permit at the gate by cash or check to the area manager or biologist at the conclusion of the hunt. From there I suppose the paperwork and funds are either mailed to a main office somewhere or deposited into an account. It is not that difficult.

With area managers more than once telling me about how their budgets are cut, with tpwd all but begging for donations, with texas govt holding Pittman-Robertson funds for budget manipulation, it just makes no sense to not let those managers do old school pen and paper accounting and snail mail deposits.

Things like this IMHO is why the TPWD commission needs a real fishing hunting outdoors person on the commission rather than only appointees of whoever donated the most funds to the Governor's campaign. Sometimes like in the case of this one they can't see the forest for the trees. Guys like me and on this forum are actually in that forest hunting.
This is what I'm talking about!!!
With today's technology, you would think TPWD would have a way for every hunt.
I mean, they have it today that a person can run a credit card right off their cell phone.
Kinda sad when cash in hand won't even work!!!

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: swampthang] #4687258 10/24/13 02:43 PM
S
sqiggy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: swampthang
So it sounds like someone at TPWD needs to put their foot up the butt of the managers at Fort Boggy and Devils River.
It's not the guys running the hunts. It's the "Big Boss" in Austin that has their hands tied.
Those guys running the hunts would love to be able to do stand-bys.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: sqiggy] #4687629 10/24/13 04:19 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
^^^Best reply given to the standby situation

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: kyotee1] #4687799 10/24/13 05:09 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
^^^Best reply given to the standby situation

X2
Those managers, biologists, wildlife techs, etc. are having to do more with less these days and all I have ever seen on those hunts is TPWD employees going above and beyond. Hunting is a "biological management tool" for them. Especially important when it involves exotics. I am sure they want to be able to fill those standy spots to meet their management goals.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Sniper John] #4687860 10/24/13 05:27 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Part of the problem why the TPWD Commission, who makes the decisions of what, when, where, and how state park hunts are done. Or whoever down the chain that will not allow direct permit payments without a "machine" at some locations. May be because many TPWD decisions are now managed by analytics. Everything must go into a database. You would still think there would be a way to enter your permit purchase into the database sometime after the time of purchase, but then there probably is no employee available to do that unless it is done at the point of purchase. And by the way, if you did not know. If you hunt and fish in Texas, Big Brother is watching you and recording your every move into the database.
http://gcn.com/Articles/2013/08/19/Data-analytics-Texas-Parks-Wildlife.aspx?Page=1

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Sniper John] #4688398 10/24/13 09:04 PM
J
JRPurvis Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
TPWD has been using a point-of-sale system that dumps all the license purchase data into a database for years. Same thing for boat registrations, magazine subscriptions, etc. There's nothing new about this at all. If you give money to any state agency, they have to record it in a database in some way for the accountants and auditors. People want proof from the government on what they take in and how it is spent. "Big Brother" doesn't care about watching you - the public has demanded they do this.

Deer quality is not measured by antler size
Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Sniper John] #4688517 10/24/13 09:55 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Are not State Park hunts and regular WMA's under the jurisdiction of the same entity...Texas Parks and Wildlife? If so why not run them the same. Sounds like typical bureaucratic BS to me. I'm just a dumb,old redneck who's trying to go to the woods and kill something. All this talk of POS kiosk and swiping credit cards just to get in the woods kinda ruins the experience for me. I suppose I can't stop technology from creeping in to all areas of life but I wish I could.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide