Page 1 of 2 1 2
Going for Stand-By #4633854 10/06/13 01:46 AM
S
sqiggy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Anybody not get drawn planning on going as a stand-by??
I know of one hunt that has 15 spots open right now.
I got drawn for Archery Exotic at Devils River and I called the place yesterday to ask a couple of questions. The guy running the place told me only 5 people sent in the money for the permit. This hunt had 20 permits available for this years draw.
Hard to believe that a lot of people put in for hunts that never intended to go anyway!!! confused2
Anyway, this hunt is this coming Friday thru Monday, Oct 11-14, in case somebody might be off and could make it.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: sqiggy] #4634917 10/06/13 03:44 PM
E
erok11 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Man you really got me thinking about this. Was gonna take a 4 day weekend and head to the lease. Devils River sounds like a better time to me. My buddy did the rifle hunt last year and shot a few aoudad.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: erok11] #4639696 10/08/13 03:04 AM
S
sqiggy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
If you come on out, holler at me. I'll be in a dark blue Dodge one ton welding rig.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: sqiggy] #4640588 10/08/13 03:59 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
I got drawn for Archery Exotic at Devils River and I called the place yesterday to ask a couple of questions. The guy running the place told me only 5 people sent in the money for the permit. This hunt had 20 permits available for this years draw.
Hard to believe that a lot of people put in for hunts that never intended to go anyway!!! confused2

We see this quite often on the draw hunts each year.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: kyotee1] #4640719 10/08/13 04:33 PM
C
cabledad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I got made at the world one time and decided I would go stand by on the state hunts.I ended up at a black powder hunt on the Devils sink hole in Rockd Springs. I goofed and went early camped out side the locked gate only talked to people going in.Let them know I was going to wait for a stand by hunt. A young man came out on foot and told me they are booked up and can't allow anymore hunters.One day later when they called everybody in I went on in with them The officer identified all the hunter with there papers and then turned to me and said did you come from Denison on stand by,I am going to see that you hunt. Nicest group of strangers I ever hunted with killed a spike buck,everybody needs to go see the 5 million bats come out of that hole, Chuck

Chuck Davis
Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: cabledad] #4640723 10/08/13 04:35 PM
C
cabledad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
By the way I saw quite a few white tail deer.

Chuck Davis
Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: sqiggy] #4643015 10/09/13 12:09 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Anyway, this hunt is this coming Friday thru Monday, Oct 11-14, in case somebody might be off and could make it.

The AEX hunt at Devil's River will not have standby positions available per the Special Restrictions for the Area within the Drawing hunt booklet and website.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: sqiggy] #4643294 10/09/13 02:09 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

From conversations I have had with hunters on a couple hunts, I am confident part of the reason there are no shows on some of the hard to draw hunts because there are people putting in for those particular hunts not because they want to go on them that year, but because they know they are not likely to draw them. Because TPWD does not provide a preference point only option like a lot of other states do, people are doing that as a way to build preference points in years that for whatever reason they know they can not go hunting.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Sniper John] #4643452 10/09/13 02:56 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Each state has their own draw system including preference points. Not sure what the new system will entail once we go to online submission which is scheduled for testing come February and hopefully, it will be set to go next summer.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Sniper John] #4644382 10/09/13 07:55 PM
B
bigpigtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

From conversations I have had with hunters on a couple hunts, I am confident part of the reason there are no shows on some of the hard to draw hunts because there are people putting in for those particular hunts not because they want to go on them that year, but because they know they are not likely to draw them. Because TPWD does not provide a preference point only option like a lot of other states do, people are doing that as a way to build preference points in years that for whatever reason they know they can not go hunting.

I think part of it is keeping your options open. I put in for a dozen public hunts this year and then found a decent lease. Fortunately we only got drawn for a youth hunt which is free. I probably wouldn't have gone if I got drawn. It's just money I need to put into my place now. I'll put in for one or two next year when I don't have to spend so much at my lease.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Sniper John] #4644854 10/09/13 10:40 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

Yep, that's what I do. I figure, if I get drawn for one of these, I will make the time if I can. I don't count on getting drawn though. I even put in for crossbow, and I don't own a crossbow. It kinda stinks that folks like me are making it harder for everyone to get drawn for the long odds hunts, but there isn't a better option to build up points.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Palehorse] #4644985 10/09/13 11:25 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I am sure people only wanting to build preference points in any particular year have also figured out that in combination with applying for a poor draw odds hunt they can add a family member or friend having zero preference points to their card and cut in half their preference points on the draw and thus cutting their chance of getting drawn by half. So logic has it, if by luck or maybe should say by bad luck because the person is only wanting the preference point that year. The extra party member who likely does not hunt, does not go even if the party leader does. BTW, I learned this stuff sitting across the table from a WMA manager three years ago who was frustrated with the repeat number of no shows on one of his area hunts.

Then there are the non residents who have no license requirement and pay the same small fee as residents to apply They have nothing to lose if they are drawn and don't go. So they apply for several hunts they know they are not likely to make. You know there has to be a high rate of no shows with them.

And there have been national campaigns to screw up state draws by animal rights organisations before. An org like Peta can kill a state hunt when it is only $3 a head for their members anywhere in the country to apply. They see it as for every hunt they draw, the $3 donation saved an animal.

It is a wonder they don't have more no shows than they do.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: kyotee1] #4645013 10/09/13 11:34 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: kyotee1
Each state has their own draw system including preference points.

Not Arkansas. I used to build preference points in Arkansas for a particular deer hunt I wanted to do in the future. Two or three years ago Arkansas completely did away with their preference point system because of people manipulating it. Rather than make some simple changes, they gave you a chance to use the points in the next draw or two, then wiped the slate clean.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: bigpigtx] #4654025 10/12/13 10:54 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Stand by usually has a better chance than the drawing.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: don k] #4657082 10/14/13 02:24 AM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: don k
Stand by usually has a better chance than the drawing.

That's has been my experience too.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: kyotee1] #4657443 10/14/13 04:22 AM
S
sqiggy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: kyotee1

The AEX hunt at Devil's River will not have standby positions available per the Special Restrictions for the Area within the Drawing hunt booklet and website.
Yep, no stand-bys. Didn't realize it till I got there. The only reason they don't do stand by is the guys at the park have no way to collect the permit fees.
This is 2013. Surely by now, TPWD would have figured out a way to do this. How much money did TPWD lose by not selling the other 15 permits?? A pretty good chump change.
Oh, by the way, I missed a aoudad but shot some kind of sheep. I was really after some axis but never found them. It was a good but HARD hunt. Another guy shot a ram, but shot at a bunch of animals. He had multiple shots every day. I ended up leaving early because of my draw hunt at Fort Boggy starting Monday.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: sqiggy] #4668933 10/17/13 06:25 PM
T
Topshot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
excuse my ignorance, but what are preference points? i would think, logically, that if you apply for a hunt and are selected and don't show it is a bad thing and you shouldn't be allowed to apply again...just thinking logically here.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Topshot] #4668983 10/17/13 06:45 PM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
They get their money either way. What's even worse than that is when there are 10 people chomping at the bit to win a stand by position and only a couple get in. Then the next day one of the selected hunters grabs all his stuff and leaves for good. Sometimes I wondered why those guys don't just stay home and let someone that really wants to be there the whole time and take advantage of the opportunity have it in stand by.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Chadillac] #4669352 10/17/13 09:10 PM
C
cml Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Enter my son for cooper youth hunt didnt get drawn again. How do you find out where to go for stand by?

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: cml] #4670887 10/18/13 02:35 PM
U
upsslim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
You go to the WMA office on the south side of the dam. Last year there was a lot more standby hunters than spots to hunt. Some didn't get to hunt. You need to be there by 10 AM. You signup, then after the drawn hunters pick their hunting area they put all the names in a hat and draw. My son got drawn this year. We will be there.
Good Luck.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: upsslim] #4670987 10/18/13 02:59 PM
C
cml Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks man for the info.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Topshot] #4671066 10/18/13 03:23 PM
S
sqiggy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Topshot
if you apply for a hunt and are selected and don't show it is a bad thing and you shouldn't be allowed to apply again...
Why???
I understand things do happen.
For example, my son drew a youth hunt in South Tex. I sent the letter back saying we would be there. The hunt was still weeks away. Little did I know the football team would still be in the play offs at the time of the hunt. So, Friday night, we were in Lufkin and then to be in around Three Rivers the next morning. Just couldn't make it happen.
Would that be fair that he could never apply again???
Also, preference points are points you get each year you do not draw. Other words, if you have 5 points, your name goes into the drawing 5 times. Once you draw a hunt, you go back to zero, whether you show up or not. If you show up as stand by and get to hunt, it does not change any points you have.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Chadillac] #4671085 10/18/13 03:29 PM
S
sqiggy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Chadillac
They get their money either way.
Not quite!!!
Just like this hunt I went on, they had 20 permits at $130 each. Only 5 sent their permit fees in for a total of $650. By the other 15 not sending the permit fee in and not allowing stand-bys, they lost $1950.
That alone might could have paid for some plumbing work badly needed at the site.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: sqiggy] #4671202 10/18/13 04:01 PM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I guess you're right. I didn't realize that they wouldn't allow stand by hunters to get in. I figured they only did that on the hunts that a person wouldn't miss (except for unforeseen reasons). Yeah, I agree, that doesn't make any sense to me either.

Last edited by Chadillac; 10/18/13 04:02 PM.

Re: Going for Stand-By [Re: Chadillac] #4671308 10/18/13 04:43 PM
P
pkhunter624 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Just because they take standby doesn't mean they will get all their money. I was just at matador for the archery hunt only 9 of 16 paid and only 1 standby showed up. TPWD needs to do something to stop people from getting picked and then not paying. May be more money up front.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide