NYYankee Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
N
Quote:

Quote:

Absolutey. Do you want to know how?

Sure, this oughta be interesting where else can you hunt for what we spend on leases for two months of rifle, a month of bow, and all the varmint and pig hunting you want the rest of the year, oh yeah and dont forget dove and turkey as well, I would be interested in knowing how you are going to have all these hunts for the price of a lease. Go ahead and explain!

In Upstate New York wilderness along the Great Lakes and in Pennsylvania you pay 68 dollars for a sportmens license that gives you pheasant, grouse, rabbit, turkey, furbearers, whitetail gun and archery, bear gun and archery. During deer season if you bow hunt you can take a buck with bow a buck with gun and 2 to 3 does depending on where you hunt. That's it you can pretty much drive along any country road hop outta your truck and hunt or hunt on the millions of acres of state and federal lands. I'm not paying anybody anything to hunt anything - against the whole prinipal of the thing you hunt to fill your freezer to save money on groceries.

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: Curtis] #408240 08/19/08 12:51 PM
N
NYYankee Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
N
Quote:

Quote:

I do hunt in a tom landry hat and suit and tie, because that is the way I roll, player. I'm thinking about importing some new yorkers and see how they work as bird retrievers, on second thought they would probably be union bird getters and have to take a break every 1.5 birds. I'd probably have to hire a seperate one just to pick up the whitewings.

ROFLMAO!!!

NYers dont shoot song birds like dove and white wings those birds ya look at under the bird feeder. We hunt real game birds like pheasant, ducks, grouse and turkeys and use well trained pointers to fetch em. Oh yeah and we don't shoot deer or bear under feeders either, baiting game animals -thats against the law.

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #408241 08/19/08 12:52 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Interesting, your willing to spend 8-12k a year traveling around the world to hunt. You complain about the price of hunting in TX. Is it just the overall cost or is it the cost that it would take to meet your expectations that you don't like about TX? I'm betting its your super high exceptions and what it takes to satisfy them. If that is the case then it would seem your more interested in shooting then enjoying hunting. I highly doubt your importing anything other then Heads, which there is no issue with that, just understand your expectations are different then others.

Before you comment on the quality of my BS again, 12-25k a year can get you a chunk of land, which in turn will probley make you money in the long run, but then again 100-150 acres probley not big enough to satisfy your sophisticated pallet.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #408242 08/19/08 12:55 PM
R
Redneck Messiah Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Quote:

P.S., don't forget to calculate the cost of gas or airfare into the bottom line )

Ever hear of air miles? Get a credit card that gives you airmiles and you're halfway there.

maybe its just me, but if i had the money or means to earn (air miles) i dont think i would have to worry about the price of a lease

Originally Posted By: cody
...give it to a homeless guy...he won't mind the stiffness
Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: NYYankee] #408243 08/19/08 01:00 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
"NYers dont shoot song birds like dove and white wings those birds ya look at under the bird feeder. We hunt real game birds like pheasant, ducks, grouse and turkeys and use well trained pointers to fetch em. Oh yeah and we don't shoot deer or bear under feeders either, baiting game animals -thats against the law."

So, if NY is so great, why are you here?

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: NYYankee] #408244 08/19/08 01:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
NYYankee-

I have friends from Michagan and they ask the same question, so I understand where your coming from.
You have to understand that your not comparing apples to apples. TX has very little public land. Texas is composed of large ranches. Even in recent years the average acreage per owner is still very large compared to the north east.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: JJH] #408245 08/19/08 01:05 PM
N
NYYankee Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
N
Quote:

"NYers dont shoot song birds like dove and white wings those birds ya look at under the bird feeder. We hunt real game birds like pheasant, ducks, grouse and turkeys and use well trained pointers to fetch em. Oh yeah and we don't shoot deer or bear under feeders either, baiting game animals -thats against the law."

Obivously not to hunt or pay anybody to hunt small deer. Would like to hunt some pheasants but that's a 150 a day can buy a lot of chicken for that.

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: NYYankee] #408246 08/19/08 01:09 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
That's great! I don't like the taste of duck. Pheasant is not too bad. Turkeys are good game birds and I enjoy hunting them sometimes. I have never hunted bear and we don't down here because its illegal. We can hunt the deer at feeders here in Texas. Its legal here. To each his own.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: NYYankee] #408247 08/19/08 01:09 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

NYers dont shoot song birds like dove and white wings those birds ya look at under the bird feeder. We hunt real game birds like pheasant, ducks, grouse and turkeys and use well trained pointers to fetch em. Oh yeah and we don't shoot deer or bear under feeders either, baiting game animals -thats against the law.

If you really want to know the truth, here it is. We really don't care how you or anyone else hunts in New York or any other state. We are Texans, we do things our way if you don't like it you are free to go home or to where ever else you want. But please quit your whining and crying or someone might just try to change your diaper.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: dogcatcher] #408248 08/19/08 01:15 PM
N
NYYankee Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
N
Dog Catcher, but wouldn't it be cool if ya could hunt whereever ya wanted to for just the price of a hunting license? Not whining just refuse to pay anybody to hunt anything in my mind its just WRONG.

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: NYYankee] #408249 08/19/08 01:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
So I can sit on your backporch and hunt?

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: JJH] #408250 08/19/08 01:20 PM
R
Redneck Messiah Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Quote:

JJH
Dont take him to seriously (no offence NY yankee) but thats just the way people are up there, I've been all over the state of NY probably over 100 times, from cheektowaga, to lowville, to NYC, they dont really mean anything by it, they are just oponiated or hardheaded as I, or some of us are, just in opposite ways.
Most of NY is absolutly beautiful country, and yes I'm a native TEXAN, and wouldnt have it any other way.
But like I said thats just the way they are, very quick to speak out or express their opinion, and as far as they are concerned its the only right one, not even willing to hear the other side, This dosn't make them bad people,... just hard as hell for us southern boys to figure out

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #408251 08/19/08 01:21 PM
N
NYYankee Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
N
No ya just have to be a 150 yards away from any dwelling.

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: dogcatcher] #408252 08/19/08 01:21 PM
J
jrs_39 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I'm from Texas, I live in Texas now, and have always hunted here. But in 1990 I got transferred to Hartford, Ct. I was up there for 7 years. Before I went, all I pictured in CT were estates and manicured lawns. I lived right in Hartford, but my deer stand on public land was 15 minutes from my door and I took three 200+ lb deer from that stand. In the spring, the CT river, which was one mile from my door, was full of herring, shad, and striper. I hate to say it, but from a sportsman's perspective, New England had a lot more to offer. Even though I will always be a Texan, I can see how somebody from that type of environment might feel shut out down here.

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: NYYankee] #408253 08/19/08 01:22 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have no problem we have our own place. Lease payments pay all of the bills and taxes and we make a profit. It is the Texas way, I like it. My grandpa used to say if you are in someone else's house you should do things their way and not complain. You should try it. it will make life a lot easier in Texas.

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: dogcatcher] #408254 08/19/08 01:26 PM
T
TexasShooter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I moved here from North Carolina, I was very lucky back there in that my grandfather had land that was passed to our family. My Grandfather was a hunter. One of my things I am most sorry about is that I never had the chance to hunt with him. I enjoyed not only hunting the land but spending time through out the year getting ready for the few weeks of hunting I could do. When I moved here I knew about the leases etc. Back then before the bottom fell out of our economy I was able to afford to go on package hunts. I took my son on hunts for does etc. I was not able to afford a buck hunt of any kind. My son learned to hunt and shot his first deer on a package hunt. When the bottom fell out of the telecom market I lost the chance to do that. We started hunting the few public lands in Texas, Crockett National forest. We were lucky to be drawn out for doe tags and we both had a great time camping in the camp ground there and were lucky enough to see some deer. Crockett stopped the doe tags so I started looking for something else. What I really wanted all along was a lease of some kind so that my son could learn about working year round to hunt not just leave the house and go hunt. We were lucky to find a lease in southeast Texas I could afford. We get to go down there once a month to fill feeders, look around and just spend some quality time together over all. Not nearly as many deer as there are in south Texas or even on my place in North Carolina but to me its not just about killing deer. Do I think that the cost of deer hunting is way too high, you bet it is. Will it change someday; yep I think that it will. One thing that everyone seems to forget is that hunting as we know it will be done and gone if we do not get our children involved. A lot of us middle class hunter have been priced out of hunting, everyone that we lose is a vote for the gun control people and the anti hunters of the world. I hate to see it change but that is life. Some day the land owner who now charges so much to lease their land will not be able to get anyone to hunt on it. The deer will over populate and have mass die offs because hunting was priced out of the hands of the majority of the people.

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: dogcatcher] #408255 08/19/08 01:35 PM
N
NYYankee Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
N
Quote:

I have no problem we have our own place. Lease payments pay all of the bills and taxes and we make a profit. It is the Texas way, I like it. My grandpa used to say if you are in someone else's house you should do things their way and not complain. You should try it. it will make life a lot easier in Texas.

My grandpa use to say filled all my tags and my freezers full you or any your friends need any venison.

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: NYYankee] #408256 08/19/08 01:37 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Quote:

Can someone please explain to me how the hunting lease practice got so far out of hand in Texas. Before moving here I never even heard of a hunting lease and no one I knew ever paid a guide or a landowner a penny to hunt for anything. How did this happen? As Vince Lombardi said "What the hell is going on around here?

Why doesn't anyone in the NE respect private property rights?

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: AmoCuernos] #408257 08/19/08 01:40 PM
N
NYYankee Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
N
Hunters in the north east do respect property rights. If the land has a posted sign you stop by the landowners house knock on the door and ask permission to hunt. Some say no most say go ahead and shake your hand. If you take anything ya offer them some meat or most really like a bottle of booze.

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: NYYankee] #408258 08/19/08 01:42 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
The difference is that Texans are very passionate about land owner rights, that includes who can and can not trespass. Many landowners in TX have had their land in their family for many generations. In a nut shell Land Owners look at their land just like you look at your home. Even on smaller properties that somebody bought recently in the last 20 years. Why should they pay thousands of dollars a year on a note so that you can hunt their land for free. Just My 2 cents.

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: NYYankee] #408259 08/19/08 01:46 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Here is a link that will help you find what you are looking for. http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1s=TX&2s=NY

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #408260 08/19/08 01:48 PM
N
NYYankee Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
N
Very passionate about fences along with that. Ya see upstate NY is mostly large farm land the landowners need hunters to manage the deer populations to cut down and minimize crop damage so hunting is mutually benificial and no money is exchanged.

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: jrs_39] #408261 08/19/08 01:51 PM
R
Redneck Messiah Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Quote:

I'm from Texas, I live in Texas now, and have always hunted here. But in 1990 I got transferred to Hartford, Ct. I was up there for 7 years. Before I went, all I pictured in CT were estates and manicured lawns. I lived right in Hartford, but my deer stand on public land was 15 minutes from my door and I took three 200+ lb deer from that stand. In the spring, the CT river, which was one mile from my door, was full of herring, shad, and striper. I hate to say it, but from a sportsman's perspective, New England had a lot more to offer. Even though I will always be a Texan, I can see how somebody from that type of environment might feel shut out down here.

Remember where this country started being settled, the East coast, mostly directly from Europe/England (mostly), I lot of ideals followed with them, living closley together, with not much room for individuals to own a lot of land, the farther West we moved, the more room there was, the attidudes changed. I worked hard for whats mine and it is my right to keep anyone off of, or charge for what they want, that i have,
The reolutionary wa was fought for the reason that we got tired of the government running everything/owning everything.

If i want to buy some land and hunt without 400 other people I dont know or trust out there with me thats my right, I'm not saying one is better than the other, just different. If people quit paying big $ to hunt, people will quit charging big $....period

A good friend of mine recently took a group of guys from Kansas to a big game ranch in central Texas, where they paid $2500 each to hunt exotics, If i had the land to raise exotics, and had people willing to pay for it why would i let them do it for free??

Free market economy......... The American way

And NY Yankee, In Hunts Point market,in the Bronx, when a company like Nebraska land meats, or Westside Poultry orders a truckload of meat why do the charge $300 to unload the product that they ordered???? The same deal in a way brother

Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: Crazyhorse] #408262 08/19/08 01:58 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Well, I see this has not been locked so it means there is still some dialog going on.

As for some of the comments about New Yorkers, I have had the priveledge of meeting several over the years, and for the most part once you get past that initial , they are pretty nice people.

Over the past few years on the javelina hunts, I have had clients from New York, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Colorado, Florida, and California, along with a few other states, and most of them really are dumbfounded with the way things are done here in Texas.

Now all my clients were just down here to hunt, not coming down here to live, so paying for hunting did not bother them in that instance.

Several of them did remark in conversations that they would not want to have to try and deal with the Pay For Hunting concept on a regular basis if they lived here.

Folks that come from states where there is a lot of various forms of public land, have options we don't have here in Texas, among those are the amounts of public land along with the distances traveled to get to decent hunting and fishing locations.

With that said, I want to turn back to SVB's comments about hunting in Texas, and one facet of the going to Africa theory that has not been covered.

SVB, you approach the issue as if everyone had the same interest as you, which appears to be traveling around the world and just shooting stuff for the trophies.

While there is a segment of the deer hunters in Texas that do mainly hunt for trophies and lease the properties they do, there is another segment that eats every deer/hog/dove/duck/turkey, whatever they kill off their lease.

One thing you can not do, and it is the very reason I went to Canada twice instead of going on a PG hunt in Namibia, is that you can not bring the meat home.

I am not a trophy hunter, and I do not intend on supplying meat to the starving pygmies in Africa.

Also, besides your, what I feel are skewed figures as to how much a hunt would actual cost in the long run, there is the element of time.

Many folks only get 2 weeks of vacation time a year, and in some cases those weeks are not consecutive.

At minimum, a 5 day PG hunt is going to require 10 days out of a persons life, and that would be putting a person under a lot of stress.

14 days/2 weeks would be a much more realistic time frame.

Now before you call on that statement, keep in mind, you have evidently been doing this for a while, so you know the shortcuts and already have connections.

Most of us local yokels don't.

Also before you tell me how wrong I am, if you are hunting 5 days and it takes 2 days travel time, minimum each way, that is 9 days right there.

How many folks are going to feel like going straight back to work the next day after flying in from Europe???

One last thought and added expense to your cheap Africa hunts versus the High Dollar Texas hunts, last time I looked, although I haven't checked about the country down around Beaumont and Port Arthur, I don't need a passport nor do I need to take shots for Malaria.

As many others have stated much more eloquently than I can, hunting in Texas is what it is, take it or leave it.

Last edited by Crazyhorse; 08/19/08 02:01 PM.
Re: Texas is All Hunt for Cash Why? [Re: Redneck Messiah] #408263 08/19/08 01:59 PM
N
NYYankee Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
N
Redneck, we don't live close together where I'm from my best friend owns My T Acres 300,000 acres of the most fertile muck land there is. Begining to understand more now would like to thank everyone for their insight. The farmers up north need the hunters to control the deer population to reduce crop damage the big land owners in texas need the hunters to help pay the note on the land and land taxes.

Last edited by NYYankee; 08/19/08 02:00 PM.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide