Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife #2680009 10/20/11 10:47 PM
J
JThoele Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
J
After going through the sharpness of 2 run of the mill buck knives to clean a buck yesterday, I am in the market for a high quality knife that fits the term "last I will need to buy in my lifetime". Not looking for a showpiece item with pearl grips and a mirror finish blade, but a knife that is classically elegant as it is tough and durable is a plus. Probably a 4-5" blade made of high quality material that will hold edge for more than one animal and won't require a rotary grinder to resharpen. A handle that won't slip and is comfortable but that is also not a piece of cheap plastic. A price that doesnt match a firearm... Not even a Hipoint or new englander firearm... Lastly more perks if it is American, if not texan made. Any superb knife makers on the forum to specifically suggest? Any factory knives I am overlooking?

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: JThoele] #2680525 10/21/11 01:53 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
There are many choices that will work better than a Buck. For off the rack reasonably price knives, Cold Steel, Benchmade, and Spyderco will run rings around a Buck.

sticshooter on the forum here makes very nice traditional type carbon steel hunting knives for a reasonable price. I have two of his and they usually are my go tos for deer cleaning, over some I had previously that cost more but did not work as well.

More expensive, but fitting your description are knives by Jerry Busse of Busse Combat. He makes each design in limited runs so if you do not care for the current release, then watch the for sale items at bladeforums. The prices start at $225 and go up from there depending on the model and number made. Busse's are heavier and thicker blades which I find helpful for cleaning the feral pigs. If I could have only one knife for the rest of my life and it had to do everything, it would be a Busse.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/804-Busse-Swamprat-Scrapyard-Knives-For-Sale

As for sharpening, a DMT stone is very helpful for sharpening the better quality knives, and an Edge Pro Apex is even better.

There are many other fine knife makers, but I have been very satisfied with my personal experience with the work of these two.

Good luck.

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: jeffbird] #2680884 10/21/11 03:28 AM
O
o2bwest Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I have some nice knifes, but I recently discovered the Havalons and I like them. It works just like any other folding knife but the blades are razor sharp and disposable. I wouldn't use one as a daily carry knife but for a skinner they are hard to beat. The blades are cheep and tough. http://www.havalon.com/the-piranta-knives.html

[Linked Image]

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: o2bwest] #2681031 10/21/11 04:36 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I bought one of these last year and I am very pleased with it. It is very sharp and holds a great edge. http://www.outdooredge.com/SwingBlaze-p/swingblaze.htm
Also get one of these to sharpen it with, best and easiest to use sharpener on the market today.
http://warthogsharp.com/product_details_2009.php?ProductID=1

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: o2bwest] #2681033 10/21/11 04:36 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: o2bwest
I have some nice knifes, but I recently discovered the Havalons and I like them. It works just like any other folding knife but the blades are razor sharp and disposable. I wouldn't use one as a daily carry knife but for a skinner they are hard to beat. The blades are cheep and tough. http://www.havalon.com/the-piranta-knives.html

x2 I have one of these and they are excellent for caping.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: stxranchman] #2681855 10/21/11 04:12 PM
W
Wader Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Regardless of the knife you end up with, keep a chef's steel on hand and hit it frequently. I prefer a ceramic one, but they tend to snap a little too easily in the field. I keep a ceramic steel in the camper, and keep a steel steel in my pack. Put a lanyard on the steel and clip it to your belt. Anytime you take your blade from the animal give it a couple of good strokes on the steel to dress the edge again. In a pinch you can use the back of another knife as long as it is nice and smooth. I also keep a small whetstone on hand in case the knife starts getting dull. If you never let the blade get too far gone sharpening is quick and easy, and only a few passes will have it cutting great again.

Much like the Havalon above, but way cheaper, is a utility knife. After years of muddy hogs I started to use a utility knife for any cuts through hair, especially the hocks. If anything is hard on a knife edge it is dried mud.

Last note, I would never recommend the use any form of electric grinder on any blade that did not have dire need of a completely new edge, or practical remanufacture. My honest opinion is 99% of electric knife sharpeners main purpose is to wreck blades and keep knife makers in business. They wreck blades in several ways, you slip and gouge the blade, you put on a terrible edge profile, or worst of all you heat the blade and wreck the temper so that it will never hold an edge again. Everyone should be able to use a stone, but if more is needed go find your favorite meat cutter and ask who sharpens his knives. Chances are you can drop off your knives with him and he will have his guy do it, providing he does not sharpen his own.

Just my 2cents

-ww

Originally Posted by Robert A. Heinlein
A thousand reasoned opinions never equal to one case of diving in and finding out.
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: o2bwest] #2682585 10/21/11 08:46 PM
P
pafree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P

i just thought i didn't need another knife in my cleaning bag. i am using a quick change blade, folding utility knife now for the hog skin. at work when a case gets cancelled, all the scalpel blades get trashed. they would fit in this handle.

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: pafree] #2704006 10/29/11 08:22 PM
N
nuprofessor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Need to buy a Marine KBar. My son has one. Cleaned three deer and two hogs with it- still have not had to resharpen it.

CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE FOR TOMORROW. INVEST IN TOMORROW BY TAKING A CHILD HUNTING OR FISHING TODAY.
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: stxranchman] #2704089 10/29/11 09:16 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

x2 I have one of these and they are excellent for caping.

I picked one up with the orange handle so far like it...hopefully let you know how it works tonight

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2707146 10/31/11 07:20 AM
H
Henryseale Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I really like my Marble's "Plainsman". Good carbon steel blade that takes an edge real good. Feels good in your hand and price is reasonable. Made in USA. Best place to get one online probably is Smokey Mountain Knife Works. I think they are about $50-60 or so and well worth it.

"...Why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for, because it's the only thing that lasts."
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: Henryseale] #2708952 10/31/11 09:23 PM
S
scot Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Call me crazy but I've had great luck with Gerber Gut Hook knives. One is a gator and one is a more expensive cabelas model.

Only 2 knives I've ever used but they have never been sharpened and have been through 4-5 animals and sill hold a great edge. The gut hook makes getting through the hide easies and most of the meat cutting I don't feel like tears up the blades too bad.

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: scot] #2712743 11/01/11 11:50 PM
T
thewrap Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Gerber is the best knife I've owned. I sharpened it at the beginning of the season went through three deer over the whole season without having to sharpen it again. Hogs on the other hand I have to sharpen it frequently to be able to keep cutting. Still a great knife and well worth the money.

Jesse Reynolds
Professional Home Inspector TREC ID# 21526
www.integrityhomeinspectionservice.com
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: thewrap] #2792253 11/29/11 03:45 AM
P
proudveteran74 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
What about Knives of Alaska? Anyone had any experience with these?

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: proudveteran74] #2797107 11/30/11 04:37 PM
A
Anteater Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Originally Posted By: proudveteran74

I had some until last week when someone needed them more than me. Now that I am in the market for new knives, nothing seems to be as good as my knives of alaska. Best knives I have ever used, and 100% going to replace with the same thing. As a guide I have used many different brands and types over the years. KoA are the best for me. Plus they are made in Austin.

I eat what I kill, but I don't always kill what I eat.
Girlfriend Wife: "Why am I here?"
Me: "So I do not have to open the gate!"
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: Anteater] #2798377 11/30/11 11:19 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have always used folding knives made by Case or Buck. They work for me.

Anteater, what distinguishes the KoA in your experience?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: Dave Davidson] #2800700 12/01/11 05:53 PM
A
Anteater Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
I just enjoy the way they feel in my hand. Good grip, good edge, stays sharp, easy to clean. You do have to be careful with the D2 steel, but I am. Plus as I stated before not only made in USA but Made in Texas.

I eat what I kill, but I don't always kill what I eat.
Girlfriend Wife: "Why am I here?"
Me: "So I do not have to open the gate!"
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: Anteater] #2802245 12/02/11 02:02 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Careful with D2 steel.

What does that mean?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: Dave Davidson] #2808214 12/04/11 05:53 PM
R
Retired Sgt. Gilliam Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: Henryseale] #2809011 12/04/11 11:42 PM
D
Destroyer Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
I like the Case Sod Buster's for everyday use. Have gutted many deer with it. But, if you are looking for a fixed blade, I have this one:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/GB01841/gerber-wallowa-stag-#reviews

and have been very pleased as well.

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: o2bwest] #2821020 12/08/11 06:55 PM
T
Trust Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

Been using 1 of these this year and they are great especially if you are just quartering an animal.

soakitincider
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: Trust] #2821075 12/08/11 07:12 PM
K
Kiko-G Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
You can get a hunting knife and pay big $ for it if you would like. I have them as well and did use them. Now I have been using a victorinox-forschner curved boning knife. This is what a butcher will use all day long. I also use a curved victorinox-forschner skinning knife. If I would pick only 1 knife, the curved boning knife will be the one.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/semi-flexible-curved-boning-knife-p120996

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/curved-skinning-knife-p110796

Can't beat the price for the quality.

Last edited by Kiko-G; 12/08/11 07:21 PM.
Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: Kiko-G] #2821424 12/08/11 09:39 PM
N
Nightlight Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
If you can find someone who sells Cutco, buy the outdoor knife. It has exceeded my expectations to say the least. Have had it for about 13 years and still cuts like it is brand new, and still have not had to send it to the factory for sharpening.

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: Anteater] #2827826 12/11/11 07:08 PM
RKHarm24 Offline
sergeant
sergeant
Originally Posted By: Anteater
Originally Posted By: proudveteran74

I had some until last week when someone needed them more than me. Now that I am in the market for new knives, nothing seems to be as good as my knives of alaska. Best knives I have ever used, and 100% going to replace with the same thing. As a guide I have used many different brands and types over the years. KoA are the best for me. Plus they are made in Austin.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/index.asp

Made right here in Denison, Tx. BUT, bought mine from Smoky Mtn Knife Works, ? 15-17 YEARS ago.. $110.00
http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=23
Charles Allen is a pretty nice guy.

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: Henryseale] #2828043 12/11/11 08:41 PM
M
matt117 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
After reading up on those cutco I want one.

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife [Re: matt117] #2829249 12/12/11 03:45 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Gerber Profile. 18 bucks at Wally World, they work very well and are inexpensive enough to keep one in the pack and an extra in the truck. Sheath for them is ugly as all get out but they seem to hold a pretty decent edge.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide