Texas Hunting Forum

Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife

Posted By: JThoele

Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 10/20/11 10:47 PM

After going through the sharpness of 2 run of the mill buck knives to clean a buck yesterday, I am in the market for a high quality knife that fits the term "last I will need to buy in my lifetime". Not looking for a showpiece item with pearl grips and a mirror finish blade, but a knife that is classically elegant as it is tough and durable is a plus. Probably a 4-5" blade made of high quality material that will hold edge for more than one animal and won't require a rotary grinder to resharpen. A handle that won't slip and is comfortable but that is also not a piece of cheap plastic. A price that doesnt match a firearm... Not even a Hipoint or new englander firearm... Lastly more perks if it is American, if not texan made. Any superb knife makers on the forum to specifically suggest? Any factory knives I am overlooking?

Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 10/21/11 01:53 AM

There are many choices that will work better than a Buck. For off the rack reasonably price knives, Cold Steel, Benchmade, and Spyderco will run rings around a Buck.

sticshooter on the forum here makes very nice traditional type carbon steel hunting knives for a reasonable price. I have two of his and they usually are my go tos for deer cleaning, over some I had previously that cost more but did not work as well.

More expensive, but fitting your description are knives by Jerry Busse of Busse Combat. He makes each design in limited runs so if you do not care for the current release, then watch the for sale items at bladeforums. The prices start at $225 and go up from there depending on the model and number made. Busse's are heavier and thicker blades which I find helpful for cleaning the feral pigs. If I could have only one knife for the rest of my life and it had to do everything, it would be a Busse.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/804-Busse-Swamprat-Scrapyard-Knives-For-Sale

As for sharpening, a DMT stone is very helpful for sharpening the better quality knives, and an Edge Pro Apex is even better.

There are many other fine knife makers, but I have been very satisfied with my personal experience with the work of these two.

Good luck.

Posted By: o2bwest

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 10/21/11 03:28 AM

I have some nice knifes, but I recently discovered the Havalons and I like them. It works just like any other folding knife but the blades are razor sharp and disposable. I wouldn't use one as a daily carry knife but for a skinner they are hard to beat. The blades are cheep and tough. http://www.havalon.com/the-piranta-knives.html

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 10/21/11 04:36 AM

I bought one of these last year and I am very pleased with it. It is very sharp and holds a great edge. http://www.outdooredge.com/SwingBlaze-p/swingblaze.htm
Also get one of these to sharpen it with, best and easiest to use sharpener on the market today.
http://warthogsharp.com/product_details_2009.php?ProductID=1

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 10/21/11 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: o2bwest
I have some nice knifes, but I recently discovered the Havalons and I like them. It works just like any other folding knife but the blades are razor sharp and disposable. I wouldn't use one as a daily carry knife but for a skinner they are hard to beat. The blades are cheep and tough. http://www.havalon.com/the-piranta-knives.html

x2 I have one of these and they are excellent for caping.

Posted By: Wader

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 10/21/11 04:12 PM

Regardless of the knife you end up with, keep a chef's steel on hand and hit it frequently. I prefer a ceramic one, but they tend to snap a little too easily in the field. I keep a ceramic steel in the camper, and keep a steel steel in my pack. Put a lanyard on the steel and clip it to your belt. Anytime you take your blade from the animal give it a couple of good strokes on the steel to dress the edge again. In a pinch you can use the back of another knife as long as it is nice and smooth. I also keep a small whetstone on hand in case the knife starts getting dull. If you never let the blade get too far gone sharpening is quick and easy, and only a few passes will have it cutting great again.

Much like the Havalon above, but way cheaper, is a utility knife. After years of muddy hogs I started to use a utility knife for any cuts through hair, especially the hocks. If anything is hard on a knife edge it is dried mud.

Last note, I would never recommend the use any form of electric grinder on any blade that did not have dire need of a completely new edge, or practical remanufacture. My honest opinion is 99% of electric knife sharpeners main purpose is to wreck blades and keep knife makers in business. They wreck blades in several ways, you slip and gouge the blade, you put on a terrible edge profile, or worst of all you heat the blade and wreck the temper so that it will never hold an edge again. Everyone should be able to use a stone, but if more is needed go find your favorite meat cutter and ask who sharpens his knives. Chances are you can drop off your knives with him and he will have his guy do it, providing he does not sharpen his own.

Just my 2cents

-ww

Posted By: pafree

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 10/21/11 08:46 PM

i just thought i didn't need another knife in my cleaning bag. i am using a quick change blade, folding utility knife now for the hog skin. at work when a case gets cancelled, all the scalpel blades get trashed. they would fit in this handle.

Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 10/29/11 08:22 PM

Need to buy a Marine KBar. My son has one. Cleaned three deer and two hogs with it- still have not had to resharpen it.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 10/29/11 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

x2 I have one of these and they are excellent for caping.

I picked one up with the orange handle so far like it...hopefully let you know how it works tonight

Posted By: Henryseale

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 10/31/11 07:20 AM

I really like my Marble's "Plainsman". Good carbon steel blade that takes an edge real good. Feels good in your hand and price is reasonable. Made in USA. Best place to get one online probably is Smokey Mountain Knife Works. I think they are about $50-60 or so and well worth it.

Posted By: scot

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 10/31/11 09:23 PM

Call me crazy but I've had great luck with Gerber Gut Hook knives. One is a gator and one is a more expensive cabelas model.

Only 2 knives I've ever used but they have never been sharpened and have been through 4-5 animals and sill hold a great edge. The gut hook makes getting through the hide easies and most of the meat cutting I don't feel like tears up the blades too bad.

Posted By: thewrap

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 11/01/11 11:50 PM

Gerber is the best knife I've owned. I sharpened it at the beginning of the season went through three deer over the whole season without having to sharpen it again. Hogs on the other hand I have to sharpen it frequently to be able to keep cutting. Still a great knife and well worth the money.

Posted By: proudveteran74

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 11/29/11 03:45 AM

What about Knives of Alaska? Anyone had any experience with these?

Posted By: Anteater

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 11/30/11 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: proudveteran74

I had some until last week when someone needed them more than me. Now that I am in the market for new knives, nothing seems to be as good as my knives of alaska. Best knives I have ever used, and 100% going to replace with the same thing. As a guide I have used many different brands and types over the years. KoA are the best for me. Plus they are made in Austin.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 11/30/11 11:19 PM

I have always used folding knives made by Case or Buck. They work for me.

Anteater, what distinguishes the KoA in your experience?

Posted By: Anteater

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/01/11 05:53 PM

I just enjoy the way they feel in my hand. Good grip, good edge, stays sharp, easy to clean. You do have to be careful with the D2 steel, but I am. Plus as I stated before not only made in USA but Made in Texas.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/02/11 02:02 AM

Careful with D2 steel.

What does that mean?

Posted By: Retired Sgt. Gilliam

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/04/11 05:53 PM

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2740062/gerber_s_bear_grylls_survival_

Posted By: Destroyer

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/04/11 11:42 PM

I like the Case Sod Buster's for everyday use. Have gutted many deer with it. But, if you are looking for a fixed blade, I have this one:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/GB01841/gerber-wallowa-stag-#reviews

and have been very pleased as well.

Posted By: Trust

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/08/11 06:55 PM

Been using 1 of these this year and they are great especially if you are just quartering an animal.

Posted By: Kiko-G

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/08/11 07:12 PM

You can get a hunting knife and pay big $ for it if you would like. I have them as well and did use them. Now I have been using a victorinox-forschner curved boning knife. This is what a butcher will use all day long. I also use a curved victorinox-forschner skinning knife. If I would pick only 1 knife, the curved boning knife will be the one.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/semi-flexible-curved-boning-knife-p120996

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/curved-skinning-knife-p110796

Can't beat the price for the quality.

Posted By: Nightlight

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/08/11 09:39 PM

If you can find someone who sells Cutco, buy the outdoor knife. It has exceeded my expectations to say the least. Have had it for about 13 years and still cuts like it is brand new, and still have not had to send it to the factory for sharpening.

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/11/11 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Anteater

I had some until last week when someone needed them more than me. Now that I am in the market for new knives, nothing seems to be as good as my knives of alaska. Best knives I have ever used, and 100% going to replace with the same thing. As a guide I have used many different brands and types over the years. KoA are the best for me. Plus they are made in Austin.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/index.asp

Made right here in Denison, Tx. BUT, bought mine from Smoky Mtn Knife Works, ? 15-17 YEARS ago.. $110.00
http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=23
Charles Allen is a pretty nice guy.

Posted By: matt117

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/11/11 08:41 PM

After reading up on those cutco I want one.

Posted By: tth_40

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/12/11 03:45 AM

Gerber Profile. 18 bucks at Wally World, they work very well and are inexpensive enough to keep one in the pack and an extra in the truck. Sheath for them is ugly as all get out but they seem to hold a pretty decent edge.

Posted By: Sami

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/12/11 05:46 AM

I've been pretty happy with this one. It's light, sharp and fits well. I also have a short blade compact fillet knife from Fiskars that is a good companion for it.

Marttiini knives are high quality as well and they are pretty low cost for what you're getting. The wood handle Rapala branded fillet knives at Bass Pro & Cabela's are made by Marttiini.

http://www.amazon.com/Marttiini-Knives-S...0140662-6440028
http://www.amazon.com/Marttiini-Knives-3...998&sr=1-18
http://www.amazon.com/Marttiini-Knives-P...031&sr=1-28

Low cost option:
http://www.amazon.com/Marttiini-Knives-5...7998&sr=1-3

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/13/11 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: matt117

You will not be disappointed

Posted By: matt117

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/14/11 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Nightlight
Originally Posted By: matt117

You will not be disappointed

Are you using the drop point? Which model?

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/14/11 05:35 PM

I believe they are the clip point outdoor knife with double d edge, have both orange and black handle models... I just looked at their website and it looks like they have added more options since I bought them. As long as you get one with the double d edge I figure you cant go wrong.

I may be asking for the pearl handle one for x-mas he he he smile

Posted By: Mikeflies

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/15/11 06:50 PM

Look at getting a damascus knive made. Different makers charge different price but most will start about $150 on up. They hold there edge and are just cool to have. Look on this website for knive makers and work out a deal for one, you will not regret it & it will be a one of a kind made just for you.

Posted By: billybob

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/16/11 01:38 AM

I really don't recommend a damascus blade for an all around hog and deer cleaning knife. Stick to your high end stainless or maybe even D2 materials. Damascus is nice to look at but in the field it is a pain...poor rusting qualities, poor edge retention. Once your damascus knife becomes rusty you have to re-etch the whole blade. You will have to care for it as you would a collectors piece firearm. Just my 2cents

Posted By: Mikeflies

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/17/11 03:08 AM

Billybob,

I have had a damascus for yrs now & never had a rust issue or had trouble holding an edge. There are many makers of dasmascus & it seems some use questionable material that may rust &/or not hold an edge. I also have some nice SS knives but they do not hold an edge like my damascus.

Posted By: billybob

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/17/11 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Mikeflies
Billybob,

I have had a damascus for yrs now & never had a rust issue or had trouble holding an edge. There are many makers of dasmascus & it seems some use questionable material that may rust &/or not hold an edge. I also have some nice SS knives but they do not hold an edge like my damascus.

You must be taking extra care with it. The 2 carbon steels most commonly used in damascus are 1095 and 5160...both rust very easily. 5160 is a little better but still rusts. This is why you don't see well known manufacturers of hunting or military knives use damascus. As far as edge retention that pretty much depends on the heat treat. D2 and 440C steels can generally be used to clean and skin 3-4 animals before needing a touch up. Determining the optimum RC is a little more difficult with damascus due to the combination of mixture of high carbon and nickel steels.

Posted By: cgwig

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/18/11 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Trust

Been using 1 of these this year and they are great especially if you are just quartering an animal.

Got one of these for my Bday, they are scary sharp. They are great for skinning.

Posted By: MikeC

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/18/11 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: billybob
Originally Posted By: Mikeflies
Billybob,

You must be taking extra care with it. The 2 carbon steels most commonly used in damascus are 1095 and 5160...both rust very easily. 5160 is a little better but still rusts. This is why you don't see well known manufacturers of hunting or military knives use damascus. As far as edge retention that pretty much depends on the heat treat. D2 and 440C steels can generally be used to clean and skin 3-4 animals before needing a touch up. Determining the optimum RC is a little more difficult with damascus due to the combination of mixture of high carbon and nickel steels.

The billets that I use are 5160, 52100, 15N20 and 203N. I've never had a problem with them rusting or holding an edge. Most of the feedback that I get from my customers is exactly the opposite. They are impressed with their edge holding ability. I've had customers reply back that they have dressed 4 or 5 hogs and their knife is still going.
That being said my Damascus billets are made here in the USA. You can buy pre-ground Damascus blades from a lot of the knife making supply places but odds are they are cheap imports from India or Pakistan. They may be made from old tin cans for all I know but I do know they aren't any good.
Just one more reason that I buy quality Damascus billets made here in the US and then cut, profile, grind, heat treat, etch and add the edge profile to the blades myself.
Just my 2cents

Posted By: Nate C.

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/22/11 04:54 AM

I'm another big fan of the Cutco outdoor knife. It has done very well. That bright orange handle is a bonus, too.

Posted By: birddog14

Re: Wtb an all purpose deer/ hog cleaning knife - 12/25/11 02:19 AM

I have a bunch of the KOA knives...great knives

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum