Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: Crazyhorse] #238260 10/24/07 09:34 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There are over 6500 members on THF. How many even voted in the last state or national election? I don't have that answer but I would be willing to be the percentage is not any higher than any other group.

Next question, how many comments or opinions are written on here daily? Again I don't have the answer but I will say it is a heck of a lot. Now how many of these same people have written their representatives in Washington and Austin in the last year? I bet you a $10 bill to a donut it is less than 10% of the members.

I write a letter to my clowns in Austin and Washington so much that I could almost use bulk rate mail service. Do they listen, yes, but they listen a lot more when there are a 1000 letters on the same subject than when there is only 10 or even a 100.

If everyone wants to stop Austin from doing some of the stupid things they do, you all have to get involved not just the 10% or even 20%. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, that is one of the reasons outfits like PETA Sierra Club get what they want, They do something besides sitting around and complaining amongst themselves.

My dimes worth.

Have you sent a letter about any of your concerns to your representative? No? Then DO IT.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: 7mag] #238261 10/24/07 10:49 PM
P
PKnTX Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Quote:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dang it Phillip!!!! Why did you have to throw in the Whitetail deer????

Hey Roy,
I can't and don't blame anyone for taking
an opportunity to make money or to do what
they they love (I'd probably jump at the
chance regardless of my whining here).
There's many of us on this forum that have
idealistic views, just can't help it.

As for getting involved politically either
by showing up to TPWD meetings or writing
representatives, count me as QUILTY of not
doing it. Just another issue I need to look
at myself on.

Hope everyone is having and continues to have
a good season.

PK

Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: PKnTX] #238262 10/24/07 10:59 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
No problem PK Are you going to hunt our neck of the woods this year??? Or????

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: PKnTX] #238263 10/25/07 12:01 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

QUILTY

I thought that was something our aunts and grandmothers did so they could exchange gossip.

Wait, maybe I was thinking about Quilting.

Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: HupDog Daddy] #238264 10/25/07 12:56 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Quote:

I agreee with the sentiment. It is terrible what has happened to and with deer hunting in Texas. I think a large part of what is /has taken place is that the farmers aren't making as much money farming any more. The city dwellers because of their wish to get out and away from the city and hunt, throw money at the farmer to allow them to shoot his pesky deer. Farmer John sees away to make an easy cash crop.
Not much involvement on his part, just collect the cash. Not that I blame either one. Like you say just sad.

I don't begrudge anybody maximizing the return on their investment but I don't think increased cost of hunting leases is due to loss of farm income.

Quote:

The USDA estimates that farm net income will reach $87 billion this year, nearly 50% higher than in 2006.

Link to WSJ article

The premium value of farmland in the current market may be driving prices up for hunting leases if it impacts the farmers ability to grow crops on the same land. I don't know enough about deer hunting or leases to know if that is an a issue or not but seems like it could have an impact. You may have to set up the deer camp between the corn rows at the rate things are going.

Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: 7mag] #238265 10/25/07 01:19 AM
P
PKnTX Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Quote:

Are you going to hunt our neck of the woods this year??? Or????

Man I am really hoping to, LOVED it out there!
Unfortunately my generous cousin that let us
shoot MLD does on his lease is having some
health issues so that's where my prayers are
going now. I'll let you know what's up toward
the end of the year.

Take care and have a good week,
PK

Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: Crazyhorse] #238266 10/25/07 01:23 AM
P
PKnTX Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Quote:

Quote:

QUILTY

I thought that was something our aunts and grandmothers did so they could exchange gossip.

Wait, maybe I was thinking about Quilting.

I guess it was harder to admit than
I thought it would be

GUILTY

PK

Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: ndhunter] #238267 10/25/07 01:53 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Unless you grow cotton, there ain't too much to raise in Texas unless you are in a specific market like grapes or peanuts. We grow cattle and horns. Land in Texas has gone because they are not making any more and recreational value.

Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: Txduckman] #238268 10/25/07 02:08 AM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Duckman, if your statement were true Texas would be in sad shape. Cotton is not the only thing that grows well in Texas! Lets touch on wheat, rye, oats, corn, and what about soy beans? Then you have maize and sudan and coastal grasses and I could go on. Texas is an agricultural state along with some really fine minerals and oil and gas.

Last edited by Cool_Hand; 10/25/07 02:09 AM.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: Cool_Hand] #238269 10/25/07 02:13 AM
Rwuensch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Quote:

Duckman, if your statement were true Texas would be in sad shape. Cotton is not the only thing that grows well in Texas! Lets touch on wheat, rye, oats, corn, and what about soy beans? Then you have maize and sudan and coastal grasses and I could go on. Texas is an agricultural state along with some really fine minerals and oil and gas.

And it grows some mighty nice hunters indeed!

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "smart"?
Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: Cool_Hand] #238270 10/25/07 02:21 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Yes my statement was naive to leave out the other crops. But cotton is the #1 cash crop in Texas bringing in more money than any other. But Texas rural land is about 60% rangeland for ranching and hunting. 11 is pasture of grasses. Only 18% is actually cropland.

Other states in the midwest is mainly crop land where most of their economy is crops. I didn't mean to leave out soybeans and corn. Just south of Dallas it is mainly corn but there hasn't been a crop for a while until this year. If you look at land prices, cropland is less per acre than rangeland which is used for hunting. Sad but true.

Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: Txduckman] #238271 10/25/07 02:30 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
This seems to be taken a theme closed to the post, “Where does the average guy get to hunt?”

Bottom line, is that hunting has changed and is continuing to change. The question is where is it going, seems that there are less people taking up hunting, which gives hunters less of a political vote.

I asked was there any organization that only represented hunters, the list is as follows:

ASA053 Archery Shooters Association

BM0052 Buckmasters

CSF001 Christian Sportsmen's Fellowship

DU0076 Ducks Unlimited

FWIS58 Foundation for North American Wild Sheep

HSSH93 Hunting & Shooting Sports Heritage Fund

ITA059 International Archery Federation

IBO060 International Bowhunting Organization

MDF001 Mule Deer Foundation

NAA062 National Archery Association

NHA032 National Hunters Association

NRA064 National Rifle Association

NSSF65 National Shooting Sports Foundation

NWTF66 National Wild Turkey Federation

NAB069 North American Bowhunters

PF0070 Pheasants Forever

PBHS01 Professional Bowhunters Society

QU0073 Quail Unlimited

RMBS01 Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society

RMEF74 Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

SCI075 Safari Club International

TRGS33 The Ruffed Grouse Society

USSA03 U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance

WTU078 Whitetails Unlimited

\\

Does anyone know if these organization work with one another and do they focus there efforts?

I haven’t decided which one to join, but DU and SCI are on my top two. While this state does make a lot of money on the Deer Business, it comes down to who has the loudest voice that will determine the future of hunting.

Remember folks, you boil a frog by turning the heat up slowly.

Just my .02 worth.

[Linked Image]
Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: Txduckman] #238272 10/25/07 03:02 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

If you look at land prices, cropland is less per acre than rangeland which is used for hunting. Sad but true.

My grandfather bought a pasture in the early 50s during the drought. It cost him $50 an acre back then, now because of the deer on it and the location it would sell for $2000 an acre. As far as ranch land it is not worth crap, cactus mesquite, and cedar with caliche instead of dirt. 1/2 mile down the highway is some really good farm land that 4 years ago sold for $400 an acre.

Now the landowner of that pasture should get a return on the value of the land, figure 3% and that lease for deer hunting gets to be high dollar, because the owner will not earn much on a cattle or sheep operation.

Something to think about.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: Crazyhorse] #238273 10/25/07 12:05 PM
HighTechRedneck Offline
redman
redman

1st. Find out how many registered voters there are in Texas.

2nd. Find out how many resident hunting license were sold in 2006.

3rd. See what the % difference there is between license buying hunters and registered voter numbers.

This why we need to get as many kids as we can in the fields and on the water and pass on what was passed on to us. Get them interested in the outdoors and away from game boys, TV, computers as much as possible before they are too influenced by non-hunters/tree huggers and we end up loosing a complete generation. A lot of people are in the dark as to what hunters and hunting organizations actually do to help the wild life and the land just because they are not informed by our groups but you better believe they see and hear the other groups side of the story. Back when my daughter was in college she had to write a story on a controversial subject. She came home and asked me if I had any ideals. Well, yes as a matter of fact. So I suggested that she write about the argument between hunters and non-hunters, about what hunters and hunting organizations actually do to improve the land and wildlife compared to what the non’s do and say against outdoors people. Now She is a fact’s not opinion type person, if you are going to get in a discussion and try to prove a point to her let me tell you, you better be armed with facts and not opinions. Ha Ha. She went to work, She borrowed my hunting mag’s, did research, complied all of her info about what the different organizations do such as Ducks Unlimited, Elk Foundation Etc., where our tax dollars are supposed to be directed and wrote her story. Long story short, her professor was so impressed that she kept her after class and wanted to know more, that She never knew or even heard that side of the facts and had a total change of heart and mind about hunters/fishers. So I guess I said all of this to say, we need as a group to teach the young ones and to let our voices be heard. Speak with facts and proof to back up what we say. Quit fighting amongst us and back each and every hunter whether they hunt low fence, high fence, feeders or game trails, pigs, quail, or ducks, hunt with a gun or with a bow, with a in-line or traditional. We have or work cut out for us if we are going to save a tradition! OK, excuse me as I step down off soapbox. JMHO!

VEGETARIAN,
an old Indian word for
Poor Hunter!
www.teamredneck.net
www.vaportrailscents.com
Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: Txduckman] #238274 10/25/07 02:04 PM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Quote:

Yes my statement was naive to leave out the other crops. But cotton is the #1 cash crop in Texas bringing in more money than any other. But Texas rural land is about 60% rangeland for ranching and hunting. 11 is pasture of grasses. Only 18% is actually cropland.

Other states in the midwest is mainly crop land where most of their economy is crops. I didn't mean to leave out soybeans and corn. Just south of Dallas it is mainly corn but there hasn't been a crop for a while until this year. If you look at land prices, cropland is less per acre than rangeland which is used for hunting. Sad but true.

Yes its sad in a way but thats how I make my living. Cattle is a secondary living eventhough its still high up on the ladder as a money making proposition. The farming aspect of it comes in to raising our own feed and hay for our cattle. I guess if you wanted to concentrate on an area that raises fruits and veggies for profit, it would have to be the Valley. There are also some large pecan and peach orchards in the state.

Right now at this time things seem to high in cost when it comes to package hunting. This is only a statement that is an opinion so bear with me. In the not to distant future season and yearly leases will become less numerous and eventually become a rarity. Maybe by then prices will start to modify because of competition. I can remember when leases were a dime a dozen and you could get on one very reasonabily cheap. Now your leases have gone out of sight because of there being less of them. Right now at our place if you are booked to deer hunt, the deer or buck will start at $1500.00 and go up from there. Like I say in the future these prices will change I believe for the better. But for now we're getting all the traffic will bare. My2cents

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Domestication lamentation [Re: Fistula] #238275 10/25/07 06:21 PM
N
nthrolhntr Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
N
Quote:

Just wait till they decide they want to put deer on their to-do list.

Too late, Fistula. Four years ago took my wife on her first motor tour of the western U.S. We spent a few days with a college friend of mine and his wife in Paradise, CA. Very nice - up in the foothills - but, just like living in north Dallas except for the slightly more open area close around.

The deer there are like pets. Every morning and evening there were 3-7 deer in the yard. The wife puts out food for them and so do many of the neighbors. Ruth, Charlie's wife, had actually hand fed and petted one of the young does that spring. No hunting ever in the county, even outside city limits. If you saw a diseased or injured deer you called animal control. Charlie's comment was, "You think rabbits will chew up your stuff. Until you have deer you ain't seen nothing."

The Chamber of Commerce had a resident recruiting brochure at the time stating the people to deer ratio in the city limits was about 40 to 1. Seemed a little high to me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide