Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: How close is to close? [Re: wellingtontx] #216898 10/08/07 02:12 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

Just got back from my lease this weekend (10-07-07). Same problem, been hunting property for years with well established blind and feeders. Discovered new hunters set up feeder directly on fence line and blind 100 yards away overlooking my property. Contacted landowner while out on property to no avail. If it wouldnt mess up my hunting, feel like going out there opening morning dressed in total blaze orange and sitting a lawn chair next to the fence, on my property, beside his feeder. Perhaps a pop up blind next to the fence with one of those portable toilets inside would be best.

Welcome to THF, wellingtontx

Have you had a chance to talk to the new guys? Is your feeder/blind obvious from their viewpoint?

A good ol' sitdown might remedy the problem.

Re: How close is to close? [Re: Big Orn] #216899 10/08/07 02:17 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

Just got back from my lease this weekend (10-07-07). Same problem, been hunting property for years with well established blind and feeders. Discovered new hunters set up feeder directly on fence line and blind 100 yards away overlooking my property. Contacted landowner while out on property to no avail. If it wouldnt mess up my hunting, feel like going out there opening morning dressed in total blaze orange and sitting a lawn chair next to the fence, on my property, beside his feeder. Perhaps a pop up blind next to the fence with one of those portable toilets inside would be best.

Have you had a chance to talk to the new guys? Is your feeder/blind obvious from their viewpoint?

A good ol' @sswhoopin might remedy the problem.

Great advice there Orn

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: How close is to close? [Re: cattle69] #216900 10/08/07 02:18 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Well that kind of makes since I guess... I sure don't want to be known as a toe tapper I also see that if your lease is flat field and your neighbor's lease is deep woods and you put a feeder right next to the fence that you are trying to draw deer on your side.

That being said... they still are not "his" deer though and in essance we are all trying to draw and or keep the deer on our property. We just spent 2 days busting our butts out on our lease with a tractor making food plots a few weeks back and all of our feeders are full.... so..... we all try to draw in deer with these efforts and weather or not you have your stand back up in a corner or not (which I do on one of the 3 pieces of land we lease) it does not change that.

Also, who came up with the 100 yard distance? What makes that okay and not 50 yards? For the record, my feeder is about 70 yards from the fence and since I'm back in the corner looking down over everything my shot would have to be back in to my property.

I guess if my neighbor starts acting like a monkey at the zoo and throws crap all around my blind I will just have to shoot him.

Re: How close is to close? [Re: 7mag] #216901 10/08/07 02:26 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A good ol' @sswhoopin might remedy the problem.

Great advice there Orn

I guess sittin' down and talking is about the same as an arsewhooping in your part of Texas, Roy!?!?!

Re: How close is to close? [Re: Big Orn] #216902 10/08/07 02:28 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
hehehehehehe

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: How close is to close? [Re: 7mag] #216903 10/08/07 02:48 PM
H
Hman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I've read most of this thread and just wanted to submit a post for whatever it is worth.

Regardless of proximity to others, FIRST first objective when placing a feeder and stand should ALWAYS be SAFETY.

I don't think that putting a stand near a neighbor's property is as bad as a putting a feeder there. But, each circumstance is different in their own right.

I have one of my tripod stands backed up into some trees along a property boundary fenceline. I am hunting into my property and plan to be shooting downhill into a SAFE area as opposed to putting the stand in other trees 200 yards from the fenceline and shooting toward my neighbors. To me, that is just common sense. I can only hope that my neighbors are doing the same types of things.

Most of us are hunting free range deer. So, deer may travel several square miles in a day, covering multiple properties. If you've planted a food plot and have sufficient bedding areas on your property, the deer may not travel far. Bottom line is, the deer are free to move about as they wish. They are not "my" deer or "your" deer. Doing your homework and preparation will increase your odds for success.

The problem with others placing feeders near my property is a lack of SAFETY. I think that my preparation will keep most of the deer on my property.

Like I said, each instance is different, so it's hard for any of us here to agree or disagree with the proximity issues without seeing the situation.

Welcome to hunting free range deer in Texas... It's painful sometimes, but better than not hungting at all.

Good luck this season to everyone!!!!

Re: How close is to close? [Re: Hman] #216904 10/08/07 02:52 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Well put Hymen!! I mean Hman

Welcome to the Forum

Re: How close is to close? [Re: Greg] #216905 10/08/07 02:52 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

we all try to draw in deer

There's where the real problem may be. Not all of us are trying to draw in deer. I'm trying to keep those on my place well feed and plentiful. While my neighbor and his 2 sons to the south are trying to kill everyone that cross's the fence. When your talking about at least 15 deer off of 20 acres, not counting what his friends shoot, thats allot. so now i've decided to hi-fence that 1 mile strip. Now who really wins? Had he not got greedy and then made a big show of putting blinds along the fence, he could still take a few deer. Now he's gonna face not having any deer, and he's going to blame me for it.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: How close is to close? [Re: HWY_MAN] #216906 10/08/07 03:03 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You did not put my whole quote on there.... I said....

"we are all trying to draw and or keep the deer on our property"

There is a big "AND OR Keep the deer" in what I said that you did not quote.

You are right that it stinks to have that yahoo over there killing way too many deer and I do feel for you there. Hopefully the fence will help you and I personally don't hold anything against you if you want to put a fence up to stop that behavior.

I also don't think that you are ever gonna pass down other "new" deer that happen to stumble on to your oasis of food plots and bedding areas though. My point is that you don't just spend the time to manage your land ONLY for the deer that are currently on it.... Or at least I'm gonna say I don't.

I do both... I try and keep deer around and also try and attract other new deer to my lease and think MOST people in a low fence lease would be telling a fib if they said other.

Re: How close is to close? [Re: Greg] #216907 10/08/07 03:50 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Using "quick reply" so this is not addressed to anyone in
particular, just more of my rambling.

There are definatetly some (gulp) ethical
or (double gulp) moral aspects to this issue, most
of which can not be resolved without some form
of new legistlation, and I think most would agree
we DO NOT NEED ANYMORE LEGISLATION.

I think the urinal situation as an example
is WAY over simplifying the issue. The option
of using a pisser that is at a more appropriate
distance is pretty obvious. Forming an opinion
or perspective of someone else based on only a
partial view of the situation is far from the same.

Here's a real life situation that some may or may not
feel is along the same lines:
Several places in the public land area I hunt
shares a border (dilapidated fence row) with private
property that is hunted. I've seen in more than one
spot where feeders are setup within 50 yds, probably
less of the line and several food plots that are
maintained coming within a few feet of the line.
Are these landowners (or their clients if leased)
being "unethical"? I use an established trail along
the border line to get back into the woods and veer
off into the creek bottom and have many times HEARD
feeders going off before daylight. This has gone on
for years. Being uneducated and lacking in what others
may feel are inherent notions of protocall, I always
just assumed the private land people could legally bait
as they saw fit, even if they had a comparativley
VERY SMALL amount of land and were drawing deer from
the Federal Wildlife Management Area.
I'm not sure what to think of this situation now.
Land owner rights? Too close for comfort?
Food plot same as feeder?
There's just too many blurry lines to think we can
all like each other. We just have to accept what
we don't have control over and use good judgement
with what we do have control over. Wow, another
over-simplified statement! Sorry.

PK

Re: How close is to close? [Re: Big Orn] #216908 10/08/07 07:51 PM
W
wellingtontx Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
The truth is that I am more concerned for my safety and those that hunt my blind than the bum neighbor who placed a feeder right on the fence row "stealing" or attracting deer off of our lease. Certainly wont allow any of the minors on our place to be in or near my hunting area without orange on. Yes, to anser some of the questions posed, I have a 20 foot tower blind that the bum/neighbor could easily see for miles in my part of the country. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Re: How close is to close? [Re: wellingtontx] #216909 10/08/07 07:56 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

He knew exactly what he was doing.

Then it's Hamma Time!!! Not in the literal sense, but it's time to have a calm, mature talk with your neighbor. Better do it soon, in my opinion.

Re: How close is to close? [Re: PKnTX] #216910 10/09/07 02:52 PM
C
cattle69 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
"I think the urinal situation as an example
is WAY over simplifying the issue. The option
of using a pisser that is at a more appropriate
distance is pretty obvious. Forming an opinion
or perspective of someone else based on only a
partial view of the situation is far from the same."

I personally feel the urinal example is a great example, sometimes simplifing something can make even hard headed people understand.

It is kind of like what Captain McCall from Lonsome Dove stated "It's rude behavior and it will not be tolerated."

[Linked Image]
President and cofounder of magical pellet club.
Re: How close is to close? [Re: cattle69] #216911 10/11/07 09:58 PM
D
dirtynix Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
good to a local farm supply store and ask for a propane bird cannon. hook it up to a propane bottle and set the timer for 10 minutes.. and like clock work it will go off. sound like a shotgun or rifle shot. there wont be a deer for 1/2 mile. but this should be used as a last resort to talking to the SOBs

Re: How close is to close? [Re: dirtynix] #216912 10/12/07 12:17 AM
Rwuensch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Quote:

good to a local farm supply store and ask for a propane bird cannon. hook it up to a propane bottle and set the timer for 10 minutes.. and like clock work it will go off. sound like a shotgun or rifle shot. there wont be a deer for 1/2 mile. but this should be used as a last resort to talking to the SOBs

Now that is a good idea.

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "smart"?
Re: How close is to close? [Re: Rwuensch] #216913 10/12/07 12:24 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That is undoubtedly the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard of!

Do Deer Run At The Sound Of Thunder? HELL NO!!

Deer won't run at the sound of a gun shot unless you throw dirt up on them or hit next to them.

Those things only work for scaring birds.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide