Texas Hunting Forum

How close is to close?

Posted By: cattle69

How close is to close? - 09/30/07 07:51 PM

Went to our family place in Kent. Co. and saw where the neighbors (leasers) setup a deerstand 20 yds from the fenceline. I was kind of ok with that, but when I got closer I noticed down in the creekbed they had a feeder set up not 5 YARDS from the fenceline. I am sure their are some people on this site that do the same thing, and others on here that have the same problem. I talked to the gamewarden and he said he will go by and visit with them opening weekend, and I have been trying to get a hold of the land owner and tell him how shi**y this is. The game warden said all he can do is warn them. I guess if it doesn't get moved I will be hunting for poachers and tresspassers and you can bet they want see much at that feeder. To think to drive 2 hrs and not see anything at their feeder that will suck for them and be great for me. Sorry to vent, but it is killing me that some people can be so inconsiderate.

Posted By: JCB

Re: How close is to close? - 09/30/07 08:11 PM

Quote:

you can bet they want see much at that feeder.

Sounds like you have a plan!

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: How close is to close? - 09/30/07 08:11 PM

It is simply called "Lack Of Respect".

Both the feeder and the blind should be set up farther away from your fence.

Try approaching the land owner about the situation calmly, as he/she may not know anything about what is going on.

Let the GW add his influence to the situation.

If worse comes to worse, set a feeder up directly across the fence from their feeder and a blind 10 yards from the fence watching it.

You won't ever have to hunt it and they won't be able to hunt theirs. In fact, on opening morning, make a big show of someone coming out and getting into the blind about 30 minutes before daylight. One time of doing that will settle the situation. JMO.

Posted By: SplitTimeHunter

Re: How close is to close? - 09/30/07 08:48 PM

I try to keep stands & feeders 100 yards off the fence. IMO if a deer will travel 5 yards to get to the feeder, then they will travel 100 yards just as easily. Some people don't know any better. They see a spot that looks good and set-up.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: How close is to close? - 09/30/07 10:06 PM

Put a blind up on your side right by his and see what happens. Paint it pink or something completly gay looking

Posted By: Bullcreek48

Re: How close is to close? - 09/30/07 10:15 PM

MOTHBALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: AdvTX

Re: How close is to close? - 09/30/07 10:35 PM

I was about to post and ask the same question. We just got back and we found a feeder 5ft. from our fence with a blind at a angle about 100 yards up the fence but the box blind is only about 25 yards from the fence they even put up a game camera right on their feeder!

I thought there was a 100 yard law or something?

Very disrespectful!

Re: How close is to close? - 09/30/07 11:10 PM

I know it will be a hard law to enforce, but I think they passed a recent law that says you commit a crime if your bullet passes over a property line. If any of these set ups have the feeder at the fence and the stand facing the fence/feeder then there is a very high chance that the person shooting from the stand will commit a crime when they pull the trigger.

Yall might try mentioning that to them.....or try the moth ball idea.

Posted By: atascosa_red

Re: How close is to close? - 09/30/07 11:13 PM

There are no laws governing blind placment or feeder placement. Not saying yhat I agree with where they put them but, they may not know better or have the time or resources to cut shooting lanes or openin gs for them. Is disrespectful, but if they don't hear from the neighbors or land owner they still won't know any better. Be nice about it so that a fued does not break out!

Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: How close is to close? - 09/30/07 11:34 PM

Human hair from your local barber works fairly well and so does human urine! Simply keep a 3 liter empty coke bottle and use it instead of your toilet during the week when your at home. Dump it on your side of the fenceline about 10:00 Friday evening before opening day and repeat as necessary!

CHC said in his post it's a lack of respect. I totally agree but will tell you that some of the morons out there simply don't know any better!

We have one stand that is about 10 yards from a corner of our fence. We usually keep our corner stocked with fresh urine, dead hogs, & other varmints. Of course we put the dead animals in the brush where they can't be seen from their stand of their side of the fence. Sometimes the best way to deal with an idiot or idiots is to be an idiot yourself!

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 12:27 AM

Wait and see what happens after the game warden talks to them. It would be quite a bit of work to set up a blind, and that would be wasted labor if they take the game wardens suggestion. If they don't move go to Wally world and buy a slingshot and some mothballs. If you are not hunting that area, I would use moth crystals, lot harder for them to detect.

Human urine will not really cause the deer to spook, especially in areas where they are used to it. The human scent dissipates pretty fast. Smells and sounds that the deer are subjected to pretty often soon become so common that it doesn't even alarm them.

Posted By: Cool_Hand

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:14 AM

We had the same thing happen to us on a lease I used to be on. We hung all of our turkey guts and deer guts and sometime we hung "leaking" bags of human excretement on the fence. They got the message super fast!!

Posted By: txhntr

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:36 AM

so there is no law about shooting into someones property.Because I have the same problem.The naighbor has a feeder 5 to 10 yards from the fence line, and his stand is facing the fence.I just set up my blind down the fence line and I am going to take advantage of his feeder. if I see anything going to his feeder doe buck, or hog I am going to shoot. The way I see it one less feeder to set up and no corn to buy.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:39 AM

You shoot across a property line and you are breaking the law. But there is no law on how close you can put a feeder or blind to a property line.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:43 AM

Now, in your case, you should contact the game warden. Any shot at a game animal would either go thru onto your place or a miss would also. That could be a dangerous situation.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 02:09 AM

(Dog cather)I would only be shooting any game coming from my property going to his feeder along the fence line.(red) I know your right I need to find out the game wardens name and number in my area.

Posted By: SpringCreek

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 03:29 AM

Wasnt there talk of making a boundry rule for how close you can set a feeder/blind within a neighboring fence of two properties.. I have the same problem and its never ending.. Gramps rides the fencline every morning just to piss them off but hey what can ya do when ya put your blinds that close to our fence.. It wouldnt be so bad but last year we found a mineral lick on our side.. All I can tell ya is watch them and make sure ya dont catch them on your property..
Brandon

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 10:13 AM

Quote:

so there is no law about shooting into someones property.

I tried finding the law but cant find it at this time, but I know it says that if your bullet crosses a property line then you are breaking the law. That includes shooting a animal on your side of the fence, and if the bullet passes through the animal and across the fence then you broke the law.

The law was passed in the last few years and there has been very little talk about it, but I do beleive it passed.

Like I said.....It would be very hard to enforce!

Posted By: waderaider1

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 12:03 PM

Just remember. The laws state that if you shoot a deer and it crosses a property line you must have permission from the landowner to access such property to recover the animal.
If you cross without permission you are tresspassing.

Waderaider

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:09 PM

Here is what you were looking for:

It is unlawful for any person, while hunting or engaging in recreational shooting, to knowingly discharge a firearm in such a fashion as to cause a projectile to cross a property line, unless the person owns the property on both sides of the property line or has obtained written permission from the owner of any land crossed by the projectile.

That is from the TP&W website.

ILBB brought out a point, and that is the possibility that the folks across the fence may just not know any better.

I think a lot of us on here, and hunters in general, think that EVERYONE hunting or trying to hunt deer is running on the same intelligence plane. That ain't exactly so

The "neighbors" may actually have No real concept of hunting and some of the unwritten rules regarding such things as the placement of feeders and blinds in relation to fences. JMO.

Posted By: Greg

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:23 PM

Maybe I am just don't get it.... but can someone explain to me why this is such a big issue? I have heard more people get upset about someone's feeder or stand being too close to the fence several times on here. I have also heard all the bad or vendictive things they plan to do to those "bad" people on the other side for doing this and it's pretty sad to read.

I guess I just don't get it... as long as bullets don't cross on to your property, then why should they not be able to hunt all of their property? They own or lease all of it... why can't they hunt it?

Reminds me of some post I heard on here last year where some guy was upset b/c his neighbor was shooting "HIS" deer. His deer? You gotta be kidding me right? Hopefully that is not why people get upset over this issue.

I'm not trying to be an Arse... just would like to know.

Posted By: netman

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:29 PM

Hang some old cd's on your side of the fence with fishing line in trees, if they are removed you know he is tresspassing.If not it will drive him crazy and keep deer from that area.

Posted By: SpringCreek

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:31 PM

The way I look at it is most people I see on our neighboring fences put up stands and then end up cutting brush/trees on there property to see over on mine.. So when I see that I get a notion in my head that they would possibly shoot a big bug or anything for that matter on my fence drag it over and go about there buisness. Thats why it bugs me. But there is nothing I nor anyone can do so I just try and take it as it comes. Like I said though first time I find foot prints or an arrow or some sort of evidence its bad news

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:33 PM

Safety is the #1 reason.Knowing what is behind your target.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:36 PM

I have the same problem, as some from the forum who've hunted my place can verify. What i found out was there is absolutely nothing legally you can do to make them back off. With that said there is 1 method of persuasion i've found to be effective, and thats talking to them. You have to be careful about any other methods, such as mothballs, disposing of carcass's, human urine or feces. Those methods fall under hunter harassment laws and you yourself could get in trouble. If conversation fails, then you still have 1 option. Since hunting out of a vehicle is perfectly legal as long as your on private property, you can make a point out of driving by during optimum shooting hours. Just be careful and inspect the roads ahead of you, some have been known to throw roofing nails and other debris over into your roads. But by doing that, they themselves are guilty of hunter harassment.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:45 PM

Well I completly agree with you IF someone is shooting across your fence killing deer on your side and I would have a HUGE issue with that as well. If you see that happen that's when you get GW involved... that's what they are for.

The reason I ask is b/c I have a stand pretty close to the corner of the property shooting back in and a feeder that you could see from the other side of the fence. The feeder is about 70 yards from the fence, but you can see it. My stand is real close to the corner though... almost on the fence line.

I would hate to think that the people that hunt the other side would be putting their crap in bags and and hanging it, along with turkey gutts or CD's in trees over there to ruin my hunt. That's just plain crazy and someone should have raised them better than that!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:52 PM

Quote:

people that hunt the other side would be putting their crap in bags and and hanging it, along with turkey gutts or CD's in trees over there to ruin my hunt.

It's also a violation of hunter harassment laws.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 01:56 PM

Quote:

You shoot across a property line and you are breaking the law. But there is no law on how close you can put a feeder or blind to a property line.

If the feeder throws feed onto the other property then the Game Warden or Sheriff can cite them!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 04:55 PM

Quote:

Human hair from your local barber works fairly well and so does human urine!
We have one stand that is about 10 yards from a corner of our fence. We usually keep our corner stocked with fresh urine, dead hogs, & other varmints. Of course we put the dead animals in the brush where they can't be seen from their stand of their side of the fence. Sometimes the best way to deal with an idiot or idiots is to be an idiot yourself!

First off... it's not just YOUR fence... you both share it.
Second... how can them putting a stand in the corner where they are shooting back into their lease be disrespectful to you???? If you have seen them shooting deer on your side, then you have a point, but you said nothing about that in your post.

Due to your comments above, I have lost much respect for you and think that your actions hurt hunting in general.

If you put half the effort into making your lease better as you do to ruin the surrounding leases you would probably see more deer.

That's really sad dude.

Posted By: klepdo

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 05:12 PM

I am with you Greg. Who cares if there is a stand and a feeder next to or on the fence line. cattle69 if you don't like it put up a high fence along that side. I have put up and hunted a few stands along fence lines before, I never shoot a deer that was on the other side of the fence, but when it crossed the fence I shot it. Crap I need to turn my self in to the king for poaching the kings deer. What a joke. All people do is piss and moan. I say put up high fence and don't let YOUR deer on his property. If I was your neighbor I wouldn't give 10 craps about stand placement.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 05:29 PM

Quote:

It is simply called "Lack Of Respect".

Both the feeder and the blind should be set up farther away from your fence.

Try approaching the land owner about the situation calmly, as he/she may not know anything about what is going on.

Let the GW add his influence to the situation.

Great advice

but the problem lies with the law. I do not believe its against the law to set up a feeder along a fenceline, but is if you shoot across said fenceline.

either way, it ain't right. Just be careful about disturbing their hunt, it carries a stiff fine.

We had an incident about 15 years ago where some fellows started messing with feeders and blinds. They would park on their side of the fence and "work" on clearing or whatever. They were video taped and cited by the GW.

Maybe Kyotee1 will jump in here and advise..
Still blows, but good luck

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 05:36 PM

The rules of the ranch I hunt on stats:no feeders or blinds with in 50 yards of fences. Try contacting the lease manager, I bet these issues can be resolved by a phone call.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 05:50 PM

Nobody is answering my question.

How am I showing a lack of respect to have a blind up in a corner by a fence?

I don't want to do anything disrespectful, but that is part of the land that I pay $$ to hunt and don't see how it matters. Are people afraid that I might shoot a deer that crossed a fence and is now on my side??? Surely not... they all cross fences every day.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 05:56 PM

Greg,
You won't get many answer to your question because you are correct. You pay to lease fence line to fence line. Unless the landowner has something in the lease contract you can put your stands and blinds any where you want.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 05:58 PM

Klepdo, I am glad you are not my neighbor. I have been involved in a similar instance on a place in Buffalo Gap where I caught the neighbors shooting deer on My side of the fence. The first time was a freeby the second instance cost him 3000.00, rifel, and 5 yrs with out a license. Sometimes temptation is to great no matter what the instance, you might not shoot over the fence, but your buddies might. Why put ones self in the temptation. I will try to settle easily, our may decide to build a road to go down the creek with the bull dozer on Nov. 3. I have thought about the high fence and that is definitely an option on the table.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 06:00 PM

Why would you put your blind /feeder that close to your neighbors fence?

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 06:19 PM

By placing a blind in a corner you would be narrowing your shooting area.You would also not be giving much room for error as to a deer running onto the next land that has been wounded.To me it comes down to ethics not the law.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 06:19 PM

Quote:

Here is what you were looking for:

It is unlawful for any person, while hunting or engaging in recreational shooting, to knowingly discharge a firearm in such a fashion as to cause a projectile to cross a property line, unless the person owns the property on both sides of the property line or has obtained written permission from the owner of any land crossed by the projectile.

That is from the TP&W website.

Yep, thats the law I was looking for!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 06:21 PM

Cattle69,
There are stupid people that never learn. I know everyone on my lease for the last 12 years. We all have good hunting values and follow the law. I can't stand people that poach and would not stand for it with any of the people on our lease. When was the last time the person that put his stand on YOUR fence line shoot a deer on your land. Have you ever thought there might be a reason why the stand is there. The hunter might have a child he hunts with, he might be disable or he could be old and has to have easy access to a stand. Who cares no laws have been broken. You are so worried about someone breaking the law and shooting on to your property you are willing to break the law yourself. What a hypocrite. I am glad your not my neighbor.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 06:24 PM

Cattle69... you would love to have me hunt next to you b/c I don't break the law and poach. I also don't get to go out too often so you would probably never see me.

HWY_MAN... I lease 3 seperate pieces of property and all are about 200 acres and within about 4 or 5 miles of each other. This one paticular place has open fields for about 110 acres and 90 that are real good hunting. The corner of the lease sits way up on a hill and overlooks a large part of the 90 acres to hunt there. It overlooks a nice pond and plenty of deer tracks around it. I did not have time, nor did I want to take the time to cut shooting lanes at another place in the lease.

I hope that answers your question, now.... someone try and answer mine... how is having a blind close to a fence disrespectful? If I'm not breaking the law or standing out there banging pots and pans, then what difference does it make where I put my blind?

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 06:33 PM

Quote:

By placing a blind in a corner you would be narrowing your shooting area.You would also not be giving much room for error as to a deer running onto the next land that has been wounded.To me it comes down to ethics not the law.

Not true netman... I can see for miles up there in my corner and can also see the fence lines.

I shoot a 300 ultra mag, so 9 times out of 10 the deer falls right where I hit it, but lets say it doesn't and it takes off and runs on your property. Would you treat me any different b/c my blind is not exactally 100 yards off the fence line?

If I happen to shoot a deer and it crosses lines, then it's time to go let the landowner of the other property, let him know and go find the deer... it happens all the time. If they want to be rude about it, then I would call GW and let him go get my deer. I would not just come over and start looking without letting someone know.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 06:34 PM

Quote:

This one particular place has open fields for about 110 acres and 90 that are real good hunting. The corner of the lease sits way up on a hill and overlooks a large part of the 90 acres to hunt there. It overlooks a nice pond and plenty of deer tracks around it.

That's the point I'm kinda hinting at. It's seems to be the best place, due to terrain and view, and makes sense. But i must say thats not always the case. I've got a mile of fence on the south side of my nth west pasture. Along that fence line theres 3 landowners that have less than 25 acres apiece. Each one has a blind, if not several blinds withing 1 ft to 20 yards off the fence line.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 06:41 PM

I would let you retrieve your deer.But that tree right next to your blind on my side would need trimmed every morning with my chain saw.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 06:44 PM

High fence them out. It happened to a friend of my dads in Menard. He has 4200 acres and the 6000 acre ranch behind him sold and they broke it up into 100 acre ranches. He put up a high fence. I am surprised you have any deer in that area. If that is a 1 buck and 2 doe county they could kill 3 bucks and 6 does. 9 deer to be killed off of 75 acres I would high fence the out.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 06:44 PM

Quote:

[ Along that fence line theres 3 landowners that have less than 25 acres apiece. Each one has a blind, if not several blinds withing 1 ft to 20 yards off the fence line.

With your law background I'm sure you will bust their butts if you catch them shooting on your side... And you should if it ever happens! But even though they only own 25 acres they have every right to hunt it so long as they don't break any laws and if it was your 25 acres... and it was all you had... you would probably hunt it as well.

I guess I will step down now.... nobody's gonna answer my question anyway.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 06:50 PM

Quote:

I would let you retrieve your deer.But that tree right next to your blind on my side would need trimmed every morning with my chain saw.

Why? How is me hunting there making you that mad? Or mad in general?

Drink a cold beer and relax.... oh yea... tell me why it makes you mad?

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 07:02 PM

2 things

I am not now, nor have i ever been a peace officer. I chose that name because 1 of my business is in highway construction.

Quote:

nobody's gonna answer my question anyway.

Actually i've seen several that answered your question, maybe not to your satisfaction, but they were answers none the less.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 07:04 PM

Greg, I am also not trying to be an arse, but I think the reasons given above answer your question.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 07:06 PM

Oh by the way, I wouldn't let them retrieve a deer that was shot on that place, should'nt put the feeder 5 yds from the fence line.
What can people expect 50/50 chance of the deer going left or right one of which is over my fence.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 07:26 PM

I've got no beef with you HWY_MAN... just trying to understand is all.

Actually i've seen several that answered your question, maybe not to your satisfaction, but they were answers none the less.

You are right ... there were somd answeres....someone said b/c it would create too much of an urge for me to break the law and shoot a deer on his side. I also heard it's illegal to shoot across lines which I already knew and don't do.

Neither of those answers tell me why it hacks certian people off so much that they would break the law and try and ruin their neighbors hunt.

Funny thing about that white speck on the top of chicken sh#t... it's still chicken sh#t. Well... so were those answers.

You guys have a good day.... I'm tired of talking about it.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 07:39 PM

Sorry I am so chicken sh*t.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 08:02 PM

I guess the answers fell into to the, not to his satisfaction category.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 09:01 PM

Quote:

Oh by the way, I wouldn't let them retrieve a deer that was shot on that place, should'nt put the feeder 5 yds from the fence line.
What can people expect 50/50 chance of the deer going left or right one of which is over my fence.

You might want to re-think that statement.

If a person shot a deer on their side of the fence, and it crossed over on to your property and they called the GW, and he came to retrieve it, I think you would be chirping a different song. JMO.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 09:20 PM

I would like to find out the right and legal answer to your question crazyhorse! I think that is a good point.

Posted By: JJH

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 10:06 PM

Greg: it's about perception and respect. I would never put a blind on a boundry fence, because I don't want my neighbor to think that I might do the wrong thing. And conversely, when I see a blind, or several blinds right on the fence line it makes me wonder...if they will do that, do they have the proper ethics to be good neighbors?

And IME, if they are inconsiderate enough to put their blind right on the boundry fence, they don'g givbe a hoot what the neighbors think!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 10:13 PM

Just so you know cattle69... I was not calling you chicken sh#t... I was refering to the answers I was getting from everybody.

I don't think anyone wants to give the real answer b/c they know how stupid they will look and how quick they will get bashed.

My theory.... glad you asked ... I think people on both sides of the fence spend a lot of time and energy putting in feeders and food plots and then get some great pictures of big deer and think that they own those deer.

"I'll be danged if someone on the other side of the fence is gonna shoot MY deer... and how dare them put a feeder on their property to try and lure or entice him away from my property"

Everyone does these things in hopes that when they are in the stand that cold morning that Mr. Big will be on their property and they can get a shot at him. Getting mad at others for doing the same thing is crazy.

What I'm gathering from the answers I got is that it is okay if you just can't see the feeder from your side? Kind of an out of "sight out of mind" thing.

Anyway... just wanted to point out that there is always 2 sides to anything and that nobody owns the deer. Hope I did not pi$$ too many of you off.... and if I did... too damn bad

To answer your question though... before crossing the fence in looking for a wounded deer you need to contact the land owner and get their permission... if you can't, then you need to call the GW... that is one of the things you pay them for... NEVER go on across the fence and cary your gun.. it changes the whole game if you get caught with a firearm on someone's property.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 10:36 PM

From my knowledge of the situation, if the GW does get involved, they are going to go thru the following steps.

1. They will come out and make contact with the person that shot the deer and walk thru the schene to see what happened.

The tricky part here for the shooter, is they had better hope that there is evidence on THEIR side of the fence, blood, I don't think a few stray hairs will get it.

That blood probably needs to be in some form of a trail, not just a big splash on the shooters side just inside the fence and the next blood just on the other side where the deer landed after the initial hit.

2. If the evidence on the shooters side of the fence looks legitimate, then the GW will go and contact the owner of the adjoining property, advise them of the situation, and go in and recover the deer.

The shooter will not be allowed to go with the GW during the recovery process.

If the GW feels that a violation or a questionable act was committed by the shooter, the GW will still go thru the above steps, and if it is a situation of possible/probable illegal activities, the GW is going to recover the deer.

Instead of hauling it back to the shooter and turning it over to him/her, as they will if everything is legal, and having a discussion with them about their choice of where they set up, the GW is going to confiscate the deer and either start writing tickets or the shooter will get a free ride to the county jail and a visit with the JP.

I don't think, that even though the situation resulted from a lack of good judgement about such things or pure ignorance on the part of the shooter, that another person, except a GW can legally recover or lay claim to that deer.

Greg, you are right in your concept that a lot of the fuss is because people think they own the deer that cross their fence. They have been feeding them and passing up shots for a few seasons in hopes of bagging that "Big Boy".

If White Tail Deer did not grow such pretty antlers, and the all looked like does, nobody would be saying a damn word and you could still find leases for $1.00 an acre. JMO.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 10:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Human hair from your local barber works fairly well and so does human urine!

First off... it's not just YOUR fence... you both share it.
Second... how can them putting a stand in the corner where they are shooting back into their lease be disrespectful to you???? If you have seen them shooting deer on your side, then you have a point, but you said nothing about that in your post.

Due to your comments above, I have lost much respect for you and think that your actions hurt hunting in general.

If you put half the effort into making your lease better as you do to ruin the surrounding leases you would probably see more deer.

That's really sad dude.

I said nothing in my post about the direction this blind faces. In fact, if you really want to know, it has 4 windows and they have a really great view about 800 yards down the fence line each way (on our side only) and about 450 yards directly into one of our 80' wide senderos. The view on their side is about 80 yards long, 20' wide and ends at a feeder directly by the fence!

We have no proof that they have ever shot across the fence but there always seem to be more 'hog holes' under the ranch's perimeter fence within 1/4 mile of this blind then the rest of the 12 miles of fence.

If you are putting stands or feeders within 100 yards of any border fence, then you are the one who is a sad excuse for a hunter!!! I don't give a rat's fat [censored] what you think, it's flat out wrong to hunt a property line and absolute Horse s--t to put a feeder on a border fence. Either you need to get a larger piece of property to hunt or manage your's better so that your not trying to draw your neighbors deer across to kill!

PEOPLE WHO DO CRAP LIKE THIS ARE THE REASON FOR ALL OF THE HIGH FENCING GOING UP ALL OVER THIS STATE.

Guy, I really don't care if you have a lick of respect for me or not. It's how I see it and what I believe is right, and I believe an overwhelming majority of hunters will agree with me.

By the way, I do not lease, I work and hunt on a very, very well managed ranch and I probably see more big deer in a week then most people get to see in a lifetime. If this comes across as bragging I didn't mean it in that manner. The reason we have lots of big deer is because we bust our [censored] managing this ranch!

Have a really nice day.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 11:12 PM

Quote:

Either you need to get a larger piece of property to hunt or manage your's better so that your not trying to draw your neighbors deer across to kill!

ding ding ding.... iluvbigbucks gets the prize!!!

The only one to come out and say what I though might be the case. "You're neighbors deer" you are too funny man! Unless you high fence them in where they can't leave and breed your own deer, then you don't own them...

It's sad we have hunters like you around here.

Here's a thought... maybe you should manage your property a little better and then "your deer" would never leave your perfect little place. You really crack me up. I'm done, so go ahead and have the last word.

You have a great night as well.

Posted By: dusten01

Re: How close is to close? - 10/01/07 11:53 PM

hey here is a thought for all you cry babies about the fence line sh!t. why dont you just come to an agreement with your neighbor first and make some kinda arrangement I mean if that spot is so great back there why dont you just put a blind up back there with a feeder and rotate weekends hunting in it? I personally dont give a rats a$$ about a blind or feeder on a borderline as long as there is no one in the direction you are shooting and your not shooting deer that arent on your property. we personally dont do it but a guy hunts or borderline and thats fine cause deer go back and forth constantly, how many times have you expected a deer to be at a feeder and they never showed? happens to me alot. You guys whinnning about this are a bunch of cry babies. how close is to close? when your over the fence line and your trespassing, theres your answer greg. guarantee you if it was pipe feeder and a hang on or climber back there you wouldnt be all bent out of shape. typical a$$ hole landowners in texas. thanks for giving us a great name guys!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Either you need to get a larger piece of property to hunt or manage your's better so that your not trying to draw your neighbors deer across to kill!

ding ding ding.... iluvbigbucks gets the prize!!!

The only one to come out and say what I though might be the case. "You're neighbors deer" you are too funny man! Unless you high fence them in where they can't leave and breed your own deer, then you don't own them...

It's sad we have hunters like you around here.

Here's a thought... maybe you should manage your property a little better and then "your deer" would never leave your perfect little place. You really crack me up. I'm done, so go ahead and have the last word.

You have a great night as well.

If you think I don't know that legally all deer that are not confined within a game fence are propery of the State of Texas, well your wrong. You want to take my words completely literally and you know damn well that's not what my statement meant! What I mean is if you are one of 4 guys hunting a 125 acre place and believes he has the God given, legal right to shoot all the deer he has tags for every year because they are hunting a fenceline of a 1,000 acre ranch next door, then you are without a doubt, 100% killing deer that you've no right to kill ETHICALLY!!!!!

Just because you are within your legal rights to kill three, four, even five deer each year doesn't mean ethically you are right to do so! Once again if you are one of the four hunters above, then you are the direct reason for all of the 8' wire being put up.

Finally, here's a question for you property line hunters out there. Why would you place a blind or a feeder immediately adjacent a property line instead of moving back off of it 50 or 100 yards so you're not watching the 'other side of the fence'? Is it because you know that your neighbors place is better managed and has better or more deer then the property you own or pay to hunt? Or maybe it's because you are the type of person that knows they are legally 'right' and do it just to piss others off anytime you can? Maybe your place is just as good as your neighbors but your just two damn lazy to clear cut a few openings to put your stand and feeder(s) up in?

Bottom line is it is not the ethically, neighborly, sportsmens like thing to do.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:33 AM

or maybe your trying to spread out the few blinds you have so everyone can hunt more safely instead of having bullets wiz by their heads. I thought the 8' fences were put up because people were purchasing animals (which makes them livestock) and did not want them roaming off the property.

Posted By: PKnTX

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:37 AM

Just so it's clear:

A landowner has the "right" to put up a game fence
and impede the natural movement/flight of animals
BUT it is unethical to put up a feeder "close" to
a boundry(?)

AND

It is a function of how many acres/sections you own
or hunt as to whether you can ETHICALLY take the legal
number of animals you have tags for(?)

Dern, there's just so much to learn on this forum,
there's no end tos hit.

PK

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:41 AM

Quote:

so everyone can hunt more safely instead of having bullets wiz by their heads.

So Dusten it is better to have your bullets whizing by on your neighbors place?

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:48 AM

Quote:

or maybe your trying to spread out the few blinds you have so everyone can hunt more safely instead of having bullets wiz by their heads. I thought the 8' fences were put up because people were purchasing animals (which makes them livestock) and did not want them roaming off the property.

Like I said, if you've got your blinds that close together that bullets are whizzing by your heads, then you don't have enough property!!!!!!!!!

Here's a bit of news for you on livestock and buying animals. The overwhelming majority of high fenced rances DO NOT have deer brought in!!! Yes you are correct they have high fenced their ranch so the ranchettes next to them do not kill every beautiful 3 year old 10 point that crosses the fence. They fence becasue they want the deer to reach it's full potential before it is killed!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:49 AM

You are right dusten01...

High fences are put up by people who think they own the deer that occasionally cross their fenceline and come onto their property.... either that or they have tons of $$ and want to protect their investments when they purchase record class deer that they grow and breed. (I totally understand that reason by the way.)

Damn... I said I was through with this post....

Guess I got a little worked up b/c I'm not a poacher and I don't like being told I am in the wrong for hunting the land I lease. What difference does 50 or 100 yards make anyway?

I guess we will all just have to agree to disagree. All this arguing has made me thirsty... time for a beer.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:53 AM

Just a couple of thoughts in here about some of your statements.

Quote:

Finally, here's a question for you property line hunters out there. Why would you place a blind or a feeder immediately adjacent a property line instead of moving back off of it 50 or 100 yards so you're not watching the 'other side of the fence'?

Could it possibly be because of the amount of acreage involved and the way it is laid out.

As for your statement,

Quote:

What I mean is if you are one of 4 guys hunting a 125 acre place and believes he has the God given, legal right to shoot all the deer he has tags for every year because they are hunting a fenceline of a 1,000 acre ranch next door, then you are without a doubt, 100% killing deer that you've no right to kill ETHICALLY!!!!!

Would you feel that same way, if due to terrain and brush cover, the stand and feeder were placed 50 yards from the fence, but placed in such a manner that they could not be seen from the fence????

What about 100 yards????

Unless you are doing something to physically keep those deer from jumping that fence and going where they please, what difference does it make?

The outcome will be the same, deer that you have come to view as yours, are going to be just as dead, whether it is one or five.

I think from your posts, you would be just as upset if there were only two people hunting that adjoining place and only took a couple of deer each and their stands and feeders were as far away from the fence as they could be placed.

People hunting the larger properties and working at managing them do not like it that any deer they have put an investment into, from feed to not shooting it for a couple of seasons to let it get bigger, to you name it, have a problem in finding out that or those deer were killed by someone on a piddly little old 100 to 200 acre place, and all they had done was put up a couple of blinds and a feeder or two.

The only way to prevent that, is to make it illegal for people to lease out less than a certain sized piece of land for hunting.

How many folks think that one is going to fly????

Posted By: cajundave

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:57 AM

You could have a morning picnic next to the fence. Set up a barbque pit, umbrella, lawnchairs, and a picnic table. November mornings are a great time of year for breakfast picnics. I wonder if deer like bacon, eggs, and pancakes. Play frisbee with the dog and have a screaming kid or.......20.

Better yet, have the whole family there for Thanksgiving. Heck, celebrate it all week out there. Bring a generator, TV, and Antenna and watch the Cowboys after a big steamming smelly meal.

Don't forget to invite us.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:57 AM

Crazyhorse,
I would be fine w/ 100yds, but come on less than 5 yds and running the risk of the deer jumping the fence, bullet tresspassing, or worse shooting across the fence. This is bad judgement on their part.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:00 AM

not everyone can afford to lease/purchase more land. I think you should discuss these topics with your neighbor and talk about managing and work together on this not put a bag of [censored] next to his feeder or blind cause its on his side of the fence. Iluvbigbucks here is newsflash for you, not everyone is a poacher/trespasser/you fill in this blank, there is alot of things that can go both ways, simple communication and helping eachother can go a long way. you should try it instead of jumping to conclusions.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:03 AM

I plan on talking to the land owner, but have not been able to reach them yet. I am sure he will have them move the feeder, it only makes sense. I was just hoping to educate more people on this issue and I think it is working or it atleast is creating a hell of a lot of traffic for the website.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:05 AM

s
Quote:

Just so it's clear:

A landowner has the "right" to put up a game fence
and impede the natural movement/flight of animals
BUT it is unethical to put up a feeder "close" to
a boundry(?)

AND

It is a function of how many acres/sections you own
or hunt as to whether you can ETHICALLY take the legal
number of animals you have tags for(?)

Dern, there's just so much to learn on this forum,
there's no end tos hit.

PK

The landowner puts up the fence so he can keep people who like to hunt directly on the property line from killing deer that whould not be killed on his side of the fence for another couple of years or more!

Tell me this, how is it right in any way for a 1,000 acre ranch to have a very expensive management program (both in money and in time invested) only to have deer they are feeding and letting live jump a fence and catch a slug at an early age?

And yes, I do as well as most other ethically minded hunters believe that you should only kill the number of deer your land truly supports. If you believe because you spend $500 or even $2,500 to lease 50 acres tucked in the middle of two large ranches you have the right to kill all the deer your tags will allow, then yes, I'm calling you out and saying you are far from an eithical sportsmen!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:14 AM

You'll notice, I am not argueing that point. It is too close to the fence if a deer can jump that fence at the hit and be on the other side when it dies.

Would you feel any better about the situation if the stand and feeder were 50 yards away from the fence but still visible?

You stated a 100 yards would be okay, how would you feel about it if you watched a future wall hanger jump the fence and walk out that 100 yards to the neighbors feeder and watch it get plugged. Would that 100 yard buffer zone still be okay?

Where is the dividing line???

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:15 AM

You can call out anyone you want.
Fact is, I don't lease land anywhere
and this is one of the reasons why.
There's just too much BS that goes
along with it.
The whole trophy/antler management scheme
is a crock of ego driven crap. If it's so
important to hang a dead animal on your wall
that you'd get mad at someone else for legally
shooting a legal game animal on their property
or property they lease then I'm calling you out
as a selfish "sportsman".
How do you like them apples

PK

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:22 AM

OHHH MMMAAANNNNNN!!!

Can't You Just Feel The Love???????

And hunters say they support each other??

If you don't believe the way I do and hunt the way I do and want to kill the something I want too, THEN YOUR UNETHICAL!!!

The fact that what you are doing is perfectly legal and have no problem with doing it is immaterial.

Yes Sir, this place is just dripping with it, that is.

Let's see how long this one stays afloat considering the direction it is headed.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:27 AM

If they are not shooting across the fence, they are not breaking any laws. If they shoot an animal and it jumps the fence, and they get land owners permission or get the game warden to retrieve it, they are not breaking any laws. They are not your deer. They belong to the State of Texas. Until they break a law and the wrath of the GW comes down on them, there is little you can do except hope that they are open to compromise if you get to talk to them or the land owner. Nothing anyone can do if a big buck you have been layin for jumps the fence and gets shot by your neighbor. That is huntin. There are good breaks and there are bad breaks, there is good luck and bad luck. There are good and bad circumstances. Some we can control and some we can not!! Get over it and just HUNT!!

Posted By: 7mag

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:27 AM

Quote:

along with it.

PK

PK, take a deep breath and get the blurred vision out buddy This topic has been on every year for as long as I have been on. Still to hot a topic to debate, cuss and discuss. Just a matter of time before the yellow lock hits it.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:29 AM

Quote:

not everyone can afford to lease/purchase more land. I think you should discuss these topics with your neighbor and talk about managing and work together on this not put a bag of [censored] next to his feeder or blind cause its on his side of the fence. Iluvbigbucks here is newsflash for you, not everyone is a poacher/trespasser/you fill in this blank, there is alot of things that can go both ways, simple communication and helping eachother can go a long way. you should try it instead of jumping to conclusions.

I completely understand that not all people have thousands of dollars to plop down on a lease. Why do you think I work my [censored] off every weekend I can throughout the Spring, Summer, and Fall, and every weekend for about 4 1/2 months during our season.

But, I also leased country for well over 20 years to hunt on. Anywhere from 150 acres to 5,000 acres and I didn't hunt property lines.

This particular neighbor has approximately 1,500 acres of prime S Tex brush, so why in the hell would they set a stand up on an 8' fence when they can see only a very small area on their side and a very large area on our side? That alone makes us wonder why set a stand here. Wouldn't that be pretty tempting to see a 200" deer on our side and know that we do not have a stand within 600 to 700 yards of this area and that this is the farthest point from our headquarters.

Good people of this forum, I've found that in the last 30+ years of deer hunting that this great sport we love brings out both the best in individuals and the very worst. I've known people who have been arrested for poaching who I'd never, ever, in a million years think were capable of it.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:30 AM

[quote
PK, take a deep breath and get the blurred vision out buddy This topic has been on every year for as long as I have been on. Still to hot a topic to debate, cuss and discuss. Just a matter of time before the yellow lock hits it.

PK

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:33 AM

I just got through talking to land owner and he had no idea the feeder was there. In his words he said that is bullsh*t and the the feeder and probablly even the stand would be removed.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:35 AM

That is good!! Better than a bag of human excrement!!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:40 AM

Quote:

along with it.

PK

There are way too many egotistical idiots in every sport, past time, politics, entertainment, even religion IMO. This I do agree with you on.

It's funny though that I still don't have a good answer to my questions yet on why right next to the property line! Please, someone tell why not a good answer.

CHC, you have a good question. How far is far enough. Funny but that is what the thread is all about, isn't it. Is it 50, 100, or more. I cannot answer that and neither can you but what I can say is 5 or 10 yards sure isn't far enough and you damn well know it.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 01:41 AM

sounds like you need to do what I said and COMMUNICATE with your neighbors if it bothers you, I mean tell me Im wrong? but it could also be he has a stand there cause no one is hunting back that way, how do you know what he can see? he could be hunting one particular trail people do that, well I do atleast..I guess you just think about all the negative stuff hunters do, past experience, guilty of it yourself I dunno?? which I understand you always assume the worse your never disappointed and I understand that if you try and prevent temptation and problems by not hunting fence lines its easier to deal with then problems arrising but honestly your not preventing anything. You would be amazed at what could be accomplished if you just talked with your neighbor and worked on managing deer together..but no everyone is stuck in their own ideology, this is why the world spins the way it does these days.

Posted By: Earl

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 02:05 AM

Oh my...alot of heated reading here.

Throw me into the crowd that says your lease is your lease - and unless you have a high fence, them deer aren't soley "yours". Sure their development occurs under your management programs, but if you don't have a high fence that dear ceases to be "yours" when it crosses over. Same works in reverse when one comes onto your property.

Even the big ranches benefit from deer that move in between heards - you think they would say, oh pardon me that 170 BC jumped the fence, you can't shoot him? Hell no.

Us small leasers have no option other than to bring deer in. There is nothing wrong with putting up feeders, planting food plots, deer licks, protien, anything and everything to get deer moving ONTO your land.

Should a 50 or 100 acre place have 10 hunters all wishing to fill all their tags? No, of course not.

But most small acre leases these days are like mine - myself and 2 boys (only one is hunting age right now). If I choose to fill our tags, it's my choice and totally legal.

I draw the deer in, I paid my license and lease fees, I paid for the cameras, food, blinds, feeders, etc...I have as much right to what is on my land as anyone does with the deer on their land - even if that deer has only been on my lease a few minutes.

If anyone is anal enough to believe that the deer on their place belong to them and only them - then as others have said they should high fence it. That will certainly paint a pretty picture for our state, no more small leases for the family man. I can hardly wait.

And for the record, my blinds are in the middle of my 100 acres well away from any fence lines.

Earl

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 02:29 AM

Quote:

Oh my...alot of heated reading here.

Throw me into the crowd that says your lease is your lease - and unless you have a high fence, them deer aren't soley "yours". Sure their development occurs under your management programs, but if you don't have a high fence that dear ceases to be "yours" when it crosses over. Same works in reverse when one comes onto your property.

Even the big ranches benefit from deer that move in between heards - you think they would say, oh pardon me that 170 BC jumped the fence, you can't shoot him? Hell no.

Us small leasers have no option other than to bring deer in. There is nothing wrong with putting up feeders, planting food plots, deer licks, protien, anything and everything to get deer moving ONTO your land.

Should a 50 or 100 acre place have 10 hunters all wishing to fill all their tags? No, of course not.

But most small acre leases these days are like mine - myself and 2 boys (only one is hunting age right now). If I choose to fill our tags, it's my choice and totally legal.

I draw the deer in, I paid my license and lease fees, I paid for the cameras, food, blinds, feeders, etc...I have as much right to what is on my land as anyone does with the deer on their land - even if that deer has only been on my lease a few minutes.

If anyone is anal enough to believe that the deer on their place belong to them and only them - then as others have said they should high fence it. That will certainly paint a pretty picture for our state, no more small leases for the family man. I can hardly wait.

And for the record, my blinds are in the middle of my 100 acres well away from any fence lines.

Earl

Earl, I agree with everything you've said accept the part about harvesting as many animals as your tags allow.

And I'd hate to see the family lease go away. After all, that's what it's all about, taking the kids hunting and fishing.

However, if all the places around you were 100 acres and each had two hunters that took 3, 4, or 5 deer a year, how long would the deer last? My point is that if you and one of your son harvest five deer each, that's a deer per 10 acres and I don't believe your hunting would be any good after one year if a big place next to you harvested the same number of deer per acre.

I hope you have a great season and get the buck of your dreams.

Posted By: Earl

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 02:43 AM

Thanks Iluv and same to you.

I agree too that a person shouldn't take every deer they can just because they can (if their lease size and population cannot support it), if they do - one day they may wake up and find out they do't have too many anymore.

Especially your point is valid if you are in a county that allows that many deer, mine is only a 3 deer (one buck) county and even at that I couldn't imagine us taking more than 2 or 3 deer between us. I mean we can only eat so much - I don't want to even get in to all the unneated vacuum packed tuna cramming my freezer right now...

I guess what I was saying is if a fellow wants to use all his tags - it's his decision. But if he isn't judicious in how he/she does it they may find themselves with no deer one day. Does it make someone that does so unethical? Well it's legal, I'd say it would make them more ignorant (if their land and population cannot support it) than anything else.

Take care,
Earl

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 03:20 AM

Thats more reason not to have a disabled person or child shooting towards my property.How about if I have my kid with me walking to my stand and the naighbor shoots across the property line and hits me or my kid? Most of us are just trying to have a safe hunt.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks Iluv and same to you.

I agree too that a person shouldn't take every deer they can just because they can (if their lease size and population cannot support it), if they do - one day they may wake up and find out they do't have too many anymore.

Especially your point is valid if you are in a county that allows that many deer, mine is only a 3 deer (one buck) county and even at that I couldn't imagine us taking more than 2 or 3 deer between us. I mean we can only eat so much - I don't want to even get in to all the unneated vacuum packed tuna cramming my freezer right now...

I guess what I was saying is if a fellow wants to use all his tags - it's his decision. But if he isn't judicious in how he/she does it they may find themselves with no deer one day. Does it make someone that does so unethical? Well it's legal, I'd say it would make them more ignorant (if their land and population cannot support it) than anything else.

Take care,
Earl

Exactly!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:12 PM

No, I don't know it. I have seen blinds on ranches that were located right on the fence line and only had one shooting window and it faced into the property it was setting on. There were viewing ports on each side facing the directions the right of way ran, but you could not shoot out of them.

My bet is the 50 or 100 yards, especially if you could still see it would not be far enough.

In fact I would be willing to place money that if truth be known, you don't think that 50 to 100 to maybe even 200 acre strips that are between two larger parcels with intesive feed and management programs should even be hunted, especially those of 100 acres or less.

Should the blind be on the fence, no. I have agreed with that from the beginning.

Where I draw the line is when you or anyone else starts trying to lay claim to Public Property that is Free Ranging, simply because you have invested time and money into it.

Then to top that off you start throwing the ethics card around.

You don't want someone shooting YOUR deer, move YOUR feeders farther from the fence, you have more acreage, so just move the feeders so that the deer won't have a need to go over to the neighbors feeders.

High Fence that stretch, that way YOUR deer can't go over next door and get themselves shot.

As for the comment someone made about the deer a person has raised. You are not gonna raise any deer on 1000 acres or less, unless it is high fenced.

There will be deer born on the place, but they will range all over the area that they can travel to.

Just so anyone is not familiar with the numbers, and I question these numbers for deer in Texas, but the old rule of thumb was that a doe had a home range of 640 acres and a buck 1280.

Should a stand and a feeder be placed directly on a neighbors fence line, No.

If a person has a piece of property where that is the only place a stand could be located, take time before placing it to contact the owner or leasors of the neighboring property and discuss the matter with them.

Compromise is a wonderful word.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:18 PM

Quote:

Thats more reason not to have a disabled person or child shooting towards my property.

You have a problem of some kind with kids or disabled people hunting?????

You might want to rethink that statement.

That is being vey disrespectful of two groups that are probably some of the safest hunters around.

You need to check some of the safety records and actually see what group of hunters are involved in hunting related accidents.

Not sure what your problem is or why you feel that way, but I don't think I would have sid that on an Open Forum. JMO.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 12:19 PM

Quote:

typical a$$ hole landowners in texas.

And we wonder why more and more landowners are reluctant to lease out their property and are going to guided or restricted hunts. Seems the days of respect for the landowners, their property and their neighbors property have gone to the way side. That comment, and others like it is the main reason I'll never lease out my place.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 03:58 PM

sounds like your guilty of being one. I didnt say anyting about disrespecting anyone, way to take words out of context,there are plenty of people I think are [censored] holes but it doesnt mean that I dont respect them as a person.Not that I care but because I said that he was a typical [censored] hole landowner in tx, you arent going to lease your property? appereantly you failed to read my other comments on here as well. Point is, you can be an [censored] about things with your neighbors or you could talk to them first and work things out..but saying they cant hunt down a fenceline if they arent shooting over your land is a crock. Pretty sure alot of deer travel between a few leases not just one.

Posted By: bhunter

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 04:12 PM

ive got a question, you say your neighbor is putting feeders and blinds up along your fence line, does this mean you are trying to do the same by putting your stuff up along the fence line?

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 04:32 PM

I tried to stay out of this one, but can't.

I have hunted small places (40 acres) medium places(1100) and high fenced (22,000 with one fence).

It's not ethical....wow, the E word, to tell me what I can hunt and not hunt as long as I do it legally. Ethics has to be a personal choice.

If I am hunting the big place in south texas, or the 40 acres in east texas, and a deer that is legal, and with the agreements of the landowner and I, then its my decision to make.

If someone buys a 10 point 185 record deer, and he gets loose and acts like a normal deer, uhm walking and eating and looking around, and I shoot him, then I had a right to shoot him.

Doesn't matter if I am a landowner, a lease member, a guest, or what.

Hard to hunt a 40 acre triangle and be 100 yards from the fence/property line.

If they do something wrong, call the cops.
If they do something you don't like, visit with them.
If they do something that you want illegal, call your legislator.

Posted By: SplitTimeHunter

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 04:42 PM

All of the landowners around us have an agreement of 100 yards off the fence. It is one rule that we must follow to hunt on this ranch. Seems to work pretty well. The only neighbor that has a stand closer than 100 yards is the same guy that put up a high fence a few years back. BTW I have seen whitetails go over a high fence. So it is possible for those deer to intermingle. I've also seen them bounce off like a pin ball.

Posted By: MontagueBowBuster

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 04:48 PM

We had a similiar situation on my friends place and after the GW came out he made them place all there feeders and stands at least 50yds away from any fences.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 04:57 PM

I don't have anything within 250 yards of any fences, as many here who've hunted my place can verify.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 05:23 PM

Quote:

sounds like your guilty of being one.

What? the number of TX Landowners that you've broad brushed as being [censored] holes. First off you don't know me nor have you ever seen my place, so once again you broad brush.

Quote:

I didnt say anyting about disrespecting anyone,

Nope you sure didn't, i said you were being disrespectful.

Quote:

Point is, you can be an [censored] about things with your neighbors or you could talk to them first and work things out

It would help you in the future to pay attention to what people have said.

Quote:

I have the same problem, as some from the forum who've hunted my place can verify. What i found out was there is absolutely nothing legally you can do to make them back off. With that said there is 1 method of persuasion i've found to be effective, and thats talking to them. You have to be careful about any other methods, such as mothballs, disposing of carcass's, human urine or feces. Those methods fall under hunter harassment laws and you yourself could get in trouble. If conversation fails, then you still have 1 option. Since hunting out of a vehicle is perfectly legal as long as your on private property, you can make a point out of driving by during optimum shooting hours. Just be careful and inspect the roads ahead of you, some have been known to throw roofing nails and other debris over into your roads. But by doing that, they themselves are guilty of hunter harassment.

--------------------
In memory of Trooper Troy Hogue
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/memorial/Hogue.htm

Quote:

but saying they cant hunt down a fenceline if they arent shooting over your land is a crock.

Please feel free to point out where i said that in any of my posts.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 05:27 PM

Quote:

Hard to hunt a 40 acre triangle and be 100 yards from the fence/property line.

Too bad Sig... if you only have 40 acres, then you should not be albe to hunt it.... maybe they will let you kill just one deer, but only every third year.

The fact that you paid 10's of thousands for your 40 acres to hunt doesn't mean crap to these people that lease their 1000 acres next to you.

Those people only kill 8 deer all year on their 1000 acres. That's 1 deer every 125 acres and since you don't own 125 acres, you should not be albe to kill one but every 3 years You better stick to just hunting your big property down south so you don't make them mad or they might throw thier own crap at you (like a bunch of monkeys) next time they see you out hunting THEIR deer

Posted By: MontagueBowBuster

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 05:27 PM

No I meant my friends neighbors are the ones who had there blinds and feeders to close to his property. It seems like alot of the times you see this. it's a place that doesnt have very good internal land and try to drawl deer off the neighbors. The place next to my ranch in Bowie has a identical situation as this guys. he got all his feeders right on the fence line of the neighbors, because the place he hunts has virtually no woods and mostly pastures for the cows to graze.

Posted By: Rwuensch

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 06:08 PM

You better stick to just hunting your big property down south so you don't make them mad or they might throw thier own crap at you (like a bunch of monkeys) next time they see you out hunting THEIR deer

Now that was funny! Keep it up, i need some entertaining today.

Posted By: fastliberator

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 07:15 PM

What has happened to one of the very first lessons I was tought as a child "The Golden Rule"? Most "sportsmen" are usually pretty good guys. There are always some @#$holes, but general we are a good bunch of guys, why not try talking with other hunters on the other lease and see if some kind of agreement can be reached? Maybe bored up the windows of there stand that face your property line, some kind of compromise. If you talk to them in a nice way and show your concern, I would bet that the vast majority of guys would be acomidating. If not then take it to the land owner, it is his land, he has the final say in what goes on. If that doesnt work, then try the GW, they usually get results. They don't like @#$holes either.

For the guys out there that wouldn't be willing to meet half way or at least come to some sort of agreement, quit being an @#$hole, what would your mothers think!!!!!!

Just my opinion
\

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 07:50 PM

Great post fastliberator!

You are right... what would your mother say if she knew you saved up your own crap in a bag and piss in 2 liter bottles just to throw them at your neighbor's blind b/c you are worried he might get tempted to break the law (which you have never seen him do) while he is hunting.

What would your mother say?

I even saw a post later in this string of comedy by the same people who in one breath are all about wrecking the others hunt with these tactics and then they turned around and said it's all about family and bringing your kids out??????

I would love to see him explain his actions to a child...

"ya see son.... I think these people might be up to no good, so I save up my crap, piss and hair and throw it around their stand" "have you ever seen them do anything daddy?" "nope, but they just have to be bad people b/c they have a stand on the fence line.

What a role model.

Posted By: txcornhusker

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 08:00 PM

Quote:

what would your mother say if she knew you saved up your own crap in a bag and piss in 2 liter bottles just to throw them at your neighbor's blind

"ya see son.... I think these people might be up to no good, so I save up my crap, piss and hair and throw it around their stand"

I know you are serious but I just got the visual of this and laughed my butt off. Saving it up...so someone would be so vindictive as to crap on top of their own crap over and over in a bag, just to throw at a stand. I had a lease guy like that once. Sorry but the visual of someone opening up a bag with their own crap stored up in it and laying down another steamer on top of what's already in there just cracks me up!!

Point well taken though Greg!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 08:02 PM

That could go both ways,
Daddy why do we have to hunt right on the neighbors fenceline, aren't you afraid you might see or hurt somebody on the other side of the fence? We seem to have all this land and we hunt on the fenceline. Daddy is the grass always greener on the other side of the fence?

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 08:07 PM

Now I wish I had stayed out of it. But oh well, that's my nature.

I have placed stands near fences, and have had it done. It doesn't seem to bother me, unless I see or see evidence of someone doing something illegal.

In fact, I'd rather someone be on the fence facing in, that 200 yards off the fence shooting out.

If he's hunting on me, then we'd have an issue. And I hope I would handle it by talking to him, or calling the authorities, not defacing his property, or my property, or other things like that.

All that said, if I have a better place to hunt, I do. I don't make a practice of hunting from a blind next to a fence. If someone ever wants to talk about it, I'd be open to that too.

ON the 40 acre place (my buddies, its not mine) we have hunted as many as 3 spots. Its tremendously thick timber, and we felt safe with each other and our hunting areas.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 08:13 PM

Quote:

Daddy why do we have to hunt right on the neighbors fenceline, aren't you afraid you might see or hurt somebody on the other side of the fence? We seem to have all this land and we hunt on the fenceline. Daddy is the grass always greener on the other side of the fence?

And that answer would go like this....

"hang on a minute son... remember when daddy first taught you about hunting what he told you... you never shoot at anything when you don't know what's behind your target.... you also can't shoot across fencelines... it's illegal. You see... our blind is facing away from the fence... we have it here b/c it is up on a hill and it gives us a great view looking over the pond down there and that great deer trail behind it. So listen little one... you won't hurt anyone on the other side of the fence if you don't shoot that way. It's up to you and me little buddy to teach others that not all people who put stands on a fenceline are up to no good. Maybe they will see that some day and come over and have a beer with daddy around the camp fire at night"

Posted By: Big Orn

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 08:26 PM

I can understand where Vernon is coming from. It's like that here in many places. I know it's hard to visualize, but hunters adapt pretty easy. Just because a hunter has a blind on the fenceline, don't mean he's gonna hunt the fenceline. And I'd durn sure rather him be on that line, facing inward, than out yonder 100 yards facing out towards me and mine. But, again, there is that situation here, but it's not a problem.

On the other hand, on my place near Thomas Lake, my new neighbor last year set his feeder right on top of our property line (no fence, just purple paint). I asked him if he was using the feeder to pull deer or if he was going to hunt it. He said he intended to hunt it. I then pointed out where my stand was located and told him I guess we'll both be hunting it then. It took him awhile, but he finally said he'd move it. Sometimes I think a lack of communication is the real culprit.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 08:28 PM

Good post.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 08:33 PM

Quote:

Thomas Lake,

Scurry, Borden county?

Posted By: AdvTX

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 08:38 PM

I thought about this some more today and I think it's pretty simple. Just ask yourself if you want someone 10 yards off your fence line and 90% of people you ask would say no. A guy on our lease put up a feeder right on our neighbors fence and I told him he had to move it and he said lets wait and see if they call and I told him I would rather avoid the call. It's not about....."it's legal"....it's all about what you believe is right(friendly) and if it doesn't bother you then do it. On our west fence line there is still a feeder that the neighbors put up last year and the tripod is about 125yards west of that and at the angle its facing its just about in line with our lease house.......NOT COOL....I would care except I can hear these idiots talking all morning and we have 2300acres.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 08:54 PM

I understand the situation and see the problem.

One request I am gonna make of everyone on here, over the next two/three weeks, when you are out traveling, please take time and see how many blind/feeder set ups you see, where the feeder is set up between the blind and the road or highway, with a shooting window facing the roadway at less than two hundred yards.

I have seen probably two dozen set ups such as that over the past two years.

As for the "How Close Is To Close" issue, what is the major concern everyone has, Safety or Someone Shooting A Deer That YOU Spent Time "Growing" Till It Meet Your Standards For Shooting?

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 09:05 PM

Greg,
I am not as concerned on the stand, but rather the feeder being on the fenceline and them shooting into our property. With that being said, I am not crazy about the stand either. I am just glad the landowner also sees it my way and he will be making them remove both the stand and feeder from being to close to the fence line. Have a great day and JP your welcome for the traffic and heated debate.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 09:10 PM

We did cause some traffic didn't we

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 09:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thomas Lake,

Scurry, Borden county?

Bryans Mill, Cass County...God's Country...

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 09:20 PM

But it didn't get out of hand!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 09:27 PM

Congratulations, it is a whole bunch better that you were able to get it worked out that way, then trying some of the other stuff a lot of us suggested.

Glad to hear things are getting worked out.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 10:39 PM

hwy- you still dont get it. but my whole post was not directed to you so dont feel that special.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/02/07 11:04 PM

Sorry dusten01, you are the one that doesn't get it!

You want respect from folks and yet make a blanket statement like this:

Quote:

typical a$$ hole landowners in texas. thanks for giving us a great name guys!

It is that kind of attitude or opinion of landowners that causes some of the problems.

That whole statement was not needed. There are a lot of really good landowners out there that used to let folks hunt and fish on them, till people with your attitude started acting like the landowners "Owed" you something.

You haven't met Hwy_man, but I have.

Your statement was completely uncalled for.

Landowners don't "Owe" me, you or any one else a single thing.

Instead of telling people they don't get it, why don't you go back and look at your responses and see who is more out of line. JMDO.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/03/07 12:07 AM

You go CHC!!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/04/07 04:29 PM

I have been on both sides of the owner/hunter coin. I can see from both points. Most of the landowners I deal with, are mirrors. You see exactly what you are giving.

As for being &^^%%&&**'s, we can all do that, its in there somewhere. It just seems to vary from person to person what brings it out.

I suffer sometimes from being too open, friendly, and having high expectations. I'd rather be disappointed when someone treats me incorrectly, than be happy that I have no dealings with them at all. Now once someone has a track record, then I may start to predetermine my attitude toward them.

I got shafted by a landowner this year, after 6 years of management and improvements, including structural improvements, we were not renewed. Our check was returned in mid August...As much as I am disappointed in being treated that way, and as much as I will not go back there again,....it is still his land and he can do as he pleases.

As for where someone hunts near me, if I see a stand on or near the line, I'd start by assuming they are honest ethical law-abiding safety conscious hunters like "ALL of US". But I have been wrong before. I just can't go through life automatically thinking the negative thought first. Maybe someday I will be burnt enough to do that, but not now. BUT even with that, each person has to make their own decisions in their own paradigm.

Posted By: fastliberator

Re: How close is to close? - 10/04/07 04:49 PM

Good perspective SIG, I can relate to what you are saying.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 12:55 PM

Greg, sent a guy I know real well a link to this site and here is how he answered your question:

I read the string on the hunter's forum. As to the guy who wanted to know what's wrong with it:

It's like walking into a public restroom with a wall full of urinals. It's bad form to go right next to another man, unless that's the only one open. No, it's not illegal, but it sure makes you question someones intent. It's just bad form, and most people should have been/have been raised better. It makes you wonder if the guy is going to reach over, or start the Larry Craig toe tap. Why would you want someone to think that of you? When you talk with someone, you shouldn't get right up in their face, and when you hunt, you should follow the same principle; or people are going to wonder if you are a toe tapper.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 01:08 PM

I like it!

Posted By: wellingtontx

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 01:52 PM

Just got back from my lease this weekend (10-07-07). Same problem, been hunting property for years with well established blind and feeders. Discovered new hunters set up feeder directly on fence line and blind 100 yards away overlooking my property. Contacted landowner while out on property to no avail. If it wouldnt mess up my hunting, feel like going out there opening morning dressed in total blaze orange and sitting a lawn chair next to the fence, on my property, beside his feeder. Perhaps a pop up blind next to the fence with one of those portable toilets inside would be best.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 02:12 PM

Quote:

Just got back from my lease this weekend (10-07-07). Same problem, been hunting property for years with well established blind and feeders. Discovered new hunters set up feeder directly on fence line and blind 100 yards away overlooking my property. Contacted landowner while out on property to no avail. If it wouldnt mess up my hunting, feel like going out there opening morning dressed in total blaze orange and sitting a lawn chair next to the fence, on my property, beside his feeder. Perhaps a pop up blind next to the fence with one of those portable toilets inside would be best.

Welcome to THF, wellingtontx

Have you had a chance to talk to the new guys? Is your feeder/blind obvious from their viewpoint?

A good ol' sitdown might remedy the problem.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 02:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Have you had a chance to talk to the new guys? Is your feeder/blind obvious from their viewpoint?

A good ol' @sswhoopin might remedy the problem.

Great advice there Orn

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 02:18 PM

Well that kind of makes since I guess... I sure don't want to be known as a toe tapper I also see that if your lease is flat field and your neighbor's lease is deep woods and you put a feeder right next to the fence that you are trying to draw deer on your side.

That being said... they still are not "his" deer though and in essance we are all trying to draw and or keep the deer on our property. We just spent 2 days busting our butts out on our lease with a tractor making food plots a few weeks back and all of our feeders are full.... so..... we all try to draw in deer with these efforts and weather or not you have your stand back up in a corner or not (which I do on one of the 3 pieces of land we lease) it does not change that.

Also, who came up with the 100 yard distance? What makes that okay and not 50 yards? For the record, my feeder is about 70 yards from the fence and since I'm back in the corner looking down over everything my shot would have to be back in to my property.

I guess if my neighbor starts acting like a monkey at the zoo and throws crap all around my blind I will just have to shoot him.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 02:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A good ol' @sswhoopin might remedy the problem.

Great advice there Orn

I guess sittin' down and talking is about the same as an arsewhooping in your part of Texas, Roy!?!?!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 02:28 PM

hehehehehehe

Posted By: Hman

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 02:48 PM

I've read most of this thread and just wanted to submit a post for whatever it is worth.

Regardless of proximity to others, FIRST first objective when placing a feeder and stand should ALWAYS be SAFETY.

I don't think that putting a stand near a neighbor's property is as bad as a putting a feeder there. But, each circumstance is different in their own right.

I have one of my tripod stands backed up into some trees along a property boundary fenceline. I am hunting into my property and plan to be shooting downhill into a SAFE area as opposed to putting the stand in other trees 200 yards from the fenceline and shooting toward my neighbors. To me, that is just common sense. I can only hope that my neighbors are doing the same types of things.

Most of us are hunting free range deer. So, deer may travel several square miles in a day, covering multiple properties. If you've planted a food plot and have sufficient bedding areas on your property, the deer may not travel far. Bottom line is, the deer are free to move about as they wish. They are not "my" deer or "your" deer. Doing your homework and preparation will increase your odds for success.

The problem with others placing feeders near my property is a lack of SAFETY. I think that my preparation will keep most of the deer on my property.

Like I said, each instance is different, so it's hard for any of us here to agree or disagree with the proximity issues without seeing the situation.

Welcome to hunting free range deer in Texas... It's painful sometimes, but better than not hungting at all.

Good luck this season to everyone!!!!

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 02:52 PM

Well put Hymen!! I mean Hman

Welcome to the Forum

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 02:52 PM

Quote:

we all try to draw in deer

There's where the real problem may be. Not all of us are trying to draw in deer. I'm trying to keep those on my place well feed and plentiful. While my neighbor and his 2 sons to the south are trying to kill everyone that cross's the fence. When your talking about at least 15 deer off of 20 acres, not counting what his friends shoot, thats allot. so now i've decided to hi-fence that 1 mile strip. Now who really wins? Had he not got greedy and then made a big show of putting blinds along the fence, he could still take a few deer. Now he's gonna face not having any deer, and he's going to blame me for it.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 03:03 PM

You did not put my whole quote on there.... I said....

"we are all trying to draw and or keep the deer on our property"

There is a big "AND OR Keep the deer" in what I said that you did not quote.

You are right that it stinks to have that yahoo over there killing way too many deer and I do feel for you there. Hopefully the fence will help you and I personally don't hold anything against you if you want to put a fence up to stop that behavior.

I also don't think that you are ever gonna pass down other "new" deer that happen to stumble on to your oasis of food plots and bedding areas though. My point is that you don't just spend the time to manage your land ONLY for the deer that are currently on it.... Or at least I'm gonna say I don't.

I do both... I try and keep deer around and also try and attract other new deer to my lease and think MOST people in a low fence lease would be telling a fib if they said other.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 03:50 PM

Using "quick reply" so this is not addressed to anyone in
particular, just more of my rambling.

There are definatetly some (gulp) ethical
or (double gulp) moral aspects to this issue, most
of which can not be resolved without some form
of new legistlation, and I think most would agree
we DO NOT NEED ANYMORE LEGISLATION.

I think the urinal situation as an example
is WAY over simplifying the issue. The option
of using a pisser that is at a more appropriate
distance is pretty obvious. Forming an opinion
or perspective of someone else based on only a
partial view of the situation is far from the same.

Here's a real life situation that some may or may not
feel is along the same lines:
Several places in the public land area I hunt
shares a border (dilapidated fence row) with private
property that is hunted. I've seen in more than one
spot where feeders are setup within 50 yds, probably
less of the line and several food plots that are
maintained coming within a few feet of the line.
Are these landowners (or their clients if leased)
being "unethical"? I use an established trail along
the border line to get back into the woods and veer
off into the creek bottom and have many times HEARD
feeders going off before daylight. This has gone on
for years. Being uneducated and lacking in what others
may feel are inherent notions of protocall, I always
just assumed the private land people could legally bait
as they saw fit, even if they had a comparativley
VERY SMALL amount of land and were drawing deer from
the Federal Wildlife Management Area.
I'm not sure what to think of this situation now.
Land owner rights? Too close for comfort?
Food plot same as feeder?
There's just too many blurry lines to think we can
all like each other. We just have to accept what
we don't have control over and use good judgement
with what we do have control over. Wow, another
over-simplified statement! Sorry.

PK

Posted By: wellingtontx

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 07:51 PM

The truth is that I am more concerned for my safety and those that hunt my blind than the bum neighbor who placed a feeder right on the fence row "stealing" or attracting deer off of our lease. Certainly wont allow any of the minors on our place to be in or near my hunting area without orange on. Yes, to anser some of the questions posed, I have a 20 foot tower blind that the bum/neighbor could easily see for miles in my part of the country. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/08/07 07:56 PM

Quote:

He knew exactly what he was doing.

Then it's Hamma Time!!! Not in the literal sense, but it's time to have a calm, mature talk with your neighbor. Better do it soon, in my opinion.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/09/07 02:52 PM

"I think the urinal situation as an example
is WAY over simplifying the issue. The option
of using a pisser that is at a more appropriate
distance is pretty obvious. Forming an opinion
or perspective of someone else based on only a
partial view of the situation is far from the same."

I personally feel the urinal example is a great example, sometimes simplifing something can make even hard headed people understand.

It is kind of like what Captain McCall from Lonsome Dove stated "It's rude behavior and it will not be tolerated."

Posted By: dirtynix

Re: How close is to close? - 10/11/07 09:58 PM

good to a local farm supply store and ask for a propane bird cannon. hook it up to a propane bottle and set the timer for 10 minutes.. and like clock work it will go off. sound like a shotgun or rifle shot. there wont be a deer for 1/2 mile. but this should be used as a last resort to talking to the SOBs

Posted By: Rwuensch

Re: How close is to close? - 10/12/07 12:17 AM

Quote:

good to a local farm supply store and ask for a propane bird cannon. hook it up to a propane bottle and set the timer for 10 minutes.. and like clock work it will go off. sound like a shotgun or rifle shot. there wont be a deer for 1/2 mile. but this should be used as a last resort to talking to the SOBs

Now that is a good idea.

Re: How close is to close? - 10/12/07 12:24 AM

That is undoubtedly the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard of!

Do Deer Run At The Sound Of Thunder? HELL NO!!

Deer won't run at the sound of a gun shot unless you throw dirt up on them or hit next to them.

Those things only work for scaring birds.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum