Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A little rant about hunting shows. #99260 10/16/06 12:28 PM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
OK, I'll be honest, most of this stems from the fact that it rained all weekend and i didn't get a chance to hunt, but i did get my fill of hunting shows.

Rant #1. Once again i saw a hunter leave a buck out over night.
This ones really starting to bother me. As bad as i hate to say it, it seems there's more concern for the horns, than there is for the meat.

Rant#2. I'm sick and tired of seeing staged stalks and staged tracking of wounded animals.

One show in particular had a hunter crawling on his belly, right into the lens of the camera. The other is shot from where the animals is laying, with the hunters intently looking at the ground and tracking the blood trail.

Rant #3. Whats with all the damn music in the back ground?

I have enough trouble trying to hear whats going on and what their saying, without having ZZ TOP jamming in the back ground. Those of you that have spent as much time behind a shotgun as i have, will immediately understand.

OK, i feel better now. With a little luck the weather will change for the better and I'll get to finally go out and fling a stick at a big one I've been watching.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: HWY_MAN] #99261 10/16/06 12:47 PM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm in total agreement.

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: MikeC] #99262 10/16/06 12:53 PM
R
redraider99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
After watching hunting shows all last year, to the point that my wife wanted to get rid of the TV, I have decided to lay off of them this year for two reasons. 1. I feel the same way you do. and 2. It just makes me want to go more and my wife is already sick of me saying I wish I was hunting right now.

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: redraider99] #99263 10/16/06 01:31 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
lol, ZZ top was last seasons music, this year it's fleetwood mac. i agree with you on everything but the leaving the deer out overnite, if you wound an animal and it won't die or you can't get to it to put another round in it, you will have to leave it. you don't want to push it onto another property. i'd rather have just the horns and no meat than no animal at all, especially knowing it would die anyway.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: txtrophy85] #99264 10/16/06 01:48 PM
B
BuckMark Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
The only show I really like watching anymore is Across America's The Outfitter w/ Colorado Buck. Show is usaully pretty good and he is a character. All the rest are a little too much and over-the-top.

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: HWY_MAN] #99265 10/16/06 02:02 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla

After you've had that first cup of coffee of a morning, HWY MAN, you need to work it off before watching hunting shows. I can't figure the music out either, but there's a reason for it...it has to do with maintaining attention or some such. But it don't work with me either. I'd just as soon hear an ol boy burp on camera than a screaming guitar drowning out the real stuff.

It reminds me of The Bigfoot Hunter show. They finally make their way into his domain, then suddenly stop - that's when the wild music starts - then you hear the man say, "Hey! Did you hear that? That's him!" Uh...yeah...I heard him - ol Bigfoot plays hard rock junk...

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: Big Orn] #99266 10/16/06 03:29 PM
J
jbhlsu Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
what gets me is 5 min of hunting and 55 min of stupid commercials....good luck this weekend!!! I will be there

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: Big Orn] #99267 10/16/06 03:33 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I go along completely with what Hwy_man said. Txtrophy85, not picking on you, but I am seeing way too many folks putting an unhealthy emphasis on finding the horns and not trying to recover the animal. If what I am saying offends you, I apologise to you, but, there should be no reason, in Texas, unless a lot of folks are just lying S.O.B.s about their deer always dropping in their tracks, for a deer to get away from someone setting in a stand and shooting from a bench rest. Maybe folks need to stop buying those big lensed light gathering scopes, and pushing that 30 minutes after sundown envelope, or just stop hunting a little earlier. I stop when the Sun. goes down, I don't hunt that last 30 minutes. There ain't no set of horns in my book, worth losing all of that meat, hoping that the horns can be found the next day. To me that is a real question of ethics. JMO

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: MikeC] #99268 10/16/06 04:04 PM
S
SwaggerFan Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I must have been watching the same shows this weekend. I am in agreement as well.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither...
Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: SwaggerFan] #99269 10/16/06 04:17 PM
T
thirdeyemaps Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
A little annoying that every buck bigger than a spike is "wow - a really great buck" on most of these shows. Management doesn't seem to be their thing.

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: thirdeyemaps] #99270 10/16/06 05:45 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

A little annoying that every buck bigger than a spike is "wow - a really great buck" on most of these shows. Management doesn't seem to be their thing.

Welcome to THF, thirdeyemaps

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: Big Orn] #99271 10/16/06 06:14 PM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity

Pass the butter, please!

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: Crazyhorse] #99272 10/16/06 07:01 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Quote:

I go along completely with what Hwy_man said. Txtrophy85, not picking on you, but I am seeing way too many folks putting an unhealthy emphasis on finding the horns and not trying to recover the animal. If what I am saying offends you, I apologise to you, but, there should be no reason, in Texas, unless a lot of folks are just lying S.O.B.s about their deer always dropping in their tracks, for a deer to get away from someone setting in a stand and shooting from a bench rest. Maybe folks need to stop buying those big lensed light gathering scopes, and pushing that 30 minutes after sundown envelope, or just stop hunting a little earlier. I stop when the Sun. goes down, I don't hunt that last 30 minutes. There ain't no set of horns in my book, worth losing all of that meat, hoping that the horns can be found the next day. To me that is a real question of ethics. JMO

No offense taken. i will stand up and and tell everyone that hunts that i am a trophy hunter. i hunt animals for their head gear(and the joy and excitment that i get from hunting). that said, i do eat alot of deer meat. i take seveal does each year and process a few and give the rest away. I think leaving a deer out overnite( whether its a doe, spike or 160 class monster) is a last resort. i personally would go back to camp, get my shotgun w/buckshot, spotlight and knife, and go get my deer. its something that i would hate to do, and have not had to do yet. i also agree that hunters take too marginal of shots sometimes. most of my deer drop in their tracks, and the ones that have ran did't make it too far. i was just saying that in a situation where their is greater than 50% chance that i will not be in a position to kill an animal that i have wounded, i will leave it overnite and get it in the morning. but size of the horns or antlers should never compromise ones ethics

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: txtrophy85] #99273 10/16/06 07:40 PM
R
Reloader-7 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Hey HWY,

I agree with you man. Too much rock music, (and I like ZZ Top and Fleetwood Mac both, just not on a hunting show), and too many canned stalks! I gave them up last season. I just reload, or find something to do in the shop. Those shows dont seem to have anything to do with the type of hunting that I do, or have seen. Some of those guys have laundry CREASES in their camo. When was the last time you starched and ironed YOUR camo? And there is usually an ad or ads for the place that they are hunting. The hunts at those places cost about a "bazillion" dollars. Not my style or price range, so I dont watch em any more.

1911 - for the times when 911 just isn't fast enough.

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe when the legislature is in session." - Will Rogers
Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: Reloader-7] #99274 10/16/06 08:11 PM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Quote:

And there is usually an ad or ads for the place that they are hunting. The hunts at those places cost about a "bazillion" dollars. Not my style or price range, so I don't watch em any more.

That part doesn't really bother, it cost money to produce those shows and adds are where that revenue comes from. It's the actual production it's self that gets my goat. Not all these shows are like that, when it comes to staging clips. Jim Shockey does some great shows, as do Alan and Keith Warren, Jim Zumbo, Jack Brittingham. There's just a few out there that really don't get it. Sure they get to hunt on some great places, but those places also get some great advertising out of it. These hunts ain't cheap, but there always seems to be a waiting list, to hunt on them.

Quote:

Not my style or price range, so I don't watch em any more.

Not so much mine either, but i seem to watch them every chance i get. Hunting with Jim Shockey up in the Yukon territory for Moose, would be a dream hunt. But due to his show I've got to see allot of people fulfill there dreams.

One of these day's, One of these day's.

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: HWY_MAN] #99275 10/16/06 09:19 PM
O
operationporkchop Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
DIDO... HWY_MAN, that fake suprise look on the face when they walk up to the cam and the game, that kills me. I'm going to start buying more hunting DVD's, these have alot less talking and alot more action.

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: operationporkchop] #99276 10/17/06 12:18 AM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
you know, thats why I like Tred Barta. He isnt trying to sell me anything, he isnt faking it, and he even has shows where he comes up empty handed. So far, Tred is the only one who does not appear to be a shill for a product or a ranch. And if anyone saw Tred try and stick a hog in south texas you know what I mean, that was not staged and tred acting like a wuss sure made me feel like a badboy

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: txbrian] #99277 10/17/06 12:34 AM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I was hunting all weekend, so i wouldn't know Am I rubbing it in a little or what??? All kidding aside it is much hype on most of those shows. Save the drama for your mama

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: 7mag] #99278 10/17/06 05:25 AM
S
sasquatch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I could do without the music too but as far as staged stalks... You know these guys go out with a camera man, 75 pounds of camera gear,batteries and tripods, a guide, then whoever else tags along. A stalk is almost impossible. So what they do a lot of times is to perform the hunt and try to re-inact it as best they can. If they didn't, they wouldn't have any footage. It would be them sneaking away, then the next scene would be showing the trophy - not very entertaining. These hunters are not very good actors so the "fakeness" of it really shows. If you will notice on a lot of shows, they provide shooter firing, then impact footage. How do you think they did that with one camera? They killed the deer, then recorded the hunter shooting a stump and edited it all together in the studio.

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: HWY_MAN] #99279 10/17/06 12:37 PM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
A screaming guitar and pounding drums is not what I want to hear during a hunting show. There are a few that I do like to watch, as far as I can tell Eastlands hunting journal is pretty good as is Realtree's road trips. They joke around in camp pretty much like we do. I've never left a deer out over night, especially here. My uncle did one time and after the hogs were done with it, he just had a couple of hairs left. I hit a deer with my 270 or 300 chances are it hasn't gone far and if I can't locate it, I go to camp and get help and I've yet to lose one (knock on wood).

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: copperhead] #99280 10/17/06 01:04 PM
P
PKnTX Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I'm with you HWY_MAN.
If one pops up while I'm flip'n thru
the channels I just keep flip'n.
Well, except for Tred. I do like
to see what that yahoo is up to.

PK

Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: HWY_MAN] #99281 10/17/06 06:44 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Yup I had the rain as well, but I've already given up on the noise they call hunting shows. Once in a while you can come across one that's not playing the noise, and could be real.

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: PKnTX] #99282 10/17/06 06:53 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
I agree with you guys on this stuff but the thing i dont like is the shows try to pass the hosts off as great hunters when their not.These guys just get to hunt in great places that 99 percent of us cant afford. They also have their stands set up for them or by the landowner who does all their scouting. Thats not my idea of a great hunter or what hunting realy is about" The only part i enjoy is seeing what whitetails can be if left to get old.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: HWY_MAN] #99283 10/17/06 10:24 PM
S
skookumchuck Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Bottom line that the hunting shows are just like the fishing shows. Put some guy out there and make it look easy. For what? To sell something, that's for what. No down, no payments for a kazillion months at no interest. No different than cars or trucks or furniture or macburgers. It's all hype, untrue, made up adventure for the couch potato. Oh, oh, I'm talking about myself now. But I'm not knocking the guys that can afford it. They worked hard for the chance to hunt with the big boys.
skookumchuck

Who, me?
Re: A little rant about hunting shows. [Re: HWY_MAN] #3529042 08/30/12 10:11 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
OK, I'll be honest, most of this stems from the fact that it rained all weekend and i didn't get a chance to hunt, but i did get my fill of hunting shows.

Rant #1. Once again i saw a hunter leave a buck out over night.
This ones really starting to bother me. As bad as i hate to say it, it seems there's more concern for the horns, than there is for the meat.

Rant#2. I'm sick and tired of seeing staged stalks and staged tracking of wounded animals.

One show in particular had a hunter crawling on his belly, right into the lens of the camera. The other is shot from where the animals is laying, with the hunters intently looking at the ground and tracking the blood trail.

Rant #3. Whats with all the damn music in the back ground?

I have enough trouble trying to hear whats going on and what their saying, without having ZZ TOP jamming in the back ground. Those of you that have spent as much time behind a shotgun as i have, will immediately understand.

OK, i feel better now. With a little luck the weather will change for the better and I'll get to finally go out and fling a stick at a big one I've been watching.

So true...

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide