Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9022044 03/20/24 02:37 AM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
It’s a toss up between the A5 and the Superposed.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9022045 03/20/24 02:39 AM
E
eyedoc Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Jmac,
I grew up watching my dad hunt w his favorite Ithaca 37 16 g, guess I didnt have a choice but to like them, when i got old enough i started using his Ithaca 16g, wasnt a very good shot w it then but dang it felt good

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9022048 03/20/24 02:42 AM
E
eyedoc Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I added a recoil pad to my 16 g and added a little weight in the buttstock, sure helped the bruises when shooting BOSS shells for ducks/geese

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Dave Davidson] #9022083 03/20/24 11:19 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Buncha BS being slung here. Kinda reminds me of the armorers in all the different services getting together at military inter service shooting matches in the late 1960’s. I was shooting for the USAF. Those crusty old NCO’s only agreed on 3 things.

1. The M16 was a jamomatic that got a lot of soldiers killed.
2. Any 2xx caliber was too light to be consider a war weapon. The only thing it was good for was wounding Charlie and it took 2 men to haul off the wounded.
3. They didn’t make men like they used to.

And the half generation before complained about the ballistics and power of the .30 Carbine.

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
If I haven't said it, 3030 lever actions are the gayest of all time

Topic is about which is overrated not which is the gayest. That being said, the .30-30 Winchester, usually from a lever action, has likely killed the most game in the history of this country. Doesn't sound like the definition of overrated.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: 603Country] #9022099 03/20/24 11:52 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 603Country
Admittedly, I was struggling with the right verbiage. Ok, I give up. The 6.5CM is the most over hyped firearm ever. And maybe over rated, but not by folks like us.

And to eyedoc, there’s nothing at all wrong with a pre-64 Model 70. I really wanted one, but when I finally got one, it was just another heavy old rifle. It did the job too, but I just didn’t love it. Maybe mine wasn’t shiny enough to suit me. Hence, the Sako…

I think it deserves most of the "hype" it gets. It's revolutionary for the shooting world to have a round that new shooters can go buy a factory $400 rifle and factory ammo available at any sporting goods store and be capable of hitting small targets at 800-1000 yards easily. Previously, the closest thing the shooting world had was probably 308 with 168 FGMM, which was inferior both ballistically and accuracy-wise.

Lots of "hunters" don't care, which is why a forum like this doesn't seem it particularly relevant, but hunters now make up a minority of the shooting world. The majority of shooters are primarily recreational shooters who might hunt some or might not, but the 6.5cm is a game changer for the ability of folks like me to get young shooters going easily and painlessly. Absolute game changer

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Dave Davidson] #9022105 03/20/24 12:05 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Buncha BS being slung here. Kinda reminds me of the armorers in all the different services getting together at military inter service shooting matches in the late 1960’s. I was shooting for the USAF. Those crusty old NCO’s only agreed on 3 things.

1. The M16 was a jamomatic that got a lot of soldiers killed.
2. Any 2xx caliber was too light to be consider a war weapon. The only thing it was good for was wounding Charlie and it took 2 men to haul off the wounded.
3. They didn’t make men like they used to.

Yeah, looks like they were 2 for 3 on those opinions

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: patriot07] #9022116 03/20/24 12:36 PM
D
diablodog Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by patriot07
Admittedly, I was struggling with the right verbiage. Ok, I give up. The 6.5CM is the most over hyped firearm ever. And maybe over rated, but not by folks like us.

And to eyedoc, there’s nothing at all wrong with a pre-64 Model 70. I really wanted one, but when I finally got one, it was just another heavy old rifle. It did the job too, but I just didn’t love it. Maybe mine wasn’t shiny enough to suit me. Hence, the Sako…

I think it deserves most of the "hype" it gets. It's revolutionary for the shooting world to have a round that new shooters can go buy a factory $400 rifle and factory ammo available at any sporting goods store and be capable of hitting small targets at 800-1000 yards easily. Previously, the closest thing the shooting world had was probably 308 with 168 FGMM, which was inferior both ballistically and accuracy-wise.

Lots of "hunters" don't care, which is why a forum like this doesn't seem it particularly relevant, but hunters now make up a minority of the shooting world. The majority of shooters are primarily recreational shooters who might hunt some or might not, but the 6.5cm is a game changer for the ability of folks like me to get young shooters going easily and painlessly. Absolute game changer

And it does what different then the 120 year old 6.5x55mm does ?

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: diablodog] #9022127 03/20/24 01:06 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by diablodog

Nothing if you hand load a 6.5x55. He is taking about factory ammo and he is correct. I have two 6.5x55s and zero 6.5 Creedmoors but I get his point. You also have unlimited choices of factory Creedmoor rifles and almost none in 6.5x55.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: diablodog] #9022163 03/20/24 02:31 PM
U
unclebubba Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Fits in a short action. Allows long, high BC bullets to be seated farther out. Has a sharper shoulder. Is it better than the sweede? Marginally. And you could easily argue the other way around if case capacity was your deal. If I already had a Sweede, would I buy a creedmoor? Absolutely not.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: diablodog] #9022164 03/20/24 02:41 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Sells new rifles, ammo, and reloading equipment/components.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9022173 03/20/24 02:53 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Creedmoor Derangement Syndrome is alive and well........

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Jgraider] #9022198 03/20/24 03:22 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Jgraider

To be in the over rated category a firearm needs to be good enough to be highly thought of. 6.5 creedmoor is definitely that. Not just good. It is very good. It is touted as revolutionary by many. In that respect it is overrated. It does what the 6.5 x 55 has been doing for 120 years.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9022213 03/20/24 03:51 PM
Jrod88 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 6.5x55 on any sales rack, but I’ve only been around for 30% of its lifetime…6.5CM rifles probably outnumber any rifle chambering on any rack with the exception modern sporting rifles/5.56

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Smokey Bear] #9022214 03/20/24 03:52 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

To be in the over rated category a firearm needs to be good enough to be highly thought of. 6.5 creedmoor is definitely that. Not just good. It is very good. It is touted as revolutionary by many. In that respect it is overrated. It does what the 6.5 x 55 has been doing for 120 years.

Actually it is revolutionary, but not from the ballistics standpoint. It got a whole lot of people into the firearms' game that would likely have never been there. Those people are now on your side when it comes time to vote. From that aspect, it's incalculably under-rated.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Jrod88] #9022217 03/20/24 03:54 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jrod88
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 6.5x55 on any sales rack, but I’ve only been around for 30% of its lifetime…6.5CM rifles probably outnumber any rifle chambering on any rack with the exception modern sporting rifles/5.56

The wussification of America. Used to be a country of men, now people are shooting limp wrist 9 mm and 6.5 cm 🤣🤣

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9022238 03/20/24 04:21 PM
Jrod88 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I’m not championing the round, I’ve yet to shoot 6.5CM, but based on its overlap with other rifles I have, I wouldn’t call it a wussy round. I still have a few mag chamberings, they just cost a lot to shoot. The 6.5 popularity makes rounds easier to get and less sting at the register for us non reloaders.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Jrod88] #9022244 03/20/24 04:38 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Jrod88

This speaks to its popularity and not if it is worthy of that popularity. Worthiness or overrated would always depend on whatever measurement system one wants to apply.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9022247 03/20/24 04:40 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

Actually it is revolutionary, but not from the ballistics standpoint. It got a whole lot of people into the firearms' game that would likely have never been there. Those people are now on your side when it comes time to vote. From that aspect, it's incalculably under-rated.

^^^Everyone should be able to agree on this!!!!!!! If that is the yardstick we "rate" firearms by then it is truly under rated.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: J.G.] #9022283 03/20/24 05:55 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by J.G.
But, freerange, do ya hunt with them? Or do ya just “have them”?

He's got one of the most worn rifles I've ever seen. Over 50 years of hunting with a Pre-64 Win 70 in .30-06. Chipped off polyurethane, dents in the wood, raw metal that used to be blued. I love it! Oh the stories it could tell. After all those years the wood forearm moved and was touching the barrel. The stock did have pillars, and the front bedding job by Winchester. I free floated the barrel again, reinstalled the scope, and checked zero. Two shots with no paper in between them, exactly where it was supposed to be zeroed.

JG, Im not sure if thats intended as a compliment but Ill take it. I like old stuff as long as it works. I think your work on that rifle is about the only thing its ever had done to it.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: freerange] #9022288 03/20/24 06:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by J.G.
But, freerange, do ya hunt with them? Or do ya just “have them”?

He's got one of the most worn rifles I've ever seen. Over 50 years of hunting with a Pre-64 Win 70 in .30-06. Chipped off polyurethane, dents in the wood, raw metal that used to be blued. I love it! Oh the stories it could tell. After all those years the wood forearm moved and was touching the barrel. The stock did have pillars, and the front bedding job by Winchester. I free floated the barrel again, reinstalled the scope, and checked zero. Two shots with no paper in between them, exactly where it was supposed to be zeroed.

JG, Im not sure if thats intended as a compliment but Ill take it. I like old stuff as long as it works. I think your work on that rifle is about the only thing its ever had done to it.

It's a compliment.

It's had a hand load made for it a long time ago. I remember how well it shot.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9022299 03/20/24 06:33 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

I think that is very well said. The ballistics are not magical but the combination of relatively light recoil and a very large selection of Match/Target factory loads along with ample marketing certainly has helped bring peopling into the sport.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9022300 03/20/24 06:37 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Thought this was an "overrated firearm" thread, not an "overrated rifle round" thread???

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: patriot07] #9022302 03/20/24 06:38 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Would yall please stop quoting onlyS&W - I have him on iggy so I don't have to expose myself to that level of stupid.

But then you would miss out on all his "wisdom". roflmao

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Big Fitz] #9022329 03/20/24 07:51 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Big Fitz
Would yall please stop quoting onlyS&W - I have him on iggy so I don't have to expose myself to that level of stupid.

But then you would miss out on all his "wisdom". roflmao

That water bucket getting heavy?

Do I need to remind you of why you lie about me every time you post? It started when you got butt hurt when I corrected you and your hero about the application of loctite on scope rings, resulting in over tightening. You were both wrong. I wasn't rude about it at all, just having a conversation and you and your hero couldn't stand it. Look up the thread. That lead me to me asking you about your qualifications and I disagreed with your claim of being an engineer.

Other than not knowing that custom barrels are marked in the same way machine tolerances are sometimes called out, what have I been wrong about?

I liked you better when you once told me that you had a lot of respect for me. The reason I never called you out for the lie you post about me? I love it when someone asks me what that is all about. It gives me the opportunity to tell them that you're a waterboy for another member of this forum and you're not an engineer as you claim to be, that you were wrong on an issue, got hurt over it and think you're friends with someone that you had to pay a lot of money to get his friendship button. So, leave me in your signature line as it is. It costs someone business every time I get asked about it.

It's like I told your hero that you paid all the money to so that you could be his friend; "don't start none, there won't be none". Bring it on, someone pushes me, I hit back. Been that way since 1st grade roflmao

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9022332 03/20/24 07:58 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I am really proud of the way Daddy raised me.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide