Forums46
Topics538,098
Posts9,732,960
Members87,066
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Roll-Tide] #9006095 02/15/24 06:57 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I've started buying them from Walmart after noticing the name brand batteries didn't last much longer than the warranty. If fact, it's made me wonder how they build them to fail so close to the rated life. I have a good friend who replaces them once the warranty period ends no matter what.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/15/24 06:58 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Roll-Tide] #9006132 02/15/24 08:08 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Went to Walmart. Took old battery out in parking lot. Went in and picked up this one for 109, ha s. 2year warranty.
They knocked if 12 dollar core charge. Installed.

Reminder set for 2 years.

[Linked Image]

Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Roll-Tide] #9006267 02/16/24 12:49 AM
A
Alan D Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
A
Had an Optima red top in my tahoe for at least 6 years and then a battery post broke off. Since I was going to trade it in sometime soon I went with a walmart battery. It died after a couple of months and they swapped it out at no charge. Was working fine when I traded it in last month.

Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Roll-Tide] #9006294 02/16/24 01:14 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Answer: When joe biden took office. FJB.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Roll-Tide] #9006297 02/16/24 01:15 AM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Yet another Covid sham

Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Paluxy] #9006641 02/16/24 06:08 PM
R
rtarchery Online Content
Light Foot
Online Content
Light Foot
R
Replaced the 2 in my 09 Chevy diesel with AC Delco's for I believe $ 135 a piece. The previous Delco's lasted 8 years.

Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Roll-Tide] #9006649 02/16/24 06:37 PM
M
MeanGreen85 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
As already mentioned, Costco interstates for the win. They unfortunately have changed their warranty to prorated value refund instead of full replacement up to 36 mos. They still have the best price for standard lead acids.

Best performance and life will come from and AGM. Be prepared to pay more for one.

Last edited by MeanGreen85; 02/16/24 06:37 PM.
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: MeanGreen85] #9006652 02/16/24 06:44 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by MeanGreen85
As already mentioned, Costco interstates for the win. They unfortunately have changed their warranty to prorated value refund instead of full replacement up to 36 mos. They still have the best price for standard lead acids.

Best performance and life will come from and AGM. Be prepared to pay more for one.

Interstate AGM's for the win.

Gave up on Neverstarts and all lead acid batteries a looooooong time ago.

Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: MeanGreen85] #9006655 02/16/24 06:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

the costco interstate AGM’s dont have the same specs FWIW. Specifically weight.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Roll-Tide] #9006849 02/17/24 02:40 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I just found out about battery price today

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Sewer rat] #9006964 02/17/24 11:58 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
They want 250-300 bucks.

He said half of the US batteries are made by Johnson controls anyway.

They went way up when the importation of foreign lead was regulated differently ... whenever that was. Covid didn't help. There are two main manufacturers of auto batteries in the US just like garage door openers.

Originally Posted by reeltexan
I buy Continental batteries from a local distributor for less than half of that.

Please share the source.

Originally Posted by blkt2
Stick with Wal-Mart for batteries because there isn't another place as easy to warranty one if needed. Buy the most expensive variant they have that fits your car/truck. I replace the batteries in my personal and work vehicles at the 3 year mark no matter what.

Dramatic. Funny thing is Walmart will test the battery and if it passes they will not warranty it ... at least not at our local store. We have a much more expensive tester than they do yet they beat customers around until they relent and go elsewhere when we have printed proof their Walmart battery is crap.

Originally Posted by Sidebuster
I think that the stop/start feature that kills your engine at every stop sign or red light requires the more expensive battery. That's what I was told at the Chevy dealer.

I can't prove an AGM battery should cost more to make and sell but I can confirm an AutoStop vehicle needs a higher rated battery.

Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I think it is a conspiracy. Batteries used to last 5-6 years all the time. I think they figured out how to make them last half as long so they could sell twice as many.

Except auto battery failures are about 20% as common as they were in the 1990's, at least at the dealer level. They've never been more reliable aside from a couple Covid years when everything was junk. In the side post era, we'd go through probably a dozen bad batteries per week per technician in the summer. I bet we see 2-3 per week overall (not per technician) now. What is the source of info saying they don't last as long? Not shilling here, hurts me too...hard to sell something way overpriced.

Pass the gravy.

Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Roll-Tide] #9006980 02/17/24 01:00 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Optima battery for my vechiles!!! Wont consider anything else

Big Beckett!!
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Ramsey] #9006997 02/17/24 01:40 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ramsey

Optima used to make a very good long-lasting battery if you could live with their limited storage capacity. At my battery shop, we used to see a lot of them coming in at 10+ years old. Their QC seems to have suffered greatly in recent years so now they are hit or miss.

Odyssey holds the high high ground for longevity and capacity but they are too expensive for most people.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Marc K] #9006999 02/17/24 01:48 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted by Marc K

Optima used to make a very good long-lasting battery if you could live with their limited storage capacity. At my battery shop, we used to see a lot of them coming in at 10+ years old. Their QC seems to have suffered greatly in recent years so now they are hit or miss.

Odyssey holds the high high ground for longevity and capacity but they are too expensive for most people.

Marc

I usually go Odyssey when my OEMs are shot, at least in my trucks. Wife's German car has some pretty peculiar amperage requirements so we went back with OEM at five years, and also with the first hint of an electrical gremlin.

[Linked Image]
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9007003 02/17/24 01:52 PM
M
MeanGreen85 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

the costco interstate AGM’s dont have the same specs FWIW. Specifically weight.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I’ve only bought the lead acids from there. Usually get 3-4 years out of them with Texas climates, which isn’t great, but it also isn’t terrible given the cost.

Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: kry226] #9007017 02/17/24 02:03 PM
G
Grit Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by kry226

Marc

I usually go Odyssey when my OEMs are shot, at least in my trucks. Wife's German car has some pretty peculiar amperage requirements so we went back with OEM at five years, and also with the first hint of an electrical gremlin.

I'll keep that in mind for my wife's Passat.

Garrett
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Grit] #9007092 02/17/24 03:45 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted by Grit

Marc

Yup, just double-check... you may be able to use the same size LA/AGM that comes out of it and get it from any supplier. With the wife's car, a new battery has to be registered to the car in the car's programming/computer. It has to be within certain parameters for the BMS, so I just let the dealer do it. We were in Korea at the time and the dealer there was generally cheaper than here in the U.S., so that helped too.

[Linked Image]
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: kry226] #9007107 02/17/24 04:06 PM
G
Grit Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Grit

Marc

Yup, just double-check... you may be able to use the same size LA/AGM that comes out of it and get it from any supplier. With the wife's car, a new battery has to be registered to the car in the car's programming/computer. It has to be within certain parameters for the BMS, so I just let the dealer do it. We were in Korea at the time and the dealer there was generally cheaper than here in the U.S., so that helped too.[/quote]

Noted. Thank you!

Garrett
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Roll-Tide] #9007120 02/17/24 04:33 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
For you guys that hate the autostop feature:

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

I installed one in my 2020 Silverado and brother put one in his 2021 Jeep Gladiator. Works great and fairly easy to install. Silverado is a little more complicated than Jeep, but very do-able for the mechanically inclined. Took me leass than 45 minutes.

Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Adchunts] #9007130 02/17/24 04:46 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Adchunts

I installed one in my 2020 Silverado and brother put one in his 2021 Jeep Gladiator. Works great and fairly easy to install. Silverado is a little more complicated than Jeep, but very do-able for the mechanically inclined. Took me leass than 45 minutes.

They can cause intermittent battery drain as well. Just fixed a Silverado last week with a 275 mA drain. ALWAYS defeat the feature on GM vehicles every time you drive if you have the button.

Pass the gravy.

Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: GasGuzzler] #9007183 02/17/24 06:41 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Originally Posted by Adchunts

They can cause intermittent battery drain as well. Just fixed a Silverado last week with a 275 mA drain. ALWAYS defeat the feature on GM vehicles every time you drive if you have the button.

A lot of times you can code the feature to remain off, like with FORScan with Fords, Autel, or other various coding software/tools, E-Sys, Carly, etc.

[Linked Image]
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Roll-Tide] #9007360 02/18/24 01:14 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Sure but the 2019+ computers for GM are expensive to hack. You know, the ones with AutoStop and all the more intrusive "features" ...

Pass the gravy.

Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: GasGuzzler] #9007398 02/18/24 02:26 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Sure but the 2019+ computers for GM are expensive to hack. You know, the ones with AutoStop and all the more intrusive "features" ...

I wouldn't know. Haven't owned an American GM product in 20 years (I did own a Korean 2012 Chevy Spark for a couple of years recently). But I'm also not talking about hacking or changing software. Most of these tools simply enable you to toggle features on or off. I use FORScan on my F350... just plug it into the OBD port, open the program, connect to the truck, and start enabling or disabling the features I want or don't want. Pretty easy and just cost me the price of the adapter.

Did the same on the wife's German car with an app on my phone. Now it defaults to AutoStop "OFF" on start-up. Again, no hacking.

[Linked Image]
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Roll-Tide] #9007415 02/18/24 03:34 AM
J
jcarring99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I own a semi truck and put new batteries in it yesterday. A smooth $1433. Cry me a river about 2 or 300 bucks lol

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Email: joel@carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
Financing options click: https://app.gethearth.com/flyers/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Re: When did car batteries get so expensive? [Re: Roll-Tide] #9007438 02/18/24 05:00 AM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Went to get front window tint redone on my Tundra. Battery went dead from
Doors being open.
I did notice in the cold weather it was harder to start.
Decided to look for a new battery.

They want 250-300 bucks.

Watched the “project farm”guy do a comparison of 6-7 batteries. He rates the Walmart everstart just as good. It’s 135 dollars. So that’s what I will get.

He said half of the US batteries are made by Johnson controls anyway.

Don't get 'just' the Everstart, it needs to be the Everstart MAXX. Yes, the MAXX batteries are good - last 6-7 years for me!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide