Forums46
Topics538,676
Posts9,739,949
Members87,102
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: Hudbone] #8958814 11/20/23 10:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Ten foot pole

You should try the backfire, its a slower fire so dont have reload as quick

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: DQ Kid] #8958819 11/20/23 10:41 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
dont shoot out of vehicles and if you feed corn with them regular...animals get real familiar with vehicles=safe. you can use it to an advantage by dropping people off right at the blinds then driving off rather than trying to have someone walk in and jump everything. Even when its just me ill drive up to the blind make plenty of noise drop everything off then go park and hurry to the blind... they seem to push back a bit then make their way back in without leaving the immediate area.

also hidden water holes or springs can be huge... ill hear of people that say hunting over water sucks but they are hunting a pond out in the middle of a pasture when they got a small hole or spring hidden just inside the woods...

best one out of any of these if you hunt a place with cattle and you have the ability to close off a section of land to plant or feed you will see huge results... i dont care what anyone says deer will avoid cattle if they can

Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: Wytex] #8958827 11/20/23 10:53 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Wytex
Man, you all are slipping. No one mentioned a tampon.

My Dad actually did this when I was a boy and it worked lol.

Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: skinnerback] #8958833 11/20/23 11:01 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Coworker years ago always showed pics of his wife with a big buck she took that season. He said she only hunted during that time of the month the closest one to the rut. Most of her bucks came in from downwind. He just said guess estrus is estrus.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: kmon11] #8958841 11/20/23 11:19 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by kmon11
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Coworker years ago always showed pics of his wife with a big buck she took that season. He said she only hunted during that time of the month the closest one to the rut. Most of her bucks came in from downwind. He just said guess estrus is estrus.

LOL, yep. How my Dad ever convinced my Mom to save them in a Mason jar for him I'll never know. He said he had to beg her over and again and she finally agreed, but only if he promised to never tell anyone where they came from and keep them out of sight from anyone. My Mom was an angel of a woman and doing something like this was just disgusting to her lol.

Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: DQ Kid] #8958882 11/21/23 12:24 AM
L
LakeForkLodge Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Get high when bowhunting. No not that kind of high. 25 plus then the wind generally don't matter when bowhunting. Killed a bunch of good ones on a bad wind.

www.lakeforklodge.com 903-473-7236
Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: DQ Kid] #8958982 11/21/23 01:52 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've also seen guys hang a bucket in their box stand to make it appear someone is sitting inside. While I seriously doubt anyone has any evidence to prove it makes a difference, it's really no different than other stuff hunters buy every year with the belief they'll increase their chances of success.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 11/21/23 02:59 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: Creekrunner] #8958988 11/21/23 01:55 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by pertnear
I had an uncle who hunted out of his favorite ground blind near Hondo. He said that when the wind was wrong for the hunt he'd take an onion along & cut it in half & rub it along the window ledges of the blind. Swore deer never smelled him. I never tried it. confused2

I just might try this. The old boys knew some stuff that has been lost. Never be afraid to learn from your elders. up

'Tried it tonight. 'Wind was high, squirrely, and coming from the wrong direction. I rubbed a half an onion on the window sills and threw it out' the window.

[Linked Image]

Sun set, wind died down, and what the other buck was looking at in the brush and finally hauled arse about came sauntering out. My scent was blowing right at the boy. I owe it all to pertnear's uncle. It works!

[Linked Image]

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: Creekrunner] #8958996 11/21/23 02:05 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Hell yeah! Great deer and nice rifle!

Might have to try the ol' onion trick!

Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: Creekrunner] #8959036 11/21/23 02:37 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by pertnear
I had an uncle who hunted out of his favorite ground blind near Hondo. He said that when the wind was wrong for the hunt he'd take an onion along & cut it in half & rub it along the window ledges of the blind. Swore deer never smelled him. I never tried it. confused2

I just might try this. The old boys knew some stuff that has been lost. Never be afraid to learn from your elders. up

'Tried it tonight. 'Wind was high, squirrely, and coming from the wrong direction. I rubbed a half an onion on the window sills and threw it out' the window.

[Linked Image]

Sun set, wind died down, and what the other buck was looking at in the brush and finally hauled arse about came sauntering out. My scent was blowing right at the boy. I owe it all to pertnear's uncle. It works!

[Linked Image]

This is one result of Intel sharing I could only hope for when starting the thread. Sharing is caring guys....

Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: el Rojo] #8959061 11/21/23 03:01 AM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by el Rojo
Originally Posted by bronco71
Years ago when I had the opportunity to hunt the hill country/canyons around Ozona and Sonora, I would carry a slingshot with me and when working my way up a header walking just below the ridge I would shoot rocks into the bottom to flush out the deer. Shot a lot of deer flushing out the top end and a few nice bucks sneaking out the bottom end.....

I just threw rocks.

Same here

[b][/b]
Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: DQ Kid] #8959063 11/21/23 03:01 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Priceless.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Uncommon Yet Successful Hunting Tactics [Re: Reloder28] #8959078 11/21/23 03:16 AM
B
bronco71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by el Rojo
Originally Posted by bronco71
Years ago when I had the opportunity to hunt the hill country/canyons around Ozona and Sonora, I would carry a slingshot with me and when working my way up a header walking just below the ridge I would shoot rocks into the bottom to flush out the deer. Shot a lot of deer flushing out the top end and a few nice bucks sneaking out the bottom end.....

I just threw rocks.

Same here

I started that way but many canyons were too wide and if you don't throw far enough you could push the deer away from you instead of giving you a shot....

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide