Forums46
Topics538,114
Posts9,733,122
Members87,069
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: Jgraider] #8938029 10/18/23 02:05 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Originally Posted by blkt2
Originally Posted by pertnear
I live on LBJ lake & lawn service seem to be a very lucrative business. You can start up cheap & probably line-up more business than you can stand in a week. Ramp up your business & get more equipment & employees. Eventually just manage crews.

Personally I hate lawn work.

I have 2 clients that own large lawn service companies. Both are millionaires many times over.

In general any type of service company that doesn't require a license or specialized training is the cheapest type of business to start and most of the time you're in the black within a month or two.

You're so FOS your eyes and hair are brown. It's one of the worst businesses to be in for the reasons you describe....no license, anyone and everyone with equipment can do it, cheapest guy wins.

Don't know about that. Have a good family friend that bought an existing book of business plus equipment for pretty cheap...was his early retirement gift to himself. Worked it about 10 years - making a killing each year - and sold the business a year or so ago for an absurd amount. All his clients were in HP and UP - maybe a couple other areas in Dallas. Did more than basic lawncare too.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: Cochise] #8938124 10/18/23 03:32 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Cochise

Don't know about that. Have a good family friend that bought an existing book of business plus equipment for pretty cheap...was his early retirement gift to himself. Worked it about 10 years - making a killing each year - and sold the business a year or so ago for an absurd amount. All his clients were in HP and UP - maybe a couple other areas in Dallas. Did more than basic lawncare too.

Go invest $100k in good equipment and get started then if it's that great. We'll see how that works out for you.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: Jgraider] #8938133 10/18/23 03:45 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I live on LBJ lake & lawn service seem to be a very lucrative business. You can start up cheap & probably line-up more business than you can stand in a week. Ramp up your business & get more equipment & employees. Eventually just manage crews.

I have 2 clients that own large lawn service companies. Both are millionaires many times over.

In general any type of service company that doesn't require a license or specialized training is the cheapest type of business to start and most of the time you're in the black within a month or two.

You're so FOS your eyes and hair are brown. It's one of the worst businesses to be in for the reasons you describe....no license, anyone and everyone with equipment can do it, cheapest guy wins.

Scott Olden who's business is called The Lawn Mogul. He has about 2000 commercial and residential accounts.

Mike Justice and his son TJ who own Just Mowing which nation wide has about 180,000 residential accounts and a handful of big commercial accounts.

These people have been clients for 20+ years.

There is an economy of scale that comes with being a very large company. Good profit margins come along with that. Mike told me that they net a little over 65k per truck per year.

If you feel like paying for it you can read all about Mike's company here.

https://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Richardson/mike-justice/95051399.aspx

Once you put some effort into it and discover that I am telling the truth please don't feel compelled to apologize and please stop reflexively being a jackass about things that I post.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: fishhound] #8938149 10/18/23 04:00 PM
C
Chubbyfarts Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Pizza Pizza Pizza

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: blkt2] #8938178 10/18/23 04:30 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

Scott Olden who's business is called The Lawn Mogul. He has about 2000 commercial and residential accounts.

Mike Justice and his son TJ who own Just Mowing which nation wide has about 180,000 residential accounts and a handful of big commercial accounts.

These people have been clients for 20+ years.

There is an economy of scale that comes with being a very large company. Good profit margins come along with that. Mike told me that they net a little over 65k per truck per year.

If you feel like paying for it you can read all about Mike's company here.

https://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Richardson/mike-justice/95051399.aspx

Once you put some effort into it and discover that I am telling the truth please don't feel compelled to apologize and please stop reflexively being a jackass about things that I post.

popcorn

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: fishhound] #8938241 10/18/23 05:55 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I know a few guys who own large landscaping companies who do well. Sold ranches to a few of them. They make their money on large commercial accounts and landscaping installs for apartments, developments and commercial clients, not residential.

Also know a bunch of guys who do ok. My neighbor is a landscaper who also installs lighting and puts up Christmas lights. He does ok but isn't rolling in money hand over fist.

I don't think anyone can honestly tell someone that a landscaping company is the best road to wealth.

Same thing with venue type places....you have overhead, investment capital/property mortgage, taxes, etc. Also venues have peak times and slow times.

I live close to a major venue area and have never seen one booked 52 weeks out of the year.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: fishhound] #8938247 10/18/23 05:59 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Also, I propose we put an end to saying "makes six-figures" . Big difference between pulling in $100k a year and $950k a year but both are technically six figures.

If we are going to have money and business talks, let's throw some real-world numbers out there. "Making a killing" or "Makes six-figures" isn't indicative of whether or not a business is successful.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: txtrophy85] #8938249 10/18/23 06:04 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I know a few guys who own large landscaping companies who do well. Sold ranches to a few of them. They make their money on large commercial accounts and landscaping installs for apartments, developments and commercial clients, not residential.

Also know a bunch of guys who do ok. My neighbor is a landscaper who also installs lighting and puts up Christmas lights. He does ok but isn't rolling in money hand over fist.

I don't think anyone can honestly tell someone that a landscaping company is the best road to wealth.

There is no one answer to accumulating wealth. I know a guy who owns a large dry cleaner/laundry and I worked on his Ferrari's thirty years ago and today take care of his pool. He has been loaded for 50 years.

Look at what I do. By myself cleaning and fixing pools I bill out 45k to 60k in a normal month. When I count work that I have sub contractors do that jumps by 100k to 140k per month on average but the profit margins a not big when I am not the guy "Turning the wrenches".

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: blkt2] #8938261 10/18/23 06:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

There is no one answer to accumulating wealth. I know a guy who owns a large dry cleaner/laundry and I worked on his Ferrari's thirty years ago and today take care of his pool. He has been loaded for 50 years.

Look at what I do. By myself cleaning and fixing pools I bill out 45k to 60k in a normal month. When I count work that I have sub contractors do that jumps by 100k to 140k per month on average but the profit margins a not big when I am not the guy "Turning the wrenches".

I know guys who own pool companies who do pretty good. Building high end custom pools for both residential and commercial projects.

I am not saying its not possible, but out of that $45,000 a month how much is profit? $540k-$720k a year cleaning pools? Most pool guy around here charge $200/month to clean and maintain pools. Thats 225 customers a month to bill $45k.....thats 7.25 customers a day 7 days a week. Lot of work for 1 guy. Thats assuming you can get 225 customers as well.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: fishhound] #8938269 10/18/23 06:23 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
^^^^ My repeat billing is about 24k per month right now. My cheapest per month pool is $162.38 for an account that I kind of inherited and since the lady lives on social security I don't even cash the checks. My most expensive is $600 per month plus chemicals. My other pools vary from $275 to $350 per month. The rest of it comes from repairs or upgrades. It varies form month to month depending on my expenses but typically I keep about half of what I bill out. For new construction or remodels I keep about 20%.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: fishhound] #8938270 10/18/23 06:25 PM
C
Chubbyfarts Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Re-Open The Timeout

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: blkt2] #8938272 10/18/23 06:26 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
^^^^ My repeat billing is about 24k per month right now. My cheapest per month pool is $162.38 for an account that I kind of inherited and since the lady lives on social security I don't even cash the checks. My most expensive is $600 per month plus chemicals. The rest of it comes from repairs or upgrades. It varies form month to month depending on my expenses but typically I keep about half of what I bill out. For new construction or remodels I keep about 20%.

Well that's a much more accurate representation of what the actual income is. I could bill out $100k a month but if my profit margin is only 6%....that looks a whole lot different.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: fishhound] #8938283 10/18/23 06:44 PM
D
duffas Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Statement in first post says it all. Wants to start but NOT supervise. Worst case of all, never works.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: blkt2] #8938291 10/18/23 06:54 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Everyone has already figured out 99% of what comes out of your mouth is a lie, or at least a very vivid stretch of the imagination, unfortunately for you.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: Jgraider] #8938304 10/18/23 07:17 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Everyone has already figured out 99% of what comes out of your mouth is a lie, or at least a very vivid stretch of the imagination, unfortunately for you.

Have you put in a single second of trying to dig into anything that I have ever said or do you just start running on at the mouth (or keyboard in this instance) without looking into anything?

Some people are just born stupid and stay that way. That I can tolerate and forgive. Wilfully ignorant on the other hand is intolerable and unforgivable.

Instead of typing out "you can't", or "you didn't" take the same amount of time and research something on google before immediately ridiculing me over something that I have posted. If you're going to argue with someone, argue with them with a little knowledge on your side.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: fishhound] #8938335 10/18/23 08:06 PM
TKM Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Probably look at the recruiting business. Haven't used them much in the past but have the last 6 months while adding engineers and programmers to my team.
20% for placement on $100k to $200k salary can add up quick.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: blkt2] #8938354 10/18/23 08:17 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Have you put in a single second of trying to dig into anything that I have ever said or do you just start running on at the mouth (or keyboard in this instance) without looking into anything?

Some people are just born stupid and stay that way. That I can tolerate and forgive. Wilfully ignorant on the other hand is intolerable and unforgivable.

Instead of typing out "you can't", or "you didn't" take the same amount of time and research something on google before immediately ridiculing me over something that I have posted. If you're going to argue with someone, argue with them with a little knowledge on your side.

Some things are so blatantly obvious a complete stooge can see it. This is true in your case.....you're a freaking fraud.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: Jgraider] #8938369 10/18/23 08:33 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Some things are so blatantly obvious a complete stooge can see it. This is true in your case.....you're a freaking fraud.

I see you are choosing the path of "Willful ignorance". Got it, now I know where you are coming from.

Did ever tell yall about the time Victoria Principal aggressively kissed me on the mouth after laughing in my face when I hit on her.?

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: fishhound] #8938380 10/18/23 08:47 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
You sure it wasn't Sue Ellen, Linda Gray? Was Victoria Principal still dating Andy Gibb at the time you kissed her, remember the little brother of the Bee Gees that dated her for like 3 years in the early to early mid 80s? Blkt2, I'm calling BS on this one....

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: DQ Kid] #8938388 10/18/23 08:56 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
You sure it wasn't Sue Ellen, Linda Gray? Was Victoria Principal still dating Andy Gibb at the time you kissed her, remember the little brother of the Bee Gees that dated her for like 3 years in the early to early mid 80s? Blkt2, I'm calling BS on this one....

I'm very sure who it was because I've had a crush on her since I was a little kid. I ran across her at a fund raiser and watched her put down a whole bunch of Vodka sodas and engaged her in a conversation that was going so well that I thought that I had a chance. I put it out there and she laughed in my face and told me that I was too young and then grabbed my head and gave me a big wet kiss on the mouth, and then she walked off.

This was in the 90s and I think she was married.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: fishhound] #8938464 10/18/23 10:47 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
I would take the $200,000 and provide hard money loans to investors at 12% with $200 draw/inspection fee, charge 1% origination at closing. 65% LTV and secured by real estate. Your question is very interesting as far as being able to run without you.

Big Beckett!!
Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: Ramsey] #8938499 10/18/23 11:51 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ramsey
I would take the $200,000 and provide hard money loans to investors at 12% with $200 draw/inspection fee, charge 1% origination at closing. 65% LTV and secured by real estate. Your question is very interesting as far as being able to run without you.

Great concept but hard money loaning is a grimy business. You would also need to use about five times as much money to make it worthwhile although I suspect you might make a good chunk of money on the repossessions when people go into default.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: blkt2] #8938556 10/19/23 12:44 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

I'm very sure who it was because I've had a crush on her since I was a little kid. I ran across her at a fund raiser and watched her put down a whole bunch of Vodka sodas and engaged her in a conversation that was going so well that I thought that I had a chance. I put it out there and she laughed in my face and told me that I was too young and then grabbed my head and gave me a big wet kiss on the mouth, and then she walked off.

You are either the brass ballsiest dude ever or simply delusional, not sure yet what one you are but I enjoy the ride you often take us on.

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: DQ Kid] #8938562 10/19/23 12:50 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

You are either the brass ballsiest dude ever or simply delusional, not sure yet what one you are but I enjoy the ride you often take us on.

https://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/delusions-grandeur

Re: What type of business would you start? [Re: txtrophy85] #8938568 10/19/23 12:58 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Right on txtrophy85. Then there's this.........

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide