Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8932019 10/09/23 03:00 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
I get a chuckle when I read where good shooters are whining about the recoil of a 30-06. When I was born in 1960, it was only 15 years after the end of WW2. I grew up around a lot of those men. The men of that era kicked all comers tails with the .45acp and 30-06. They were still their caliber of choice when they came back home. The era of manly men and their calibers of choice they used to kick the world’s tail is the basis of this discussion. When I compare the rugged men I grew up around to today’s metrosexuals, it is predictable that the 30-06 now makes them whine. Undisputed facts and the basis of this discussion.

I will shoot against them for money. We can play rifle range HORSE.

And I will shoot a .30-06

Said I didn't have much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8932024 10/09/23 03:06 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba
I get a chuckle when I read where good shooters are whining about the recoil of a 30-06. When I was born in 1960, it was only 15 years after the end of WW2. I grew up around a lot of those men. The men of that era kicked all comers tails with the .45acp and 30-06. They were still their caliber of choice when they came back home. The era of manly men and their calibers of choice they used to kick the world’s tail is the basis of this discussion. When I compare the rugged men I grew up around to today’s metrosexuals, it is predictable that the 30-06 now makes them whine. Undisputed facts and the basis of this discussion.

The Garand is a 10 lb rifle, which significantly reduces felt recoil. It was also a semi-auto, which further reduces felt recoil. Pick up a BAR in 30-06, and even though it's lighter than a Garand, it's a soft shooter. Comparing a Garand to a modern, light weight bolt action sporter is apples to oranges.

Heck bubba, I figured you to be old enough to remember bolt action 30-06’s were a rifle of choice back then. The men I grew up around handled a bolt 30-06 without much fuss. They weren’t soft like men today. That was the era of the Winchester model 70 with the Remington 700 riding on the model 70’s coat tail. 30-06 men are what the 270win targeted.

I've tracked Ballinger/Winters TX whitetail shot by a .30-06 at 100 yards.

The man shooting it wanted to give up before the two of us blood trailing his deer. We found it anyway.

I've shot a pile of harder recoiling rifles than the .30-06

Your "tough" is out the window.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932027 10/09/23 03:16 AM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I don’t believe this discussion is at all about target guns or target shooting. I understand this thread to be about the contrast between respect for the kind of men that made the 30-06 iconic and pansies.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 10/09/23 03:18 AM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8932036 10/09/23 03:53 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I don’t believe this discussion is at all about target guns or target shooting. I understand this thread to be about the contrast between respect for the kind of men that made the 30-06 iconic and pansies.

J.G. is a fireman, not exactly a profession for pansies, pretty far from it actually.

fwiw - .30-06 M2 ball ammo in WW2 was a 152 grain bullet running 2800 fps, which is well below today's .308 performance with the same weight bullet.

Re: Are you even a man? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8932046 10/09/23 04:52 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

What made the 06 iconic was the surplus of military firearms and ammunition.

Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932059 10/09/23 07:10 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have two 30'06 rifles, 1965 Winchester Model 70 and a 1965 Sears Ted Williams model 53.

Uncle bought the Model 70 the year I was born from Leonard Brother's in downtown Fort Worth and I found the Ted Williams for sale in Ogden, Utah along with a NIB Model 70 stainless 243 18" Winlite XTR. Bought both in the late 80s, and I don't think I paid more than $500 for the pair.

Now, no self respecting wingshooter's arsenal isn't complete without an Auto-5 and no waterfowl hunter should find himself without a Mag 12 Stalker or 3.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8932094 10/09/23 11:22 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

You know, today's hunting rifles weigh about half as much as yesterday's hunting rifles.

And I shoot other people's hunting rifles on a weekly basis.

And today's .308 Win, was 40+ years ago .30-06

Live in the past if you like. Call people pansies if you like. But you're off base on pretty much everything.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8932158 10/09/23 01:24 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

The Garand is a 10 lb rifle, which significantly reduces felt recoil. It was also a semi-auto, which further reduces felt recoil. Pick up a BAR in 30-06, and even though it's lighter than a Garand, it's a soft shooter. Comparing a Garand to a modern, light weight bolt action sporter is apples to oranges.

Heck bubba, I figured you to be old enough to remember bolt action 30-06’s were a rifle of choice back then. The men I grew up around handled a bolt 30-06 without much fuss. They weren’t soft like men today. That was the era of the Winchester model 70 with the Remington 700 riding on the model 70’s coat tail. 30-06 men are what the 270win targeted.

I am old enough to remember that. Some of the older guys that I still hunt with were the ones that always carried a 30-06. Ironically, most of them have switched to softer shooting guns.

Re: Are you even a man? [Re: unclebubba] #8932213 10/09/23 02:38 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I am old enough to remember that. Some of the older guys that I still hunt with were the ones that always carried a 30-06. Ironically, most of them have switched to softer shooting guns.

The ones I grew up around have all died. 9 of them were family that carried 30-06’s in WW2. All served under Patton. They were part of defeating Rommel in North Africa, taking Sicily. Then fighting their way through Italy and into the mountains of Austria before being shipped to Normandy for D-day. They took partin invading and eventually liberating France. Pushed into Germany and were, according to them, a little over 100 miles from Berlin when the Russians cornered Hitler. There is a Nazi flag in the Smithsonian with the names of a lot GI’s from Patton’s 3rd Armored they all signed. 7 of the 9 had at least one Purple Heart but they all made it back home. They all thought Patton hung the moon. After Patton made the statement “the m-1 Garand chambered in 30-06 was the greatest battle implement devised”, a 30-06 is all any of them wanted. I still have a 30-06 but seldom take it out now days. I still like to shoot it. When I do, it is mostly for nostalgia now days. So yeah, to me the 30-06 is the most iconic of rifle calibers.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 10/09/23 02:39 PM.

Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932214 10/09/23 02:38 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I have a .30-06 and have owned several. I keep it as a general purpose backup/loaner gun. I will likely never hunt with one, not because there is anything wrong with it, but just because there is a better caliber for any job the .30-06 can do. For whitetail,other calibers are just as good with less recoil. For elk or moose, true magnums deliver better performance. At long range, there are many better options. That being said, it is still a great, general purpose round, so I keep one around.

Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932232 10/09/23 03:05 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I've owned several in the past and may own one again in the future if I see one that I take a liking to. My most recent 30-06 underwent "the change" and now identifies as a 25-06. I figured that having a 300 WM, a 7 Rem Mag and several 308's left the 30-06 standing on the outside looking in. I didn't own any quarter bores so that's why I went with the 25-06.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932249 10/09/23 03:30 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Oh boy, looky here, a bunch of guys pounding their chests and making a ruckus while some others point out facts the chest pounders aren't open minded to.
yawn

Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932288 10/09/23 04:55 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I neither have a love or hate affair with the 30-06. But like its reputation it will do damn near everything pretty well. I seem to see many talk of it’s bad recoil, but never really thought it kicked to bad. Some claim the 270 shoots flatter and recoils less I fail to see the big difference on both fronts. Similarly I have shot very few 300 win mags but my very similar 300 wby is a significant step up in recoil and muzzle blast from the old ‘06. I have enjoyed hunting with mine, even my wife has taken several deer with it without issue. In the past year I’ve seen it take from javalina to nilgai with one shot.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932311 10/09/23 05:40 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
It’s like the Dallas Cowboys, it’s had some great glory days, can still kick butt every now and then, and is the number one franchise in the world…but has lost a lot of luster.

Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932327 10/09/23 06:10 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I gotta disagree the 06 still has it, the cowboys suck azz.

Last edited by redchevy; 10/09/23 06:11 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: J.G.] #8932336 10/09/23 06:34 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by J.G.

You know, today's hunting rifles weigh about half as much as yesterday's hunting rifles.

Live in the past if you like. Call people pansies if you like. But you're off base on pretty much everything.

Lol. My generation, and the one before it, and the one before that, all the way back to WW1 disagree with you. Per the OP, this thread is not about the cartridge best suited to shoot for money. Or the best hunting cartridge. The OP asked for the cartridge that best represents mankind. He indicated it is 30-06. I agree with the OP, based on its battlefield history. Others chimed in the .45acp for the same reasons. I stated that I get a chuckle out of the recoil being judged as excessive by some good shooters. That is a recent development that I deem soft. I stand by that comment. None of the calibers you mentioned have a history even close to the 30-06 sir. I believe you to be a skilled long range shooter. I admire the work that goes into that. The big guns you have recently built to push the range envelope are cool as heck. But then when I come back to the caliber that most represents mankind, it brings me back to the caliber American GI’s carried and used to great effect in the two world wars that shaped the world as we know it, which I believe comes closest to what the OP asked about. Call that living in the past if you like but I don’t think you are following what is being discussed. If it is not the 30-06, then what is it?

Re: Are you even a man? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8932365 10/09/23 07:37 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by J.G.

Lol. My generation, and the one before it, and the one before that, all the way back to WW1 disagree with you. Per the OP, this thread is not about the cartridge best suited to shoot for money. Or the best hunting cartridge. The OP asked for the cartridge that best represents mankind. He indicated it is 30-06. I agree with the OP, based on its battlefield history. Others chimed in the .45acp for the same reasons. I stated that I get a chuckle out of the recoil being judged as excessive by some good shooters. That is a recent development that I deem soft. I stand by that comment. None of the calibers you mentioned have a history even close to the 30-06 sir. I believe you to be a skilled long range shooter. I admire the work that goes into that. The big guns you have recently built to push the range envelope are cool as heck. But then when I come back to the caliber that most represents mankind, it brings me back to the caliber American GI’s carried and used to great effect in the two world wars that shaped the world as we know it, which I believe comes closest to what the OP asked about. Call that living in the past if you like but I don’t think you are following what is being discussed. If it is not the 30-06, then what is it?

30-06 is the cartridge of the Greatest Generation! Used through the First and Second World Wars plus Korea. It is an old war horse that also works well in the game fields around the world. Every game animal in the US and most around the world has been cleanly taken with it effectively. At 117 years old it has stood the test of time quite well and will continue to be used for many years to come. I have heard things to the effect of this; 'tough times make for tough men, easy times make for less tough men". I think we can see that generally speaking today we have been in easy times for a long time when you look at the general population.

As i stated earlier in this thread I have never owned a 30-06 but have hunted and killed deer with the old war horse and it does very well for that. The first centerfire rifle i ever shot was a Remington semi auto 30-06 to I think an 11 year old skinny boy that was fun, recoil didn't seem as bad as my old ivory Johnson single shot 20ga that I was hunting deer, squirrels and rabbits with in those days.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932374 10/09/23 07:56 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My first center fire was dads rem 700 mountain rifle I. 280 rem… it had a boat load more bite at sub 7 lbs than any of the 30-06’s I’ve shot.

Maybe the biggest plus I noticed about the ‘06 was during rona etc .308 were among the most available hunting bullets in stock anywhere by a decent margin.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8932455 10/09/23 09:43 PM
DustyArmadillo Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
[/quote]

The ones I grew up around have all died. 9 of them were family that carried 30-06’s in WW2. All served under Patton. They were part of defeating Rommel in North Africa, taking Sicily. Then fighting their way through Italy and into the mountains of Austria before being shipped to Normandy for D-day. They took partin invading and eventually liberating France. Pushed into Germany and were, according to them, a little over 100 miles from Berlin when the Russians cornered Hitler. There is a Nazi flag in the Smithsonian with the names of a lot GI’s from Patton’s 3rd Armored they all signed. 7 of the 9 had at least one Purple Heart but they all made it back home. They all thought Patton hung the moon. After Patton made the statement “the m-1 Garand chambered in 30-06 was the greatest battle implement devised”, a 30-06 is all any of them wanted. I still have a 30-06 but seldom take it out now days. I still like to shoot it. When I do, it is mostly for nostalgia now days. So yeah, to me the 30-06 is the most iconic of rifle calibers.
[/quote]

Big Patton fan here. “Lead me, follow me, or get the hell outta my way”

If someone tells me he shot a deer with his .30-06, at least I know he’s not ghey.
roflmao

Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932463 10/09/23 09:56 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by DustyArmadillo

If someone tells me he shot a deer with his .30-06, at least I know he’s not ghey.
roflmao

Leave that to the 6.5 Gaymoors rofl

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: Judd] #8932475 10/09/23 10:17 PM
DustyArmadillo Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by DustyArmadillo

roflmao

Leave that to the 6.5 Gaymoors rofl

Ha! Must admit I also shoot a 260 ackley which is dangerously close in size to the man bun gaymoore. roflmao

Joking aside, it’s a great round for targets, shot a couple deer with it but never owned one.

Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932546 10/10/23 12:37 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Dad always shot a 3006. He shot this buck in 71 with a M70 3006. He died in 72. He was a man.
I inherited that rifle in 72 and it’s the only rifle I’ve ever killed a deer with.
I hope I’m half the man he was.
[Linked Image]

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932631 10/10/23 02:29 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Great photo freerange

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Are you even a man? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8932656 10/10/23 02:53 AM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
700 BDL 30.06 very good and accurate, that is why I like it. Could say the same for the 243 but for some reason the 30.06 is my go-to.

Re: Are you even a man? [Re: freerange] #8932675 10/10/23 03:25 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by freerange
Dad always shot a 3006. He shot this buck in 71 with a M70 3006. He died in 72. He was a man.
I inherited that rifle in 72 and it’s the only rifle I’ve ever killed a deer with.
I hope I’m half the man he was.
[Linked Image]

Love this. Good stuff.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide