Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Matching your cold bore shot #8860257 05/30/23 02:43 PM
DustyArmadillo Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
Wondering if anyone has a secret to getting your cold bore shot to match the rest of your shots.

Am I chasing a unicorn?

Is my SD/ES the too high? Seating depth?

Fairly new to reloading and also a mild perfectionist.

Looking for a half minute including the cold bore shot.

Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860288 05/30/23 03:30 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
What rifle? Set up?

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860291 05/30/23 03:37 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Your cold bore shot will always be a little off in my opinion. Fortunately it will almost always be consistent. The thing to do is learn where it hits in reference to your other shots and compensate for that on the cold bore shot. Basically aim that amount opposite of where it generally hits. Obviously this takes time behind the gun and a system that will show you a difference to start with.

Hopefully there is more insight incoming because I would like a better answer than mine.

Maybe run a dry patch through it immediately before shooting to remove any humidity build up??…. Idk

Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: ChadTRG42] #8860319 05/30/23 04:27 PM
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
What rifle? Set up?

Remington 700 in 260 AI

Rifle shoots great but trying to get tightest group possible

4350 with 142 SMKs, federal 210M primers

Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860326 05/30/23 04:34 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
How much are we talking? Is your cold bore always on a clean bore or are you keeping the gun fouled?

Not all will cold bore in a different location...most of mine after fouled won't be different, I've got one that even fouling won't matter but the clean bore shot is slower. I'm having a hard time thinking of one that is different. If it was different, I'd sight in for the cold bore...odds are higher I won't take but one shot versus 2 and 3 just means things have gotten western and not in a good way. grin

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: Judd] #8860330 05/30/23 04:44 PM
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
Originally Posted by Judd
How much are we talking? Is your cold bore always on a clean bore or are you keeping the gun fouled?

it's not much at all, gun will shoot 1 minute all day with the cold bore shot included. Yes I keep the fouling in there.

Lately I've subscribed to the "don't clean the gun until it starts throwing shots" school of thought.

Is that bogus? who knows.

Really just OCD about the bore brush touching the crown

Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860335 05/30/23 04:57 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Are you shooting suppressed? Shooting off a bipod or sandbag? Rifle bedded? How much POI shift are you seeing from your group?

We've discussed this in detail. We've even had shooters in a class say they have a first round POI shift. Some did, but for most it's a set up variation when they get in behind the rifle. Some shooters take one round to settle in. If you get in behind the rifle with a good natural point of aim and your first shot is the same as shots 2 through whatever, you should see no shift. Yes, there are some variables with the rifle that can cause a shift. But what I've seen had a lot to do with the shooter themselves.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: ChadTRG42] #8860351 05/30/23 05:27 PM
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
Are you shooting suppressed? Shooting off a bipod or sandbag? Rifle bedded? How much POI shift are you seeing from your group?

We've discussed this in detail. We've even had shooters in a class say they have a first round POI shift. Some did, but for most it's a set up variation when they get in behind the rifle. Some shooters take one round to settle in. If you get in behind the rifle with a good natural point of aim and your first shot is the same as shots 2 through whatever, you should see no shift. Yes, there are some variables with the rifle that can cause a shift. But what I've seen had a lot to do with the shooter themselves.

That's a fair point...

Could be cold shooter instead of cold bore.

Yes had the rifle bedded, blueprinted, and (almost) always shooting suppressed. Also shooting off two bags.

POI shift is always under a minute.

After that it will shoot a clover leaf.

Last edited by DustyArmadillo; 05/30/23 05:29 PM.
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860362 05/30/23 05:43 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DustyArmadillo

That's a fair point...

Could be cold shooter instead of cold bore.

Yes had the rifle bedded, blueprinted, and (almost) always shooting suppressed. Also shooting off two bags.

POI shift is always under a minute.

After that it will shoot a clover leaf.

As Chad said, cold shooter can be the problem. I shoot rifles most days every week. And most of the time they belong to someone else. For myself, and my recommendation to everyone else is get settled, adjust the scope, close the bolt with no round in the chamber, exhale, squeeze. Dry fire 3 times before checking 100 yard zero. You're programming your breathing and your trigger back into line before a live round. It costs no money, but will pay dividends to your results.

And, it is not uncommon for suppressors to create a POI shift from first round, to the rest of them. The theory is they are full of air, which is an oxidizer. After that first shot, the ambient air is gone.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860367 05/30/23 05:49 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I'm with Chad...if you've eliminated the shooter, change something. Obviously, the easiest thing to change is the primer...this might require you to tweak the powder charge but it should tell you if it's the load combination. Only change one thing at a time so then you'll know what happened.

Also, for a hunting rifle...I'd likely not change anything and deal with it, especially if it clover leafs and the initial shot is as close as you're saying.

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860443 05/30/23 08:14 PM
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
Solid advice here.

Thank you gentlemen!

Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860488 05/30/23 09:58 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Wondering if anyone has a secret to getting your cold bore shot to match the rest of your shots.

Am I chasing a unicorn?

Not at all. But a useful discussion of the topic would be futile here.

Several good discussions of the topic available Here

Last edited by Texas Dan; 05/30/23 10:25 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860499 05/30/23 10:32 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Dan I’m not sure why you’re wasting your time on this forum if we’re clearly all idiots.

I may very well be wrong on this subject since shooters with far more experience than me disagree, but where exactly do you come in?

Guess where you are?

[Linked Image]

Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860523 05/30/23 11:38 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
IME the higher quality the barrel, the less the cold bore/warm bore zero deviates.

Something like a Bartlein will have less deviation than a factory Remington barrel.

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: Texas Dan] #8860557 05/31/23 12:45 AM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Am I chasing a unicorn?

Interesting: The majority of the people on your link agree with the 3-4 most knowledgeable people on this thread.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860579 05/31/23 01:27 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I like the dry fire practice it has helped me I feel like quite a bit.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: P_102] #8860585 05/31/23 01:42 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by P_102

Am I chasing a unicorn?

Interesting: The majority of the people on your link agree with the 3-4 most knowledgeable people on this thread.

It’s almost the exact same thread from beginning to end rofl

roflmao @ wp graph…at least it’s not a YouTube link, he’s graduated to the Hide. Be careful over there TCD, you think we’re hard on ya…those guys will rip your head off and [censored] down your throat bolt

Then laugh about it.

Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860597 05/31/23 02:05 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
just me but if your cold bore shot is over 500 yards might make a difference?

I've seen too many cold bore 500-yard shots which would kill any game animal. These were fired by Great guns by great shooters who know their guns and Dope. Most of the cold bore shots are not more than 3" off center hold.

I think your dope is much more important than any cold bore shot.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: Judd] #8860612 05/31/23 02:31 AM
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker

Also, for a hunting rifle...I'd likely not change anything and deal with it, especially if it clover leafs and the initial shot is as close as you're saying.

Agreed. It was more a question of ‘can it be done?’ as opposed to actually needing it for anything.

Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: Buzzsaw] #8860645 05/31/23 04:26 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
just me but if your cold bore shot is over 500 yards might make a difference?

I've seen too many cold bore 500-yard shots which would kill any game animal. These were fired by Great guns by great shooters who know their guns and Dope. Most of the cold bore shots are not more than 3" off center hold.

I think your dope is much more important than any cold bore shot.

.2 Mil is .2 Mil. 1/2 MOA is 1/2 MOA

A miss is a miss, no matter the distance.

If your zero isn't solid, there's no since in worry about any DOPE. You don't get DOPE until you have a zero.

Hold your breath for two minutes.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860648 05/31/23 04:42 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I always see a slight shift no more than a 1/10 of a mil shooting suppressed. It’s most apparent in my gas guns. No matter how much I tune the gas system it’s a boring consistent result. This usually doesn’t impact my overall goal making hits on steel. I would argue this is why BR and F class guys don’t run cans like the prs guys. I attribute this phenomenon to rate or velocity of the expanding gases, displacement of ambient gases, and the pressure curve of specific loads. No empirical evidence but what I recall from physics and dynamics in college leads me to believe there is some accuracy in my presumption.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860696 05/31/23 11:43 AM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
This is a good thread Dusty. I hope it keeps going.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8860701 05/31/23 11:52 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Thicker barrel and waiting several minutes between shots have been the two most significant factors after good load development in minimizing cold bore POI shift for me.

Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: Judd] #8860702 05/31/23 11:53 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by P_102

Am I chasing a unicorn?

It’s almost the exact same thread from beginning to end rofl

roflmao @ wp graph…at least it’s not a YouTube link, he’s graduated to the Hide. Be careful over there TCD, you think we’re hard on ya…those guys will rip your head off and [censored] down your throat bolt

Then laugh about it.

I wish Dan would go post on the Hide. I will go watch with popcorn

Chewed up, spit out, and banned probably in one day.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Matching your cold bore shot [Re: wp75169] #8860717 05/31/23 12:36 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by wp75169
Dan I’m not sure why you’re wasting your time on this forum if we’re clearly all idiots.

I may very well be wrong on this subject since shooters with far more experience than me disagree, but where exactly do you come in?

Guess where you are?

[Linked Image]

You've got Trashcan Dan pegged.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide