Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,604
Posts9,739,103
Members87,098
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? #8813252 03/06/23 02:52 PM
DustyArmadillo Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
Last time I got raked over the coals.

Looking for a less painful alternative.

If anyone knows a better way to do it, I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Nick

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8813254 03/06/23 02:53 PM
Tbar Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Call your bank and they can get it ready same day or next day.

Make America Great Again

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8813274 03/06/23 03:23 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Airport? May not be the best price but convenient.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: Tbar] #8813322 03/06/23 04:24 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Tbar

This. Your bank will get you the best available rate.

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8813334 03/06/23 04:33 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Here or in England?

I usually just go to an ATM in the country. But if ATM problems always be sure to have some US dollars to exchange on arrival.

Like also mentioned, you can go to your bank but if you work out the total using the current exchange rate, it's not that great of a deal either. However, the difference is just a few $s and often not worth my time.

I've got various individual ziplock bags from countries with pocket money to grab for a trip. Since I mainly use a credit card, if I need to get some cash in a country, I usually just get from an ATM.

To be determined
Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8813340 03/06/23 04:40 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Here or in England?

I usually just go to an ATM in the country. But if ATM problems always be sure to have some US dollars to exchange on arrival.

Like also mentioned, you can go to your bank but if you work out the total using the current exchange rate, it's not that great of a deal either. However, the difference is just a few $s and often not worth my time.

I've got various individual ziplock bags from countries with pocket money to grab for a trip. Since I mainly use a credit card, if I need to get some cash in a country, I usually just get from an ATM.

Do you use a Charles Schwabb Debit Card?

All fees are from ATM are rebated

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8813343 03/06/23 04:41 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I'm with Turkey Hunter, ATM in country, is usually the cheapest.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: RedRanger] #8813363 03/06/23 04:55 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Here or in England?

Do you use a Charles Schwabb Debit Card?

All fees are from ATM are rebated

I put them on expense report as well as any credit card charges.

To be determined
Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8813481 03/06/23 07:21 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Most ATM/Debit cards are on a network, my Cirrus Network card transactions in Italy, were free.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8813489 03/06/23 07:30 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Here or in England?

Same here. Just use an in country ATM. And then try to spend it all locally rather than exchange at airport on the return.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: SherpaPhil] #8813498 03/06/23 07:45 PM
J
JESmith Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
Originally Posted by Tbar

This. Your bank will get you the best available rate.

No they won't. Banks don't want to handle foreign currency and will charge you a premium for the service. ATM in foreign country or just use your card.

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8813914 03/07/23 02:09 PM
D
Daddybigbuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
We don't have experience with pounds but have recent experience with euros. Look up the exchange rate before you go so that you will know if you are getting screwed or not when you have to make an exchange. It changes all the time, but you can get a good idea. Also ask about any fees to do the exchange.

I would check with my bank before leaving. We did not, but I understand that it takes a few weeks to get the euros.

We just got back from a trip to Italy, Austria, and Germany and I found the airport to be the worst place to do the exchange.

In Rome the Hotel we stayed at would exchange US dollars for Euros at the front desk. There were many places around the city that would exchange dollars for Euros, but again I would ask about the exchange rate and fees before I did the transaction.

In Milan, Italy, we found a bank that would exchange based on the current exchange rate with no fees.

In Munich and Austria, we did not see many places to do exchanges.

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: Daddybigbuck] #8813922 03/07/23 02:17 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Daddybigbuck
We don't have experience with pounds but have recent experience with euros. Look up the exchange rate before you go so that you will know if you are getting screwed or not when you have to make an exchange. It changes all the time, but you can get a good idea. Also ask about any fees to do the exchange.

I would check with my bank before leaving. We did not, but I understand that it takes a few weeks to get the euros.

We just got back from a trip to Italy, Austria, and Germany and I found the airport to be the worst place to do the exchange.

In Rome the Hotel we stayed at would exchange US dollars for Euros at the front desk. There were many places around the city that would exchange dollars for Euros, but again I would ask about the exchange rate and fees before I did the transaction.

In Milan, Italy, we found a bank that would exchange based on the current exchange rate with no fees.

In Munich and Austria, we did not see many places to do exchanges.

Never dealt with euros

When I travel I have found some International airports give great rates, Manila Philippines and can handle large transactions and have great exchange rates

I always go to black market money exchangers hopefully in muslims area for highest returns on dollars

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8813958 03/07/23 02:58 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Just use your debt card. You bank can and does negotiate the best exchange rate for themselves and that trickles down to you.

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8814036 03/07/23 05:40 PM
P
Phlash Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I've always had the hotel desk clerk do the money conversion, then when I check out, I reverse the exchange. None of the hotels have ever charged me to make the exchange.

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8814039 03/07/23 05:46 PM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Asian lady goes to exchange some yen and gets a lower amount than the previous week…

Lady: “Why so rittle?”
Agent. “ Fluxuations.”
Lady: “Well fluck you Amelicans too!”

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: nsmike] #8814045 03/07/23 06:02 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by nsmike
I'm with Turkey Hunter, ATM in country, is usually the cheapest.

X3

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: Phlash] #8814095 03/07/23 07:30 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Phlash
I've always had the hotel desk clerk do the money conversion, then when I check out, I reverse the exchange. None of the hotels have ever charged me to make the exchange.

The charge or fee usually occurs in a poor exchange rate.

To be determined
Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8814121 03/07/23 08:07 PM
J
JESmith Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
When I get into the country, I always just go to a bank ATM and get a few hundred $$ of local currency. The rest of the time, I just use a credit card with NO foreign transaction fees.

Also when you use a credit card, It will sometimes ask you if you want the charge in local currency or US dollars. Always pick local currency or they will charge you an exorbitant exchange rate on the spot.

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8814160 03/07/23 08:52 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
If using your CC, let your CC company know that you're traveling abroad so they don't suspect CC fraud and temporarily lock your card.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8814173 03/07/23 09:00 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
If using your CC, let your CC company know that you're traveling abroad so they don't suspect CC fraud and temporarily lock your card.

up

About half of them now tell me that is now no longer needed

But I always do regardless and ask them to make note even if they say it's not needed.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide