Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds?

Posted By: DustyArmadillo

Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/06/23 02:52 PM

Last time I got raked over the coals.

Looking for a less painful alternative.

If anyone knows a better way to do it, I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Nick
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/06/23 02:53 PM

Call your bank and they can get it ready same day or next day.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/06/23 03:23 PM

Airport? May not be the best price but convenient.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/06/23 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar

This. Your bank will get you the best available rate.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/06/23 04:33 PM

Here or in England?

I usually just go to an ATM in the country. But if ATM problems always be sure to have some US dollars to exchange on arrival.

Like also mentioned, you can go to your bank but if you work out the total using the current exchange rate, it's not that great of a deal either. However, the difference is just a few $s and often not worth my time.

I've got various individual ziplock bags from countries with pocket money to grab for a trip. Since I mainly use a credit card, if I need to get some cash in a country, I usually just get from an ATM.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/06/23 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Here or in England?

I usually just go to an ATM in the country. But if ATM problems always be sure to have some US dollars to exchange on arrival.

Like also mentioned, you can go to your bank but if you work out the total using the current exchange rate, it's not that great of a deal either. However, the difference is just a few $s and often not worth my time.

I've got various individual ziplock bags from countries with pocket money to grab for a trip. Since I mainly use a credit card, if I need to get some cash in a country, I usually just get from an ATM.

Do you use a Charles Schwabb Debit Card?

All fees are from ATM are rebated
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/06/23 04:41 PM

I'm with Turkey Hunter, ATM in country, is usually the cheapest.

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/06/23 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Here or in England?

Do you use a Charles Schwabb Debit Card?

All fees are from ATM are rebated

I put them on expense report as well as any credit card charges.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/06/23 07:21 PM

Most ATM/Debit cards are on a network, my Cirrus Network card transactions in Italy, were free.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/06/23 07:30 PM

Here or in England?

Same here. Just use an in country ATM. And then try to spend it all locally rather than exchange at airport on the return.
Posted By: JESmith

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/06/23 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
Originally Posted by Tbar

This. Your bank will get you the best available rate.

No they won't. Banks don't want to handle foreign currency and will charge you a premium for the service. ATM in foreign country or just use your card.
Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/07/23 02:09 PM

We don't have experience with pounds but have recent experience with euros. Look up the exchange rate before you go so that you will know if you are getting screwed or not when you have to make an exchange. It changes all the time, but you can get a good idea. Also ask about any fees to do the exchange.

I would check with my bank before leaving. We did not, but I understand that it takes a few weeks to get the euros.

We just got back from a trip to Italy, Austria, and Germany and I found the airport to be the worst place to do the exchange.

In Rome the Hotel we stayed at would exchange US dollars for Euros at the front desk. There were many places around the city that would exchange dollars for Euros, but again I would ask about the exchange rate and fees before I did the transaction.

In Milan, Italy, we found a bank that would exchange based on the current exchange rate with no fees.

In Munich and Austria, we did not see many places to do exchanges.

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/07/23 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Daddybigbuck
We don't have experience with pounds but have recent experience with euros. Look up the exchange rate before you go so that you will know if you are getting screwed or not when you have to make an exchange. It changes all the time, but you can get a good idea. Also ask about any fees to do the exchange.

I would check with my bank before leaving. We did not, but I understand that it takes a few weeks to get the euros.

We just got back from a trip to Italy, Austria, and Germany and I found the airport to be the worst place to do the exchange.

In Rome the Hotel we stayed at would exchange US dollars for Euros at the front desk. There were many places around the city that would exchange dollars for Euros, but again I would ask about the exchange rate and fees before I did the transaction.

In Milan, Italy, we found a bank that would exchange based on the current exchange rate with no fees.

In Munich and Austria, we did not see many places to do exchanges.

Never dealt with euros

When I travel I have found some International airports give great rates, Manila Philippines and can handle large transactions and have great exchange rates

I always go to black market money exchangers hopefully in muslims area for highest returns on dollars
Posted By: blkt2

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/07/23 02:58 PM

Just use your debt card. You bank can and does negotiate the best exchange rate for themselves and that trickles down to you.
Posted By: Phlash

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/07/23 05:40 PM

I've always had the hotel desk clerk do the money conversion, then when I check out, I reverse the exchange. None of the hotels have ever charged me to make the exchange.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/07/23 05:46 PM

Asian lady goes to exchange some yen and gets a lower amount than the previous week…

Lady: “Why so rittle?”
Agent. “ Fluxuations.”
Lady: “Well fluck you Amelicans too!”
Posted By: Erny

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/07/23 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by nsmike
I'm with Turkey Hunter, ATM in country, is usually the cheapest.

X3

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/07/23 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Phlash
I've always had the hotel desk clerk do the money conversion, then when I check out, I reverse the exchange. None of the hotels have ever charged me to make the exchange.

The charge or fee usually occurs in a poor exchange rate.
Posted By: JESmith

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/07/23 08:07 PM

When I get into the country, I always just go to a bank ATM and get a few hundred $$ of local currency. The rest of the time, I just use a credit card with NO foreign transaction fees.

Also when you use a credit card, It will sometimes ask you if you want the charge in local currency or US dollars. Always pick local currency or they will charge you an exorbitant exchange rate on the spot.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/07/23 08:52 PM

If using your CC, let your CC company know that you're traveling abroad so they don't suspect CC fraud and temporarily lock your card.

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to exchange USD for British pounds? - 03/07/23 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
If using your CC, let your CC company know that you're traveling abroad so they don't suspect CC fraud and temporarily lock your card.

up

About half of them now tell me that is now no longer needed

But I always do regardless and ask them to make note even if they say it's not needed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum