Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: mikei] #8523551 02/05/22 07:19 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Anyone know of a good way to mount one of these on an SKS?

Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: patriot07] #8523624 02/05/22 01:10 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by patriot07

I don't know, but I bet that Jason at Outdoor Legacy can help you out. Give him a call.

Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: mikei] #8526186 02/08/22 12:03 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by mikei

I don't know, but I bet that Jason at Outdoor Legacy can help you out. Give him a call.

Left name and number yesterday morning for a call back but no return call so far. We'll see...

Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: patriot07] #8526213 02/08/22 12:58 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by mikei

Left name and number yesterday morning for a call back but no return call so far. We'll see...

That surprises me; he's always been Johnny (or Jason) on the spot when I've asked him for guidance on any night vision issues. Keep us informed on what you find out and when you find out.

Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: mikei] #8526748 02/08/22 10:53 PM
B
BigDad Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
I can't imagine putting large heavy Wraith on a SKS but I'm sure you can as it just mounts to a picatinny rail. They make SKS Dust Cover with picatinny rails on them. I never liked this setup as they can wobble and there may be a better solution that I'm not aware of. The Wraith is setup for high MSR mounts and a cheek riser may be necessary for cheek weld on a SKS. Also the very short eye relief is an issue with the Wraith on some non-AR platforms, I had to use a mount extension Sightmark makes to get the correct eye relief on my bolt action, see the photo. Not sure if the SKS would require that or not.

[Linked Image]

Joe
Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: mikei] #8533156 02/16/22 11:19 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I ordered the 2x-16x Wraith today. This will be my first time with night optics. I’m looking forward to trying it!

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: BigDad] #8533564 02/17/22 11:31 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by BigDad
I can't imagine putting large heavy Wraith on a SKS but I'm sure you can as it just mounts to a picatinny rail. They make SKS Dust Cover with picatinny rails on them. I never liked this setup as they can wobble and there may be a better solution that I'm not aware of. The Wraith is setup for high MSR mounts and a cheek riser may be necessary for cheek weld on a SKS. Also the very short eye relief is an issue with the Wraith on some non-AR platforms, I had to use a mount extension Sightmark makes to get the correct eye relief on my bolt action, see the photo. Not sure if the SKS would require that or not.

[Linked Image]

Thanks

Why is eye relief so short? Just so folks can stick it at the very back of their AR rail?

Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: patriot07] #8533702 02/17/22 02:49 PM
B
BigDad Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Why is eye relief so short? Just so folks can stick it at the very back of their AR rail?

These scopes are setup for the AR15-10 platform, generally the scope rail is further back on those than a bolt action. When I put the Wraith on my AR-10 it put it as far back on the rail as I can and I still have to reduce my stock length a couple clicks to get the correct eye relief. Also the Wraith is really just a camera and has a screen instead of a optic like a traditional scope. In order to see the full screen your eye has to be pretty close to it. The rubber light shield blocks some of the screen if your eye is too far back. The light shield can be removed giving a little more eye relief. I like to leave it on because it does reduce screen glare and it also acts a buffer in case recoil causes the scope to hit me in the head, LOL.

Joe
Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: BigDad] #8534516 02/18/22 12:59 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P

These scopes are setup for the AR15-10 platform, generally the scope rail is further back on those than a bolt action. When I put the Wraith on my AR-10 it put it as far back on the rail as I can and I still have to reduce my stock length a couple clicks to get the correct eye relief. Also the Wraith is really just a camera and has a screen instead of a optic like a traditional scope. In order to see the full screen your eye has to be pretty close to it. The rubber light shield blocks some of the screen if your eye is too far back. The light shield can be removed giving a little more eye relief. I like to leave it on because it does reduce screen glare and it also acts a buffer in case recoil causes the scope to hit me in the head, LOL.

Are there any other affordable scopes that don't have all these issues?

Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: mikei] #8536046 02/20/22 01:32 PM
B
BigDad Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
I think the Wraith is the best option out there in the price range. I really like mine just pointing out some of the challenges. I'm excited about the new Mini.

Joe
Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: patriot07] #8537697 02/22/22 02:40 AM
S
Speedtrucker Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S

I don’t think they are issues, they are basically limitations of a digital scope in general. Unless you bump up to one that has true WiFi streaming. You have to be close enough to see into a little monitor, the rubber cup helps with nighttime viewing.

The rail mount system by default is pretty basic, there are plenty of options like the one listed below to remedy your needs. For me personally I have it mounted on the last rails and that is perfect for me. My biggest “dangit I forgot” issue is focusing when shooting hogs at different distances. Like it’s clear enough to me but when I go back and watch I think “damnit I really shoulda focused it so it’d be much clearer.” It’s not an issue just another thing you gotta remember when dealing with digital scopes

Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: Speedtrucker] #8537779 02/22/22 03:54 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Speedtrucker

I don’t think they are issues, they are basically limitations of a digital scope in general. Unless you bump up to one that has true WiFi streaming. You have to be close enough to see into a little monitor, the rubber cup helps with nighttime viewing.

The rail mount system by default is pretty basic, there are plenty of options like the one listed below to remedy your needs. For me personally I have it mounted on the last rails and that is perfect for me. My biggest “dangit I forgot” issue is focusing when shooting hogs at different distances. Like it’s clear enough to me but when I go back and watch I think “damnit I really shoulda focused it so it’d be much clearer.” It’s not an issue just another thing you gotta remember when dealing with digital scopes

I should have been more specific - is there anything that doesn't have the eye relief issue? That will make SKS mounting very difficult I believe

Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: mikei] #8537831 02/22/22 05:18 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I should have been more specific - is there anything that doesn't have the eye relief issue? That will make SKS mounting very difficult I believe

All magnified optics have an eye relief issue if you have to look into a tube, but to get more to your point, there isn't a budget-priced, magnified scout NV scope type of option unless you want to go with an external display that would give you a pseudo reflex sight.

The Oneleaf Commander NV100 is a budget digital clip-on that attaches to the back of a daylight scope. It does have the option of shrinking the display image so as to allow you to back off of the eye cup and have more eye relief, but then you are dealing with a smaller image as well.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: mikei] #8540658 02/25/22 02:03 AM
T
Timn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
So should a person get the HD 2-16 X 28 or the hd 4-32-50 they are the same price.

Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: mikei] #8540783 02/25/22 04:38 AM
JimBridger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I have 2 of the HD 4x32x50’s that I’m totally satisfied with. They are mounted on AR platform rifles. I purchased the Sightmark extended mount and have plenty of room to adjust for proper eye relief.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: mikei] #8540799 02/25/22 05:09 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Dumb question - are these used for daylight sights too? I have an AR that I could stick this on fairly painlessly

Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: patriot07] #8540891 02/25/22 01:33 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Dumb question - are these used for daylight sights too? I have an AR that I could stick this on fairly painlessly

Yes.
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...305/sightmark-wraith-2-16x28#Post7962305

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: Timn] #8541278 02/25/22 09:02 PM
B
BigDad Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Timn
So should a person get the HD 2-16 X 28 or the hd 4-32-50 they are the same price.

Depends on how you hunt. If you hunt from a stand and take longer shots the HD 4-32x50 works well. If you hunt closer range the HD 2-16x28 is a better fit. I will say that the HD 4-32x50 field of view is pretty small even on 4x. To me, it seems more like a 8X, in fact the field of view on my regular optics set on 8X is about the same or even larger than the HD 4-32x50 is on 4X.

I would take hard look at the Wraith 4K Mini. I have not used one yet. The HDs are big and heavy and the Mini is much more compact and lighter and is 4K. Of course is costs $300 more but may be worth it.

Joe
Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: mikei] #8542249 02/26/22 08:13 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
After seeing the mini. I want one now.

GO TRUMP!
Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: Bigfoot] #8557736 03/16/22 05:28 PM
B
BigDad Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
After seeing the mini. I want one now.

I noticed the price on Sightmark's web sight for the Mini increased from $799 to $959 so I decided to pre-order one from Outdoor Legacy Gear while the price is still $799. Only problem is it won't arrive until December or later. eek

Joe
Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: mikei] #8558103 03/17/22 03:25 AM
D
DWADR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I’m glad you like it, I just bought one the other day.

[Linked Image]
Deep Water Decoy Retriever
Re: The amazing Wraith! [Re: Double J Lacys] #8558111 03/17/22 03:43 AM
D
DWADR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I bought the Wraith because it rated at the top of the NV scopes for beginners. Very easy to use supposedly hence I have not even taken it out of the box yet!

[Linked Image]
Deep Water Decoy Retriever
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide