Forums46
Topics538,092
Posts9,732,892
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8308191 06/29/21 09:54 PM
O
outnumbered Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
look at kitlender.com they have good packages where you can rent or buy and they will ship straight to resort if you choose and every time we have done it its all been brand new and easy to deal with

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8308198 06/29/21 10:04 PM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Blasphemy that not one veteran skier has mentioned the number one necessity, a FLASK.

Also, get moisture wicking long underwear. You can thank me later.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8308220 06/29/21 10:31 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
And chapstick!

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #8308245 06/29/21 10:58 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
And chapstick!

Yep. Lips get very dry.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8308261 06/29/21 11:24 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Polypropylene long johns to wick off the moisture, or silk ones if you want to make a fashion statement. Same with glove liners, and buy good ski gloves.

You can rent just about everything except for broken bones, those are self inflicted. Good places to find used stuff is at major cities Goodwill, Salvation Army and other non profit resale stores. This is not the places to buy skis and poles, rent them on location. Make reservations for the rental stuff.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8308266 06/29/21 11:29 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
We are going skiing for Christmas...... not my choice. What ski gear is essential for a first-time skier I probably won't ever do it again so I'm not looking to go overboard. I will also need to know what can be rented. Thanks.

These are things to for sure rent:
* Skis
* Ski Polls
* Boots
* Helmet

Optional, check with Ski Shop in Vail, you may want to rent.
* Ski Bibs and jacket. You can rent this, but I would just buy, it will last forever, never know when you want to use it. Get cheap black bibs, you can get for like $60. Columbia jacket I got for my son last year, can't remember how much. $150? Get a jacket where the inside (coat) zips in and out, so on warm days, you can just wear the shell.
* Gloves - If they rent nice ones, go that route. I bought cheap gloves for my kids, ended up buying nice ones. Cheap gloves are terrible, and it sucks when your hands get cold. And it will be cold in Dec. My gloves I have had for 20 years, they have duck tape on them, which means I'm a real ski bum.
* Goggles - This is personal preference, but I like to wear my shades if it is not snowing, which are prescription. The lenses are awesome, I got dark and yellow for overcast. If snowing, I got goggles with yellow lenses, and clear insert prescription. Do you wear prescription glasses? I would not worry about goggles until you need them, watch the weather. If you see it is going to be snowing the next day, get some goggles at the Vail ski shop.

Things to buy:
* Ski socks. You want thin socks, buy these at the ski shop, go cheap and thin. You do not want thick socks. One pair will do.
* Boots with rubber sole. These can be like hiking boots, you want something over the ankle if you walk in snow. Don't wear cowboy boots and leather soles, you slip and hit your [censored]... roflmao
* Get a buff
* Long underwear...
* Small back pack. Optional, but I never ski without one. Just love throwing small stuff in there, water bottles..you may want to shed a layer of clothing and put in there. You gotta learn to get on and off the lift with them, but a must for me.

Over all, I say don't worry too much about what to buy before you get there, they sell every thing you need there. You may pay a little more at the ski shop in the resort, but they sell good gear.

Also, take lessons for sure. Don't try and wing it. I would take a morning lesson every day, then afternoon ski on your own and work on what your instructor told you. If you do this, chance of injury is very low. If you are aggressive type and in shape, do a private lesson. It will move at your pace. Group lesson will go slower, but if you are the social type, they can be a lot of fun, and it is cheaper, and probably a lot of Texans.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #8308278 06/29/21 11:51 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
And chapstick!

Yep. Carmex is a favorite for most. I like blistex medicated, the best!

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: Big_Ag] #8308286 06/29/21 11:58 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Big_Ag
Blasphemy that not one veteran skier has mentioned the number one necessity, a FLASK.

I have had mixed experiences drinking and skiing. Some times it felt great, and other times it really dragged me down. I would recommend not drinking and sking. Nothing better than sking hard all day, crushing some beers after a good day on the hill..

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: Gringo Bling] #8308331 06/30/21 12:33 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Obviously some guys don't care at all about appearance, but just don't be the guy wearing starched Wrangler's and a camo hunting jacket.

Fashion advice coming from some guy who goes by Gringo Bling and identifies as being from Dallas.

I must have touched a nerve...You must be that guy on the slopes.

Pretty funny but true. I laugh at those on the hill wearing camo, it is just funny. Especially couples wearing matching camo outfits, probably their deer hunting outfits. It is juts funny, that's all. My son was all prepared to wear all hunting gear sking, but I bought him proper gear. Going out to eat, he still wore camo. grin
[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8308334 06/30/21 12:34 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Takes one, to know one.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8308350 06/30/21 12:54 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
[Linked Image]

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: Guy] #8308367 06/30/21 01:08 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Big_Ag

I have had mixed experiences drinking and skiing. Some times it felt great, and other times it really dragged me down. I would recommend not drinking and sking. Nothing better than sking hard all day, crushing some beers after a good day on the hill..

If your staying on the mountain I suggest taking it easy on the alcohol. I always had trouble with altitude sickness, and alcohol just magnified it.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8308458 06/30/21 03:07 AM
L
Leonardo Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Smartest people I see on the mountain are skiing in their Sitka hunting gear. Couldn’t believe that I didn’t think of it before buying some necessities.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8308485 06/30/21 03:46 AM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Damn fellas appreciate all the feedback.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8308581 06/30/21 11:33 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Gloves, Non-insulated bibs/pants , non-insulated shell(w/pit zips), googles and probably a neck gaiter since it will still an extension on communist China.

Don't over think it. You really don't even need waterproof. In fact only thing to probably buy is just a non-insulated bibs with hip vents. Layer Up according to the weather.

You will be hotter then cold probably 9/10 days

^^^^ this. CO is a dry cold and you will be active so dress in light layers that wick moisture (no cotton). None of my jackets/pants/bibs are insulated. I only used goggles when it was snowing hard, sunglasses the rest of the time. Wear sunscreen on your face.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8308601 06/30/21 11:50 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Obviously some guys don't care at all about appearance, but just don't be the guy wearing starched Wrangler's and a camo hunting jacket.

Fashion advice coming from some guy who goes by Gringo Bling and identifies as being from Dallas.

I must have touched a nerve...You must be that guy on the slopes.

Negative, hud is exact opposite, he is more like Babylon Bee. He is posting satire.

I laughed grin

Somes assume too much. I called out guy due to his extensive European experience, documented fishing capabilities and self-proclaimed chick magnet abilities. I thought these attributes would tie in perfectly with sa hunter. Not no "Gringo Bling". Believe me, hunter is neither of those. No Bling and no Gringo.

Last edited by Hudbone; 06/30/21 11:55 AM.
Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: Big Fitz] #8308679 06/30/21 01:13 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Big Fitz
CO is a dry cold and you will be active so dress in light layers that wick moisture (no cotton).

Cotton is personal preference. If you are the type person that sweats a lot, you do not want cotton. I do not sweat, I love cotton. I got cotton long one piece underwear, with trap door in back, I have had for 40 years, love them. And cotton turtle necks. I love wearing these skiing.

I quit wearing cotton duck hunting because it is dangerous, especially on my boat, if you get wet you are screwed.

Wick moisture is key with gloves. Cheap gloves, even if water proof, get wet inside and stay wet.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8308681 06/30/21 01:15 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I picked cotton.

[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8308730 06/30/21 01:44 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I laughed at the camo comments. Last time I skied Ruidoso, I wore my Sitka duck hunting jacket because it is waterproof. I'm sure most of the people wearing camo are from Texas.

The outerwear of choice for the "cool kids" looked to be hockey jerseys when I was skiing in CO.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: goosebuster] #8308762 06/30/21 02:00 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Black is the fastest color, trust me, it has taken me years to figure this out. Girls can mix in a little white, but guys need go all black.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: goosebuster] #8308794 06/30/21 02:35 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by goosebuster
I'm sure most of the people wearing camo are from Texas.

Yeah, you need to let out a "Whoooohooo!" every now and then to really play the part.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: nsmike] #8308798 06/30/21 02:38 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by nsmike
Originally Posted by scalebuster
I’m only 45 and know I’m too old to snow ski.

Speak for yourself, I'm 66 and ski...

At the beginning of Covid I went to Tahoe and on the gondola I met a couple celebrating the wife's 75th birthday - the husband was 78, I believe. Yes, certainly few and far between to find older folks like that on the slopes. They live in the area during Winter specifically to ski and when not there they spend much of their time in the Caribbean. We had great conversation.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8308804 06/30/21 02:41 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Regarding the camo comments, I've worn a Kuiu Vias jacket before. Yep, I'm sure to some I looked dumb, but I don't care. Base shirt is a Kuiu Merino.

[Linked Image]

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: Hudbone] #8308811 06/30/21 02:47 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Somes assume too much. I called out guy due to his extensive European experience, documented fishing capabilities and self-proclaimed chick magnet abilities. I thought these attributes would tie in perfectly with sa hunter. Not no "Gringo Bling". Believe me, hunter is neither of those. No Bling and no Gringo.

Lol, you know that old deer hunting saying "if its brown it's down"....... well I think it probably works for skiing too...

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 06/30/21 02:48 PM.
Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? [Re: Hudbone] #8308827 06/30/21 03:08 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

rofl Not just Europe! Don't make me post more pics!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide