Texas Hunting Forum

Ski gear... what are the necessities?

Posted By: S.A. hunter

Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 04:38 PM

We are going skiing for Christmas...... not my choice. What ski gear is essential for a first-time skier I probably won't ever do it again so I'm not looking to go overboard. I will also need to know what can be rented. Thanks.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 04:44 PM

Calling out Guy. Guyyyyy . . . .

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

You ski Hud?
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
We are going skiing for Christmas...... not my choice. What ski gear is essential for a first-time skier I probably won't ever do it again so I'm not looking to go overboard. I will also need to know what can be rented. Thanks.

You might be surprised. I went snow skiing for the first time three years ago. Couldn't wait until the next trip, and then went a 3rd time this past winter. We plan on making it a regular thing every year now.
You definitely need snow bibs and a coat and gloves. For your hat and face covering, you can just wear your cold weather hunting gear if you want. If you are going for Christmas, it might be cold, so you might think about goggles too. I usually go for spring break and it is usually kinda warm then, so just sunglasses work for me. You can rent the skis, boots, and poles. We found most of our snow gear on facebook marketplace used, so it did not cost an arm and a leg.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 04:52 PM

Bibs, jacket, good waterproof gloves, goggles,something to keep your ears warm. You can rent the actual skiing equipment at the resort.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 04:54 PM

Bourbon

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

You might be surprised. I went snow skiing for the first time three years ago. Couldn't wait until the next trip, and then went a 3rd time this past winter. We plan on making it a regular thing every year now.
You definitely need snow bibs and a coat and gloves. For your hat and face covering, you can just wear your cold weather hunting gear if you want. If you are going for Christmas, it might be cold, so you might think about goggles too. I usually go for spring break and it is usually kinda warm then, so just sunglasses work for me. You can rent the skis, boots, and poles. We found most of our snow gear on facebook marketplace used, so it did not cost an arm and a leg.

Appreciate it, yeah maybe. My wife dragged me Kicking and Screaming to New York City for Christmas a couple years ago, and I actually enjoyed it, so who knows?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Bibs, jacket, good waterproof gloves, goggles,something to keep your ears warm. You can rent the actual skiing equipment at the resort.

Learn something new everyday. I didn't know you skewed.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:05 PM

Bibs are nice. Especially in wet snow. But you can get by with "gators" that cover the lower half of jeans. I've also ScotchGuarded the heck out of jeans and used them with good results. A good pair of sunglasses with a neck strap work fine in place of goggles.

I'd also ask around to borrow stuff from friends or neighbors. I've loaned out ski gear numerous times.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:05 PM

Appreciate it, yeah maybe. My wife dragged me Kicking and Screaming to New York City for Christmas a couple years ago, and I actually enjoyed it, so who knows?

Where are you going?

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

I haven’t for several years Bill, and with a bad knee I am done.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:08 PM

Where are you going?

Vail, If I remember correctly.

What is the likelihood of getting injured?
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:10 PM

I went once. Looked at the mountain from the parking lot. And said, no way I’m skiing down that. I’m certainly not riding the lift.

Not my thing. I tried.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:10 PM

What would you say the fun factor is from one to ten, ten being the best.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I went once. Looked at the mountain from the parking lot. And said, no way I’m skiing down that. I’m certainly not riding the lift.

Not my thing. I tried.

Lol, I'm guessing your high center of gravity doesn't help either. Its probably easier for the vertically challenged.
Posted By: ChrisG

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:20 PM

Pretty good standard list. I use pants instead of bibs but I usually run pretty hot and am shedding layers after every run to the bottom.

If you have never gone a ski class is a great way to learn in a controlled environment. If you wing it and learn on your own I would say 50/50 chance on getting hurt with the possibility of a ride down with ski patrol.

I have had friends pick it up right away and have seen others bust so bad they curse me for inviting them.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by pegasaurus
Bourbon

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

And good health insurance & the local emergency numbers and locations. eek2
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:22 PM

You'll be able to rent skis, boots, helmet and probably goggles. Some places rent outwear as well. Just need to call a few in the area you're going. Also good to reserve equipment ahead of time. If you do wear a helmet, which I highly recommend, the insulation is pretty solid and they keep your head and ears warm. I usually wear a very thin balaclava under my helmet. Gloves...mitts are the way to go. Mine are thin but keep my hands perfectly warm. I usually just wear a t-shirt and thermal leggings. Good socks are a must. Darn tough ski/snowboard socks are my favorite so far.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:26 PM

[/quote]
Appreciate it, yeah maybe. My wife dragged me Kicking and Screaming to New York City for Christmas a couple years ago, and I actually enjoyed it, so who knows?[/quote]
Where are you going?[/quote]

What is the likelihood of getting injured? [/quote]

We used to have a “business “ trip with a bunch of vendors and customers. On the next to last trip one of the customers blew out a knee on his first fall on the bunny hill. Had to be driven home to the Valley in the back of an SUV, didn’t want to have surgery In Colorado. It was his first time to even see snow. I guess it’s just luck of the draw.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:28 PM

You can rent all the clothing too.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:44 PM

That depends on how daring you get. If you stick to the greens, you will probably have a higher risk of getting injured in a Texas ice storm. I am 48 tomorrow, so I skiied at 45 for the first time, an am only in halfway decent shape. Take a half day class and you will be good to go with the knowledge of how to handle yourself. If you are comfortable on the greens, then step up to the blues. They are much more fun.

If your wife is an experienced skiier and tells you that you are doing great and you should go down a Black with her, DON"T DO IT!!! Trust me. If you follow my advice, the likelihood of injury is pretty slim.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:44 PM

You ski Hud?

That would be a negative. Too many bad habits already.

Guy should ready to apply his expertise here (if he can remember).
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 05:56 PM

We ski quite a bit. You'll have fun.

You aren't going to need near the amounts of insulation that you think you will. It's physical and you'll get hot. I've skied on a sunny days in the single digits wearing a long sleeve t-shirt with nothing over it. Focus on water proof shells top and bottom. Being new you're gonna fall. If you get wet, you'll be miserable. You can always layer under the shells but I can promise that you'll never need more than some thermal underwear and maybe sweat pants and a hoodie. Get hand and foot warmers to keep your hands and feet warm and you'll be good. Definitely make sure your gloves are waterproof. I rarely even wear gloves anymore but I don't fall. Day 1, layer up more. It'll be slower and you'll be colder as you learn.

Definitely wear a helmet. I used to not wear one but other skiers are idiots and will hit you. I started wearing one after some of the stuff I saw on the slopes. Bunny slopes are the worst.

Sunglasses or tinted goggles. The sun coming off the snow will blind you.

And also agree to start off on morning 1 with a lesson. That hour or two will make the rest of your trip 100X better.

Two tips I tell newbies. First, if you fall, getting up with skis on is hard. Kick them off, stand up, and put them back on. Second, flex your knees and lean forward. You should feel your shins pressing hard on the front of the boots. Once you get used to that feeling, balance, stopping, and turning come really easy. Most people try to stand straight up and keep their balance. That doesn't work, and even if you can pull it off, you can't turn or stop because you're not putting any pressure on the skis. Same thing coming off the lift....get your weight over the front of your skis and your shins buried in the front of the boots as soon as you come off the seat.

Both my knees are shot and I don't do the crazy stuff anymore, but if your technique is good greens and blues are easy to handle.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen

Bibs are nice. Especially in wet snow. But you can get by with "gators" that cover the lower half of jeans. I've also ScotchGuarded the heck out of jeans and used them with good results. A good pair of sunglasses with a neck strap work fine in place of goggles.

I'd also ask around to borrow stuff from friends or neighbors. I've loaned out ski gear numerous times.

I would love to see him skiing in scotch guarded jeans at Vail, the locals will love it.
Rent or borrow some decent ski pants. Wind blocking layers are what you need, the ride up the lift will be the coldest part of your day.
Rent a helmet, concussions are not uncommon if it gets icy.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
First, if you fall, getting up with skis on is hard. Kick them off, stand up, and put them back on. .

This bears repeating so that you don't forget once you are up on the slopes!

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 06:43 PM

What would you say the fun factor is from one to ten, ten being the best.

With the right gear and lessons, it’s a 10. Take lessons! Stay dry! First time I went was at Taos, NM. Guy I worked with took me. He was in the ski patrol in Italy while in the service, so he was very experienced. I was wearing jeans, jacket, no gloves or ear warmers. He took me to the top of the mountain, then would go down a run and wait on me. Only way I knew how to stop was fall down or snow plow. By the time I got to the bottom I felt like a popsicle. Very cold and frustrated. Before going back I got the right clothes, but never took a lesson. Got where I could do intermediate runs. Being in NM a couple winters working I had time to go quite often.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 06:45 PM

What he said... get Bibs vs pants. Some kind of easy-on/easy-off duck boots to wear to and from the lift area.

You DEFINITELY want to go tubing somewhere.

Charlie
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 06:50 PM

Weed.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 06:52 PM

I don't wear bibs like many have suggested. Just ski pants. I also don't wear they typical jacket. I wear a light puffy and a softshell. I'll usually have a light Merino wool base layer. Good gloves, good socks (boot tops bother some people on their shins - socks will help with that). A lot of people wear goggles and I usually do though sometimes I simply wear sunglasses with the headband. Goggles vs sunglasses, to me, depends on the conditions. I wear a small day pack, with hydration bladder, for party supplies, drinks, snacks, and misc items, like my wallet, so I can ditch the goggles/gloves/clothing/whatev if desired. And a helmet but that can be rented if you're brave.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 07:00 PM

If you waterski a bunch, it's going to seem very odd at first. On the water you lean back. If you lean forward you're going down. On snow it's the exact opposite. Lean forward and you're good. Lean back and you're going down.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
If you waterski a bunch, it's going to seem very odd at first. On the water you lean back. If you lean forward you're going down. On snow it's the exact opposite. Lean forward and you're good. Lean back and you're going down.

This.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 07:10 PM

really good hospitalization insurance
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 07:13 PM

If you French fry when you're supposed to pizza, you're gonna have a bad time...
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 07:23 PM

I ski regularly, 13 days last year and 17 the year before, I prefer pants because bibs are often too hot with a jacket over them. Bibs are almost mandatory for deep powder, but as a beginner, you will be staying on groomed slopes. The helmet you get will determine if you need something to cover you ears many helmets have ear flaps.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 07:28 PM

Gloves, Non-insulated bibs/pants , non-insulated shell(w/pit zips), googles and probably a neck gaiter since it will still an extension on communist China.

Don't over think it. You really don't even need waterproof. In fact only thing to probably buy is just a non-insulated bibs with hip vents. Layer Up according to the weather.

You will be hotter then cold probably 9/10 days

Posted By: Payne

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 07:31 PM

You'll probably be fine

rip sonny

[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 07:45 PM

but if the worst does happen, Payne will write your obituary and photo shop lots of pictures. You'll be dead, but famous.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
Weed.

Beat me to it......... cool2
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 07:59 PM

I'd get a helmet for sure. There are very few people dumb enough these days to ski/board without one. It's $5-$10 a day to rent, but if you buy right now in the offseason, you can purchase a Smith MIPS helmet for ~$80. Or if you want something cheaper but still good quality, Zionor for $50.

Obviously some guys don't care at all about appearance, but just don't be the guy wearing starched Wrangler's and a camo hunting jacket.
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 08:06 PM

For gloves, don’t waste your money on fancy ski gloves. Insulated kincos (waterproofed with snoseal or similar) are far superior.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Obviously some guys don't care at all about appearance, but just don't be the guy wearing starched Wrangler's and a camo hunting jacket.

Fashion advice coming from some guy who goes by Gringo Bling and identifies as being from Dallas.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 08:36 PM

The most likely thing to get injured at Vail will be your wallet.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 08:53 PM

Besides Amazon...where are the best places to shop online?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 08:57 PM

What's a 3-day lift ticket cost these days?

Charlie

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 08:59 PM

If you qualify for either a Military Pass or a Veterans Pass you can save some damage to you wallet. A Veteran Pass is $447 for the season, Military Pass $135 for the season, the daily walk up rate is $209.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 09:03 PM

My first guess would be Ski's.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 09:11 PM

I’m only 45 and know I’m too old to snow ski. I used to enjoy it. I won’t ski for the same reason I won’t ride a motorcycle. I can’t do anything slowly or carefully, I’m full throttle at all times. I have a family and don’t need to be laid up and hurt. I would recommend finding a good spot in the bar and watch the women all day. Let the wife and kids tear up the slopes.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
I’m only 45 and know I’m too old to snow ski. I used to enjoy it. I won’t ski for the same reason I won’t ride a motorcycle. I can’t do anything slowly or carefully, I’m full throttle at all times. I have a family and don’t need to be laid up and hurt. I would recommend finding a good spot in the bar and watch the women all day. Let the wife and kids tear up the slopes.

Speak for yourself, I'm 66 and ski full bore on the borderline of advanced intermediate/expert level, I do avoid moguls.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 09:40 PM

Fashion advice coming from some guy who goes by Gringo Bling and identifies as being from Dallas.

I must have touched a nerve...You must be that guy on the slopes.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 09:52 PM

Negative, hud is exact opposite, he is more like Babylon Bee. He is posting satire.

I laughed grin
Posted By: outnumbered

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 09:54 PM

look at kitlender.com they have good packages where you can rent or buy and they will ship straight to resort if you choose and every time we have done it its all been brand new and easy to deal with
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 10:04 PM

Blasphemy that not one veteran skier has mentioned the number one necessity, a FLASK.

Also, get moisture wicking long underwear. You can thank me later.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 10:31 PM

And chapstick!

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 10:58 PM

And chapstick!

Yep. Lips get very dry.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 11:24 PM

Polypropylene long johns to wick off the moisture, or silk ones if you want to make a fashion statement. Same with glove liners, and buy good ski gloves.

You can rent just about everything except for broken bones, those are self inflicted. Good places to find used stuff is at major cities Goodwill, Salvation Army and other non profit resale stores. This is not the places to buy skis and poles, rent them on location. Make reservations for the rental stuff.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 11:29 PM

These are things to for sure rent:
* Skis
* Ski Polls
* Boots
* Helmet

Optional, check with Ski Shop in Vail, you may want to rent.
* Ski Bibs and jacket. You can rent this, but I would just buy, it will last forever, never know when you want to use it. Get cheap black bibs, you can get for like $60. Columbia jacket I got for my son last year, can't remember how much. $150? Get a jacket where the inside (coat) zips in and out, so on warm days, you can just wear the shell.
* Gloves - If they rent nice ones, go that route. I bought cheap gloves for my kids, ended up buying nice ones. Cheap gloves are terrible, and it sucks when your hands get cold. And it will be cold in Dec. My gloves I have had for 20 years, they have duck tape on them, which means I'm a real ski bum.
* Goggles - This is personal preference, but I like to wear my shades if it is not snowing, which are prescription. The lenses are awesome, I got dark and yellow for overcast. If snowing, I got goggles with yellow lenses, and clear insert prescription. Do you wear prescription glasses? I would not worry about goggles until you need them, watch the weather. If you see it is going to be snowing the next day, get some goggles at the Vail ski shop.

Things to buy:
* Ski socks. You want thin socks, buy these at the ski shop, go cheap and thin. You do not want thick socks. One pair will do.
* Boots with rubber sole. These can be like hiking boots, you want something over the ankle if you walk in snow. Don't wear cowboy boots and leather soles, you slip and hit your [censored]... roflmao
* Get a buff
* Long underwear...
* Small back pack. Optional, but I never ski without one. Just love throwing small stuff in there, water bottles..you may want to shed a layer of clothing and put in there. You gotta learn to get on and off the lift with them, but a must for me.

Over all, I say don't worry too much about what to buy before you get there, they sell every thing you need there. You may pay a little more at the ski shop in the resort, but they sell good gear.

Also, take lessons for sure. Don't try and wing it. I would take a morning lesson every day, then afternoon ski on your own and work on what your instructor told you. If you do this, chance of injury is very low. If you are aggressive type and in shape, do a private lesson. It will move at your pace. Group lesson will go slower, but if you are the social type, they can be a lot of fun, and it is cheaper, and probably a lot of Texans.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 11:51 PM

And chapstick!

Yep. Carmex is a favorite for most. I like blistex medicated, the best!

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/29/21 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Ag
Blasphemy that not one veteran skier has mentioned the number one necessity, a FLASK.

I have had mixed experiences drinking and skiing. Some times it felt great, and other times it really dragged me down. I would recommend not drinking and sking. Nothing better than sking hard all day, crushing some beers after a good day on the hill..

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 12:33 AM

Pretty funny but true. I laugh at those on the hill wearing camo, it is just funny. Especially couples wearing matching camo outfits, probably their deer hunting outfits. It is juts funny, that's all. My son was all prepared to wear all hunting gear sking, but I bought him proper gear. Going out to eat, he still wore camo. grin
[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 12:34 AM

Takes one, to know one.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 12:54 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 01:08 AM

I
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Big_Ag

I have had mixed experiences drinking and skiing. Some times it felt great, and other times it really dragged me down. I would recommend not drinking and sking. Nothing better than sking hard all day, crushing some beers after a good day on the hill..

If your staying on the mountain I suggest taking it easy on the alcohol. I always had trouble with altitude sickness, and alcohol just magnified it.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 03:07 AM

Smartest people I see on the mountain are skiing in their Sitka hunting gear. Couldn’t believe that I didn’t think of it before buying some necessities.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 03:46 AM

Damn fellas appreciate all the feedback.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Gloves, Non-insulated bibs/pants , non-insulated shell(w/pit zips), googles and probably a neck gaiter since it will still an extension on communist China.

Don't over think it. You really don't even need waterproof. In fact only thing to probably buy is just a non-insulated bibs with hip vents. Layer Up according to the weather.

You will be hotter then cold probably 9/10 days

^^^^ this. CO is a dry cold and you will be active so dress in light layers that wick moisture (no cotton). None of my jackets/pants/bibs are insulated. I only used goggles when it was snowing hard, sunglasses the rest of the time. Wear sunscreen on your face.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 11:50 AM

Negative, hud is exact opposite, he is more like Babylon Bee. He is posting satire.

I laughed grin

Somes assume too much. I called out guy due to his extensive European experience, documented fishing capabilities and self-proclaimed chick magnet abilities. I thought these attributes would tie in perfectly with sa hunter. Not no "Gringo Bling". Believe me, hunter is neither of those. No Bling and no Gringo.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Big Fitz
CO is a dry cold and you will be active so dress in light layers that wick moisture (no cotton).

Cotton is personal preference. If you are the type person that sweats a lot, you do not want cotton. I do not sweat, I love cotton. I got cotton long one piece underwear, with trap door in back, I have had for 40 years, love them. And cotton turtle necks. I love wearing these skiing.

I quit wearing cotton duck hunting because it is dangerous, especially on my boat, if you get wet you are screwed.

Wick moisture is key with gloves. Cheap gloves, even if water proof, get wet inside and stay wet.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 01:15 PM

I picked cotton.
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 01:44 PM

I laughed at the camo comments. Last time I skied Ruidoso, I wore my Sitka duck hunting jacket because it is waterproof. I'm sure most of the people wearing camo are from Texas.

The outerwear of choice for the "cool kids" looked to be hockey jerseys when I was skiing in CO.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 02:00 PM

Black is the fastest color, trust me, it has taken me years to figure this out. Girls can mix in a little white, but guys need go all black.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by goosebuster
I'm sure most of the people wearing camo are from Texas.

Yeah, you need to let out a "Whoooohooo!" every now and then to really play the part.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by nsmike
Originally Posted by scalebuster
I’m only 45 and know I’m too old to snow ski.

Speak for yourself, I'm 66 and ski...

At the beginning of Covid I went to Tahoe and on the gondola I met a couple celebrating the wife's 75th birthday - the husband was 78, I believe. Yes, certainly few and far between to find older folks like that on the slopes. They live in the area during Winter specifically to ski and when not there they spend much of their time in the Caribbean. We had great conversation.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 02:41 PM

Regarding the camo comments, I've worn a Kuiu Vias jacket before. Yep, I'm sure to some I looked dumb, but I don't care. Base shirt is a Kuiu Merino.

[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 02:47 PM

Somes assume too much. I called out guy due to his extensive European experience, documented fishing capabilities and self-proclaimed chick magnet abilities. I thought these attributes would tie in perfectly with sa hunter. Not no "Gringo Bling". Believe me, hunter is neither of those. No Bling and no Gringo.

Lol, you know that old deer hunting saying "if its brown it's down"....... well I think it probably works for skiing too...

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 03:08 PM

rofl Not just Europe! Don't make me post more pics!

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Big Fitz
CO is a dry cold and you will be active so dress in light layers that wick moisture (no cotton).

Cotton is personal preference. If you are the type person that sweats a lot, you do not want cotton. I do not sweat, I love cotton. I got cotton long one piece underwear, with trap door in back, I have had for 40 years, love them. And cotton turtle necks. I love wearing these skiing.

I quit wearing cotton duck hunting because it is dangerous, especially on my boat, if you get wet you are screwed.

Wick moisture is key with gloves. Cheap gloves, even if water proof, get wet inside and stay wet.

No point in cotton with today’s Modern Textile abilities. Especially with the wool/nylon blends.

Wearing cotton in mountains is like not wearing your seat belt while driving.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
Regarding the camo comments, I've worn a Kuiu Vias jacket before. Yep, I'm sure to some I looked dumb, but I don't care. Base shirt is a Kuiu Merino.

[Linked Image]

Their axis and guide jacket work well. They both breath extremely well and have great DWR’s. If the Axis jacket had forearm pocket for lift pass it might be the perfect dual purpose resort ski jacket, honestly

Their zip off base layer bottoms IMO are must have, you can vent or remove with ski boots on.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 04:39 PM

Don’t over think it. If you have a water proof shell you fish in bring it. Layer up under it. The first day you will dress too warm. Good pair of gloves with cuffs and sun glasses with a strap, tall wool socks, and a Toboggan. Keep your hands, feet and ears warm. We skied in jeans with scotch guard and gaiters the first trip. If you are a maven for style you can spend the coin on bibs and a ski coat. You will still look like a beginner when you first start. On later trips after I figured out I enjoyed it, I got a pair of ski pants. In December it will be cold enough the snow is dry. You will fall some when you start. If you are athletic and in decent shape you will pick it up pretty quick. If you are not in shape, you will enjoy yourself more if you use the time before you go to get in shape by doing lunges and walking stadium bleachers. If there is an advanced skier going along they can show you what you need to know in short order. If not, take a short lesson. The lesson will be like watching paint dry if you are in shape and have decent coordination. It will have some that can’t walk and chew gum and things will move at their pace. First time I went has been almost 40 years ago. I rode the lift up the hill with my brother in law who was an ex Air Force paratrooper that had been stationed in Alaska and was an expert skier. He coached me on exiting the lift first. When we got off the lift it was all black or double black diamonds. He showed me how to turn and stop and said he would see me at the bottom. I fell multiple times before it clicked and I figured out how to turn to control my speed where the hill is steep and how to stop. Then skied to the lift and had a blast the rest of the trip. I still hate the green slopes. Polling sucks. I do not wear a helmet but it is not something I would advise against.
Renting boots, skis, and poles is what most do. The little kids are fearless and appear to have the most fun on the mountain. Go have a ball.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 04:44 PM

Their axis and guide jacket work well.

Yeah and that's the Guide in the picture. The light puffy in the pic with the Guide works well on colder mornings then I shed the puffy usually by lunch. If I'm still warm I open the pit zips.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 07:22 PM

Really? What about surf shorts and a bandana, what is that like? roflmao

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 07:24 PM

Lol, is that you?

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 07:26 PM

Lol, is that you?

Yep, 1985.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Lol, is that you?

Yep, 1985.

Don't do it.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Lol, is that you?

Yep, 1985.

Don't do it.

What jump, or wear those shorty mcshorts shorts?

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 08:00 PM

Take you pick and be greedy.

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 08:46 PM

Those shorts were in style back then, I had yellow pair too the girls really liked...

[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 06/30/21 09:03 PM

That's because they thought you were Chachi

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 07/01/21 01:18 AM

That's because they thought you were Chachi

Ha ha, that guy in that pic is buddy since the 4th grade, to this day he gives me hell about those shorts I wore on that day, guy in the middle below...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Payne

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 07/01/21 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Guy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 07/01/21 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Guy

Really? What about surf shorts and a bandana, what is that like? roflmao

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think you look like an idiot,

But I too was dumb when younger. I’d spend half my pay on backcountry helo or snowmobile rides to get back deep away from the idiots but wouldn’t spend a dime on my own avalanche beacon, or any other technology that could of saved my life.

Hindsight I was pretty lucky.

Like I said wearing cotton in mountains is like not wearing a seatbelt. There no pluses to it. It’s actually more dangerous in late spring then winter but nonetheless point less

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 07/01/21 04:08 AM

[Linked Image]
Me last March.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Ski gear... what are the necessities? - 07/01/21 04:12 AM

you don't need goggles but you will need sunglasses

sunscreen

lip balm with sunscreen in it

waterproof gloves or mittens

ski pants

a light waterproof jacket

long sleeved shirts to wear underneath the jacket

remember, this is a pretty intense physical activity you'll be doing, so you're going to stay warm underneath your clothing, so you don't need super thick insulation.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum