Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112534 03/15/18 10:35 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Success rate means squat. I started hunting deer in the early 60's. Back then if you saw a deer every time you went out you were very lucky. If you just want to hunt then do it. That is what hunting is about. Now if you want to be guaranteed a deer then you will have to go a different route.

Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112640 03/16/18 12:11 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: shea.mcphail
She thinks that even one weekend away a month is too much.

You have a much bigger problem to work on than hunting. New mothers are certainly prone to crazy thinking like that, but I would work on everyone getting use to a new baby first, but as general statement, her point-of-view would be very concerning to me. I wish you luck...

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112653 03/16/18 12:22 AM
H
Hirogen Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Your family is more important than any hunting. We had 4 kids in five years from ages 25 to 30. As a result there was a 6 or 7 year stretch where hunting got put on the back burner. You go though stages in life and maybe yours is to take a break and keep the home fires tended for a bit. That will change moving forward and in a few years you will have a cherished hunting partner for the rest of your life.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112715 03/16/18 01:06 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Not to be rude, but this is something that y’all should’ve discussed before having a kid. If hunting means that much to you, then you need to have a serious discussion with the wife.

Don’t pass up the free hunting on family land, it’s better than nothing if money is an issue. Hunting public land vs private land (lease) doesn’t necessarily free up more time. I think it’s the same amount just public land would be all at once where a lease is more spread out through the year

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112718 03/16/18 01:08 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
You better get scene control real quick

Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112721 03/16/18 01:11 AM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
I had to cut back on hunting for years when the kids were young. I stopped going out of state and gave up my lease in West Texas. I did have the luxury of having land here at home and family land in the panhandle. Wasn't so much my wife but the reality of the profession I ended up choosing. After awhile I carried the kids with me and moved up in my profession. Now I can hunt anywhere I want, but still hunt where it is free. Last couple of years I have started doing some of the things I used to do, but with my son and SIL. I would give up hunting for my family if I had to, but thankfully I never really had too. You just have to do what is best for your family. Good luck.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Personal Question [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7112727 03/16/18 01:15 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

OR at least make it appear that way, LOL!

Give it a little more time, so she can be confident having her by herself. After that, explain to her that your not going to feel happy and content without hunting in your life. Encourage her to share the experience with you if possible. My wife isn't interested in sharing the hunting experience, so I just make sure to balance things out with stuff she likes to do. Marriage is give and take, not laying the law down. This needs to be explained to your wife.

For the win....

Last edited by Marc in Bastrop; 03/16/18 01:16 AM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Personal Question [Re: Hirogen] #7112742 03/16/18 01:22 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Hirogen
Your family is more important than any hunting. We had 4 kids in five years from ages 25 to 30. As a result there was a 6 or 7 year stretch where hunting got put on the back burner. You go though stages in life and maybe yours is to take a break and keep the home fires tended for a bit. That will change moving forward and in a few years you will have a cherished hunting partner for the rest of your life.

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112760 03/16/18 01:37 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Most of the time, the fight isn't really over the towel you left on the bathroom floor. Sounds like ya'll are equal $ earners. Create some separation by moonlighting, start a side business on your own, or work your butt off during the summer and tell her you are funding your hunting from your side earnings. She may feel like as long as she is working just as hard as you are and earning equal money, you shouldn't take from the family budget. If you spend money on hunting that doesn't come out of the family budget, no problem.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112810 03/16/18 02:17 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Was Blessed with a wife that enjoyed the out doors also. Hunt & fished while single. Were was raised it was family time & bout pudding food on the grill... What pappy calls: "hunting & fishing tis Poormans Food Stamps".
We started kids out in diapers camping in tent, we hauled water in little red wagon, had no running water at our trailor, saved up money for well. Only reason got on lease, it was cheap $200.00year lease, & it had hogs, wife found cheap Shasta camper, & it was a family outing. Although it was me doing the hunting, until kids decided they wanted ta go.
Family first, if they weren't allowed, didn't hunt, same with the trophy bs . Legal is legal is legal. i've eaten my tags, as a conservationalist. Worked the land, brush hog, fixed fence, bailed hay, & knew what it held.
You sound like ya got good head on shoulder.

"The TRUE TROPHY is the memories ya bring back with ya." pappy

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112832 03/16/18 02:37 AM
S
shea.mcphail Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Good advice all around. I talked to my wife some more and she has stressed that she wants me to keep hunting. She knows how much it means for me to be out in the woods. We also discussed plans for how I’ll introduce my daughter to hunting when she is older.

My plan for now is to focus on building up our land in Canton. It is 118 acres with about 40 of those in the woods. We can all go down to the family property so it isn’t such a big deal leaving my wife with the baby while I’m out in the mornings during hunts. We might buy a travel trailer in a year or so and go on family trips to state parks. Hopefully when my daughter is older we can get on a lease. I’m going to do my best to get her to love the outdoors like I do.

Edit: I’m also going to keep my public hunting permit and try out some different areas.

Last edited by shea.mcphail; 03/16/18 02:44 AM.
Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112850 03/16/18 02:55 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
up

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112862 03/16/18 03:10 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Honestly with kids the family place is gonna be your best bet.

My kids are a bit older but having 3 of them there is no way I could pull off having a lease and being there every weekend with the kids schedules with sports, etc.

I keep a small lease close to the house where I can make day trips with the kids ( I don’t hunt it myself ) and my West Texas place where I can put together a few 5 day hunts along with 1 out of state trip a year or every other.

That about sums up my hunting season

Last edited by txtrophy85; 03/16/18 03:14 AM.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112877 03/16/18 03:22 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My plan for now is to focus on building up our land in Canton. It is 118 acres with about 40 of those in the woods.

You don't have a problem other than worrying about the photos of deer you see posted here and other places. I spend most of my time hunting two tracts in Houston County that are roughly 100 acres each. One of these tracts has cows on it and only 20 acres of hardwood. Just learn as much as you can about deer behavior and hunting tactics and you'll be fine.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7112884 03/16/18 03:42 AM
R
rjd Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
You might look into planting some food plots or fruit trees that will draw deer to your place. Not sure where from Canton it is, but I am not too far from you and might be able to help if you need somebody with a weak back and weaker mind!

Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7113249 03/16/18 02:25 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Dang that's a rough one. I'd say public land is your best option. Leases are so expensive and honestly once you put the money down the work begins..it's a big commitment and it keeps costing more and more money and time.

There must be a balance though. It took a while but my wife understands I work hard all week and spend lots of time at home and sometimes I just need that time in the woods. When I come home from the woods I'm so calm and patient. She sees the difference and understands. I don't drink or smoke or need to hang out with friends at night...I just hunt or fish and she sees the value in it.

I think out of state public land is your best option. Of. Parse apply for TX public lands hunt but honestly it's pretty worthless here in TX. I've applied 8yeats in a row and never been drawn for a hunt. Out of state works best.

If you bowhunt I might be able to help you out. PM me if you bowhunt.

Good luck !!!

Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7113253 03/16/18 02:29 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I just noticed how far you were..dang I doubt you'd want to drive 6 hrs to Wimberley for a hunt but if you really want to pm me.

Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7113263 03/16/18 02:41 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Phew tough one.

A. I would stop my wife dead in her sentence if she questioned my fathering. Your wife clearly wants you to not hunt. That's is a problem. It can be solved several ways. One is inviting her to go. Your child will be ready to tag along on hunts before you know it.

Public land does require some leg work. But not more than lease. Like mentioned lease price is just the price of hunting there. Most require split feed split protien. Utility bills. A place to stay. Stands feeders.work weekends.

I hunt a fair amount of public. I enjoy it. But it is not for everyone. If you do want to hunt public you will be doing it with a bow. If you want to talk public hunting on me. I'd don't know anything about the stuff due east of you. But I know some stuff within an hour hour and a half of you.

Good luck. Remember the importance f passing down your hunting traditions to your children. Make sure your wife understands tbat.

Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7113379 03/16/18 05:04 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Need to see pic of wife before making any recommendations..........

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7113604 03/16/18 08:49 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Second wives are usually more accepting of a man's wants & needs.

Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7113801 03/16/18 11:47 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
First off put your family first. Do the financials yourself and you will know if a lease is in the cards or not. You may need to pick up a summer job to pay a lease. Things change for most of us when we have children and every marriage is different. Listen to your inner man and you will know if it's right or not. In my case I just came home and told my wife I had joined a lease. I always took good care of her and my family and didn't ask permission to hunt. I just made sure I always did right by them and my wife knew I would. That is what works for me. Been happily married over 30 years and the only tenuous times were the first year when we were figuring out how things were gonna be. Enjoy your new child. That will be the most important thing you do your whole life.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7113832 03/17/18 12:10 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
There is a heckuva a lot of middle ground between “asking permission” and “laying the law down”. And it happpens to be the best ground.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7114383 03/17/18 05:41 PM
R
RustyMetal Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Yes, family first. But why not hunt your people's place for free now. -- The harder the hunt the more satisfaction in the kill. Explain to your wife about a hobby or sport to keep the sanity. It cuts down on a lot of tension around the home. She should get a hobby as well, after the child gets a little older. Time away from each other makes for a much happier home.

Re: Personal Question [Re: shea.mcphail] #7114401 03/17/18 06:12 PM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
I’ve reached a point in my life that I’m not sure what to do. My wife and I had our first child at the end of December. I didn’t do really any hunting this season because it was impossible to get away and leave the baby. I’ve spent the past four years hunting at my family’s property in Canton, and I’ve seen only a handful of legal deer in that time. I mentioned to my wife that I would like to look into joining a deer lease this upcoming year. I mentioned some of the cheaper leases that I found and she was not on board. We are both teachers, so she doesn’t feel we will have the money for a lease. Plus we now have all of the expenses that come with a child. She’s also afraid that I’ll be gone all the time leaving her with the baby. She doesn’t see how I could be the best father for our child but also spend time away. She thinks that even one weekend away a month is too much.

Now I’m faced with many questions. I can do public hunting, but you guys know the success rates involved with public hunting. Plus I feel public hunting requires more time and effort than having a lease. How do you guys juggle being fathers and husbands while being hunters? Does it sound like I should even continue hunting? I’m tired of spending time and money and constantly being unsuccessful or even getting a real shot at an animal.

Not looking for a pity party. Just advice.

Well you probably won't like this. Just for background, I'm 53 years old have been married almost 30 years and have 4 kids, the youngest is now 19.

You need to man up and tell your wife that being a father doesn't mean you are there with the child 24x7. Especially when the child is a few months old. I've traveled for work a lot as my kids were growing up, I also took weekends away to go hunting. As the kids get older they can go hunting with you and you can spend bonding time with them. My kids grew up just fine and my boys still go hunting with me. Yes you can be a great father and occasionally leave the baby's side. Guess what your wife can be a great mother and have some time off away from you and the kid as well. Yeah you get your hunting weekend and she gets a spa weekend with her sisters, cousins, girl friends, ect... You get the kid an 100% quality daddy bonding time.

As for the cost of joining a hunting lease, well that is a financial decision that you and your wife need to make together. But there are cheaper options, public land, finding private land that doesn't charge an arm and a leg or that will trade some work for hunting time. As a teacher you have a couple months off in the summer. A farmer or rancher would love to have someone come out and help around the place. They might even pay you.

Another option is to move you hunting closer. I do a lot of suburban archery hunting. I drive 30 minutes away and hunt a little 5 acre piece of property. I see deer every single time I go there, may not always get a shot at them, but I kill a lot of deer there.

You don't have to give up hunting because you have a kid, but you may have to modify your hunting.

Last edited by VAFish; 03/17/18 06:17 PM.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Personal Question [Re: kdkane1971] #7114407 03/17/18 06:20 PM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
Second wives are usually more accepting of a man's wants & needs.

I'm still on my first ex wife.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide