Forums46
Topics538,303
Posts9,735,520
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: jshouse] #6692724 03/02/17 04:44 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: jshouse

oh no, I get what you are going for, you explained it 3 times and my reading comprehension is known to be strong to quite strong. its just a simplistic argument. using your numbers you could argue that a deer on my 10 acre property is unavailable to the neighbors as long as its on my property, as are the 2 deer on my neighbors 20 acres, and so on. we get it.

but deer move, PARTICULAR deer move, and although most aren't willing to admit it, antlered bucks are what drive this whole argument and they move the most. you see threads every year, "when is the rut in XYZ county, "looks like the rut is on in XYZ county," and so on, every hunter looks forward to the rut, I remember hearing my uncles talk about the "rut" 30 years ago when I started hunting...why is the rut is so important to us?

because we all hope to catch that buck cruising for does, and we all look forward to "never knowing what is going to step out during the rut." someone said it earlier talking about mule deer, so many more good bucks would hit the ground if the season was during the rut. why? because they are moving. a HF restricts that. period.

Yes it is a simplistic argument....because it is a simplistic issue. Yes, I know HF restricts movement (that's why they exist). Yes, I know PARTICULAR deer move from property to property....my reading comprehension is also quite strong. My question is.....why is it so important that those PARTICULAR deer on your neighbor's property be available to you, when there are countless others outside the fence that move about freely?

Bottom line is we will probably never see eye-to-eye on this....and that's okay. Thanks for having a calm and polite debate with me. I appreciate it. cheers

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Eland Slayer] #6692734 03/02/17 04:50 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
Originally Posted By: Stub
[quote=huntwest][quote=Stub][quote=Eland Slayer]

I understand where you're coming from....but I will respectfully have to disagree. Just because the fence is taller, it does not mean the high fenced ranch is keeping any more of those deer away from their neighbors than a low fenced ranch....it just happens to be the same deer all the time instead of an ever-changing population of deer that are roaming from property to property.

To put it another way, if that ranch was low fenced instead of high fenced, you still would not have the ability to hunt those deer that live on the low fenced ranch....yet nobody is asking for the low fenced rancher to pay for any deer.

Again I have nothing against HF. I do not understand your logic though on the above comments scratch

1. If the ranch is HF it is certainly keeping more if not all of those deer away from neighboring properties.
2. If that HF ranch was LF you might be able to hunt those deer because they have the ability to cross over onto your property.

Yes, the high fence is keeping those PARTICULAR DEER away from the neighboring properties. That's not the point. The point is....whichever deer are on a low fenced ranch are unavailable to be hunted by the neighbors at any given time.

Let me try putting this one more way and then I'm done trying to reason....

Let's say you have a closed system of 100,000 acres (let's just call it an island for the sake of argument so we don't have to deal with another fence in the scenario. haha). On this island, there is a deer density of 1 deer per 10 acres. That means there are 10,000 deer on the island. Let's also say that in the center of this island, there is a 1,000 acre low fenced ranch. At any given time, there are going to be an average of 100 deer on this LOW FENCED property. Yes, these deer come and go and there are different groups of deer that can be there....but for the sake of this argument, there are ALWAYS 100 deer on this property. These deer are NOT AVAILABLE to be hunted by the neighboring landowners.

Now let's say that 1,000 acre ranch decides to put up a high fence. At the time the fence goes up, there are 100 deer on this ranch. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the ranch being low fenced and high fenced is this:

- On the low fenced ranch, the group of 100 deer that CANNOT BE HUNTED BY THE NEIGHBORS is always changing because of the deer coming and going across the boundary.

- On the high fenced ranch, the group of 100 deer that CANNOT BE HUNTED BY THE NEIGHBORS is always the same, because they are confined to the property.

In other words, nothing changed outside the fence. The remaining 99,000 acres of the island still have the same deer density of 1 deer per 10 acres. Nobody outside the fence will notice any difference in the quality of their hunting....UNLESS....they were one of the small landowners mooching off the efforts of the 1,000 acre neighbor, shooting whichever unfortunate deer that stepped across the fence onto their property.

If you don't like it, just say you don't like it....I can respect that. But don't sit here and try to tell me that my scenario "doesn't hold water" or "doesn't make sense" or "is BS" because it is simple math and logic. My guess is that if someone still resists this idea....then they either have a hard time with logic.....or they are whining because they are the little guy next to the big guy, shooting WAY more deer than they should be, and don't want their golden goose taken away. In which case I say.....get over it!!

Now we are on an island, which one Maui or Alcatraz confused2
Some of your logic has valid points but does not encompass the whole scenario, only your perception.

Sad part for you is I am looking for about a 2,000 acre ranch and was going to call you. I have a rich uncle thats in Lew Sterret right now, as soon as he gets out he is giving me the $$$$ rofl

If for some reason my uncle does not get out, my rich hunchback grandmother said she would give me the $$$$ when her back straightens up up

Last edited by Stub; 03/02/17 08:30 PM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Eland Slayer] #6692861 03/02/17 07:27 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

oh no, I get what you are going for, you explained it 3 times and my reading comprehension is known to be strong to quite strong. its just a simplistic argument. using your numbers you could argue that a deer on my 10 acre property is unavailable to the neighbors as long as its on my property, as are the 2 deer on my neighbors 20 acres, and so on. we get it.

but deer move, PARTICULAR deer move, and although most aren't willing to admit it, antlered bucks are what drive this whole argument and they move the most. you see threads every year, "when is the rut in XYZ county, "looks like the rut is on in XYZ county," and so on, every hunter looks forward to the rut, I remember hearing my uncles talk about the "rut" 30 years ago when I started hunting...why is the rut is so important to us?

because we all hope to catch that buck cruising for does, and we all look forward to "never knowing what is going to step out during the rut." someone said it earlier talking about mule deer, so many more good bucks would hit the ground if the season was during the rut. why? because they are moving. a HF restricts that. period.

Yes it is a simplistic argument....because it is a simplistic issue. Yes, I know HF restricts movement (that's why they exist). Yes, I know PARTICULAR deer move from property to property....my reading comprehension is also quite strong. My question is.....why is it so important that those PARTICULAR deer on your neighbor's property be available to you, when there are countless others outside the fence that move about freely?

Bottom line is we will probably never see eye-to-eye on this....and that's okay. Thanks for having a calm and polite debate with me. I appreciate it. cheers

cheers

to the statement in red...honestly its only important to ME if its a shooter buck you fence in and I want to kill him. again, this almost always, whether you/they want to admit it, boils down to antlered bucks and whose wall they go on. both LO's want to kill them and in turn keep their neighbor from killing them, its just turned in to who wants to spend the money on a fence to make sure they win.

I can also understand the frustration of having "bad" neighbors and wanting to take them out of the equation.

I am all for LO rights and really don't care what anyone does on their property, as long as you aren't my neighbor planting rye grass in giant dong patterns and such. grin

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: jshouse] #6692880 03/02/17 07:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

cheers

to the statement in red...honestly its only important to ME if its a shooter buck you fence in and I want to kill him. again, this almost always, whether you/they want to admit it, boils down to antlered bucks and whose wall they go on. both LO's want to kill them and in turn keep their neighbor from killing them, its just turned in to who wants to spend the money on a fence to make sure they win.

I can also understand the frustration of having "bad" neighbors and wanting to take them out of the equation.

I am all for LO rights and really don't care what anyone does on their property, as long as you aren't my neighbor planting rye grass in giant dong patterns and such. grin

That's my whole point of this HF stuff. IMO the HF is changing the game so you can "win". But you have "won" a different game because you changed it by penning in the deer. So, what have you really "won"?

It seems that simple to my pea brain. I wouldn't care about it near as much if it didn't affect others. I do understand that the 5 acre man shooting 3 bucks affects others too. But at least the deer are still free so the game is still the same.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6692954 03/02/17 09:39 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
first off, I could care less whether someone else hunts behind a HF if that is what they want to do...

stir but can it really be called a "trophy" if taken from behind a HF? based on B&C and P&Y eligibility rules. loser8

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: PMK] #6692959 03/02/17 09:44 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: PMK
first off, I could care less whether someone else hunts behind a HF if that is what they want to do...

stir but can it really be called a "trophy" if taken from behind a HF? based on B&C and P&Y eligibility rules. loser8

This should add eight or nine more pages to the thread. popcorn

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Choctaw] #6692963 03/02/17 09:48 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: PMK

This should add eight or nine more pages to the thread. popcorn

more like 30 pages roflmao

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6693024 03/02/17 10:55 PM
P
Phlash Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I feel for the OP, having to read through the disagreement that doesn't have anything to do with his question. juggle

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Phlash] #6693035 03/02/17 11:15 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Phlash
I feel for the OP, having to read through the disagreement that doesn't have anything to do with his question. juggle

I don't ever recall seeing an 8 page thread that ended where it started.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Sneaky] #6693057 03/02/17 11:34 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: Phlash

I don't ever recall seeing an 8 page thread that ended where it started.

Nah, it's like that game where you line 30 people up, whisper a message, and see how it changes by the end. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6693067 03/02/17 11:49 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
We all must be really bored to go trough all this BS over and over and over and over. But after reading some of the posts that were written by those with a very good knowledge of big words and the English language it does make it more interesting.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6693069 03/02/17 11:51 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

grin

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Stub] #6693081 03/03/17 12:05 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: huntwest
[quote=Stub][quote=Eland Slayer]
I have a little different take. Regardless of the acreage if a person wants to high fence that person has to pay the state one time for every deer they fence out of the free range. If someone poaches a deer they get charged a fee for that deer, I think someone that high fences should have to pay the same fee. The landowner would be responsible for doing a fly over survey after the fence is up and would be billed for the animals he has entrapped. After that I think eland slayers idea is fine. But only AFTER the person high fencing the ranch buys the deer.
Although I am definitely not pro poacher I find it ironic that if I shoot a deer off someones property I am fined and have to pay a fee for the deer yet someone can put up a high fence and get all he can trap for free. And it is BS that high fences don't trap deer. They do it one time for sure.

Slippery slope with wanting to charge a one time fee for deer trapped on a HF, that would open Pandora's Box.
First you would have to estimate the amount of trapped deer, you would have to know the estimated deer density for that area. Example lets say 10 deer per 100 acres. 1,000 acres theoretically would have 100 deer. Minus the % of deer spooked off the property while erecting the HF lets say 40%. So using this example the estimated deer captured would be 60 on a 1,000 HF property.

Here is the other side of that coin, what if the state says okay since we are charging HF landowners a one time fee for the estimated amount of deer on their property, we should also charge LF a one time fee scratch

That is BS not a slippery slope. The state already charges for shot deer no difference. No matter the reasoning the state has already set a price for taking a deer from the public. HF deer no longer available to the public.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6693687 03/03/17 04:36 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Allow Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP) air rifles for hunting game animals. At least give us the ability to shoot Ducks and Turkey's.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: rex47] #6693792 03/03/17 05:56 PM
M
mrhilliam Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted By: rex47
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
That we can shoot predatory birds like road runners, hawks, cormorants, etc

good cormorants need to go

I agree on cormorants, never had a need or desire to shoot the others.

The idea of wildness needs no defense, it only needs more defenders.
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6693810 03/03/17 06:17 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I would make it illegal to have HF/LF discussions.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Choctaw] #6693859 03/03/17 06:57 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
popcorn

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Choctaw] #6693885 03/03/17 07:19 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
But then what fun would I have? Don't make it illegal. Poor old NP would go off the deep end if it wasn't for HF-LF.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: don k] #6693888 03/03/17 07:21 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: don k
But then what fun would I have? Don't make it illegal. Poor old NP would go off the deep end if it wasn't for HF-LF.

Nah, I'm good. And tired of them too. Believe it or not, I've never started one.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Stub] #6693907 03/03/17 07:41 PM
M
mrhilliam Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted By: 10pointers
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: Curtis
Get rid of the 13" AR.
horrible idea

Best idea yet

In general I like the concept of the 13" AR rule, it needs some type of modification to allow the harvest of mature deer that are inside the limit. Nothing irritates me more than seeing a 5 Year old tall thin tined 6 point that is inside the 13 and not be able to cull it hammer

I have come to appreciate the 13" rule as well. I did not like it when 1st implemented, but it has proven to be successful in allowing deer to mature. However, I run into the same problem. Where I hunt, in Atascosa county, I am positively covered in bucks that are well inside their ears. I saw at least five 3 1/2-5 1/2 YO deer this past season of varying mass and point total that were all near 10" inside width and unshootable. There needs to be some exception made that allows for the harvesting of mature bucks with inferior genes.

I am not in favor of allowing youth hunters to harvest deer inside 13" unless the above exception is used. You're never too young to learn how to age deer by sight. If you're old enough to hunt, you're old enough to allow a deer to grow up.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: mrhilliam] #6693922 03/03/17 07:54 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: mrhilliam
Originally Posted By: rex47
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
That we can shoot predatory birds like road runners, hawks, cormorants, etc

good cormorants need to go

I agree on cormorants, never had a need or desire to shoot the others.

Cant speak on road runners other than I like seeing them. But you've probably never had chickens that the hawks go after, or had a hawk try to steal your mojo while dove hunting.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6693951 03/03/17 08:30 PM
M
mrhilliam Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I can't say that I have had either of those. I have had a hawk grab a bass out of the Brazos that was previously attached to a fishing lure of mine. I didn't really want to shoot him for it. It was actually pretty spectacular, but I understand your point.

I just like seeing hawks and roadrunners. Maybe there should be some kind of exemption for landowners, though that would likely be impossible to enforce. I know my granddad used to shoot blue herons all the time because they ate the fish from his stock tanks.

I think cormorants are a nuisance, and in my neck of the woods, they seem to be way over populated. Kind of like grackels.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: don k] #6693957 03/03/17 08:35 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: don k

Well, I think you're right. It is an endless source of entertainment. And deep down we know NP love those arguments. grin

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6693961 03/03/17 08:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
grin Did you not see my coffee cup above?

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6693981 03/03/17 08:47 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
grin Did you not see my coffee cup above?

If you are selling those I need two dozen for a few prosecutors I know. roflmao

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide