Texas Hunting Forum

If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why

Posted By: BenBob

If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 02:46 PM

If you could change one game law that is on the books now which one would it be and why would you want to change it? It can have to do with when the season occurs or the bag limit or anything along those lines. Have some rationale to what you want to change.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 03:20 PM

Well.......I'm waiting! popcorn

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 03:43 PM

I would change the dates of mule deer season in the Trans-Pecos Region by moving them back 2 weeks to the last part of December. This would give the season a chance to coincide with the rut.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 03:58 PM

That we can shoot predatory birds like road runners, hawks, cormorants, etc

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
I would change the dates of mule deer season in the Trans-Pecos Region by moving them back 2 weeks to the last part of December. This would give the season a chance to coincide with the rut.

This is a good one.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 04:00 PM

I guess it's technically not a hunting law, but one game law I would change would the the minimum size limit on speckled trout. Too many small trout that are hooked badly or dropped on the deck have to be thrown back. That is a dead trout and I think it should count towards a persons limit.

I'd also like to see an earlier deer season for upper coastal counties. The rut down here starts the end of August and is well over by the start of the regular season. You can catch the end of it during bow season, but it's well off peak.
Posted By: kry226

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 04:15 PM

I would write/clarify the non-existent regulations on MD/WT hybrid kills.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226

I believe the warden makes the calls based on the tails
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 04:33 PM

I wish they would make Stonewall county a two buck county. I'm about 10 to 1 bucks vs does on my place. I guess my neighbors take advantage of the 4 antlerless bag limit a little too much. For now I do not allow the harvest of does on my place.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 04:51 PM

I wish they would make Shackleford county a 1 buck county again or at least put some restrictions on the 2nd buck.
Since they changed it 5 years ago our buck numbers have dropped except on big well managed ranches.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

This is a good one.

This is every mule deer hunters wish in Texas. TPWD intentionally sets the season up to end before the rut starts.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 05:06 PM

I wish they would issue buck and doe tags based on the amount of acreage you are hunting and the amount of deer the acreage can support.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 05:09 PM

Remove the shotgun plug rule for migratory birds.
It is just a revenue generator for TPWD.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I wish they would issue buck and doe tags based on the amount of acreage you are hunting and the amount of deer the acreage can support.

Good idea up
Posted By: chalet

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

Change opening day of dove season to the 1st Saturday in Sept. and up the bag limit.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 05:17 PM

Remove the baiting rule for migratory birds.
Posted By: Toepuncher

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 06:02 PM

This is what I was going to say. The devil would be in the details but I like the concept.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Toepuncher

This is what I was going to say. The devil would be in the details but I like the concept.

I would think the logistics would be a nightmare.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 06:38 PM

An end to multiple hunting seasons for deer based on harvest tools. Replace all of them with a single season using the harvest tool of your choice.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
An end to multiple hunting seasons for deer based on harvest tools. Replace all of them with a single season using the harvest tool of your choice.

Such a season is now in place from 1st Sat in November through 1st Saturday in January.

More accurate description of what you want is to do away with archery/muzzleloader-only seasons so you can hunt 3 1/2 months with a rifle instead of just 2 1/4 months as you can now.
Posted By: splash556

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 06:58 PM

Not require a land owner and immediate family purchase a license to hunt their own property.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 07:22 PM

This is a good one.

This is every mule deer hunters wish in Texas. TPWD intentionally sets the season up to end before the rut starts.

Exactly.

A lot more mature mule deer would hit the ground if they changed the season
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 07:28 PM

I would trade all of November for half of February on duck hunting season.
Posted By: kry226

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226

I believe the warden makes the calls based on the tails

That's my problem. Every hybrid looks a little different, and there are wardens who look for any MD characteristics and if any are found they call it a MD. I just think is a topic that can stand some clarification instead of leaving the call to a GW.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 07:56 PM

proof of sex on male turkey, must have a leg attached with spur accompanied by a patch of skin with breast feathers and beard attached.

Why not just have the leg with spur?
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 08:01 PM

Get rid of the break between dove seasons.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 08:02 PM

Close the quail season in counties that don't have a huntable population. Why have a season on a nonexistent species?
Posted By: rex47

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 08:30 PM

good cormorants need to go
Posted By: Phlash

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 08:36 PM

I would like all active duty military service men and women be able to purchase resident hunting and fishing licenses no matter where they are currently listing their state of residence. Heck, as far as I am concerned they should get a freebe while they serve.

Another law I would like to see is a federal hunting license good for all federal lands, i.e. BLM, National Grasslands, and National Forests. Why does a NM, AZ or CO and other state's residents get to hunt National Forest game at a price much lower than an out of state resident? This will stir up some debate!

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Phlash
I would like all active duty military service men and women be able to purchase resident hunting and fishing licenses no matter where they are currently listing their state of residence. Heck, as far as I am concerned they should get a freebe while they serve.

Another law I would like to see is a federal hunting license good for all federal lands, i.e. BLM, National Grasslands, and National Forests. Why does a NM, AZ or CO and other state's residents get to hunt National Forest game at a price much lower than an out of state resident? This will stir up some debate!

That last one is indeed good fodder for debate. The reason given by the states with a lot of federal lands is that the states (read:resident taxpayers) are responsible to pay for most of the wildlife management on those lands (GWs, biologists,etc.). Which is true and makes some sense. But there is no question that the states where those lands and "premium" species like mule deer, elk, sheep, bears, mountain goats, pronghorn, etc. reside are hammering non-residents with sky-high app/license/tag costs and very limited permit #s in many cases. Its a big problem for sure.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 09:19 PM

Turkey season need to be move back to mid March in the north Texas area.
I 2nd the no plugs and baited fields for dove. Keep limits the same though.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Such a season is now in place from 1st Sat in November through 1st Saturday in January.

More accurate description of what you want is to do away with archery/muzzleloader-only seasons so you can hunt 3 1/2 months with a rifle instead of just 2 1/4 months as you can now.

Read more clearly this time.

"Replace ALL of them with a SINGLE season using the harvest tool of your choice."

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 09:30 PM

Read more clearly this time.

"Replace ALL of them with a SINGLE season using the harvest tool of your choice."

In other words, give everyone the very same access to the resource no matter their choice of harvest method.

the state knows that only a small percentage of hunters use bows and muzzleloaders. if they eliminated those seasons and opened up to all weapons, more deer would be killed ultimately and it would affect the seasons and bag limits.

I'm all for keeping bow season bow season and if they want to have a muzzleloader season after general then its ok too

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 09:32 PM

i'll go a step further and get real controversial....

I think they need to disallow crossbow use during bow season unless you have a upper limb disability.

I'm not anti-crossbow but its not nearly as difficult to kill a deer with a crossbow and scope than it is with a vertical bow
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 09:32 PM

The national forest doe permits...Would like to take a doe after archery season in national forest.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 09:38 PM

the state knows that only a small percentage of hunters use bows and muzzleloaders. if they eliminated those seasons and opened up to all weapons, more deer would be killed ultimately and it would affect the seasons and bag limits.

I'm all for keeping bow season bow season and if they want to have a muzzleloader season after general then its ok too

If the primary purpose of any hunting season is to keep game populations in check, what exactly is the purpose of creating separate seasons based on harvest methods? As it stands now, bag limits are the same, no matter what method you choose. If the multiple seasons we have now were replaced with a single season, there would be no reason to change bag limits from what they are now.

The answer? Select hunter groups asked for restricted access to the resource, which wildlife agencies initially granted after seeing it as a means to generate additional license revenue. And of course, equipment manufacturers encouraged both groups along the way.

If only the fishing equipment manufacturers could find a way to get everyone to follow the same course. In some states, they already have.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 10:58 PM

I don't think the primary purpose of hunting season is to keep populations in check, its to preserve populations in general.
Posted By: rmp

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/27/17 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I guess it's technically not a hunting law, but one game law I would change would the the minimum size limit on speckled trout. Too many small trout that are hooked badly or dropped on the deck have to be thrown back. That is a dead trout and I think it should count towards a persons limit.

I'd also like to see an earlier deer season for upper coastal counties. The rut down here starts the end of August and is well over by the start of the regular season. You can catch the end of it during bow season, but it's well off peak.

At least allow one undersized trout.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 12:11 AM

If the primary purpose of any hunting season is to keep game populations in check, what exactly is the purpose of creating separate seasons based on harvest methods? As it stands now, bag limits are the same, no matter what method you choose. If the multiple seasons we have now were replaced with a single season, there would be no reason to change bag limits from what they are now.

The answer? Select hunter groups asked for restricted access to the resource, which wildlife agencies initially granted after seeing it as a means to generate additional license revenue. And of course, equipment manufacturers encouraged both groups along the way.

If only the fishing equipment manufacturers could find a way to get everyone to follow the same course. In some states, they already have.

You can't discuss this subject with him.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 12:13 AM

I don't think the primary purpose of hunting season is to keep populations in check, its to preserve populations in general.

Depends on your perspective perhaps. Some see the glass as being half empty, while others see it being half full.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:09 AM

Let youth shoot under 13 inch deer in AR counties on on youth weekend and the last two weeks of the season.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:10 AM

I think they need to disallow crossbow use during bow season unless you have a upper limb disability.

I'm not anti-crossbow but its not nearly as difficult to kill a deer with a crossbow and scope than it is with a vertical bow

Why stop with crossbows? Let's get rid of all modern equipment during bow season. Stick and string only because we all know how easy compounds are compared to traditional equipment. Because before the argument of the crossbow we had the very same argument about compounds. I'm good with a bow only season but there can't be selective reasoning based on what you think is too easy. Stick and string only shooting instinctively with no gadgets. This gets rid of 95% of the wannabe archers.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Let youth shoot under 13 inch deer in AR counties on on youth weekend and the last two weeks of the season.

Kids need to realize there are rules in life and sometimes the answer is NO. Kids these days (parents fault) think they are entitled to what they want! Sap I understand your reasoning because my first buck was a 4 pt. I will remember that buck forever. But back then we couldn't shoot doe and for my first couple of years that was all I saw. I wanted to shoot a dang doe so bad but l couldn't. I learned to be patient and became a better hunter and finally got a buck. After that my dad wouldn't let me shoot a buck unless it was bigger than the 4pt. I gradually climbed the hunting ladder to bigger bucks.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:21 AM

Get rid of the 13" AR.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Curtis
Get rid of the 13" AR.
horrible idea

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: BOONER

Why stop with crossbows? Let's get rid of all modern equipment during bow season. Stick and string only because we all know how easy compounds are compared to traditional equipment. Because before the argument of the crossbow we had the very same argument about compounds. I'm good with a bow only season but there can't be selective reasoning based on what you think is too easy. Stick and string only shooting instinctively with no gadgets. This gets rid of 95% of the wannabe archers.

Yeah, except no one ever had an issue with compounds after the first little acceptance curve was over. So that's just a new made up "talking point" without merit. A straw man.

Why stop at crossbows? That's simple. Crossbows are a whole different weapon in every respect from manual draw bows. Not having to: 1)draw the weapon and 2)hold the draw in order to execute the shot makes them much more akin to a short-range rifle than real archery equipment. Actual bowhunters know this fact and accept the challenges/limitations as a given. All crossbows being allowed did was allow rifle hunters who aren't willing to accept the challenges and limitations of bowhunting to hunt during bow season. It was promoted, lobbied for and passed largely as a result of the crossbow manufacturers clout.

Now folks like Dan just want to eliminate the bow season entirely - using the allowance of crossbows as a lever to do so.

Archery season is open to everyone willing to do what it takes to bowhunt. Not being willing to do so is not a reason or justification to claim "discrimination" - because there is none. But, as with many who want what others have without accepting what it takes to get it, the whining sounds pretty familiar.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:49 AM

Depends on your perspective perhaps. Some see the glass as being half empty, while others see it being half full.

Places are either under populated, at carrying capacity or over populated. its not a matter of perspective its about numbers and facts

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:50 AM

Kids need to realize there are rules in life and sometimes the answer is NO. Kids these days (parents fault) think they are entitled to what they want! Sap I understand your reasoning because my first buck was a 4 pt. I will remember that buck forever. But back then we couldn't shoot doe and for my first couple of years that was all I saw. I wanted to shoot a dang doe so bad but l couldn't. I learned to be patient and became a better hunter and finally got a buck. After that my dad wouldn't let me shoot a buck unless it was bigger than the 4pt. I gradually climbed the hunting ladder to bigger bucks.

Amen to this . I was in the same boat you were in and it didn't hurt me nonwe

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:53 AM

Amen to this . I was in the same boat you were in and it didn't hurt me nonwe
my reasoning is not only to allow the kid more opportunities to shoot a cull buck but to allow the land owner or lease member a way to help manage his or her bucks without going MLD. I don't believe in participation trophies.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:57 AM

Yeah, except no one ever had an issue with compounds after the first little acceptance curve was over. So that's just a new made up "talking point" without merit. A straw man. Crossbows are a whole different weapon in every respect from manual draw bows. Not having to: 1)draw the weapon and 2)hold the draw in order to execute the shot makes them much more akin to a short-range rifle than real archery equipment. Actual bowhunters know this fact and accept the challenges/limitations as a given. All crossbows being allowed did was allow rifle hunters who aren't willing to accept the challenges and limitations of bowhunting to hunt during bow season. It was promoted, lobbied for and passed largely as a result of the crossbow manufacturers clout.

Now folks like Dan just want to eliminate the bow season entirely - using the allowance of crossbows as a lever to do so.

Archery season is open to everyone willing to do what it takes to bowhunt. Not being willing to do so is not a reason or justification to claim "discrimination" - because there is none.

Nog I know people that still don't accept compounds. News Flash....Just because YOU are ok with it doesn't make it ok. As for holding the weapon at full draw that's a joke as well! Lock-a-draw....look it up! I have hunted with a crossbow and for me it wasn't easy! The damn things are so top heavy you need a rest to hold them steady and are awkward to maneuver. I sold it because I didn't enjoy shooting it and I shoot my compound better. That's just me and the guy I sold it to had the same opinion and it's now for sale again. That's just 2 real life experiences that don't match the so much easier to use argument. I think as long as the challenge is playing the wind and getting up close and personal then I'm not going to judge them for slinging an arrow from a horizontal bow instead of a vertical one. It's an archery season and both weapons are archery!

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:59 AM

I love the 13" rule. What it really did was make it so my daughters' first bucks didn't have to be goatheads like mine and my buddies' were.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:02 AM

Shouldn't need a hunting license for exotics; hogs, axis, etc
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:08 AM

I wish they would limit the number of hunters to each County. Permanent residents and landowners get first shot at tags and the remainder would be up for draw.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: LonestarCobra
I wish they would limit the number of hunters to each County. Permanent residents and landowners get first shot at tags and the remainder would be up for draw.

That won't happen in a state with 5,000,000+ deer with an annual harvest of 500,000 plus or minus. Just not necessary.
Posted By: Erny

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:17 AM

Get rid of weapon specific seasons and just have deer season. Oct-feb

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: LonestarCobra

What? Why would that make any sense ?

I'd be willing to bet 75% of landowners don't shoot deer on their own place, and a lot of heavily hunted counties arnt populated by a large number of hunters.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:36 AM

Appearantly you have not set foot in the counties I live and own land in. There are plenty of people taking limits off of 50-100 acre pieces of land. I will explain a situation I have. My West fence has seven different landowners join it. Each piece of land varies in size from 40-105 acres. Each piece has at least 6-8 hunters on it all year and they flat out shoot the heck out of everything they see, and some of them bring guests in as well. They have bought and paid for two calves and a mule they have shot of mine when their drunken judgement is bad. They were on my side of the fence. They throw trash on the county road and drive like a bat out of hell. All but one of these places are leased to the hunters, all from other counties. The OP asked what our individual wish was and this was mine. Everybody is going to wish for what benefits themselves the most.
Posted By: 280AI

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:43 AM

No high fences.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: 280AI
No high fences.

Oh no! popcorn

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: 280AI
No high fences.

I wondered how long it would be lol popcorn
Posted By: rifleman

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:54 AM

Allow a 2 week spotlight whitetail season.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:54 AM

How 'bout no fences? 'Same level of logic.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

No, it's not. Low fences are "no fences" as far as it concerns deer and all other wildlife for that matter.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
I would trade all of November for half of February on duck hunting season.

Amen, move dove season back as well. We have hou sands of dove around us in December/January.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:06 AM

No, it's not. Low fences are "no fences" as far as it concerns deer and all other wildlife for that matter.

Buffalo would disagree.
Posted By: maximum

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:07 AM

i'd like to see nilgai put into every county.
or some big bodied tiny antlered animal so the
meat hunters could have theirs, and the bragging
rights folks could have theirs and the feuding might stop.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:11 AM

Buffalo would disagree.

Well, buffalo (American bison) are not wildlife in Texas.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:13 AM

Buffalo would disagree.

I don't believe pronghorn jump fences do they?

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:15 AM

Pronghorn sometimes jump them but mostly go under/through them. Fences don't confine them.

Net wire fences can be an issue, but are seldom used.

All of which misses the point. HFs are by and large used for WTs in Texas.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:16 AM

Buffalo would disagree.

Take down all of the fences and I bet they would be... again.
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:17 AM

blinds and or feeders must be no closer than 50 yrds from the neighboring fence.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:21 AM

Buffalo would disagree.

Actually buffalo don't care about ranch fencing. Ask any rancher in Wyoming or Montana when the buffalo decide to migrate out of Yellowstone. They simply lower their heads and mow barbed wire or net fence down and trample it. I have hunted on a couple of ranches that have this problem. Luckily most of those ranches are large enough to support the buffalo and their sheep and cattle.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:23 AM

Talk about low fences that enclose 99+% of rural lands in the entire country is just a silly distraction.

Banning HFs is not. Many states do. The two have zero in common.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: huntwest

Buffalo would disagree.

Actually buffalo don't care about ranch fencing. Ask any rancher in Wyoming or Montana when the buffalo decide to migrate out of Yellowstone. They simply lower their heads and mow barbed wire or net fence down and trample it. I have hunted on a couple of ranches that have this problem. Luckily most of those ranches are large enough to support the buffalo and their sheep and cattle.

Buffalo are fenced in all over the place. I can drive down the road and point out dozens of places.
Facts are not a distraction.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:38 AM

There is a slight difference between livestock buffalo and free-ranging wild bison. Those are the facts.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:51 AM

There is a slight difference between livestock buffalo and free-ranging wild bison. Those are the facts.

Wrong. difference is in migration habitat due to Mother Nature and will to survive winter

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:52 AM

Pronghorn sometimes jump them but mostly go under/through them. Fences don't confine them.

Really....seldom used??? Now that's funny

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

If you think there is a big pronghorn/fence issue, you are living in a fantasy world.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 04:07 AM

If you think there is a big pronghorn/fence issue, you are living in a fantasy world.

Depends on snow fall....RMEF and Mule deer foundation sure do spend a lot of money cleaning up old netwire fences....but guess they ain't an issue like you say....

.. but pardon me while I laugh at the seldom used part more...

Oh why did Montana get so mad at Ted Turner..
Posted By: therancher

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Erny
Get rid of weapon specific seasons and just have deer season. Oct-feb

That is what you get with MLD. It's good.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 04:22 AM

"Net wire is seldom used"... Man, that is as deep and rich BS as I've ever heard.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 04:26 AM

Oh, and for the record, the shotgun plug and no baiting laws, when you have a bag limit, are the most ridiculous laws on the books.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: therancher

"Net wire is seldom used"... Man, that is as deep and rich BS as I've ever heard.

Isn't that fairly accurate for most of the state where Pronghorns are located?
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 09:52 AM

Get rid of the 13" AR.
horrible idea

Best idea yet
Posted By: 280AI

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 12:28 PM

Make AR 14"
Posted By: don k

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 12:52 PM

I would like to see them outlaw all baiting and supplemental feeding of deer. I would also like to see all elevated and manufactured ground blinds outlawed. Also no Deer hunting with anything larger than 223's.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:08 PM

Wrong. difference is in migration habitat due to Mother Nature and will to survive winter

So you actually believe a pasture buffalo from the sale barn and a wild bison from the Henry's in Utah are the same, huh?

Wow.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Isn't that fairly accurate for most of the state where Pronghorns are located?

Yes. I said it though. So it must be challenged by a couple. smile

There are no problems with pronghorn and fences out west to speak of. Never have been. Which was the subject.
Posted By: Stub

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: 10pointers
Get rid of the 13" AR.
horrible idea

Best idea yet

In general I like the concept of the 13" AR rule, it needs some type of modification to allow the harvest of mature deer that are inside the limit. Nothing irritates me more than seeing a 5 Year old tall thin tined 6 point that is inside the 13 and not be able to cull it hammer

Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 01:49 PM

Allow the 13 inch rule to have exceptions. Such as if a deer reaches a certain age and not going to get any bigger and also a kid under a certain age can shoot one under 13 inches
Posted By: rickym

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Get rid of the 13" AR.
horrible idea

Best idea yet

In general I like the concept of the 13" AR rule, it needs some type of modification to allow the harvest of mature deer that are inside the limit. Nothing irritates me more than seeing a 5 Year old tall thin tined 6 point that is inside the 13 and not be able to cull it hammer

We need 3-4 years of 4 points on one side is legal. Then go back to 13" Though that wont help you kill a 6 point but I think it will help get rid of alot of narrow racked mature deer. Sure some young ones will get shot, but thats on the hunter who thinks a 2 year old was 5.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:24 PM

If there was a good way to police it, I wouldn't mind changing the AR restriction to an age restriction.

For all of you who say 'let a kid shoot anything', aren't most of you against participation trophies? Isn't that exactly what you're requesting?

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:38 PM

Folks can't age deer. Any law that assumes they can would be a mess.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:40 PM

Agreed times 10. You would have to build bigger jails.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 02:58 PM

I could get behind this! up

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:00 PM

We already know they're all between 2 1/2 & 3 1/2! At least on here anyway! peep

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:18 PM

If there was a good way to police it, I wouldn't mind changing the AR restriction to an age restriction.

For all of you who say 'let a kid shoot anything', aren't most of you against participation trophies? Isn't that exactly what you're requesting?

If a kid is 7 or 8 years old and by the time they are 10 and still hasn't gotten a shot a buck 13 inches or over that can discourage them a pretty good bit whether they are seeing a bunch of deer or not and they might not want to hunt anymore. Maybe just one kid gets one deer under 13 inches. Not 1 per year but 1 period just to give them a taste of what it's like.
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:21 PM

The regulation (or set of regulations rather) I would change would be to implement a system whereby...when a piece of land (regardless of size) is high fenced, all of the animals within the confines of that fence (regardless of whether they are native or non-native) become the property of the landowner to do with as he wishes (with the exception of endangered/protected species). This should also include the ability to trap/sell/hunt/cull/shoot whatever game species are on the property (including Whitetail Deer) without any regulations whatsoever (no seasons, no bag limits, no restrictions). Let the landowner decide how to best manage his property/herd. Much of southern Africa operates this way, and they have thriving herds of native game managed this way.

I know this will not be popular with many of you, but so be it....it is my opinion. Carry on duel

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
The regulation (or set of regulations rather) I would change would be to implement a system whereby...when a piece of land (regardless of size) is high fenced, all of the animals within the confines of that fence (regardless of whether they are native or non-native) become the property of the landowner to do with as he wishes (with the exception of endangered/protected species). This should also include the ability to trap/sell/hunt/cull/shoot whatever game species are on the property (including Whitetail Deer) without any regulations whatsoever (no seasons, no bag limits, no restrictions). Let the landowner decide how to best manage his property/herd. Much of southern Africa operates this way, and they have thriving herds of native game managed this way.

I know this will not be popular with many of you, but so be it....it is my opinion. Carry on duel

I agree with this 100%
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 04:11 PM

One general season, choose your weapon.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 05:50 PM

I have nothing against high fence, have hunted behind two of them!

But why would you give such blatant powers to High Fence only?
I get it that theoretically nothing should come in or out of a HF, so if they shoot everything up their tough chit or they can buy more animals. What if they do not have that kind of money anymore? Lower the fence to let the free range game in for now then raise fence and shoot them up?

Quite a while back my X brother in law who has a HF place bought a bunch of free range doe from the nail ranch that were netted by helicopter. So what's to stop a rich person behind a HF from shooting all of his and continue to buy captured free range deer and deplete the supply of those free range deer in any given area?

I am talking only native (indigenous) game animals like White tail deer, dove ,quail etc.
Exotics, hogs, yotes etc. shoot all you want whenever wherever up

Posted By: PKnTX

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 06:15 PM

The reason it is not popular with many is because it is very self serving.
In particular the "without any regulations whatsoever" is nonsense.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: PKnTX

The reason it is not popular with many is because it is very self serving.
In particular the "without any regulations whatsoever" is nonsense.

Lol I am always amazed that so many HF proponents accuse others of "jealousy", "wanting what others have", "not willing to work/manage", "elitists" and on and on and on....

When the reality is they want to pen wild animals up so they can have them all to themselves! The "we should own them" deal is just the extension of it. You can cut the irony with a dang knife. smile

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 08:50 PM

Lol I am always amazed that so many HF proponents accuse others of "jealousy", "wanting what others have", "not willing to work/manage", "elitists" and on and on and on....

When the reality is they want to pen wild animals up so they can have them all to themselves! The "we should own them" deal is just the extension of it. You can cut the irony with a dang knife. smile

No question, there are those, who for good reason, throw up a high fence to protect their financial investments. Consider the owner of a 500 acre tract who feeds year round and has a neighbor hunting an adjacent 5 acre tract. The neighbor throws up a feeder next to their fence just two weeks before the season opens with obvious intentions of drawing deer from his neighbor's land.

Just another day in the continued evolution of the sport.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 09:21 PM

No question, there are those, who for good reason, throw up a high fence to protect their financial investments. Consider the owner of a 500 acre tract who feeds year round and has a neighbor hunting an adjacent 5 acre tract. The neighbor throws up a feeder next to their fence just two weeks before the season opens with obvious intentions of drawing deer from his neighbor's land.

Just another day in the continued evolution of the sport.

Why should anyone care if the 5 acre guy did throw up a feeder? The 500 acre rancher doesn't own those deer.
I have a neighbor that owns one acre and kills his deer out of his kitchen window. Why should I begrudge that man legally killing deer?
I really can't believe all of the whining over someone putting a feeder on a fence line. It's just a deer.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I really can't believe all of the whining over someone putting a feeder on a fence line. It's just a deer.

No one owns all the fish in a public lake, but that doesn't make it ethical to throw you hook right next to another fisherman's line.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 10:04 PM

No one owns all the fish in a public lake, but that doesn't make it ethical to throw you hook right next to another fisherman's line.

I guess you never fish any brush piles that you didn't put out yourself, or fish around someone else's dock. Just because someone improves habitat doesn't mean they should own the game.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 10:11 PM

I get it that theoretically nothing should come in or out of a HF, so if they shoot everything up their tough chit or they can buy more animals. What if they do not have that kind of money anymore? Lower the fence to let the free range game in for now then raise fence and shoot them up?

Quite a while back my X brother in law who has a HF place bought a bunch of free range doe from the nail ranch that were netted by helicopter. So what's to stop a rich person behind a HF from shooting all of his and continue to buy captured free range deer and deplete the supply of those free range deer in any given area?

I am talking only native (indigenous) game animals like White tail deer, dove ,quail etc.

You need to understand how TTT works. They are not depleting anything they are removing excess animals off the ranch

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 10:14 PM

Look, everyone would like a "level playing field". I get that. Two points:

1)They are wild animals. There is no way to make everybody happy when it comes to wild animals. No way. Period. One man's "level" is another man's "unlevel". Life ain't "fair" in everybody's eyes. Accept it and get over the idea it can/will be.

2)Penning wild animals in for one guy to the exclusion of all others ain't "level". It's taking control of a public resource to the exclusion of everyone else. That ain't "fair". That ain't "leveling the playing field". That's tilting it completely in one guy's favor. Period.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 10:50 PM

I'm happy to elaborate....and there are perfectly logical answers to all of your questions.

1) Why give these "blatant powers" to high fence only? Simple....because a high fenced property is a closed system (or at least should be for the most part) that requires more control and intensive management to manage properly. In this situation, the landowner usually knows better than anyone, what needs to be done to properly manage the animals on his land. Now in theory, this is why they have the MLD program for Whitetail Deer (to more intensively manage your herd). Unfortunately, there is also a certain level of politics involved....each TPDW biologist basically has full authority over who gets approved for the MLD program in their area, and often times they are EXTREMELY biased and irrational in their implementation of this authority. (A good friend of mine owns a high fenced property with only Whitetails on it....and his biologist flat out told him that if he put one single exotic animal of any kind on it, he would kick him off MLD...which is utter BS)

2) You cannot just "lower the fence and let the free range game in". That's called "trapping" and it's illegal to trap Whitetail Deer without a permit.

3) Similarly to the above point, nobody can just trap or net deer from a helicopter. You must first obtain a TTT permit and those permits are only approved by the state for taking EXCESS deer. In other words, they are not depleting the free range deer, they are taking the extras to an area with fewer deer.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 11:05 PM

True very redundant. I'd add have the aggregate limit for the group, not per person... if my wife and I are hunting, 30 should be the limit, so she could have her 20 and me have my 10

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 11:07 PM

Places are either under populated, at carrying capacity or over populated. its not a matter of perspective its about numbers and facts

Numbers, facts, TPWD, regulations, science..... these just never go together. Antler restrictions are a poor solution to a problem based on poor science, that TPWD knows is wrong but can't afford to change now.

My ONE change, check stations for Whitetail Deer. That is the only way to really know what's out there and what's being taken.

The census taking and MLD and other crap is a farce; as is the county based management...

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Numbers, facts, TPWD, regulations, science..... these just never go together. Antler restrictions are a poor solution to a problem based on poor science, that TPWD knows is wrong but can't afford to change now.

My ONE change, check stations for Whitetail Deer. That is the only way to really know what's out there and what's being taken.

The census taking and MLD and other crap is a farce; as is the county based management...

Speaking of facts, you state the rather factually, but it sounds like opinion to me. Can you elaborate further?

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 11:31 PM

ARs have overall been a huge success. Hardly anyone even tries to dispute that anymore. Not perfect, but nothing is.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 02/28/17 11:37 PM

maybe cormoerants, but absolute not hawks, like snakes they keep the rodent population down. and why for geeze sakes road runners???

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: colt45
maybe cormoerants, but absolute not hawks, like snakes they keep the rodent population down. and why for geeze sakes road runners???

Hawks kill too many quail

Roadrunners....just cause

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 12:14 AM

Speaking of facts, you state the rather factually, but it sounds like opinion to me. Can you elaborate further?

I've looked it up and posted it alot. Don't have the inclination to do so, but there was a TPWD scientific review several years ago that said exactly this... their "data", often relied on 8 deer reported in other crimes by Wardens or highway patrol in some counties; they based it all on counties, ignoring soils, deer populations, sub-species,

I did a FOIA request for their data, it came garbled, had to try again, it was horrific what they were actually using. Even their own sanctioned peer review pointed these things out.

If age alone made for larger healthier deer, they should all be B&C by now.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

I've looked it up and posted it alot. Don't have the inclination to do so, but there was a TPWD scientific review several years ago that said exactly this... their "data", often relied on 8 deer reported in other crimes by Wardens or highway patrol in some counties; they based it all on counties, ignoring soils, deer populations, sub-species,

I did a FOIA request for their data, it came garbled, had to try again, it was horrific what they were actually using. Even their own sanctioned peer review pointed these things out.

If age alone made for larger healthier deer, they should all be B&C by now.

Genetics play into it.

Some areas won't grow large deer no matter what.

It's about age structure in the herd not antler size

Tpwd doesent profit at all from areas that have big deer or small deer. They are managing a resource

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 12:36 AM

Shooting something just cause is the most stupidest thing I have ever heard. You never shoot something just cause. That's not hunting that's just killing and there is no use for it. Shooting something just cause is just sorriness IMO.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Aggieman775

Shooting something just cause is the most stupidest thing I have ever heard. You never shoot something just cause. That's not hunting that's just killing and there is no use for it. Shooting something just cause is just sorriness IMO.

Killing is fun, too. That's a use, wouldn't you say?
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 01:03 AM

I kill a ton of tank turtles every year because I like killing turtles. The sun on my face, a light breeze and a log full of fish eating turtles is my idea of heaven.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 01:04 AM

I'll x3 that all hawks and roadrunners should be shot on sight. Cormorants should be seasonal entertainment for everyone on the lake. When I lived on lake Palestine my 87 year old neighbor kept a scratch pad on his balcony next to his 10/22. He killed 100's every year and still never made a dent.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 01:31 AM

I must be sorry then.

Cause a accurate .22, accord beverage and a tank full of turtles is pretty close to heaven

And I didn't say open a hunting season on hawks and roadrunners either, I just said be allowed to shoot them. Hunting for them would be pretty lackluster

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
[quote=txtrophy85]That we can shoot predatory birds like road runners, hawks, cormorants, etc

Tank turtles every year because I like killing turtles. The sun on my face, a light breeze and a log full of fish eating turtles is my idea of heaven.

That's the reason fish eating turtles. I am a fisherman and I have killed my fair share of turtles because they were over populated in my cove and competing with the fish. Also seen them eating baby bass so that's why I shoot them. But a road runner? What does that do to anything accept worms?
Posted By: Erny

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 01:51 AM

You saw a turtle catch and eat a bass?

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 01:54 AM

Turtles, hogs, cormorants? OK.

Roadrunners, hawks? Nah...
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 01:57 AM

I shoot turtles because it's fun and because their turtles. The best ones are the females full of eggs, a very satisfying yellow colored mist floats away afterwards.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 02:11 AM

Roadrunners and hawks are hell on quail. That's why they should be shot on sight.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 02:13 AM

They have fast turtles in Pittsburg TX.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 02:14 AM

Baby bass meaning just hatched off of the bed. Fry and fingerling size

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 03:10 AM

That's the reason fish eating turtles. I am a fisherman and I have killed my fair share of turtles because they were over populated in my cove and competing with the fish. Also seen them eating baby bass so that's why I shoot them. But a road runner? What does that do to anything accept worms?

They eat snakes. I like snakes.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 03:10 AM

I don't think I'd shoot a roadrunner, but there is no doubt they're hell on baby quail and horned toads

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 03:37 AM

I don't think I'd shoot a roadrunner, but there is no doubt they're hell on baby quail and horned toads

They are pretty cool critters. Sometimes, on location, we have them pay us a visit. I've seen them rummage through toolboxes and perch on pickup mirrors.
Posted By: MClark

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 04:29 AM

Burros
Not so much a problem in Texas but in the western states they are a scourge. The Feds decided in the 70's they and feral horses need to be protected, the tree huggers think they are native species! Oh, they are so cute. A major cull is in order.
Burros foul the waterholes and drive off native animals, generally nasty creatures.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: MClark
Burros
Not so much a problem in Texas but in the western states they are a scourge. The Feds decided in the 70's they and feral horses need to be protected, the tree huggers think they are native species! Oh, they are so cute. A major cull is in order.
Burros foul the waterholes and drive off native animals, generally nasty creatures.

Amen. Those jokers were everywhere during my AZ sheep hunt in 2014. Why they are not simply eradicated is a mystery to me.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 01:35 PM

Protection of Dolphins(they need thinning)and baiting for migratory(if you have to stop at 6 why does it matter)

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 01:38 PM

I'm happy to elaborate....and there are perfectly logical answers to all of your questions.

1) Why give these "blatant powers" to high fence only? Simple....because a high fenced property is a closed system (or at least should be for the most part) that requires more control and intensive management to manage properly. In this situation, the landowner usually knows better than anyone, what needs to be done to properly manage the animals on his land. Now in theory, this is why they have the MLD program for Whitetail Deer (to more intensively manage your herd). Unfortunately, there is also a certain level of politics involved....each TPDW biologist basically has full authority over who gets approved for the MLD program in their area, and often times they are EXTREMELY biased and irrational in their implementation of this authority. (A good friend of mine owns a high fenced property with only Whitetails on it....and his biologist flat out told him that if he put one single exotic animal of any kind on it, he would kick him off MLD...which is utter BS)

2) You cannot just "lower the fence and let the free range game in". That's called "trapping" and it's illegal to trap Whitetail Deer without a permit.

3) Similarly to the above point, nobody can just trap or net deer from a helicopter. You must first obtain a TTT permit and those permits are only approved by the state for taking EXCESS deer. In other words, they are not depleting the free range deer, they are taking the extras to an area with fewer deer.

Good response Wade up

One would think that it would be easier to manage a HF property because for the most part you know what animals you have and what it takes to manage them versus a LF property where you have so many more variables on what is coming in and out of your property and how to effectively game plan for it scratch
Posted By: Dien

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 06:07 PM

Red Snapper season should be number 1
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: MClark
Burros

Amen. Those jokers were everywhere during my AZ sheep hunt in 2014. Why they are not simply eradicated is a mystery to me.

The documentary Unbranded talks about this and is are ally good watch, it's on Netflix.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 09:16 PM

I have a little different take. Regardless of the acreage if a person wants to high fence that person has to pay the state one time for every deer they fence out of the free range. If someone poaches a deer they get charged a fee for that deer, I think someone that high fences should have to pay the same fee. The landowner would be responsible for doing a fly over survey after the fence is up and would be billed for the animals he has entrapped. After that I think eland slayers idea is fine. But only AFTER the person high fencing the ranch buys the deer.
Although I am definitely not pro poacher I find it ironic that if I shoot a deer off someones property I am fined and have to pay a fee for the deer yet someone can put up a high fence and get all he can trap for free. And it is BS that high fences don't trap deer. They do it one time for sure.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 11:02 PM

[/quote]
I have a little different take. Regardless of the acreage if a person wants to high fence that person has to pay the state one time for every deer they fence out of the free range. If someone poaches a deer they get charged a fee for that deer, I think someone that high fences should have to pay the same fee. The landowner would be responsible for doing a fly over survey after the fence is up and would be billed for the animals he has entrapped. After that I think eland slayers idea is fine. But only AFTER the person high fencing the ranch buys the deer.
Although I am definitely not pro poacher I find it ironic that if I shoot a deer off someones property I am fined and have to pay a fee for the deer yet someone can put up a high fence and get all he can trap for free. And it is BS that high fences don't trap deer. They do it one time for sure. [/quot]

I think this a very interesting idea. Valid points!

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 11:05 PM

And what would that per deer fee be?

And how would you accurately count them?

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 11:12 PM

If I'm not mistaken the cost of wild game is often
figured by the state when restitution is needed.

And population surveys are done all the time.

I like this idea more and more.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 11:24 PM

[/quote]
Although I am definitely not pro poacher I find it ironic that if I shoot a deer off someones property I am fined and have to pay a fee for the deer yet someone can put up a high fence and get all he can trap for free. And it is BS that high fences don't trap deer. They do it one time for sure. [/quot]

I think this a very interesting idea. Valid points!

The price per deer better be cheaper than the cheapest stocker whitetails from a breeder. Otherwise the landowners will invite everyone they know over to hunt the place into the ground prior to putting up the fence. That would ruin it for the neighbors more so than just letting them fence in the animals.

I agree with the earlier comments though. Once a fence is up I could care less what they do to the game on the other side of it. Those animals are no longer available to everyone around so what difference does it make if they wipe them all out in one year?

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 11:28 PM

And what would that per deer fee be?

And how would you accurately count them?

The fee would be the exact same fee the state puts on deer when someone poaches one. They claim that is the costs of raising that deer. It is a in house published list. go to the TPWD site and look under Pentax ties and restitution it will explain it to you.The fee does not include the law breaking penalties just the animal cost.

You count them using aerial counting in the winter when the foliage is the least. That is the way deer are counted. It isn't 100% accurate but you would be amazed at how close the pros get to the number.

This would work and raise some money for the state.
Of course existing hf ranches would not be included only going forward. If a guy doesn't want the deer put up the fence and get them out. That can be done also.
A large amount of high fence ranches cull and get numbers right and add breeder bucks but use native deer does. Why should they get those for free?

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 11:38 PM

Direct from TPWD site

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/01/17 11:41 PM

Although I am definitely not pro poacher I find it ironic that if I shoot a deer off someones property I am fined and have to pay a fee for the deer yet someone can put up a high fence and get all he can trap for free. And it is BS that high fences don't trap deer. They do it one time for sure.

I understand where you're coming from....but I will respectfully have to disagree. Just because the fence is taller, it does not mean the high fenced ranch is keeping any more of those deer away from their neighbors than a low fenced ranch....it just happens to be the same deer all the time instead of an ever-changing population of deer that are roaming from property to property.

To put it another way, if that ranch was low fenced instead of high fenced, you still would not have the ability to hunt those deer that live on the low fenced ranch....yet nobody is asking for the low fenced rancher to pay for any deer.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 12:15 AM

I understand where you're coming from....but I will respectfully have to disagree. Just because the fence is taller, it does not mean the high fenced ranch is keeping any more of those deer away from their neighbors than a low fenced ranch....it just happens to be the same deer all the time instead of an ever-changing population of deer that are roaming from property to property.

To put it another way, if that ranch was low fenced instead of high fenced, you still would not have the ability to hunt those deer that live on the low fenced ranch....yet nobody is asking for the low fenced rancher to pay for any deer.

Sounds just like a high fence arguement. You say it doesn't change the numbers but it does your arguement doesn't hold water. I can't even respectfully disagree with you on your point as it doesn't even make sense. If you have a high fence ranch it alters the natural ebb and flow of the deer herd. You also want complete ownership of the animals but don't want to pay for them because they could escape. Well anybody that owns cattle can say the same thing. And a high fence if kept up will keep 99% of the deer in so your disagreement doesn't hold water.
If you or anyone else are going to capture one single native whitetail that cannot free range it is now not available to other hunters period. See I don't have any problem with high fences or how you treat your land, my problem is the free deer.
Then after you get those deer you ask for and many times receive permits to kill the fire out of them to bet YOUR deer herd numbers balanced. So basically the HF has created too small of an environment and have to kill more than the county limit to keep from over crowding. This is especially true on the Up to about 1000 acre places.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 12:30 AM

I can't believe you said that with a straight face. Perhaps the most frustrating thing about HF proponents - they want everybody to act like it's not there. Own it, just own it. Sheesh.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 12:43 AM

Well this isn't a game law but how about we change the law that allows politicians to use $ generated by sportsman in the general fund instead of it being used for the betterment of fish and wildlife in this state.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 01:09 AM

i recently caught a road runner in a coyote foothold trap. Yote got the bird before I found it.

All that was left was a leg and feathers

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 02:02 AM

Sounds just like a high fence arguement. You say it doesn't change the numbers but it does your arguement doesn't hold water. I can't even respectfully disagree with you on your point as it doesn't even make sense. If you have a high fence ranch it alters the natural ebb and flow of the deer herd. You also want complete ownership of the animals but don't want to pay for them because they could escape. Well anybody that owns cattle can say the same thing. And a high fence if kept up will keep 99% of the deer in so your disagreement doesn't hold water.
If you or anyone else are going to capture one single native whitetail that cannot free range it is now not available to other hunters period. See I don't have any problem with high fences or how you treat your land, my problem is the free deer.
Then after you get those deer you ask for and many times receive permits to kill the fire out of them to bet YOUR deer herd numbers balanced. So basically the HF has created too small of an environment and have to kill more than the county limit to keep from over crowding. This is especially true on the Up to about 1000 acre places.

I'm not really sure why you don't seem to understand. Let's try putting it another way....

Let's just say that a given area of the state has an average deer density of approximately 1 deer per 10 acres. Let's also say that there is a 1,000 acre low fenced ranch in this area. Based on the average deer density, there are approximately 100 deer on this property at any given time. The deer which are on the 1,000 acre property are not available to be hunted/killed/watched/etc by the neighboring landowners.

Now let's say that same 1,000 acre ranch erects a high fence around those 100 deer. Nothing has changed on the neighboring properties....their deer densities are still the same, the quality of their hunting is still the same. It is simple logic. I'm not saying you have to agree with the concept, but the numbers do not lie.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 02:13 AM

Aerial counts are often only 30-40% of the herd.

So would you be ok with them only paying for 30% of the herd?

Also, how you gonna figured out the score for male deer?
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Txhunter65
Well this isn't a game law but how about we change the law that allows politicians to use $ generated by sportsman in the general fund instead of it being used for the betterment of fish and wildlife in this state.

up

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 03:13 AM

Eland your arguement is BS. But you miss my point. It doesnt matter if the deer on the ranch you high fence never leave it, they could and are considered the states and therefore the public deer. When you high fence them in they are no longer the public deer and you should pay for them.
I'll assure you if I could get enough people behind this I would pursue it. It is a double standard that the state has.
And double standard for people with your belief that you should own the deer. Name one other thing you think you should own that you don't have to pay for!

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 03:33 AM

Eland your arguement is BS. But you miss my point. It doesnt matter if the deer on the ranch you high fence never leave it, they could and are considered the states and therefore the public deer. When you high fence them in they are no longer the public deer and you should pay for them.
I'll assure you if I could get enough people behind this I would pursue it. It is a double standard that the state has.
And double standard for people with your belief that you should own the deer. Name one other thing you think you should own that you don't have to pay for!

Like I said....we will agree to disagree. Obviously you are having a difficult time understanding simple logic.

I can tell you are quite emotional about the topic....and I think that is probably clouding your thinking.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 12:17 PM

Aerial counts are often only 30-40% of the herd.

So would you be ok with them only paying for 30% of the herd?

Also, how you gonna figured out the score for male deer?

I'm an optimist so I think they should add 70%.

And I've never cared for antler score so have no opinion there.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 01:35 PM

[quote=huntwest][quote=Stub][quote=Eland Slayer]

Again I have nothing against HF. I do not understand your logic though on the above comments scratch

1. If the ranch is HF it is certainly keeping more if not all of those deer away from neighboring properties.
2. If that HF ranch was LF you might be able to hunt those deer because they have the ability to cross over onto your property.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 01:39 PM

The law should read "rights of parties in possession". If the deer is on your land at time of capture be it with a weapon, net, fence, etc then it's your deer.

The herd can be manged as a public resource with private ownership. The deer that are living in elands property are no more mine than the guy driving the ice cream truck

It's different in western states where you have herd migrations over long distances. Most deer in Texas live their whole lives in a few section area

I'm not pro or anti high fence but when people complain about a fence going up and capturing "their " deer and talk about having to pay the state restitution is reduculous

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 01:45 PM

Again I have nothing against HF. I do not understand your logic though on the above comments scratch

1. If the ranch is HF it is certainly keeping more if not all of those deer away from neighboring properties.
2. If that HF ranch was LF you might be able to hunt those deer because they have the ability to cross over onto your property.

There is no logic to those comments. Period. The HF keeps deer in as well as out. It stops deer movement/access cold (both ways). The HF is there for a reason. It is totally nonsensical to act as if it affects nothing.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 01:58 PM

There is no logic to those comments. Period. The HF keeps deer in as well as out. It stops deer movement/access cold (both ways). The HF is there for a reason. It is totally nonsensical to act as if it affects nothing.

I agree. Just think about the rut. When the does are getting chased and bucks are looking on a LF the deer are going all over the map in that area. Your property, my property even that guys property a couple miles down the road. When it's a HF where in the world are they going to go? They get to a fence and a doe hauling butt from a buck is just going to turn a corner and run the other way because the fence is an obstacle preventing those deer from coming on my property.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 02:02 PM

Yes, the high fence is keeping those PARTICULAR DEER away from the neighboring properties. That's not the point. The point is....whichever deer are on a low fenced ranch are unavailable to be hunted by the neighbors at any given time.

Let me try putting this one more way and then I'm done trying to reason....

Let's say you have a closed system of 100,000 acres (let's just call it an island for the sake of argument so we don't have to deal with another fence in the scenario. haha). On this island, there is a deer density of 1 deer per 10 acres. That means there are 10,000 deer on the island. Let's also say that in the center of this island, there is a 1,000 acre low fenced ranch. At any given time, there are going to be an average of 100 deer on this LOW FENCED property. Yes, these deer come and go and there are different groups of deer that can be there....but for the sake of this argument, there are ALWAYS 100 deer on this property. These deer are NOT AVAILABLE to be hunted by the neighboring landowners.

Now let's say that 1,000 acre ranch decides to put up a high fence. At the time the fence goes up, there are 100 deer on this ranch. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the ranch being low fenced and high fenced is this:

- On the low fenced ranch, the group of 100 deer that CANNOT BE HUNTED BY THE NEIGHBORS is always changing because of the deer coming and going across the boundary.

- On the high fenced ranch, the group of 100 deer that CANNOT BE HUNTED BY THE NEIGHBORS is always the same, because they are confined to the property.

In other words, nothing changed outside the fence. The remaining 99,000 acres of the island still have the same deer density of 1 deer per 10 acres. Nobody outside the fence will notice any difference in the quality of their hunting....UNLESS....they were one of the small landowners mooching off the efforts of the 1,000 acre neighbor, shooting whichever unfortunate deer that stepped across the fence onto their property.

If you don't like it, just say you don't like it....I can respect that. But don't sit here and try to tell me that my scenario "doesn't hold water" or "doesn't make sense" or "is BS" because it is simple math and logic. My guess is that if someone still resists this idea....then they either have a hard time with logic.....or they are whining because they are the little guy next to the big guy, shooting WAY more deer than they should be, and don't want their golden goose taken away. In which case I say.....get over it!!

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 02:04 PM

I would have liked to have all WT off my property when it was HFed. But that was not possible unless all the WT in a 5 mile radius of here were exterminated at the time of the fencing. It is not my fault that some were destined to have to be thought of as the dreaded "HF Deer". But the name calling must not be that bad in the WT community as they keep jumping in to get out of the LF land.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 02:18 PM

[quote=Stub][quote=Eland Slayer]

Slippery slope with wanting to charge a one time fee for deer trapped on a HF, that would open Pandora's Box.
First you would have to estimate the amount of trapped deer, you would have to know the estimated deer density for that area. Example lets say 10 deer per 100 acres. 1,000 acres theoretically would have 100 deer. Minus the % of deer spooked off the property while erecting the HF lets say 40%. So using this example the estimated deer captured would be 60 on a 1,000 HF property.

Here is the other side of that coin, what if the state says okay since we are charging HF landowners a one time fee for the estimated amount of deer on their property, we should also charge LF a one time fee scratch

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 02:55 PM

I own 2 high fenced ranches and one low fenced ranch and I wholeheartedly agree with you that I should pay for the states deer in exchange for calling all the deer on my place MY deer and being granted ownership of those deer.

However, you are being less creative than you need to be. There are many ways to skin any cat. For example:

First, I don't WANT any of the states native deer on one of my high fenced ranches. I should be able to remedy this any number of ways.

1. Why can't I lease it to hunters who pay both me AND the state to hunt (with the specific purpose of eradicating the states vermin from my property)? I have skin in the game because the states deer are eating the resources I own. 50:50 split until all native deer are gone or mostly gone?

2. I could either leave a side down or lower a side and chopper and bait animals onto the neighbors place (if the neighbor is willing). I think the state should share in this cost since their deer are tresspassing on and consuming my surface resources.

3. Let the state put my place on their public hunting program for a year. One season and call it good.

NP is again (as usual) FOS about how the state views aerial surveys. In order to establish harvest rates they assume you see 100% of the deer from the air. We all know that's bogus but the state isn't operating with a full deck.

So, the last option would be run a survey from a state approved chopper service and pay the state HALF the value of the deer. Remember, those stinking state owned vermin are eating my resources. That needs to be fairly compensated.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 03:05 PM

I would like the possibility of an AR cull tag. I would be willing to spend a little more per tag or be able to purchase separate on top of the regular license.

This tag would allow you to take a typically illegal deer. At my current lease we have atleast 3 bucks that are old old and nothing can be done.

I feel this would be both a win for the hunter/manager trying to improve the gene pool and a win for the state.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I would like the possibility of an AR cull tag. I would be will I'm to spend a little more per tag or be ab,e to purchase separate on top of the regular license.

This tag would allow you to take a typically illegal deer. At my current lease we have atleast 3 bucks that are old old and nothing can be done.

Excellent idea.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 03:11 PM

I would like the possibility of an AR cull tag. I would be will I'm to spend a little more per tag or be ab,e to purchase separate on top of the regular license.

And/or remove AR restrictions for youth hunting. Better yet give a week each year where AR's don't apply so that bucks like you are describing can be shot.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 03:29 PM

Yes, the high fence is keeping those PARTICULAR DEER away from the neighboring properties. That's not the point. The point is....whichever deer are on a low fenced ranch are unavailable to be hunted by the neighbors at any given time.

Let's say you have a closed system of 100,000 acres (let's just call it an island for the sake of argument so we don't have to deal with another fence in the scenario. haha). On this island, there is a deer density of 1 deer per 10 acres. That means there are 10,000 deer on the island. Let's also say that in the center of this island, there is a 1,000 acre low fenced ranch. At any given time, there are going to be an average of 100 deer on this LOW FENCED property. Yes, these deer come and go and there are different groups of deer that can be there....but for the sake of this argument, there are ALWAYS 100 deer on this property. These deer are NOT AVAILABLE to be hunted by the neighboring landowners.

Now let's say that 1,000 acre ranch decides to put up a high fence. At the time the fence goes up, there are 100 deer on this ranch. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the ranch being low fenced and high fenced is this:

- On the low fenced ranch, the group of 100 deer that CANNOT BE HUNTED BY THE NEIGHBORS is always changing because of the deer coming and going across the boundary.

- On the high fenced ranch, the group of 100 deer that CANNOT BE HUNTED BY THE NEIGHBORS is always the same, because they are confined to the property.

In other words, nothing changed outside the fence. The remaining 99,000 acres of the island still have the same deer density of 1 deer per 10 acres. Nobody outside the fence will notice any difference in the quality of their hunting....UNLESS....they were one of the small landowners mooching off the efforts of the 1,000 acre neighbor, shooting whichever unfortunate deer that stepped across the fence onto their property.

If you don't like it, just say you don't like it....I can respect that. But don't sit here and try to tell me that my scenario "doesn't hold water" or "doesn't make sense" or "is BS" because it is simple math and logic. My guess is that if someone still resists this idea....then they either have a hard time with logic.....or they are whining because they are the little guy next to the big guy, shooting WAY more deer than they should be, and don't want their golden goose taken away. In which case I say.....get over it!!

I applaud the effort, man you are trying hard, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still BS.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 03:37 PM

Excellent idea.

Winner up

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

I applaud the effort, man you are trying hard, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still BS.

Well I'm sorry that very simple math and logic seems to be completely lost on you.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 03:42 PM

I own 2 high fenced ranches and one low fenced ranch and I wholeheartedly agree with you that I should pay for the states deer in exchange for calling all the deer on my place MY deer and being granted ownership of those deer.

However, you are being less creative than you need to be. There are many ways to skin any cat. For example:

First, I don't WANT any of the states native deer on one of my high fenced ranches. I should be able to remedy this any number of ways.

1. Why can't I lease it to hunters who pay both me AND the state to hunt (with the specific purpose of eradicating the states vermin from my property)? I have skin in the game because the states deer are eating the resources I own. 50:50 split until all native deer are gone or mostly gone?

2. I could either leave a side down or lower a side and chopper and bait animals onto the neighbors place (if the neighbor is willing). I think the state should share in this cost since their deer are tresspassing on and consuming my surface resources.

3. Let the state put my place on their public hunting program for a year. One season and call it good.

NP is again (as usual) FOS about how the state views aerial surveys. In order to establish harvest rates they assume you see 100% of the deer from the air. We all know that's bogus but the state isn't operating with a full deck.

So, the last option would be run a survey from a state approved chopper service and pay the state HALF the value of the deer. Remember, those stinking state owned vermin are eating my resources. That needs to be fairly compensated.

I haven't said anything about aerial surveys one way or the other,sir.

Problem with the whole dang discussion is HF folks want to talk/act like they "own" wild animals. When they don't. (TP&W Code Chapter 11). Without HFs, they come and they go as they please - which is kinda what wild animals do. hammer

But the HFs, for all practical purposes, grant folks 'ownership'. So its no wonder they talk like that these days.

It's just sad to hear deer talked about as if they are livestock.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 03:58 PM

"I haven't said anything about aerial surveys one way or the other,sir. "

My apologies NP. I got your post confused with one of tt85's. Honest and easy to make mistake...

grin
Posted By: aerangis

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 04:18 PM

My snowflake detector is buzzing. For the sake of argument, lets play devils advocate for a moment.

So, someone owns a bunch of acreage, and that's supposed to entitle them to controlling how adjacent landowners use their property? It's bad enough when a HOA dictates the types of trees, bushes and flowers you can grow in your yard. A yard the property owner owns (....more like "right to use". Plant the wrong bushes, let your grass grow too high, or fail to pay property taxes and see what happens)

If I remember correctly, except for narrowly defined exceptions, wildlife is considered a public resource, a resource that can cross property boundaries as it pleases. If a sense of entitlement to wildlife on the property is manifested due to owning the land and feeding the wildlife residing or transitting the property, it's misplaced.

Getting upset when the landowner of an adjacent, postage stamp sized property puts up a feeder doing basically the same thing (on a smaller scale) when they have the legal right to do so, on property they own, is analogous to what I'm hearing from intolerant snowflakes who want to enforce their will upon others. They want to enforce their opinion or perspective on someone that they disagree with, at the expense of that parties legal rights, deflecting attention from the real meat of an issue by making noise that ignores facts. The fact being if you own an acre in a rural area next to a large ranch that feeds deer, you can do as you please on your land, within reason (and legal boundaries). Unfortunately, the ability to rationalize issues without resorting to emotion at the expense reason, or using hyperbole or obtuse analogies to deflect the inherent silliness of their position in an argument, seems to be happening more and more in today's political and politically correct climate.

I'm curious, what does fishing near another fisherman on a public lake have to do with putting a feeder on your own property, near the fence line of larger adjacent property? I've fished elbow to elbow on public water and no one's gotten pissy about it. And I've put feeders up on my side of fence boundaries and the adjacent property owners were fine with it.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 04:28 PM

[quote=Eland Slayer][quote=huntwest][quote=Stub]

Well I'm sorry that very simple math and logic seems to be completely lost on you.

oh no, I get what you are going for, you explained it 3 times and my reading comprehension is known to be strong to quite strong. its just a simplistic argument. using your numbers you could argue that a deer on my 10 acre property is unavailable to the neighbors as long as its on my property, as are the 2 deer on my neighbors 20 acres, and so on. we get it.

but deer move, PARTICULAR deer move, and although most aren't willing to admit it, antlered bucks are what drive this whole argument and they move the most. you see threads every year, "when is the rut in XYZ county, "looks like the rut is on in XYZ county," and so on, every hunter looks forward to the rut, I remember hearing my uncles talk about the "rut" 30 years ago when I started hunting...why is the rut is so important to us?

because we all hope to catch that buck cruising for does, and we all look forward to "never knowing what is going to step out during the rut." someone said it earlier talking about mule deer, so many more good bucks would hit the ground if the season was during the rut. why? because they are moving. a HF restricts that. period.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 04:44 PM

oh no, I get what you are going for, you explained it 3 times and my reading comprehension is known to be strong to quite strong. its just a simplistic argument. using your numbers you could argue that a deer on my 10 acre property is unavailable to the neighbors as long as its on my property, as are the 2 deer on my neighbors 20 acres, and so on. we get it.

but deer move, PARTICULAR deer move, and although most aren't willing to admit it, antlered bucks are what drive this whole argument and they move the most. you see threads every year, "when is the rut in XYZ county, "looks like the rut is on in XYZ county," and so on, every hunter looks forward to the rut, I remember hearing my uncles talk about the "rut" 30 years ago when I started hunting...why is the rut is so important to us?

because we all hope to catch that buck cruising for does, and we all look forward to "never knowing what is going to step out during the rut." someone said it earlier talking about mule deer, so many more good bucks would hit the ground if the season was during the rut. why? because they are moving. a HF restricts that. period.

Yes it is a simplistic argument....because it is a simplistic issue. Yes, I know HF restricts movement (that's why they exist). Yes, I know PARTICULAR deer move from property to property....my reading comprehension is also quite strong. My question is.....why is it so important that those PARTICULAR deer on your neighbor's property be available to you, when there are countless others outside the fence that move about freely?

Bottom line is we will probably never see eye-to-eye on this....and that's okay. Thanks for having a calm and polite debate with me. I appreciate it. cheers

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 04:50 PM

Now we are on an island, which one Maui or Alcatraz confused2
Some of your logic has valid points but does not encompass the whole scenario, only your perception.

Sad part for you is I am looking for about a 2,000 acre ranch and was going to call you. I have a rich uncle thats in Lew Sterret right now, as soon as he gets out he is giving me the $$$$ rofl

If for some reason my uncle does not get out, my rich hunchback grandmother said she would give me the $$$$ when her back straightens up up

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 07:27 PM

Yes it is a simplistic argument....because it is a simplistic issue. Yes, I know HF restricts movement (that's why they exist). Yes, I know PARTICULAR deer move from property to property....my reading comprehension is also quite strong. My question is.....why is it so important that those PARTICULAR deer on your neighbor's property be available to you, when there are countless others outside the fence that move about freely?

Bottom line is we will probably never see eye-to-eye on this....and that's okay. Thanks for having a calm and polite debate with me. I appreciate it. cheers

cheers

to the statement in red...honestly its only important to ME if its a shooter buck you fence in and I want to kill him. again, this almost always, whether you/they want to admit it, boils down to antlered bucks and whose wall they go on. both LO's want to kill them and in turn keep their neighbor from killing them, its just turned in to who wants to spend the money on a fence to make sure they win.

I can also understand the frustration of having "bad" neighbors and wanting to take them out of the equation.

I am all for LO rights and really don't care what anyone does on their property, as long as you aren't my neighbor planting rye grass in giant dong patterns and such. grin

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 07:57 PM

cheers

to the statement in red...honestly its only important to ME if its a shooter buck you fence in and I want to kill him. again, this almost always, whether you/they want to admit it, boils down to antlered bucks and whose wall they go on. both LO's want to kill them and in turn keep their neighbor from killing them, its just turned in to who wants to spend the money on a fence to make sure they win.

I can also understand the frustration of having "bad" neighbors and wanting to take them out of the equation.

I am all for LO rights and really don't care what anyone does on their property, as long as you aren't my neighbor planting rye grass in giant dong patterns and such. grin

That's my whole point of this HF stuff. IMO the HF is changing the game so you can "win". But you have "won" a different game because you changed it by penning in the deer. So, what have you really "won"?

It seems that simple to my pea brain. I wouldn't care about it near as much if it didn't affect others. I do understand that the 5 acre man shooting 3 bucks affects others too. But at least the deer are still free so the game is still the same.
Posted By: PMK

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 09:39 PM

first off, I could care less whether someone else hunts behind a HF if that is what they want to do...

stir but can it really be called a "trophy" if taken from behind a HF? based on B&C and P&Y eligibility rules. loser8
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
first off, I could care less whether someone else hunts behind a HF if that is what they want to do...

stir but can it really be called a "trophy" if taken from behind a HF? based on B&C and P&Y eligibility rules. loser8

This should add eight or nine more pages to the thread. popcorn
Posted By: PMK

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: PMK

This should add eight or nine more pages to the thread. popcorn

more like 30 pages roflmao
Posted By: Phlash

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 10:55 PM

I feel for the OP, having to read through the disagreement that doesn't have anything to do with his question. juggle

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 11:15 PM

I feel for the OP, having to read through the disagreement that doesn't have anything to do with his question. juggle

I don't ever recall seeing an 8 page thread that ended where it started.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I don't ever recall seeing an 8 page thread that ended where it started.

Nah, it's like that game where you line 30 people up, whisper a message, and see how it changes by the end. smile

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 11:49 PM

We all must be really bored to go trough all this BS over and over and over and over. But after reading some of the posts that were written by those with a very good knowledge of big words and the English language it does make it more interesting.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/02/17 11:51 PM

grin

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 12:05 AM

[quote=Stub][quote=Eland Slayer]

Slippery slope with wanting to charge a one time fee for deer trapped on a HF, that would open Pandora's Box.
First you would have to estimate the amount of trapped deer, you would have to know the estimated deer density for that area. Example lets say 10 deer per 100 acres. 1,000 acres theoretically would have 100 deer. Minus the % of deer spooked off the property while erecting the HF lets say 40%. So using this example the estimated deer captured would be 60 on a 1,000 HF property.

Here is the other side of that coin, what if the state says okay since we are charging HF landowners a one time fee for the estimated amount of deer on their property, we should also charge LF a one time fee scratch

That is BS not a slippery slope. The state already charges for shot deer no difference. No matter the reasoning the state has already set a price for taking a deer from the public. HF deer no longer available to the public.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 04:36 PM

Allow Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP) air rifles for hunting game animals. At least give us the ability to shoot Ducks and Turkey's.
Posted By: mrhilliam

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: rex47

I agree on cormorants, never had a need or desire to shoot the others.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 06:17 PM

I would make it illegal to have HF/LF discussions.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 06:57 PM

popcorn

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 07:19 PM

But then what fun would I have? Don't make it illegal. Poor old NP would go off the deep end if it wasn't for HF-LF.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
But then what fun would I have? Don't make it illegal. Poor old NP would go off the deep end if it wasn't for HF-LF.

Nah, I'm good. And tired of them too. Believe it or not, I've never started one.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 07:41 PM

Get rid of the 13" AR.
horrible idea

Best idea yet

I have come to appreciate the 13" rule as well. I did not like it when 1st implemented, but it has proven to be successful in allowing deer to mature. However, I run into the same problem. Where I hunt, in Atascosa county, I am positively covered in bucks that are well inside their ears. I saw at least five 3 1/2-5 1/2 YO deer this past season of varying mass and point total that were all near 10" inside width and unshootable. There needs to be some exception made that allows for the harvesting of mature bucks with inferior genes.

I am not in favor of allowing youth hunters to harvest deer inside 13" unless the above exception is used. You're never too young to learn how to age deer by sight. If you're old enough to hunt, you're old enough to allow a deer to grow up.
Posted By: rickym

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: mrhilliam

Cant speak on road runners other than I like seeing them. But you've probably never had chickens that the hawks go after, or had a hawk try to steal your mojo while dove hunting.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 08:30 PM

I can't say that I have had either of those. I have had a hawk grab a bass out of the Brazos that was previously attached to a fishing lure of mine. I didn't really want to shoot him for it. It was actually pretty spectacular, but I understand your point.

I just like seeing hawks and roadrunners. Maybe there should be some kind of exemption for landowners, though that would likely be impossible to enforce. I know my granddad used to shoot blue herons all the time because they ate the fish from his stock tanks.

I think cormorants are a nuisance, and in my neck of the woods, they seem to be way over populated. Kind of like grackels.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: don k

Well, I think you're right. It is an endless source of entertainment. And deep down we know NP love those arguments. grin

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 08:37 PM

grin Did you not see my coffee cup above?

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 08:47 PM

If you are selling those I need two dozen for a few prosecutors I know. roflmao
Posted By: slymer

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/03/17 09:49 PM

Let youths shoot any size buck in an AR county.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/04/17 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Dien
Red Snapper season should be number 1

up NMFS has really screwed the pooch on this issue.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/04/17 08:34 AM

Originally Posted By: rickym
Originally Posted By: mrhilliam

Cant speak on road runners other than I like seeing them. But you've probably never had chickens that the hawks go after, or had a hawk try to steal your mojo while dove hunting.

Speaking of nuisance wildlife, last summer I had a ton of hummingbirds that kept attacking the flowers in our garden. TPWD should add them to list of migratory birds that can be hunted.

A strap of mounted hummingbirds would look good on the wall in my trophy room.

Posted By: blackcoal

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/04/17 02:19 PM

worthless

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/05/17 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: aerangis

Speaking of nuisance wildlife, last summer I had a ton of hummingbirds that kept attacking the flowers in our garden. TPWD should add them to list of migratory birds that can be hunted.

A strap of mounted hummingbirds would look good on the wall in my trophy room.

stir
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/05/17 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
I wish they would make Stonewall county a two buck county. I'm about 10 to 1 bucks vs does on my place. I guess my neighbors take advantage of the 4 antlerless bag limit a little too much. For now I do not allow the harvest of does on my place.

Same way at our place. Way too many bucks and not enough does. We made a decision not to shoot any does this year. We even let our kids take some spikes this year to try and thin the herd.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/05/17 07:49 AM

I think hunters do a pretty good job of policing aka shooting what they think they should in relation to does to bucks. We took no does this year and no one mentioned a word about it. Some years we take 1 and some 9. We hardly saw any this year so none were taken.

One rule I would like changed would be when you tag your game. Wait until you are gutting or taking to processor. No one ever gets nailed for it, but law is as soon as you shoot it. Not many of us have pens on our body before we move the animal. MLD gets to wait until their final destination which is the barn. Why not regular folks? I know a 100 scenarios can arise but 99.99% of the time there would be no issue. How many times are guys in trouble for this but never actually commited a real game violation?? Poachers are poachers and get busted. A tag has hardly even come into play.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/05/17 03:32 PM

Like I said....we will agree to disagree. Obviously you are having a difficult time understanding simple logic.

I can tell you are quite emotional about the topic....and I think that is probably clouding your thinking.

I don't think it's about whether or not he understands it....he simply doesn't care what your defense is...because as he stated once you fence them thy are no longer the States deer because they no longer have free range....they become yours and you should pay for them if you high fence. I kind of like the idea...the money could go to improving the hunting in the state.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/05/17 03:37 PM

The whole concept of wild game "ownership" is one of the reasons we fought a revolution to break away from the King of England. Sad to see it worming its way back into the minds of American hunters.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/05/17 07:22 PM

The whole concept of wild game "ownership" is one of the reasons we fought a revolution to break away from the King of England. Sad to see it worming its way back into the minds of American hunters.

Lol...the closest we've come to having a king just left office...the "ownership" is by the "people" for the people. Wild game has not been...until lately, last 40 yrs or so, viewed the same as cattle.
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/05/17 08:29 PM

I bet those sell like hot cakes in bookstores at law schools.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/05/17 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

Lol...the closest we've come to having a king just left office...the "ownership" is by the "people" for the people. Wild game has not been...until lately, last 40 yrs or so, viewed the same as cattle.

40 years ago most farmers where smoking everyone they saw..... via a 22/223 out the window of a truck,

Values change and so do management principles

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/05/17 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

40 years ago most farmers where smoking everyone they saw..... via a 22/223 out the window of a truck,

Values change and so do management principles

I worked with a guy back in 1987 told me that's what they did on their family farm outside of San Antonio, they were nuisance that ate their crops.
Posted By: Kell

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/06/17 03:29 AM

I would reduce the 13" AR rule to 12". I have always believed they went an inch too far. A 12" AR would protect the younger bucks the way it was meant to and yet allow the harvest of bucks that will never make 13". If you don't believe there are bucks that are mature and between 12 and 13" wide then you haven't looked at the antler mounts and deer heads on walls all over Texas.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/06/17 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

I bet those sell like hot cakes in bookstores at law schools.

rofl
I'm certain the price would double if they were autographed

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/06/17 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: slymer

what is a yoot?
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/06/17 09:07 PM

It is always interesting to see how long it takes for threads to take a turn for the south from the original post. Oh, and by the way, I am certainly guilty at times! aim
Posted By: drycreek3189

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/06/17 09:48 PM

Well, I have read every response on this sideways thread, and unless I missed it, I've not seen my one gripe discussed. I would like to see all the spike bucks protected unless they can be proven to be 2.5 or older. Anybody should be able to tell a yearling spike, and if they can't, they need to hang it up !

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/06/17 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: slymer

what is a yoot?

Lmao

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/06/17 11:37 PM

I don't understand the "let youths shoot a non-AR deer in AR counties"?

One, that teaches them that rules don't apply to th.

Secondly, it's not good management practice
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/06/17 11:41 PM

One, that teaches them that rules don't apply to them.

Excellent points TT85.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 12:11 AM

No different than youth season where they get to use guns the last weekend of bow season and all of muzzleloader. Then if that's the case it would be ok if they get to shoot a deer under 13 during the yourh season.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 01:33 AM

No different than youth season where they get to use guns the last weekend of bow season and all of muzzleloader. Then if that's the case it would be ok if they get to shoot a deer under 13 during the yourh season.

Its a lot different. They are letting them use modern weapons not changing what animal is legal.

If a deer is shot with a gun or bow or muzzleloader it's still a dead deer. It's not gonna affect the herd if a different weapon is used.

A bunch of under 17 year olds who start shooting yearlings and two year olds will

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 01:41 AM

Its a lot different. They are letting them use modern weapons not changing what animal is legal.

If a deer is shot with a gun or bow or muzzleloader it's still a dead deer. It's not gonna affect the herd if a different weapon is used.

A bunch of under 17 year olds who start shooting yearlings and two year olds will

Ok then have an age limit on it. Say if you are 10 or under you can shoot 1 deer under 13. Not 1 per year but one period

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 03:05 AM

And how would they enforce that?

Special lifetime tag?

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 03:07 AM

Special lifetime tag?

I want one of those!

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 01:09 PM

Special lifetime tag?

Well in Missouri they have telecheck numbers on their tag and after every deer you shoot you call and check it in and they put it on file. Missouri conservation has an app on your phone that when you pull it up it has all of your tag history and if you shot anything or didn't shoot anything. So maybe something like that with youth 10 and under. Maybe not the app but the telecheck so they at least have it on file.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 01:44 PM

Y'all are making some of this entirely too complicated and convoluted. We need need apps or check ins or exceptions to rules. Just keep it simple.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 01:47 PM

Y'all are making some of this entirely too complicated and convoluted. We need need apps or check ins or exceptions to rules. Just keep it simple.

When it comes down to it none of this really matters because it's not going to change I was just trying to make the point there is a way to enforce it.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 02:22 PM

When it comes down to it none of this really matters because it's not going to change I was just trying to make the point there is a way to enforce it.

Sure, I get it. It's just that most of this stuff isn't practical.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 02:28 PM

I never understood why they didn't lower the quail limits/season when they were dang near extinct a few years back. Thankfully, quail hunters self-policed and no harm was done.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 02:36 PM

Special lifetime tag?

Well in Missouri they have telecheck numbers on their tag and after every deer you shoot you call and check it in and they put it on file. Missouri conservation has an app on your phone that when you pull it up it has all of your tag history and if you shot anything or didn't shoot anything. So maybe something like that with youth 10 and under. Maybe not the app but the telecheck so they at least have it on file.

Instead we should just take all our poor kids who have to wait for a legal AR buck or spike to Missouri and shoot those deer

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 02:40 PM

I don't get the "let kids shoot a goathead" mentality. ARs have helped make it possible for them not to have to do that anymore. They work. If they just have to shoot something while they wait for a buck, shoot a doe or hog. It's not like they are handcuffed from shooting something.

Thanks to ARs, my kids both got nice bucks as their first ones. Wife too.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 03:02 PM

Special lifetime tag?

Instead we should just take all our poor kids who have to wait for a legal AR buck or spike to Missouri and shoot those deer

Missouri has ARs too. I never said we should do that or any of it. Personally I like ARs, but You asked how we would enforce it so I told you an idea they could use to enforce it.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 03:22 PM

I don't get the "let kids shoot a goathead" mentality. ARs have helped make it possible for them not to have to do that anymore. They work. If they just have to shoot something while they wait for a buck, shoot a doe or hog. It's not like they are handcuffed from shooting something.

I agree, same for my youngest daughter. Good things come to those that wait.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 05:05 PM

it the "everyone needs to win all the time" mentality

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 05:15 PM

I don't have that mentally but I know what's it's like for a kid. I shot my first buck then they put the ARs into place. Don't get me wrong I'm glad they did it but I have now been hunting 11 seasons and have not gotten one over 13 inches so I know how tough it can be and I have only had 4 opportunities to shoot one over 13 inches and 3 of them were in the same season. So I believe you need to earn what you get but a bunch of times you can do everything right and still not be successful.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 05:19 PM

I don't have that mentally but I know what's it's like. I shot my first buck then they put the ARs into place. Don't get me wrong I'm glad they did it but I have now been hunting 11 seasons and have not gotten one over 13 inches so I know how tough it can be and I have only had 4 opportunities to shoot one over 13 inches and 3 of them were in the same season. So I believe you need to earn what you get but a bunch of times you can do everything right and still not be successful.

have you thought about switching hunting locations? Sounds like the issue you are having is hunting in a sub-par area

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 05:29 PM

I don't have that mentally but I know what's it's like. I shot my first buck then they put the ARs into place. Don't get me wrong I'm glad they did it but I have now been hunting 11 seasons and have not gotten one over 13 inches so I know how tough it can be and I have only had 4 opportunities to shoot one over 13 inches and 3 of them were in the same season. So I believe you need to earn what you get but a bunch of times you can do everything right and still not be successful.

have you thought about switching hunting locations?

Thought about it but the big bucks are there we have them on camera they are just nocturnal

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 05:33 PM

Maybe we could petition the state to allow youths to hunt at night then

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 05:40 PM

There we go now we are getting somewhere. roflmao
Just kidding but that might force them to coming out in the day. There would be a lot bigger deer shot that's for sure, but on the other side there would be a lot more deer shot too.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 05:51 PM

I'd like to be able to hunt deer at night. The problem is that I don't want everyone else doing it.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 06:00 PM

Moon light, spot light, or NV..... confused2

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/07/17 06:49 PM

Uh oh - y'all are going all east TX on me now. smile
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/08/17 10:49 PM

Uh oh - y'all are going all east TX on me now. smile

up

Now can we get back to hunting Turkey with airguns?

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/08/17 11:12 PM

I think that each county should make every person that hunted in that county have to go to the court house whenever rules are made. They would then vote on what they thought would make the most sense for that county. Good luck on that happening.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/08/17 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Moon light, spot light, or NV..... confused2

Spot light. I'd have killed a pretty nice subpar buck this year.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/09/17 01:24 AM

I should be able to shoot whitetails on my hf ranch with a .22 lr

I would like to see that rule passed

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/09/17 03:16 AM

I should be able to shoot whitetails on my hf ranch with a .22 lr

I would like to see that rule passed
Who is stopping you?
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why - 03/09/17 03:07 PM

If you can hunt coyotes and other predators at night then why the heck cant we hunt pigs on the national forests after dark.

If it was a safety issue then we wouldnt be able to hunt predators at night so that argument is out

Pigs are competing with the other species on the national forests and should be allowed 24 hour a day hunting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum