Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: robisonk] #5900683 08/28/15 03:52 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I doubt any landowner would sign a lease contract that prevents them from selling their land. Your contract is good so long as they own that land. It sux but that is the risk of leasing. $10/acre is cheap for a lease on a good ranch. I paid $18/acre on the last place I leased. I also paid for all the feed, blinds, feeders and pens.

Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: robisonk] #5900735 08/28/15 04:25 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
What makes the landowners word no good? Did he tell you that you would be able to hunt the property forever or did you just assume it would stay that way?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: redchevy] #5900775 08/28/15 04:45 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Been there. At least he told you. The lease I was on before my current one I found out it was for sale when a real estate agent went riding past my stand with a family while I was hunting. And it sold fairly quick.

Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: Limit Extender] #5900968 08/28/15 06:32 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
You know the saddest thing about hunting to me is that how hard is to find a good hunting spot and then loosing it. Ive delt with it too, whether a land owner dies off, politics, or just some old spooky wife of a land owner that has been watching way way too much 700 club. You know like when she asks him why does that guy come out here so much, and the old man says he is just hunting. Then the wife says I don't feel good about it, and that's the end of that. I got online the other day to look at hunting property, man hunting has become so over commercialized and over priced. Saw one piece for 10 dollars an acre, WOW! You would have to have 20 people to make it affordable and then deal with 19 yahoos all around you. Yuck! barf

$10.00 an acre is actually cheap in my opinion. If you can't afford to buy your own place, or afford to hunt on a nice place, then try knocking on doors. You'd be surprised what a friendly 10 minute conversation can accomplish.

$10 is really cheap. I have heard of $25-$50 often. Although location, quality, and quantity need to be considered.

And indeed there are much worse calls that you can get. I thought this may be a prayer chain post.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: kry226] #5901022 08/28/15 07:02 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: kry226
Originally Posted By: therancher
I NEVER told my hunters about a sale unless it was already done. Hunters who know they're hunting their last season on a place are not gonna be very good stewards.

And this situation is why I decided decades ago to own my own property. Leasing is so risky.

Yup.

But for the OP, I'm sorry it's going down this way and I do hope everything works out. But if I may add a little perspective, it's not the worst call ever. up

Amen brother Kry. To the OP, this surely,,, well,, sucks, but if it is the worst call you get this year, it was a good phone call. Roll with it, tomorrow is another day.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: rattler03] #5901247 08/28/15 08:44 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: rattler03
Originally Posted By: therancher
I NEVER told my hunters about a sale unless it was already done. Hunters who know they're hunting their last season on a place are not gonna be very good stewards.

And this situation is why I decided decades ago to own my own property. Leasing is so risky.

Yup.

But for the OP, I'm sorry it's going down this way and I do hope everything works out. But if I may add a little perspective, it's not the worst call ever. up

I can think of several phone calls I've received over the last few years that were absolute heart-breakers. Possibly losing a deer lease isn't anywhere near that bad. Good luck with getting another year out of the place and/or finding a new lease, though.

X2

Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: REALKILLER] #5901271 08/28/15 08:53 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
.. Saw one piece for 10 dollars an acre, WOW! You would have to have 20 people to make it affordable and then deal with 19 yahoos all around you. Yuck! barf

If you think 10/acre is outrageous, I hope you don't ever have to look for a new place to hunt! You may become a former hunter.

Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: robisonk] #5901294 08/28/15 09:02 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: robisonk
Just received a phone call from land owner he is selling the property and not guaranteeing deer hunting this year.
Was a small family 4 of us. Almost September and now What? Anyone have any ideas or help on what we can do.
Lesson learned no contract. What happened to a mans word.

I can top that. On the way to my lease a few years back the weekend before season started and got a phone call from the fellow I leased from. Turns out place we had been hunting for a few years that had "been in his family" forever apparently wasn't in his family and he didn't have the hunting rights to. Nothing like pulling in to load up your stuff and have to deal with a couple big dudes that want to know why the hell you've been hunting grandma's pasture.

If you paid ask for your money back. If not maybe see if he'll pay month to month and ride it out til he sells - who knows might take a while. If not find another place.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: aeb] #5901324 08/28/15 09:22 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: aeb
.. Saw one piece for 10 dollars an acre, WOW! You would have to have 20 people to make it affordable and then deal with 19 yahoos all around you. Yuck! barf

If you think 10/acre is outrageous, I hope you don't ever have to look for a new place to hunt! You may become a former hunter.

I can find a lot of them $5-8/ac.

Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: robisonk] #5901348 08/28/15 09:30 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Unfortunate to be sure but honestly if that is the worst call you have ever received, you have lived a charmed life and truly have nothing to to complain about. Best of luck to you finding a new lease.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: rifleman] #5901772 08/29/15 02:08 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: rifleman

I can find a lot of them $5-8/ac.

I will let you come watch.....if you will be real quiet. elmer

Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: robisonk] #5901892 08/29/15 03:18 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
So you'll pay me $5-8/ac just to be in my quiet presence?

Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: robisonk] #5901986 08/29/15 05:01 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
What happened to 100 dollars a gun? greed that's what That's what we paid for a 1200 acre lease in Llano in the late 80s early 90s. There was only 5 of us on it. Hunting got famous thanks to 24 hour round the clock hunting shows. Used to have to rent them or order them. That 10 dollar deal was 17,300 dollars a year for a crappy county and you can have it. up

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: robisonk] #5902015 08/29/15 06:08 AM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Currently paying $6.25 an acre with the possibility of taking a 150 class buck. Good price in today's market IMO.

Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: REALKILLER] #5902080 08/29/15 12:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
What happened to 100 dollars a gun? greed that's what That's what we paid for a 1200 acre lease in Llano in the late 80s early 90s. There was only 5 of us on it. Hunting got famous thanks to 24 hour round the clock hunting shows. Used to have to rent them or order them. That 10 dollar deal was 17,300 dollars a year for a crappy county and you can have it. up

Greed? Buy your own place and pay the bills. Land cost, taxes, maintenance (roads, fences, habitat management), livestock, drought, flooding, insurance,......list goes on. Then you have every friend who wants to come out to hunt for "free". Nothing is free or low cost, someone paid for your privilege of low cost or free hunting...you didn't. Today's hunting prices came from 15-20 yrs of serious drought that have left ranchers struggling to pay bills. Higher fuel costs, less livestock to no livestock due to drought, no water, wells going dry, higher insurance costs, habitat management, fence repairs, road repairs(sometimes due to those "free" hunters tearing them up)...the list goes on. Go back to that 1200 acres in Llano and ask to lease it today. Hunting is not any more famous today than it was 50 yrs ago. Costs of everything are way more today than 50 yrs ago and even 20 yrs ago.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: robisonk] #5902189 08/29/15 01:49 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
It is greed. You cant blame mother nature on the hunters and take it out on them. Buy some cows or declare it a tree farm. The taxes would be dirt cheap. Greed got my friends kicked off that lease in Llano. They were on it for 14 years and someone do a deal under the table for more money and they lost it. Ya 100 dollars a gun is cheap, but its just hunting and not gold mining. At 10 dollars an acre that place would be 12,000 dollars now days, so that's 11,500 dollars more. See what Im talking about. 30 to 40 years and people see the dollar signs. Hey its all about the biz and not about the freedom to affordably hunt. If all your friends want to come out and hunt, just be thankful you have friends that like to hunt and let them come out in moderation. Bird hunts usually make for some good comraderie. Some of my best huntin buddies are dead and I can promise you when there gone youll wish they were out there hunting on your place with you. I used to try to hunt strictly by myself for big bucks and still do sometimes, but the enjoyment you get hanging out BSin out in the woods is priceless. Trust me high dollar hunting leases put big bucks in peoples pockets and Im talking about the paper kind.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: stxranchman] #5902202 08/29/15 01:58 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Greed? Buy your own place and pay the bills. Land cost, taxes, maintenance (roads, fences, habitat management), livestock, drought, flooding, insurance,......list goes on. Then you have every friend who wants to come out to hunt for "free". Nothing is free or low cost, someone paid for your privilege of low cost or free hunting...you didn't. Today's hunting prices came from 15-20 yrs of serious drought that have left ranchers struggling to pay bills. Higher fuel costs, less livestock to no livestock due to drought, no water, wells going dry, higher insurance costs, habitat management, fence repairs, road repairs(sometimes due to those "free" hunters tearing them up)...the list goes on. Go back to that 1200 acres in Llano and ask to lease it today. Hunting is not any more famous today than it was 50 yrs ago. Costs of everything are way more today than 50 yrs ago and even 20 yrs ago.

I don't disagree with stx, costs are going to rise. But one cannot ignore the impact hunting shows and outdoor channels have had on land availability. My buddy in Kansas used to have unfettered access to thousands of acres of farmland owned by his farmer friends. Little by little, year by year, that access dwindled as the farmers "leased" their land to outfitters and hunt clubs as they could double their income per year. Those that could buy, did.

Whitetail Properties doesn't exist because farmers costs went up.

[Linked Image]
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: REALKILLER] #5902227 08/29/15 02:11 PM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
You know the saddest thing about hunting to me is that how hard is to find a good hunting spot and then loosing it. Ive delt with it too, whether a land owner dies off, politics, or just some old spooky wife of a land owner that has been watching way way too much 700 club. You know like when she asks him why does that guy come out here so much, and the old man says he is just hunting. Then the wife says I don't feel good about it, and that's the end of that. I got online the other day to look at hunting property, man hunting has become so over commercialized and over priced. Saw one piece for 10 dollars an acre, WOW! You would have to have 20 people to make it affordable and then deal with 19 yahoos all around you. Yuck! barf

There was a place near me listed for $333 an acre a month or so ago. Bow only. It isn't listed anymore so I'm assuming somebody leased it.

And OP, there are much worse phone calls than losing your lease. Quit being a drama queen and move on.

Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: robisonk] #5902252 08/29/15 02:27 PM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Sent you a PM

In these times , 'I'll keep my God , my freedom , my gun and my money. Anyone that supports this insanity can keep "THE CHANGE".
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: robisonk] #5902350 08/29/15 03:37 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
My wifes fathers family has 19000 acres in New Mexico, that's 19 thousand ! and Ive never been able to hunt it, because they sale there tags to a guide service out of Houston ? The wife and I have been together for over 16 years. NO LOVE there just money. Its a cattle ranch and they do make money on the cows too. They are a bunch of non hunters and don't have a clue bout what a hunter loves to do. NOT A CLUE look at you like who cares. And so Im guessing that housing and land have gone up 24xs in value since the 1990s. 1200 acres for 5 hunters at 100 ollars each is 500 dollars. 10 dollars an acre for 1200 acres is 12,000 dollars and that's 24 times the 100 dollar a hunter price. scratch

Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: kry226] #5902404 08/29/15 04:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I don't disagree with stx, costs are going to rise. But one cannot ignore the impact hunting shows and outdoor channels have had on land availability. My buddy in Kansas used to have unfettered access to thousands of acres of farmland owned by his farmer friends. Little by little, year by year, that access dwindled as the farmers "leased" their land to outfitters and hunt clubs as they could double their income per year. Those that could buy, did.

Whitetail Properties doesn't exist because farmers costs went up.

1990 what did a pick up cost? 2015 f250 are over 60k now.
Kansas was in a huge drought for past 6 years. No crops and CRP was even released for emergency grazing.
New Case 300hp tractor is $350k plus. I've seen combine for almost $500k. Commercial water well for irrigation is 100k.

Whitetail properties exist because people don't want to try to make a go at via living off the land... Double edge sword. Can't say farmers and ranchers costs haven't gone up. When you can make more off selling then you can in 20 years of farming and ranching you can hate on the rancher/farmer. That's a mirror. Can't blame TV shows when your posting on a hunting forum.

Costs go up and everyone feels the pain. Land owners, hunters etc. My home value has gone up so much In The last 4 years that If trend continues i doubt I could afford the taxes when I retire.

My hunting expenses have double and I've cut back on other stuff so I can keep it up. Part off it.

Offshore fishing charter run you 1500-2500 bucks. But boat, fuel and insurance would run you 150k plus.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: REALKILLER] #5902413 08/29/15 04:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
It is greed. You cant blame mother nature on the hunters and take it out on them. Buy some cows or declare it a tree farm. The taxes would be dirt cheap. Greed got my friends kicked off that lease in Llano. They were on it for 14 years and someone do a deal under the table for more money and they lost it. Ya 100 dollars a gun is cheap, but its just hunting and not gold mining. At 10 dollars an acre that place would be 12,000 dollars now days, so that's 11,500 dollars more. See what Im talking about. 30 to 40 years and people see the dollar signs. Hey its all about the biz and not about the freedom to affordably hunt. If all your friends want to come out and hunt, just be thankful you have friends that like to hunt and let them come out in moderation. Bird hunts usually make for some good comraderie. Some of my best huntin buddies are dead and I can promise you when there gone youll wish they were out there hunting on your place with you. I used to try to hunt strictly by myself for big bucks and still do sometimes, but the enjoyment you get hanging out BSin out in the woods is priceless. Trust me high dollar hunting leases put big bucks in peoples pockets and Im talking about the paper kind.

Llano county 4500acres 19 million. Some body is selling if your buying!

http://m.landsofamerica.com/results/?county_ID=6173&state_ID=48

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 08/29/15 04:18 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: robisonk] #5902434 08/29/15 04:28 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I think it is simply and purely supply and demand.

It would be fool hearty for a LO to not try and get what the market will bear. Some will even keep a lower price just to keep a good group of folks, but most will go with the trend. Just another "commodity" for a LO to add to his income.

If there was no demand, there wouldn't be a market for it. I don't see where anyone can be made to blame.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: Western] #5902608 08/29/15 06:40 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Western
I think it is simply and purely supply and demand.

It would be fool hearty for a LO to not try and get what the market will bear. Some will even keep a lower price just to keep a good group of folks, but most will go with the trend. Just another "commodity" for a LO to add to his income.

If there was no demand, there wouldn't be a market for it. I don't see where anyone can be made to blame.

This^^^ and you are only kidding yourself if you think a landowner is wrong for asking what the market will bear.
What makes anyone so special when it comes to leasing the LO land?
There will always be someone who will plop down the money, and you can be sure the season won't come and go without someone leasing the property no matter how outragious you may think the price.
It's an old and worn out saying, but they aren't making land anymore, and if it's not public someone owns it and they can charge what they want or sell it to the highest bidder, and you have to have money to play the game.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: WORST PHONE CALL EVER [Re: REALKILLER] #5902648 08/29/15 07:14 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
My wifes fathers family has 19000 acres in New Mexico, that's 19 thousand ! and Ive never been able to hunt it, because they sale there tags to a guide service out of Houston ? The wife and I have been together for over 16 years. NO LOVE there just money. Its a cattle ranch and they do make money on the cows too. They are a bunch of non hunters and don't have a clue bout what a hunter loves to do. NOT A CLUE look at you like who cares. And so Im guessing that housing and land have gone up 24xs in value since the 1990s. 1200 acres for 5 hunters at 100 ollars each is 500 dollars. 10 dollars an acre for 1200 acres is 12,000 dollars and that's 24 times the 100 dollar a hunter price. scratch

Reality check. If they were paying 100 a gun in 1990 that was way under priced in 1990. So to use that as a benchmark for your calculations is clueless. For you to expect a landowner to give you a ridiculously low price to hunt because you love to hunt is a socialist point of view.
Have you offered to work for your Inlaws on their ranch? Or do you just expect them to give you something for nothing because you love to hunt?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide