Forums46
Topics538,523
Posts9,738,162
Members87,095
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 28 of 44 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5875221 08/12/15 05:30 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
I found three, spent Benet-primed 45-70 cartridges in a field below Ft. Griffin.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5877286 08/13/15 08:50 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Found arrowheads a lot as a kid. Lot of old bottles, cans, countless old tools/devices that I have no idea what they are, lots of buried wire old old oilfield equipment. We have a a few old stone homesteads on our place one is still standing and we use, an old two part cistern systems some poor well digger cut through hard rock and dirt underground some 40 or 50 feet between the two both at least 30 feet deep. Still holds fresh water even in drought. According to some old folks they were part of Goodnight's ranch. We have a collection of metates, arrowheads, and other tools dated back about 10,000 years. I have always wanted to dig around and find something else interesting at the old rock houses but just lots of old sandstone rock foundations on the other two we don't use and don't want to tear up what is left.

Found a huge petrified log a while back. No one will believe this but next to it was a saber tooth or some giant tooth that just fell apart when we tried to move it. Definitely prehistoric. The log was bleach white from calcium with red streaks of iron and had some spots that were covered in iron ore bubbles hardened over. This was 30 or 40 feet underground. Use to hike up to an old jeep willys way on a mountain where an old homestead was pretty cool very early model. FINL found an two old bucks locked up in the brazos dead called game warden and got to keep them locked together as a mount pretty cool.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5877321 08/13/15 09:21 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Ive found two meth labs a pot field,stolen cars and equipment, and one dead body

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: REALKILLER] #5877329 08/13/15 09:28 PM
C
Chunky Dunk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
Ive found two meth labs a pot field,stolen cars and equipment, and one dead body
bolt

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5877379 08/13/15 10:04 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That reminds me, I've found a small pot field. It was the ranch owner's.

I buried the ring from my first marriage on a lease, way down in a draw on the back of the place. (That was a hot, drunken summer day.) Years later I checked and it was gone. Somebody, or thing, found it.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5877653 08/14/15 12:58 AM
HuntingTexas Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Went to a lease close to Baird 35 years ago. Ex father in law took me to his lease, pointed to a an elevated box blind on the side of a hill and said hunt there. He drove off as I was climbing the hill. This was a no porch blind where you opened the door and leaned back so it would clear your head to open. As I opened it I was face to face with the coolest looking white bird I'd ever seen. It was about a foot tall. I wanted to grab it til I noticed it's talons. I climbed back down and hunted on the ground. It was a young Great Horned Owl and this picture is pretty close to what I saw when I opened the door.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5877661 08/14/15 01:01 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Found an old still in a "holler" in Kentucky. Found more arrowheads in tobacco fields in Kentucky than I ever thought was possible. Ex GF kept them.

Mother is from England, on a visit when I was around 12 or 13 I walked into the "New Forest" and walked within 50 or 60 yards of a doe. Thought that was cool to see a deer there. 1st and last one I ever saw there.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5877694 08/14/15 01:18 AM
Wildphilhickup Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Deer hunting Northern California, Mendocino County - found pot fields, . . . . . as can be expected.

Southern California, "Tenaja", while duck hunting found a body - Yes, dead. My Yellow Lab actually found the body.

Southern California, Salton Sea, Wister NWR - found a body - Yes, dead. Duck blinds are assigned there. The body was at a blind next to ours. Police said it was a drug deal gone bad.

MILL CREEK HONEY BEE FARM, LLC
millcreekhoneybeefarm @yahoo.com
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5882631 08/17/15 06:18 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
About 25 years ago I was still hunting for deer in the woods in Northern New Jersey when I came upon another hunter. We exchanged greetings and discussed our hunting experiences in the area. During the discussion he asked if I might have lost a knife in the area. I said as a matter fact I had lost a nice knife several years ago. He asked me to describe it and I did. He reached into his back pack and pulled out my knife. He said he found it 2 years ago and has been carrying it ever since thinking he might find the owner. He gave it to me and I expressed my sincere appreciation. I offered him a reward and he refused to consider it. It has to be one of the best examples of honestly and decency I will ever experience. The man was truly a fine gentleman.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5882926 08/17/15 09:10 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
This is one of the best threads I have read on the THF. Well, this and the Allsups beef and bean burrito thread.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Flashprism] #5883485 08/18/15 02:06 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Flashprism
About 25 years ago I was still hunting for deer in the woods in Northern New Jersey when I came upon another hunter. We exchanged greetings and discussed our hunting experiences in the area. During the discussion he asked if I might have lost a knife in the area. I said as a matter fact I had lost a nice knife several years ago. He asked me to describe it and I did. He reached into his back pack and pulled out my knife. He said he found it 2 years ago and has been carrying it ever since thinking he might find the owner. He gave it to me and I expressed my sincere appreciation. I offered him a reward and he refused to consider it. It has to be one of the best examples of honestly and decency I will ever experience. The man was truly a fine gentleman.

GREAT story !! cheers

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: HuntingTexas] #5883488 08/18/15 02:08 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: HuntingTexas
Went to a lease close to Baird 35 years ago. Ex father in law took me to his lease, pointed to a an elevated box blind on the side of a hill and said hunt there. He drove off as I was climbing the hill. This was a no porch blind where you opened the door and leaned back so it would clear your head to open. As I opened it I was face to face with the coolest looking white bird I'd ever seen. It was about a foot tall. I wanted to grab it til I noticed it's talons. I climbed back down and hunted on the ground. It was a young Great Horned Owl and this picture is pretty close to what I saw when I opened the door.

Pic died, here's anoher one.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: HuntingTexas] #5883535 08/18/15 02:30 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Flashprism

GREAT story !! cheers

That was a really cool story, I shared it with the wife. Thanks for sharing.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5885381 08/19/15 04:39 AM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I was hiking in a river bottom one time and found a canoe wrapped around a tree.....about 12 feet in the air. Someone must have been canoeing in flood stage and got sideways. Another time I found a fishing boat a LONG way from Sam Rayburn. It floated there during a flood and was a mile or more from the water, way back in the woods.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: HuntingTexas] #5885405 08/19/15 05:59 AM
T
Tommar Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T

Pic died, here's anoher one.

Seeing that would have made me walk backwards too.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5885954 08/19/15 05:22 PM
F
Famous Flames Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Old metal folding chair. It was open and leaning up against a tree looking down into a grove of trees that we hunt regularly from a raised stand nearby. Somebody's makeshift hunting stand, but it was too rusted through to have been used any time recently. We just left it there.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5886567 08/20/15 12:54 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Found a poncho once... rofl my humor aint worth 2cents Did call in an owl once... That was cool... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5887507 08/20/15 04:41 PM
F
firemed13 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
My family owns several places in central illinois along the river between the town's of havana and bath. This area has several Indian mounds and we have found arrow heads , tools and pottery. My mom's neighbour on matanzas lake found a almost complete vase on the beach and donated it to the Dickinson mounds museum, the museum dated it as being almost 1500 years old. We also found a revolver in the lake in about two feet of water while bow fishing for gars and grass carp.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5887936 08/20/15 09:22 PM
R
rdh1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
My Father and I was hunting public land and came a cross 3 spots of ground about 3 foot in Dia. that was depressed about 1.5 inches deep about 8 foot triangle we left and never went back UFO?

Zeva,Buck & Sandy
[Linked Image]
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5892319 08/23/15 11:41 PM
T
txagbear02 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
My Thermocell I had lost two years earlier.

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
If you are ever [in] Big Sandy and need medical treatment, I would go to the vet.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5907810 09/01/15 07:11 PM
J
Jay Brown Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J

These are some neat things I have picked up stomping around in the woods for 50 years. Most of these I found in NE La, in Ouachita and Jackson Parish. The hair cutters were from an old farm house, the "Iron" was in a barn, and the No. 1 1/2 double spring Victor was in the woods hanging in a tree.

Last edited by Jay Brown; 09/01/15 07:12 PM.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: rdh1] #5907855 09/01/15 07:36 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: rdh1
My Father and I was hunting public land and came a cross 3 spots of ground about 3 foot in Dia. that was depressed about 1.5 inches deep about 8 foot triangle we left and never went back UFO?

Seismic trucks, maybe.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6006437 11/02/15 05:34 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
another bump to the top

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6006477 11/02/15 05:55 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Just found a horseshoe that was likely my late grandfather's - found another one on a ranch from the other side of my family, that was likely my great grandfathers. Got em both in my office now. Plan to make a nice cedar (display) backdrop to hang them on someday.

Found lots of coins from the early 1900's near a site where a house had burned down around that time.

Also found a spot where my great grandparent use to put all their old bottles, of all types. Would get the really cool ones out, and shoot the others with my .22 when I was a little kid. Probably a stupid thing, as some were collectors pieces, or would have been cool to have now to display.

Found an single piece (OLD) iron forged hammer that was mostly buried. I lost it one day and re-found it a year later. I call it Thor and it still gets some good use, and stays in my truck.

Have found lots of cool old hinges, and various metal tools that are over 100 years old.

Found 100's of backpacks from the illegals crossing near the border on our ranch. When I was young and out exploring/walking by myself, I found my first backpack with clothes scattered about - I thought I was about to stumble across a body and got fairly scared. Then I learned they have a change of clothes in their backpacks and just drop everything when they change into the new clothes and leave the old ones there. Still weird to find a "camp" when walking around, especially if there was a fire that is still hot nearby.

Last edited by George - w/ Map My Ranch; 11/02/15 05:57 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6006794 11/02/15 08:27 PM
T
TheDman62 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
We used to hunt on a ranch about 20 miles west of Orla near Guadalupe peak. In the west pasture there was a group of Cedar trees and in the biggest one there was a big arrow carved into it pointing North. The rancher had been on that ranch since the 50's and had never seen it. It had obviously been there a long time.

In one of the other pastures there was a hole about 50 feet in diameter and about 10-15 feet deep. If you got the right angle you could see that it went back aways, maybe some type of cave system. Being only about 20 or 30 miles as the crow flies from Carlsbad Caverns we wondered if it was connected.

Page 28 of 44 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide