Page 1 of 2 1 2
First rifle...stainless or not #5222104 07/28/14 02:46 PM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Hey, new member here. I've been looking for a first deer rifle for several weeks. Handled many at stores and keep coming back to Tikka 3 lite. Also I'm left handed so really wanted a left handed rifle. LH rifles are nearly impossible to find off the rack. So yesterday I walk into Gander Mtn and they have a Tikka 3 lite LH model, but it's a stainless barrel. Never really considered it, but it was literally the only left handed model in the store. Its a 270 which I'm fine with. Would like to hear from those who have a stainless barrel with regards to it glinting, or flashing in the field for deer to spot. Any advice on what scope in the 200$ range is also appreciated.

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222129 07/28/14 03:01 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Buy it.

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222133 07/28/14 03:02 PM
D
DRT1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Good rifle like it a lot with no down side, scope price may be a prblm but for the money I'd try to find a Nikon buck master or pro staff at least a 12 power.. Good luck

In God I trust.. all others are suspect. ;))
Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222134 07/28/14 03:02 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
It's not a big deal. If you end up not liking the stainless, you can always have it Cerakoted.

Look at Vortex, Nikon, and Bushnell in that price range.

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222161 07/28/14 03:16 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I don't think the stainless on the T3 is very reflective. You should not have any issues with it. Also if you are close to a cabelas they usually keep 3 different calibers of LH T3 Lites on the shelf. And I think they are a few $$ cheaper than gander mountain.

$200 Nikon or Vortex

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222182 07/28/14 03:24 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Been running Matte Finished Stainless guns since they came out - Weatherby Mk V,Savage & Stevens, Browning, Winchester & Tikka's - and have not noticed the problem you described a concern for.

+1 on a Tikka T3 as a solid 1st gun choice , have owned a couple T3's & trust them for the Features they have - currently have a 270 SS/syn Lite like you are looking at - and tend to believe it's a Non Issue.
Non Matte or Polished finish's can be a problem no matter what color they are, IMO
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222207 07/28/14 03:37 PM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Glad to hear the Tikka 3 is a good choice. I have asked several of my hunting friends and not one of them could say anything negative aside from a few small issues (recoil pad, plastic shroud), both of which are easy fixes. I'm also glad to hear experienced hunter are using stainless. I'd hate to be "that guy" who brought a stainless barrel to his first hunt.

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222320 07/28/14 04:39 PM
G
Gone to Texas Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Tikka T3 Lite in 270 is going to have some harsh recoil, if you are alright with that then get it. There are several after market recoil pads you can get as well to help.

Vortex Diamondback scope is the best in the 200 price range IMO. If it comes with scope rings, great. Otherwise, Warne makes some good ones for 50 bucks or so.

Tikka is a great rifle to start with, I would go with a lighter caliber but I am partial to less recoil.

Practice, practice, practice.

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222329 07/28/14 04:44 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
go for it, if the recoil is a factor (get over it) get a shoulder pad, one gun..can't go wrong with the .270

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222343 07/28/14 04:54 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Careful there...Peer Group Pressure can be a giant PIA.

Tikka T3 aftermarket stuff is not plentiful... but doable in matching Bolt Shroud, Bolt Handle, I've heard of but not seen Trigger Guard & Mag Well one Piece. I've done the Screw On Limbsaver but ya gottsa be real careful with copper solvent or it'll make the LS Pad soft & gooey and I'd look at doing a Screw On Pre Cut Pachmayer if I could find one to look at one 1st.

An upgrade I'll mention is the B&C Medallist drop in stock with the full length internal Aluminum frame that really stiffens up the Synthetic Stock - look at Stocky's to see one. You can do a custom paint job on any of the Carbon fiber/'glass stocks too. A McMillan is the Rolls Royce of the carbon/'glass stocks but will cost more than the rifle and has a loooong wait time most of the time. Not for me since I'm more into cheap scotch than VSOP Cognac these days.

I'd also mention something I'm considering is a Boyd's finished drop in stock in a Classic Grade low shadow style cheek piece style in either either a Laminate or a choice of Maple & Walnut with choices of some checkering patterns, Brand of Recoil pad cut to my specified LOP and other stuff at about the same or less $$$Bux than a B&C Medallist...or even a Lam Thumbhole to help with recoil in a harder kicker since my cranky shoulder is cratering for under $175-$200 total. Several sources for Laminates, which are an all weather option, but Do Not absorb recoil at all.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222387 07/28/14 05:22 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Gearhog has the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 on sale WITH rings and other stuff.
http://www.gearhog.com/?did=68147

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222393 07/28/14 05:32 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Tikka T3s are very good guns. Like the others have said the mate stainless has never been an issue. I would also check Cabela's like WP said usually a little cheaper than GM and normally have several to choose from.

For the scope, check with SWFA Sample list for the ones suggested and check with Skylar for the promo codes for THF members (save a little $) Camera land also has good demo models sometimes. Those options often allow for more scope for the same or less $

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222433 07/28/14 06:08 PM
JD4030 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
If you like the rifle, look online at bud's gun shop. Great selection and the best prices I have found.

Custom hay cutting / baling, combining in Southern Dallas / Ellis county; please visit our website or send me a PM for pricing, etc: http://stewart-farms.net/

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222692 07/28/14 08:36 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Midway USA sells a camo wrap that has no glue in it if you are real concerned.

The Federal Government cannot give anything to anyone, that it has not first taken from someone else.
Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222822 07/28/14 09:46 PM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Thanks for the input. I bought the Tikka 3 lite in ss today. I talked to several buddies of mine who have SS barrels and they have shot many deer w/ SS. So that's not a concern for me anymore. I priced them at Bass and at Gander Mtn. Only a 20$ difference (more) at GM AND it was left handed on the shelf. So I got it. I bought a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 scope which was also on sale. Need to range time now. Thanks again for the input. I'll try to remember to give a report from the range. I may try to upload pick if I can figure it out.

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5222932 07/28/14 10:46 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
As you've dicovered Southpaw Shooters are not common. and will likely almost disappear from inventories the closer to Season we get.
Have fun and take your time. Light Weight Rifles can take some getting used to in staying on target during the sight acquisition & firing sequence.
Ron

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5223297 07/29/14 02:12 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Can't go wrong with a T-3. Left handers only come in stainless.

Don't let anyone tell you to buy a RH rifle. It's wrong and I can prove it.

But it, learn ti shoot it, practice with it and it will last a long time.

Their stainless is a bead last look. If it's too shiny for your liking it is a simple process to rattle can it. I've rattle canned $3k worth ilof rifle/optic/base ring/ stock in one rifle. Repeat three other times Acetone makes it all go away.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5223374 07/29/14 02:40 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No worries of stainless. If fact myself and many other shooters who build custom rifles prefer stainless. It is a bit harder and will handle more rounds before it goes bad. I doubt you'll shoot the barrel out, some of us wear it like a badge of honor, it takes so many rounds to cause.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: J.G.] #5223425 07/29/14 03:03 AM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Their stainless is a bead last look. If it's too shiny for your liking it is a simple process to rattle can it. I've rattle canned $3k worth ilof rifle/optic/base ring/ stock in one rifle. Repeat three other times Acetone makes it all go away.

Yea, I almost just bought a RH rifle several weeks ago. I know I could've have ordered a LH one, but I wanted to buy the rifle I held in my own hands. Holding out worked for me in finding the LH rifle. I also learned to look in places you wouldn't normally look. I only looked at academy and Bass... and boom found the rifle I wanted just across the way.

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: J.G.] #5223585 07/29/14 04:53 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
No worries of stainless. If fact myself and many other shooters who build custom rifles prefer stainless. It is a bit harder and will handle more rounds before it goes bad. I doubt you'll shoot the barrel out, some of us wear it like a badge of honor, it takes so many rounds to cause.

Agree about wearing out a barrel, if you like the rifle enough and shoot out a barrel then you are very familiar with it and have shot it enough to have lots of fun, a new barrel and back in business. Some of my favorite rifles are "barrel burners" but knew that going in.

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5223588 07/29/14 04:55 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: Nick1

Yea, I almost just bought a RH rifle several weeks ago. I know I could've have ordered a LH one, but I wanted to buy the rifle I held in my own hands. Holding out worked for me in finding the LH rifle. I also learned to look in places you wouldn't normally look. I only looked at academy and Bass... and boom found the rifle I wanted just across the way.

Congrats on finding what you were looking for. Did you go with the LH Tikka? really enjoy the Tikkas I have good shooters with reliable almost boring accuracy out of the box.

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: kmon11] #5224250 07/29/14 05:27 PM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Originally Posted By: Nick1

Congrats on finding what you were looking for. Did you go with the LH Tikka? really enjoy the Tikkas I have good shooters with reliable almost boring accuracy out of the box.

Yes I did finally find a LH Tikka. Very happy with purchase...although I haven't shot it yet

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5225390 07/30/14 03:40 AM
T
TexasVine Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Congrats from another left handed shooter. Stainless is a good choice.

TexasVine
[Linked Image]
Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5228664 07/31/14 08:48 PM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Went to the range yesterday with an experienced hunter/ friend of mine. He helped me sight the 270 in. The recoil was pretty stout, but not as bad as expected. I'm really happy I chose a 270 and not a lighter caliber. I shot about 14 shots at 50 yards, then 5 shots at 100. Fairly good grouping, defiantly need more range time. Shoulder is a little sore, but have a limbsaver on order. With stock recoil pad though, wasn't too bad. I've never been deer hunting but am hoping with some more range time, and a patient guide to teach me the ropes, I'll be ready for this deer season. I'll try to update progress regularly on this journey to go from never shooting a rifle, to becoming a proficient hunter. From what I understand,based on age I don't need to take a hunter ed course (I'm 45), I may do it anyway just to get as much knowledge as I can. Any other resources and tips are appreciated.

Re: First rifle...stainless or not [Re: Nick1] #5228713 07/31/14 09:16 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You're doing good. Keep shooting, you will get better. Learn the vitals of every animal you will be hunting so when the time comes you can properly place the shot. Save your brass. It is now fire formed for your rifle. You may want to load your own some day or have someone load it for you. There is no better brass than second fired brass from the same rifle once it's been properly resized and all of them trimmed to the same length. Plus its just plain wasteful to throw it away. If nothing else, someone will give you cash for it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide