Forums46
Topics538,052
Posts9,732,417
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY #5070945 04/15/14 03:11 AM
RKHarm24 Offline OP
sergeant
OP Offline
sergeant

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: RKHarm24] #5070971 04/15/14 03:24 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Saves more time than money. I see the ATF pulling an Akin's Accelerator on this thing though.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: RKHarm24] #5071083 04/15/14 05:14 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Ohhhh boy....

I dunno. You know the old saying "If it seems too good to be true..."

Currently true but how long is it gonna last?

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: RKHarm24] #5071113 04/15/14 06:50 AM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Lets say you buy a setup like this. If the ATF were to reclassify it as a SBR, what would the owner have to do?

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: RKHarm24] #5071197 04/15/14 11:28 AM
B
bookxv Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Remove the brace? Modify so that it can't be shouldered? Lose the $140 you paid for it?

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: RKHarm24] #5071364 04/15/14 01:31 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
As just a normal dude who currently no intentions of being combative with my firearms, I've never really seen the need for an sbr.

Even with this legal loophole, it just doesn't do anything for me. The best arguement that's applicable to me is the "truck" gun arguement. But even there my 30-30 has worked fine so far. This whole thing is just too iffy for a conservative (from a decision standpoint as well as political) person like me. It walks such a thin line that how well the Velcro holds up can be difference between legal and federal felony illegal? No thank you.

If I really wanted on, I'd rather take the safe route and go through the ATF. At least I have the full backing of known regulations as opposed to a copy of an ATF letter to a cop floating around online.
But then again being married to a lawyer makes one kinda gun why about these sort of things, pun intended

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: Korean Redneck] #5071592 04/15/14 03:27 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
I've never really seen the need for an sbr.

Once you've had a taste of a SBR its hard to look at normal sized rifles the same. I didn't really see the point of SBR for a long time. The fact that you can break it down into a small case or backpack or add a suppressor without adding a ton of overall length is a huge plus for portability.

As for the Sig Brace, I think its stupid and just asking for trouble. If you're gonna pay $140 for a stupid looking stock, might as well spend a little more for a real stock. Same thing with the Slidefire stocks. Just stupid. Do it right or don't do it at all. I feel the same way when guys were getting out of state CHLs instead of TX CHLs.

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: Korean Redneck] #5072264 04/15/14 09:03 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
As just a normal dude who currently no intentions of being combative with my firearms, I've never really seen the need for an sbr.

Even with this legal loophole, it just doesn't do anything for me. The best arguement that's applicable to me is the "truck" gun arguement. But even there my 30-30 has worked fine so far...

Some people want them, some people don't. One reason would be to have a shorter gun. Here's an example:

Both guns are chambered for 300 AAC Blackout. Both guns have a QD mount to accept the suppressor. The top gun has a 16" barrel. The bottom gun has a 8.2" barrel (SBR tax stamped). Even with the suppressor (tax stamped) attached, it's shorter than the 16" barreled rifle. With the suppressor removed and having a short barrel, it is easy to pull that rifle out and drop a pig or coyote on the ranch.

In some states like Indiana, they can't hunt with "high power" rifles. They can use a rifle chambered with pistol ammo and they can use a pistol chambered with rifle ammo (any pistol). So for them, using the Sig SB15 brace on an AR pistol is the only option if they want to use a caliber like a 6.8 to deer hunt.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: jeepercreeper] #5072274 04/15/14 09:07 PM
N
NTXBowfisher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper

Once you've had a taste of a SBR its hard to look at normal sized rifles the same. I didn't really see the point of SBR for a long time. The fact that you can break it down into a small case or backpack or add a suppressor without adding a ton of overall length is a huge plus for portability.

As for the Sig Brace, I think its stupid and just asking for trouble. If you're gonna pay $140 for a stupid looking stock, might as well spend a little more for a real stock. Same thing with the Slidefire stocks. Just stupid. Do it right or don't do it at all. I feel the same way when guys were getting out of state CHLs instead of TX CHLs.

exactly.

signature coming soon
Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: RKHarm24] #5072314 04/15/14 09:28 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Has anyone ever tried getting the SBR and Suppressor rules repealed?

[Linked Image]

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: RKHarm24] #5072339 04/15/14 09:43 PM
RKHarm24 Offline OP
sergeant
OP Offline
sergeant
Try getting your paperwork in a hurry to transport your SBR across statelines every time you want to take it with you.

Fast Forward, Pistol with Sig Brace can be taken anywhere any time.

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: RKHarm24] #5072443 04/15/14 10:53 PM
N
NTXBowfisher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: RWH24
Try getting your paperwork in a hurry to transport your SBR across statelines every time you want to take it with you.

I don't understand, why would you leave Tejas?

signature coming soon
Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: RKHarm24] #5072533 04/16/14 12:02 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: RWH24

Not Chicago.

And that's why I own more than 1 firearm.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: RKHarm24] #5072565 04/16/14 12:19 AM
T
thedoveshooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I bet the gun grabbers are already loosing sleep on this. Hate to be a "doubting Tom", but I don't think that will last long.

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: RKHarm24] #5072710 04/16/14 01:23 AM
RKHarm24 Offline OP
sergeant
OP Offline
sergeant
Traveling with your SBR!!! Taking it for a vacation to some luxurious location for shooting mecca.

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: RKHarm24] #5073338 04/16/14 01:26 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Ok I should have prefaced my "don't see a need for an sbr" with the statement for me and my preferences. Make no mistake I think they a cool and total get why one does the silenced sbr. I just have a hard time paying for one. The analogy is like is of course if love to have a my childhood sports car and can more than pay for it now, but unfortunately the boring practicalities of life suggest I drive an SUV that's more costly.

I still stand by the original claim I was trying to make. Even if I were to justify to myself a need for an sbr, this would not be the way to. I'm just too much of a wuss to take the risk. I'd much rather get a stamp and deal with the inconveniences. The risk is too high for not a huge gain in reward.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: jeepercreeper] #5075531 04/17/14 05:08 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K

The slidefire stocks are stupid? Not really, they are pretty fun, especially if you don't want to drop 10 grand for a transferable machine gun. Completely different when that much money is involved.

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: Korean Redneck] #5075540 04/17/14 05:15 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
The analogy is like is of course if love to have a my childhood sports car and can more than pay for it now, but unfortunately the boring practicalities of life suggest I drive an SUV that's more costly.

I still stand by the original claim I was trying to make. Even if I were to justify to myself a need for an sbr, this would not be the way to. I'm just too much of a wuss to take the risk. I'd much rather get a stamp and deal with the inconveniences. The risk is too high for not a huge gain in reward.

First, you should definitely get the sports car if you can afford it. It makes the commute so much better, you only live once!

Second, there is no risk with the Sig brace. It's perfectly legal.

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: DocHorton] #5075635 04/17/14 06:07 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: DocHorton

...for now. What happens if the ATF changes their minds and classifies it as a butt stock? They've done it before.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: krmitchell] #5075724 04/17/14 06:52 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

The slidefire stocks are stupid? Not really, they are pretty fun, especially if you don't want to drop 10 grand for a transferable machine gun. Completely different when that much money is involved.

Don't confuse stupid with fun. I have no doubt its fun to replicate a fully automatic. I also have no doubt that its stupid to risk going to jail because a LEO doesn't know the difference between a slide fire stock weapon and an unregistered full auto.

BTW, you can accomplish the same result by bump firing....and it's free.

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: Toxarch] #5075736 04/17/14 06:56 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Toxarch

...for now. What happens if the ATF changes their minds and classifies it as a butt stock? They've done it before.

Exactly. Legal today, who knows about tomorrow. Your SBR workaround today may become a worthless plastic turd tomorrow.

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: jeepercreeper] #5075741 04/17/14 06:58 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K

Don't confuse stupid with fun. I have no doubt its fun to replicate a fully automatic. I also have no doubt that its stupid to risk going to jail because a LEO doesn't know the difference between a slide fire stock weapon and an unregistered full auto.

BTW, you can accomplish the same result by bump firing....and it's free.

I don't think I'm risking anything by shooting one. The things are pretty popular and I've not heard of a single person getting arrested for having one. To each his own though, we've got one and every person that has shot it thought it was tons of fun.

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: krmitchell] #5075839 04/17/14 07:52 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
To each his own though, we've got one and every person that has shot it thought it was tons of fun.

Was it your ammo or their ammo? I'll come shoot your ammo all day long and have lots of fun doing ammo dumps. It's not so much fun dumping $15-45 per magazine of my own ammo.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: Toxarch] #5075848 04/17/14 07:56 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
To each his own though, we've got one and every person that has shot it thought it was tons of fun.

Was it your ammo or their ammo? I'll come shoot your ammo all day long and have lots of fun doing ammo dumps. It's not so much fun dumping $15-45 per magazine of my own ammo.

Lol, that's my one rule. You can shoot all day long, you pay for the ammo though. I gotta agree about going through 40-50 dollars worth of ammo in 5 seconds, but it is fun to act like rambo every now and then. I have a bunch of cheap ammo that I picked up during the last panic that I've been going through lately. Steel cased crap.

Re: Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace ************* SAVE MONEY [Re: jeepercreeper] #5075886 04/17/14 08:16 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Exactly. Legal today, who knows about tomorrow. Your SBR workaround today may become a worthless plastic turd tomorrow.

For the record I have several registered SBR's and I don't own a Sig Brace, so it's not "mine". But playing the "what if" game is a bit silly. Like I said, "It's perfectly legal", and I can see the allure of avoiding a $200 tax stamp and a 4-12 month wait.

I'm not aware of the ATF reclassifying any pistol buffers as butt stocks in the past. Has that happened before?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide