[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5003067 03/03/14 10:10 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Oh I forgot about shipwreck in Bryan Tx... Go eat crawfish there every year and a few other off times... good stuff and a nice older style place

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: HoldPoint] #5006635 03/05/14 07:27 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: HoldPoint
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Fish daddys in CS aint bad. Always liked joes crab shack like any shoebie would.. I ate at a Cajun place last time I was in Allen Tx for a dealer meeting... the food and scenery was very nice...

Dodies?
Chris is a super guy. I love me some Dodies, especially their crabcakes. Pappadeaux has a killer salmon evette, topped with a dozen raw with a hurricane...Heaven, pure heaven.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5006914 03/05/14 09:59 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Gilhooley's and Topwater Grill San Leon, before Hurricane Rita and Ike - Flying Dutchman in Kemah, Joe Lee's Kemah, Papa's in Webster and the Water Street Oyster Bar Restaurant, Corpus Christi

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5010691 03/08/14 01:29 AM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Iredell Cafe has great fried catfish and you get a whole lot of it. If your ever in the area, got to stop and enjoy up

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5014806 03/10/14 10:08 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The Diner with the bright blue neon lights on east side I-45 'Tween the Loop and the turnoff to Hobby, near the old Oshmans Warehouse...Redfish Vera Cruz: grilled redfish filets with shrimp & oysters on top

Mulates in Breaux Bridge on the bayou is the original and Mo Bettah than the one in "Red Stick" & New Orleans.

The big place on east side of I-49 besides the race track & couple miles north of I-10 in Lafayette with the BIG Gator in the middle of the dining room. Great Cajun band and fun crowd that welcomed a stranger.

Tunks On the Lake south of Alex, boudain & fresh fried 'gator is sumthin else.

A family owned sub shop and Deli just north of I-10 as you come off the Ponchatrain Bridge headed west. 1st or 2nd exit & Right at the light just east of the Mall & right at the 1st street & 1 block over going east. Monster Home made Po boys made to order.

There was a fancy place right on the river in Downtown New Orleans on Tchopatoulas St I much preffered to Brennan's.

The restaurant with a deli attached behind the Chevy House on Hwy 80 in downtown Monroe. Its where the local Monroe bidnizz owners eat wearing house shoes. Fresh Mud Bugs, Shrimp & Oysters outta the deli are a treat too.

For a fast cafeteria style place and great food on the way to the NOLA airport, the New Orleans Hamburger Company on Airline in Metarie worth the look see. Italian place at the end of the street ain't bad either.

What's the name of that place in the middle of nowhere out by the Battle Ship Texas Monument. Great tall place with a Pitch 'till You Win platter I always got hurt with back in the day when I could and did eat 6-8 dozen oysters on the half shell and still eat a fried shrimp & fish dinner...

The Sand Dollar on Folly Beach, ocean front out side of Charleston SC, Pompano Almondine with 2 hour old fresh caught Pompano is memorable - listening to the cook argue with the fishing boat captain that was just arriving when we drove in and tied up at the back door...and bring us out a choice fresh caught stuff he'd just Delivered FROM the boat...

Fresh halibut in the Venice California Marina Diner...My Halibut I;d caught 4 hours earlier off Malibu, fixed to order in deep fried filets 6-8" long 1/4 lb fingers and fed lots of us & wait staff too.

The Pelican? in the Sausalito Marina @ the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge, fresh octopus to scampi...10 item sampler plate was a smash hit.

Too many years travelling but some of these are where I would start if I was back in that town.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 03/10/14 10:20 PM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5015035 03/11/14 12:38 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Da-gum Wiley Coyote, you get around.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5015370 03/11/14 03:45 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I spent 35-40 years on the road as a Sales Rep of some sort. Small son went to college in San Jose California on my airline miles and I saw him in Dallas more than a buddies kid who was at UT in Austin.

Sorry about ignoring the name of the thread...there were lots more where those came from.... so I'll add a couple Texas Fish House names

Hucks, in Denison, just off Hwy 75 behind the Fossil Creek liquor store. Gotta be the Very Best Fried Mississippi Farm Raised Catfish I ever ate anywhere, including in Mississippi.

Farrah's, in Kerrville. Spos'd to be a high end Continental/Italian place in th Hill Country but the several fish dish's I tried were worth ignoring all the usual 'Que places for a nice sit down Restaurant that you'd take your wife or fi'ancee to for Valentines or Mothers Day.

I also like Water Street in Corpus, but last several times down there I wound up at a place off I-37 right before you got to Robbstown on the north side of the service road..."Somebody's Roadhouse" as I recall. Gotta go to Snoopy's for lunch underneath the east end of the JFK bridge on SPID right on the water at least once a trip. Not a to die for place food wise but just fun & lots of eye candy during Spring Break.

There is an Outdoor Covered Patio Mexican food place in San Antonio on south Vance Jackson, north side of I-10 a couple blocks behind the ancient old Holiday Inn, that does super Monterrey styled fish dish's besides the traditional stuff. Used to be a Dairy Queen that has had a Million Dollar makeover, with live parrots flying round until the Health Dept got on them. I'd take my New York folks in there after a Buyers visit at the SA Rgl Dillards Office and blow their minds with the free flying birds.

Had a couple places in Matamoros I loved, and would eat there every trip. My fav had quail & turtle & swordfish & and and and on the menu. Would walk over alone many times with no apprehension back in those days...funnest place was a huge Chinese joint 2nd street over from the 2 story on her main drag down to the Caddilac Bar, no english spoken strictly Chinese or Spanish on the menu and Chinese wait staff made a for a fun time. My pidgin Chinese is way worse than my pidgin Spanish.
NOT GOING TO MEXICO ANY MORE ...especially alone & unarmed like I did in those days.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5016055 03/11/14 04:40 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Dirty Al's...south Padre

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Erathkid] #5016089 03/11/14 04:59 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Originally Posted By: HoldPoint
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Fish daddys in CS aint bad. Always liked joes crab shack like any shoebie would.. I ate at a Cajun place last time I was in Allen Tx for a dealer meeting... the food and scenery was very nice...

Dodies?
Chris is a super guy. I love me some Dodies, especially their crabcakes. Pappadeaux has a killer salmon evette, topped with a dozen raw with a hurricane...Heaven, pure heaven.

The waitresses were top notch... food was just a bonus

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: TxAg] #5016102 03/11/14 05:08 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TxAg
Forgot about Topwater Grill down in San Leon. Awesome fried shrimp!

Been there, got the tee shirt. San Leon Low Life!

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5016110 03/11/14 05:11 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My all time favorite is a tow sack of oysters and a case of ice cold beer. Two lawn chairs in my buddy's front yard in San Leon. Looking out across the bay, shucking and jiving. Now that's the good stuff.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5018190 03/12/14 09:01 PM
M
Mickey Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Guido's Galveston

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5018602 03/13/14 01:18 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Was it Guido's that had a cafeteria hole in the wall kinda deal down around the north end of the Galveston Boat Club basin? THAT was some good chow and way cheaper than the sit down place on the Sea Wall. Everything was fresh and hot...and always crowded with the locals....just had limitd serving hours, an could sell out of stuff fast too.

When I am out of town, I ALWAYS like to find were the locals eat 'cause you know it'll be good, or the place'll go outta bidniz.

Found a place in London that way from the hotel's conceriege one time, upstairs over a house. Had to stand in line out on the street and then up the stairs for an hour to get in, and next to a liquor store so's you could buy and take your own wine or whiskey in, or drink it on the stairs, and self serve just a set up charge for the glasses and ice, close to the Marble Arch & Speakers Corner...Awesome Dover Sole hangin' off 3 sides of the plate & all the fixin's for about $15 bux US at the time + tip.
Ron

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5024208 03/16/14 11:53 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
doadies is going broke. try shuck n jive. Awesomeness

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5031848 03/21/14 01:54 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
My wife and I eat out every Friday night now that we are retired and the kids are all on their own. I live in Corpus Christi and have quite the selection. In spite if this I found that the Baytown Seafood restaurant in Victoria, I worked there for 5 years, to have the most variety, the most volume and the best prices. their shrimp and oysters (15) for less than 12.00 and there gumbo and catfish at less than 10.00 can't be beat. They also have a great etoufee.

My next choice is Snoopy's on the island.

You cant beat Water Street in The city however always a wait and pricy!!

For overall great food with a French flare the Dragon Fly on the island. A small place but always packed on Friday and Saturdays.

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5039658 03/26/14 03:04 PM
F
fredeboy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Fishermans Market in Longview Texas. Best oysters on half shell and fried catfish ever!
Their tatar sauce is Greatness

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: n-all] #5106570 05/09/14 04:57 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Giving it a try today, will report back!

Originally Posted By: n-all
try Soul Fish Grill..on Plano Rd..I enoy Big Shucks as well..met the owner in there around Christmas...

texas flag

—Groucho Marx

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: WileyCoyote] #5106864 05/09/14 08:04 PM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
I spent 35-40 years on the road as a Sales Rep of some sort. Small son went to college in San Jose California on my airline miles and I saw him in Dallas more than a buddies kid who was at UT in Austin.

Sorry about ignoring the name of the thread...there were lots more where those came from.... so I'll add a couple Texas Fish House names

Hucks, in Denison, just off Hwy 75 behind the Fossil Creek liquor store. Gotta be the Very Best Fried Mississippi Farm Raised Catfish I ever ate anywhere, including in Mississippi.

Farrah's, in Kerrville. Spos'd to be a high end Continental/Italian place in th Hill Country but the several fish dish's I tried were worth ignoring all the usual 'Que places for a nice sit down Restaurant that you'd take your wife or fi'ancee to for Valentines or Mothers Day.

I also like Water Street in Corpus, but last several times down there I wound up at a place off I-37 right before you got to Robbstown on the north side of the service road..."Somebody's Roadhouse" as I recall. Gotta go to Snoopy's for lunch underneath the east end of the JFK bridge on SPID right on the water at least once a trip. Not a to die for place food wise but just fun & lots of eye candy during Spring Break.

There is an Outdoor Covered Patio Mexican food place in San Antonio on south Vance Jackson, north side of I-10 a couple blocks behind the ancient old Holiday Inn, that does super Monterrey styled fish dish's besides the traditional stuff. Used to be a Dairy Queen that has had a Million Dollar makeover, with live parrots flying round until the Health Dept got on them. I'd take my New York folks in there after a Buyers visit at the SA Rgl Dillards Office and blow their minds with the free flying birds.

Had a couple places in Matamoros I loved, and would eat there every trip. My fav had quail & turtle & swordfish & and and and on the menu. Would walk over alone many times with no apprehension back in those days...funnest place was a huge Chinese joint 2nd street over from the 2 story on her main drag down to the Caddilac Bar, no english spoken strictly Chinese or Spanish on the menu and Chinese wait staff made a for a fun time. My pidgin Chinese is way worse than my pidgin Spanish.
NOT GOING TO MEXICO ANY MORE ...especially alone & unarmed like I did in those days.
Ron

La Fogata....that place is awesome.

Last edited by Ox190; 05/09/14 08:06 PM.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5106878 05/09/14 08:15 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Shipwrecks in Bryan Tx... really good food

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5107020 05/09/14 09:59 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Stub

try Soul Fish Grill..on Plano Rd..I enoy Big Shucks as well..met the owner in there around Christmas...

Please report back. I haven't tried Fishermans Market, and Longview ain't that far....

My fave near Tyler for authentic Cajun is Wade's in Chandler in the old-but-remodeled railroad depot.

In Dallas, I like S&D or Dodies (I hope they're not going under).

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5107494 05/10/14 11:05 AM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
I met Pitchfork Predator and Erath Kid there for lunch yesterday. We all agreed, the food was pretty good at a fair price.
I tried just a taste of the Gumbo, good flavor but it was more like soup than Gumbo so don't go there!

I would go back.

Originally Posted By: Stub

texas flag

—Groucho Marx

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5107554 05/10/14 12:45 PM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
The wife and I are having lunch there again today. This will be our third visit since I heard about the place on this forum. The first time there I met one of the owners, Phil. Real nice guy. The second time I was there Phil was sponsoring a car show.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: Stub] #5108178 05/11/14 12:59 AM
T
texasdude28 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Kings Inn as an all around seafood heaven, Officers Club in Corpus for shrimp night. Still dream about going there.

Re: Lets Talk Seafood! [Re: texasdude28] #5108227 05/11/14 01:41 AM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: texasdude28
Kings Inn as an all around seafood heaven, Officers Club in Corpus for shrimp night. Still dream about going there.

Gotta second here concerning your statement about Kings Inn. Hard to beat! But I have never in my life, tasted crawfish etoufee that could touch what I ate in Baytown at the original Baytown Seafood Company. And it was the prettiest I ever ate as well...A beautiful rich golden red color. I've tried others, even other Baytown Seafood Company restaurants. Never the same.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide