Forums46
Topics538,288
Posts9,735,353
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4988981 02/24/14 01:27 AM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
It's not. It was an example. Elk err destroying the habitat. Sorry the wolves got out of hand, but that's why wildlife management is more about people management. They didn't think that seventy years ago, the wolf population would do this, and people would become crazy tree huggers. It's an accident, but wolves aren't bad. Too many are tough.

Wolves are great, so long as they don't introduce them into your backyard…

I don't see a massive push to reintroduce grizzlies to All the parks in California…

Don't see a push to bring wolves back to New York State…

They pushed to introduce wolves into the flyover country so the coasts could feel happy about an effort and neither had to deal with it.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4988988 02/24/14 01:33 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
So as long as it's not in your back yard it's ok? Lol. That's probably the stupidest thing I've heard. Reintroducing wolves into the panhandle here would be stupid for sure, but in Yellowstone it was logical, it just want handled right.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4988992 02/24/14 01:37 AM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
That was an ironic statement man.

Why would it be stupid in the panhandle? There is plenty of food, deer and antelope populations are pretty high. They aren't restricted by fencing… coyotes seem to do well.

Why wouldn't introducing wolves be a good thing? Its certainly much lower population density than California or the East Coast.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4989000 02/24/14 01:41 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
scratch an then they wonder why i go up creek without a paddle. whin i get tired i can float back. im not muyloco im postaddic flag

i'm postaddic
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: AmoCuernos] #4989032 02/24/14 01:50 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos

Why would it be stupid in the panhandle? There is plenty of food, deer and antelope populations are pretty high. They aren't restricted by fencing… coyotes seem to do well.

Why wouldn't introducing wolves be a good thing? Its certainly much lower population density than California or the East Coast.

Our deer population isn't that good, and we have no antelope. Now if you mean pronghorn, we have a few, but not a sustainable population.
And the reason wolves used to be in the panhandle was because elk used to populate the panhandle.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4989048 02/24/14 01:56 AM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A

Our deer population isn't that good, and we have no antelope. Now if you mean pronghorn, we have a few, but not a sustainable population.
And the reason wolves used to be in the panhandle was because elk used to populate the panhandle.

Oh for crying out loud.

Last edited by AmoCuernos; 02/24/14 01:57 AM.
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4989100 02/24/14 02:13 AM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
So why are you so against wolves in Yellowstone? And I'm talking about the species that was supposed to be reintroduced. The wrong one got introduced, that is a mistake, and it's caused problems no doubt.

I'm not against wolves in North America. I'm against the liberal/ hippie, non-hunter, and British spokesman narrator only telling how great they are. I have major respect for coyotes, and I shoot everyone I see on site. The same should be done with wolves. The ONLY thing that will keep their numbers (other than our intervention) is starvation and dehydration. And that has not reduced their numbers for the last years they have been reintroduced.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4989103 02/24/14 02:14 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

My ranch is in the panhandle I have an outstanding population of pronghorns and a quickly growing mulie, WT and even Elk population.

I actually can get CD permits every year do to the plethora of pronghorns.

Best not to paint a broad stroke.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: AmoCuernos] #4989106 02/24/14 02:15 AM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity

Oh for crying out loud.

Yeah. Head on up to the Rita Blanca and observe the amount of Pronghorns are roaming free.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4989112 02/24/14 02:17 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Hell you don't even have to go that far they are with in city limits of Amarillo

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4989117 02/24/14 02:19 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

My ranch is in the panhandle I have an outstanding population of pronghorns and a quickly growing mulie, WT and even Elk population.

I bet you're not in the high plains. And you aren't talking about the majority either, just your well managed place.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4989119 02/24/14 02:19 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Hell you don't even have to go that far they are with in city limits of Amarillo

A sustainable hunting population?

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4989142 02/24/14 02:27 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Yes, but don't think I'd want people blasting rifles in wide open country with lots of houses around.

You venture much to the highplains? I'm guessing not.

Where do you think the rest of texas gets their relocation antelope?

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4989151 02/24/14 02:29 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I bet you're not in the high plains. And you aren't talking about the majority either, just your well managed place.

You bet very wrong. Lol

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4989347 02/24/14 04:25 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Yes, but don't think I'd want people blasting rifles in wide open country with lots of houses around.

I live in the high plains. And what relocation antelope? We putting black buck or something somewhere?

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4989376 02/24/14 04:39 AM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A

I live in the high plains. And what relocation antelope? We putting black buck or something somewhere?

Again with this?

Seriously? Yeah, you are right. They're pronghorn. lol

Last edited by AmoCuernos; 02/24/14 04:42 AM.
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4989403 02/24/14 05:02 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I would kill a wolf in a heart beat. Just like a coyote.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4989434 02/24/14 05:46 AM
M
Mako1970 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Most hunter's mentality is that the game they pursue is "theirs" and any other predator is in direct competition with them and must be removed. This is especially true in Texas with the introduction of high fences and exotics. Wildlife populations have changed much over the years due to habitat alterations because of farming and ranching practices. Some have faired very well (whitetail deer, snow geese, small predators)and other have not (buffalo, wolves, bears). We have disrupted the natural cycle of population fluctuation considerably and spend most of our efforts managing those species most important to "us" and not the ecosystem as a whole. Management of wildlife becomes very complex because of all the interest groups involved.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4989761 02/24/14 03:30 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I wish I could have seen Texas with bison, black bear, gray wolves and grizzly on the prairie, big horn sheep, elk, moose, bear and wolves in the mountains, Karankawa wading across a 3' deep Galveston bay shucking oysters and bow-fishing for red drum or picking up pecans and hunting deer and black bear around Eagle Lake or the old growth piney woods with red wolves and 20+ foot alligators in every oxbow, but those days are gone and they aren't coming back.

Reintroducing wolves is feasible in areas West of the Louisiana purchase where the fed still owns more than half of the land and you have LARGE parcels of public wilderness. It's not going to happen in Texas; there's very little wilderness left here. There are efforts underway to reintroduce black bear and, sooner or later, someone is going to try to get red wolves re-established in the big thicket, but I don't think either is going to be very successful. Black bear maybe; they're more like coyotes and can make a living anywhere - but red wolves are more sensitive and just plain look too much like coyotes.

In any event, wolf reintroduction here is a non-starter if you ask me and NOT because hunters are greedy over "their" deer, but rather because it's incompatible with agriculture on private land, which is what most of Texas is.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4989840 02/24/14 04:16 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Hell you an't even have to go that far they are with in city limits of Amarillo

No you don't, you live in the southern edge of the panhandle. My ranch is north of dalhart. The high plains.

You should call TPWD and tell them they're idiots and should change their publications. While your on the phone tell them their isn't a substainable population for hunting also in the highplains.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4989918 02/24/14 04:54 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Southern edge, are you dumb? Plainview is the southern edge, lol. And dalhart is considered the high plains with rolling plains mixed in.

Last edited by KWood_TSU; 02/24/14 04:55 PM.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4989930 02/24/14 04:58 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4989991 02/24/14 05:42 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Southern edge, are you dumb? Plainview is the southern edge, lol. And dalhart is considered the high plains with rolling plains mixed in.

You're on the southern east edge where it makes its L. Hence the rolling plains part. Highplains is the western part of the panhandle.
I firmly in the HP north of dalhart via 60miles+ i stretch over the state border. You live on a border outlier, technically you could claim rolling plains or HP depending on what side of town you live.

Dumb really? You're the one questioning the pronghorn population as not huntable in potter county. Apparently all the HP in addition to potter county. Only pronghorn population that is struggling is those in the Trans Pecos area that was and continuing to be restocked from the highplains area

Your also the same guy that has repeatably called all ranchers dumb and the demise of the land scape,, advocated for the protection of the praire dog, and now a none native wolf. You compared cow elk calf recruitment to feral piglet recruitement, you also stated hunting wasn't a viable option of elk population control, although we have hunt countless species to extinction, including the meridian elk.

Should I continue?

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4990016 02/24/14 05:59 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Calling "The" Clown Dumb clap roflmao

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: stxranchman] #4990027 02/24/14 06:06 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Calling "The" Clown Dumb clap roflmao

Ironic smile

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide