Forums46
Topics538,832
Posts9,741,905
Members87,118
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4986985 02/22/14 03:46 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Elk are a type of cervid… they are in the deer family… it doesn't mean that it is correct in the US to call them deer instead of elk or wapiti.

How many times have you seen killer whales or orcas called "dolphins" every time there is a reference?

Okay, I can see that you don't understand taxonomy. Killer whales are not dolphins and I can't say I have seen them called such. However, here you are referring from a specific to a specific and it would be somewhat backwards and wrong. While killer whales are not dolphins, it would be okay to refer to dolphins as whales because they are whales. They are just a particular type of whale (general classification) that is called a dolphin (specific classification).

Elk (specific) are a type of deer (general). Deer is the more generalized term, so it is appropriate. If he would have referred to the elk as reindeer, that would have been wrong

Some people on the forum here are to refer to coyotes (specific) as dogs (general) as they are in the Canidae family (aka the dog family). People refer to lions (specific), puma (specific), caracals (specific), tigers (specific), etc. as cats (general) and this is acceptable as well.

It isn't an uneducated statement, but actually an educated statement, just generalized not specific.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4987042 02/22/14 04:43 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
Elk are a type of cervid… they are in the deer family… it doesn't mean that it is correct in the US to call them deer instead of elk or wapiti.

How many times have you seen killer whales or orcas called "dolphins" every time there is a reference?

Okay, I can see that you don't understand taxonomy. Killer whales are not dolphins and I can't say I have seen them called such. However, here you are referring from a specific to a specific and it would be somewhat backwards and wrong. While killer whales are not dolphins, it would be okay to refer to dolphins as whales because they are whales. They are just a particular type of whale (general classification) that is called a dolphin (specific classification).

Elk (specific) are a type of deer (general). Deer is the more generalized term, so it is appropriate. If he would have referred to the elk as reindeer, that would have been wrong

Some people on the forum here are to refer to coyotes (specific) as dogs (general) as they are in the Canidae family (aka the dog family). People refer to lions (specific), puma (specific), caracals (specific), tigers (specific), etc. as cats (general) and this is acceptable as well.

It isn't an uneducated statement, but actually an educated statement, just generalized not specific.

My point was that you don't see them called dolphins… but they are the largest of the dolphin family.

Look it up, because you are 100% wrong.

Different families are treated differently… Would I be correct to call a zebra or a donkey a horse? well technically… but everyone would look at me like I was an idiot.

Calling an moose, elk and caribou "deer" is just like that for americans.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4987089 02/22/14 05:23 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
gold jacket, green jacket....

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: AmoCuernos] #4987105 02/22/14 05:34 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Who gives a chit? It was a joke I made.

back Which is wolves.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4987626 02/23/14 02:13 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
offtopic any one get a hog today, scratch i'm postaddic back man alters the coarse of things more than anything flag

i'm postaddic
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: Navasot] #4987825 02/23/14 03:54 AM
J
Jon P Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Navasot
What did they think would happen.. they never watch lion king as a kid??

roflmao

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4988135 02/23/14 01:25 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

My point was that you don't see them called dolphins… but they are the largest of the dolphin family.

Different families are treated differently… Would I be correct to call a zebra or a donkey a horse? well technically… but everyone would look at me like I was an idiot.

Sure enough, killer whales are in the dolphin family, but so what? That does not change the fact that they are what they are or that elk are a type of deer. Just because Americans don't follow taxonomy doesn't make following taxonomy wrong. It just means that those who don't follow it are wrong or unaccustomed.

"Deer" is a generalized term, whether you understand that or not, just like "cat" is a generalized term for bobcat, lynx, jaguarondi, and mountain lion, even for Americans. The narrator was not wrong in the use of the term. He wasn't specific, but he wasn't wrong.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4988147 02/23/14 01:44 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
http://screen.yahoo.com/viral-hits/wolves-alter-course-rivers-162607632.html

Wolves are great! We love wolves! We need to protect these wolves since they are so benficial! barf

I only made if halfway through it. Those are the biggest deer I've ever seen! I was stupid to buy a $565 elk tag in November since those are actually deer.

scratch tis amazing how a topic about wolves can get offtopic confused2 i'm postaddic flag

i'm postaddic
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4988200 02/23/14 02:35 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

back Which is wolves.

Don't spoil the moment! clap

We've finally got something to argue about instead of HF vrs LF and 30.06 vrs .308.
cool2

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: Hunt n Fish] #4988259 02/23/14 03:16 PM
E
edwardd Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

back Which is wolves.

Don't spoil the moment! clap

We've finally got something to argue about instead of HF vrs LF and 30.06 vrs .308.
cool2
What happened to the stalking versus setting up feeders for hunting techniques?

As somebody else pointed out, it was once thought elk and red deer are the same species. And how elk in Europe means moose.

You could also approach it as American English compared to British English. Besides spelling, also have differences between terminology.

Just like asking for chips in any region that is predominately British English is not going to get you what we Americans consider to be chips, but more of chunky french fries.

Neither are wrong, it just depends on the person you are communicating with. In which case, I'm always right. Other people's communicative skills are horrid, not mine.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4988264 02/23/14 03:19 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

Sure enough, killer whales are in the dolphin family, but so what? That does not change the fact that they are what they are or that elk are a type of deer. Just because Americans don't follow taxonomy doesn't make following taxonomy wrong. It just means that those who don't follow it are wrong or unaccustomed.

"Deer" is a generalized term, whether you understand that or not, just like "cat" is a generalized term for bobcat, lynx, jaguarondi, and mountain lion, even for Americans. The narrator was not wrong in the use of the term. He wasn't specific, but he wasn't wrong.

I think you need to go back and look to see that I recognize that deer is a generalized term. The only one who has been wrong about taxonomy on this thread is you. My suspicion is that the writers of the narration for this video mistook the elk for red deer. It would be understandable to call them deer at some point in the video, but to continually call them deer with no reference to "elk" makes me believe that they believe they ARE talking about them in the most specific term.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4988608 02/23/14 08:39 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Wolves were reintroduced bc the elk population was out of control. Hunting wouldn't of gotten the population under control. The only thing they did was they reintroduced the wrong subspecies. So, it might suck, but all wolves aren't bad, they are an important part of the wildlife hierarchy ecosystem.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4988620 02/23/14 08:50 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
Wolves were reintroduced bc the elk population was out of control. Hunting wouldn't of gotten the population under control. The only thing they did was they reintroduced the wrong subspecies. So, it might suck, but all wolves aren't bad, they are an important part of the wildlife hierarchy ecosystem.

Wolves were introduced to make people feel good about introducing wolves... Don't kid yourself.

Hunting big species like elk CERTAINLY can keep a population under control... All you have to do is adjust limits and seasons accordingly?!?!

Wolves being around is fine. The Explosion of wolves due to an easy, non hunted prey population is the problem... That and the American sportsman having to put up with the 40 years of boom bust transition for it to stabilize so some moron in manhattan feels good about there being wolves in the west that he'll never go see.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: AmoCuernos] #4988638 02/23/14 09:03 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos

Wolves were introduced to make people feel good about introducing wolves... Don't kid yourself.

Hunting big species like elk CERTAINLY can keep a population under control... All you have to do is adjust limits and seasons accordingly?!?!

Wolves being around is fine. The Explosion of wolves due to an easy, non hunted prey population is the problem... That and the American sportsman having to put up with the 40 years of boom bust transition for it to stabilize so some moron in manhattan feels good about there being wolves in the west that he'll never go see.

I agree with you on most deer stuff, but on this, you are wrong. It wasn't to make people feel good, that's not why they did it, even though that might of happened, making people feel good that is.

They reintroduced the wrong subspecies, a wolf who are double than what was originally there. And no, you can't hunt a population down that was drastically over populated. You can bring it down maybe, but not get out managed. It's kind of like the pig population now, out of control, and we can't hunt then enough to bring numbers down.

So you sir, don't fool yourself

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4988666 02/23/14 09:25 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos

I agree with you on most deer stuff, but on this, you are wrong. It wasn't to make people feel good, that's not why they did it, even though that might of happened, making people feel good that is.

They reintroduced the wrong subspecies, a wolf who are double than what was originally there. And no, you can't hunt a population down that was drastically over populated. You can bring it down maybe, but not get out managed. It's kind of like the pig population now, out of control, and we can't hunt then enough to bring numbers down.

So you sir, don't fool yourself

Uhh… how did the elk population go away the first time?

Pigs being the same as elk??? Elk in yellowstone before the introduction had a .42 calf survival rate/cow.

Pigs have like an 5-8/sow survival rate…

Never mind the fact that elk can be HAMMERED in large groups in the winter… if one so chose…

Pigs hide under a bush all day.

Hunting can keep up with elk… not with pigs…

Last edited by AmoCuernos; 02/23/14 09:46 PM.
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4988671 02/23/14 09:34 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G

There's no doubt that wolves, which are IMO the real north american apex predator, are important to the natural ecology of this continent… But they were virtually extirpated from the lower 48 because they can't coexist with agriculture. Having wolves around your cattle, your sheep, your goats, your pets or your children is really unacceptable in the modern reality; we can't restore wolves to their former numbers to fix the environment. The natural order with wolves is that a pack will move into an area, stake out their territory (which can be more than 150,000 acres on poor land) and then deplete the game to the point that it won't support the pack any more. When that happens, the pack moves on or splits up leaving a little haven with more browse and graze than the remaining game can eat and their population rebounds - until wolves find it again. That works great to achieve a balance in the form of a cyclical predator/prey relationship in a giant wilderness without political or property boundaries, without fences and without sheep, goats and cows, but I think it's necessarily the case that a successful wolf population in Yellowstone is going to grow beyond the park's carrying capacity and the wolves aren't going to just stay inside the park and starve - then it will become clear why wolves were on the endangered list to begin with (guess what, hippies: it wasn't because under-evolved, knuckle-dragging, tobacco-spitting, bloodthirsty hunters just loved to kill them so much). Over time, conflicts with humans will become more common… But the irrational nature boys and girls (don't misunderstand me, I'm something of a tree-hugger and consider myself a naturalist - but I would like to think I'm sane, I don't want to make friends with coastal brown bears, I'm not at all tempted to be an ethical vegan or put on a ski mask and steal people's chickens to "set them free" and I don't think that fish should have legal standing in a court of law) don't seem to care about what the people who will have to deal with the wolves are going to go through - they just care that their disney movie has a happy ending.

The wolves are going to have to be managed at some point; they can't just be left alone forever.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4988679 02/23/14 09:38 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
So why are you so against wolves in Yellowstone? And I'm talking about the species that was supposed to be reintroduced. The wrong one got introduced, that is a mistake, and it's caused problems no doubt.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: GriffGruff78] #4988681 02/23/14 09:41 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: GriffGruff78

There's no doubt that wolves, which are IMO the real north american apex predator, are important to the natural ecology of this continent… But they were virtually extirpated from the lower 48 because they can't coexist with agriculture. Having wolves around your cattle, your sheep, your goats, your pets or your children is really unacceptable in the modern reality; we can't restore wolves to their former numbers to fix the environment. The natural order with wolves is that a pack will move into an area, stake out their territory (which can be more than 150,000 acres on poor land) and then deplete the game to the point that it won't support the pack any more. When that happens, the pack moves on or splits up leaving a little haven with more browse and graze than the remaining game can eat and their population rebounds - until wolves find it again. That works great to achieve a balance in the form of a cyclical predator/prey relationship in a giant wilderness without political or property boundaries, without fences and without sheep, goats and cows, but I think it's necessarily the case that a successful wolf population in Yellowstone is going to grow beyond the park's carrying capacity and the wolves aren't going to just stay inside the park and starve - then it will become clear why wolves were on the endangered list to begin with (guess what, hippies: it wasn't because under-evolved, knuckle-dragging, tobacco-spitting, bloodthirsty hunters just loved to kill them so much). Over time, conflicts with humans will become more common… But the irrational nature boys and girls (don't misunderstand me, I'm something of a tree-hugger and consider myself a naturalist - but I would like to think I'm sane, I don't want to make friends with coastal brown bears, I'm not at all tempted to be an ethical vegan or put on a ski mask and steal people's chickens to "set them free" and I don't think that fish should have legal standing in a court of law) don't seem to care about what the people who will have to deal with the wolves are going to go through - they just care that their disney movie has a happy ending.

The wolves are going to have to be managed at some point; they can't just be left alone forever.

I understand this. We have to manage the wolves, no doubt.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4988731 02/23/14 10:39 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G

I understand this. We have to manage the wolves, no doubt.

Sorry for the rant. I had a terrible argument with a bunny-fluffer veterinarian last weekend and I have some undirected hostility.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4988743 02/23/14 10:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Wow.... Not bad? Tell that to Minn moose population that was on a great rebound that now has less then 1 % calf recruitment.

How can you say that you can't hunt an elk population down when it's as simple as increasing tag numbers. I have no idea how the meridian elk population is now extinct. Must of been the otters or badgers.

When 99% of the west is draw tags for elk you cant ignore the hunting as an effective means of population control.

And how can any wildlife degreed individual compare elk to pigs? Surely they thought you in school the difference in breeding and the difference in calf and piglet recruitment. Elk cows are 1-1 on an great year. Pig sows are 1-10 on a really really really really record bad year.

Did you think this argument out or you just jumping in to say your in love with canadian wolves?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4988744 02/23/14 10:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
So why are you so against wolves in Yellowstone? And I'm talking about the species that was supposed to be reintroduced. The wrong one got introduced, that is a mistake, and it's caused problems no doubt.

You want wolves in yellow stone cool. Find a way to keep them in yellow stone or open up an unlimited season around yellowstone.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4988767 02/23/14 11:05 PM
10ring Offline
Tracker
Tracker
It's not bad enough that wolves have been introduced into areas that can't maintain proper carrying capacity by so-called professional game managers now in the mix are private citizens "friends of the wolves" who feel they must take it upon themselves to illegally capture and move wolves around and do their own introductions. "Yes it is happening" it just hasn't been talked about much. But the spread of wolves is going to be a bigger problem than most people think. I have long time personal friends that include both guide & outfitters and ranchers in Wyoming and Montana that can give direct firsthand reports on how detrimental wolves have been on wildlife and livestock over the last decade. They all make it a point to shoot every wolf they see and have no qualms admitting it.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4988922 02/24/14 12:51 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Wow.... Not bad? Tell that to Minn moose population that was on a great rebound that now has less then 1 % calf recruitment.

How can you say that you can't hunt an elk population down when it's as simple as increasing tag numbers. I have no idea how the meridian elk population is now extinct. Must of been the otters or badgers.

When 99% of the west is draw tags for elk you cant ignore the hunting as an effective means of population control.

And how can any wildlife degreed individual compare elk to pigs? Surely they thought you in school the difference in breeding and the difference in calf and piglet recruitment. Elk cows are 1-1 on an great year. Pig sows are 1-10 on a really really really really record bad year.

Did you think this argument out or you just jumping in to say your in love with canadian wolves?

Come on now, don't be stupid.

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: KWood_TSU] #4988936 02/24/14 01:01 AM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Come on now, don't be stupid.

Thats basically what I said a couple of posts ago… I agree with him completely… explain how the elk population is like the pig population again?

Re: How wolves can alter the course of rivers! [Re: J.G.] #4988946 02/24/14 01:06 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
It's not. It was an example. Elk err destroying the habitat. Sorry the wolves got out of hand, but that's why wildlife management is more about people management. They didn't think that seventy years ago, the wolf population would do this, and people would become crazy tree huggers. It's an accident, but wolves aren't bad. Too many are tough.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide