Forums46
Topics538,589
Posts9,738,906
Members87,095
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Big Orn] #487261 11/17/08 01:25 AM
B
BBDhillcountry Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
for mgt. reasons I think it is good to take does (like said earlier by someone) and if you don't want to mess with them then take them to a processor that gives the meat to the hungry (there are some where I hunt that offer this)...I think you have to pay about $20 but at least you will feel good about it and help your buck population so you will see more trophy bucks. just an idea if you can't use the meat...though I am like some others in this topic that LOVE..LOVE...LOVE the doe meat and fortuntley so does everyone in my family...mmmmmmmmmmm. I do understand that you might not get the same feeling when shooting a doe vs. a buck but for me I feel like it is good practice.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487262 11/17/08 01:50 AM
1000YRDSTARE Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Quote:

So, this morning was my first time to get out with the rifle this year, and right at first light I shot a doe. I felt absolutely no excitement and as I was cleaning her I was actually a little mad that I had shot. To me it was more trouble than it was worth. I mean, I am the only one that even eats it at the house. So, I think I have just completely crossed over into the trophy hunter phase. I have no desire to mess with does ever again.
Anyone else feel this way?

Nope not at all, I am actually going out in the morning after I get off at 4 am with a rifle to try to take a doe, {to ensure a quick hunt}. I am trying to help my friend put some meat in his freezer He needs it and loves it. I passed on a few does all last week and now am kicking myself because I let my friend down.

I kept saying to my self while I was watching them through my scope last Friday a.m. "why am I sitting on this log and not in my stand with my bow"??????

Now I understand about the excitement side and stand point. It was killing me not hunting with a bow, I have said it before and I will say it again, I may have put the rifle down for a long time; when I can hunt with a bow I will 100% of the time. There is excitement in that for me

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Crazyhorse] #487263 11/17/08 02:26 AM
B
BChambers Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Quote:

There is a statement I have an issue with:

Quote:

I quit taking pleasure in shooting does

I do not take pleasure in shooting anything except rats and coyotes.

Everything else, bucks/does/bulls/cows/hens/roosters/boars/sows, there is no or really should be no Pleasure in shooting, that is what a person is out there to do, kill the animal of their choice.

Being elated that vyou are getting the chance to kill an animal that is special to an individuals on wants and desires is one thing, getting pleasure in taking a life, without respecting the concept that as a human we are given that priveldge, not the neccessity of having to kill to live, to me is wrong.

I go out to kill something when I pick up the gun.

I get no pleasure out of the kill, but to accomplish my goal of collecting some meat, or if I am after horn, killing to obtain that, is just merely part of the mechanics of the hunt. JMO.

I agree totally. This is one of my big problems with all those hunting shows. To me, all the whooping and hollerin' and high fives show a lack of respect for the kill. I get gret pleasure from the hunt in all its various aspects, but the actual kill itself? No. Bringing death may be a necessity, but it is not, IMO. a cause for celebration.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: BChambers] #487264 11/17/08 02:29 AM
cbump Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Why is it a necessity???

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: BChambers] #487265 11/17/08 02:31 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I don't take issue with anyone who refuses to harvest does. Just don't take issue with other hunters who have to take an extra one because of it. For every buck that leaves the woods, a doe needs to be taken as well to maintain balance.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Texas Dan] #487266 11/17/08 02:41 AM
cbump Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Just don't take issue with other hunters who have to take an extra one because of it.

Who has taken issue with this?

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Texas Dan] #487267 11/17/08 02:41 AM
B
BChambers Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Perhaps necessity is too strong a word-perhaps "desirable". And I agree with Dan-better trophy quality in the future depends in most cases on doe harvest today.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Big Orn] #487268 11/17/08 02:51 AM
S
Smoker1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I look for does just like I do bucks!
In fact, early season I am exclusively hunting does because by then practically all of my venison from the previous season is gone.
But my family and friends all love venison.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Smoker1] #487269 11/17/08 02:57 AM
J
Johnny_J_JaMata Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Chris, my feeling is do what you enjoy, weather you harvest them, let them walk or donate them. Forget what everyone else says......it's your time in the woods, your hunt and ultimately your choice. Nothing else should matter!

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487270 11/17/08 03:16 AM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
Quote:

Quote:

Just don't take issue with other hunters who have to take an extra one because of it.

Who has taken issue with this?

I have issues.....I just don't know what they are yet....

Golly Gee Willickers Chris......

Can't you just follow proper herd management.....and shoot a pure trophy....

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #487271 11/17/08 03:36 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I am just as happy taking a doe. I have killed many does, and still get excited when I take another one. I am out of deer meat, and I am looking forward to getting me a doe soon. Yes I would like to kill a big buck as much as the next guy, but am happy with a doe also.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: helomech] #487272 11/17/08 03:51 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I am out of deer meat, and I am looking forward to getting me a doe soon.

Not much longer, looks like y'all will be here when the big boys are moving.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: HWY_MAN] #487273 11/17/08 03:52 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Quote:

Quote:

That is the only thing giving me any hope for this season. I am looking so forward to it. We got the hotel reserved.

Thanks

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Big Orn] #487274 11/17/08 04:06 AM
N
Nick Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
N
I'm like some of you. I will shoot a doe at the end of the season but only when I can't get a buck. It used to be just my dad and I eating it....now it will be just me...and some friends if they want some.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Nick] #487275 11/17/08 04:12 AM
T
texascowboy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Yeah same here I will shoot a buck if its a good size but, now days its about putting meat on the table. New idea though thinking about tring to get into bowhunting; have heard it brings back the thrill of the hunt. May start praticing{sp} before next season.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cbump] #487276 11/17/08 12:45 PM
B
BradleyGT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Chris, take that doe make it into jerky. When you go back to work and you want to be out hunting for that BIG BUCK grab a piece of that jerky and before you know it you will forget you are at work and you will be dreaming about that big monster BUCK!!!!!!

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: BradleyGT] #487277 11/17/08 01:22 PM
H
huntnfishtx Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I haven't ever shot a doe. I have really considered it though... and if I ever thought I had too much in the freezer already, there is always the Hunters for the Hungry program...

They don't put the word "eat" in "meat" for nothin you hippie
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: HWY_MAN] #487278 11/17/08 01:28 PM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
Quote:

Quote:

Save one for me....
I am still trying for the bow kill.....

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: huntnfishtx] #487279 11/17/08 01:33 PM
C
cody Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I haven't killed a buck in many years. Simply because the last buck I killed was my biggest to date and I've not seen one better. He was a very heavy 10, 6.5 years old. I kill two or three doe every year. I don't gather any excitement by shooting the does. I get my kicks out of sitting in a bush. Listening to the sounds, watching a bird, smelling everything you can't smell sitting in an office. I love hunting! I don't care if I ever kill another deer as long as I can get close to them and nature.

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Crazyhorse] #487280 11/17/08 01:55 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
although i will not shoot a buck with mediocre horns (apart from culls) i love shooting does, there good target practice. we get in the jeep, corn the roads and take only head or neck shots. we have to take a bunch of does any way, we proccess the ones we want and donate the rest. shooting a doe in a stand over a feeder looses its appeal quick but if you make a game outta it, ie. shoot them in the head/ with a muzzle loader or pistol/bow, or whatever it becomes fun. we do make sure we shoot them in the road because packin a doe for over a mile is rediculous.

if you ever need some practice cleaning a deer come on down to my place for weekend, we can put you to work after a few dozen you can do gut a deer in about 3 min

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: cody] #487281 11/17/08 01:56 PM
T
TexasHeat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Nothing wrong with that! No one needs to kill to eat now a days! I shot does all the time! Reason is, everyone in my house loves venison. Also make a huge batch of deer and duck / goose jerky to pass out for xmas up at the office. Also I feel way better feeding it to my family. I know exactly how to care for the meet and knows it's safe and clean. I process my own and have for years! I would go broke if I took every deer or duck/goose to processor!

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: jrs_39] #487282 11/17/08 02:19 PM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Quote:

I'm with you all the way. Neither my wife or daughter will touch venison. I have $300 dollars of venison sausage wasting away in my freezer. It will take the monster of all monsters to make me pull the trigger again. But I still have fun hanging out at the ranch.

Do not waste it, throw some my way. My family and friends cannot get enough venison. You hunters that do not want to mess with the does after you shoot them may find many of us that will take them off your hands and live close to you. Post an add. Hunters For the hungry always takes them.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Big Orn] #487283 11/17/08 02:28 PM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
JMO but i feel like if you shoot a buck you should shoot at least one doe...esp if you hunt the Hill Country...but I pretty much use that as my rule of thumb....but then again we eat all eat the meat.....I dont get a big rush from a doe but feel like I am doing the herd good overall

the man at the top of the mountain didn't fall up it
Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: rstewlandman] #487284 11/17/08 02:40 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Yep cbump, in that case you should definately not shoot another doe. Even though it's good for buck to doe management, there's no need in feeling that way. I for one eat all the venison I can and don't mind shooting a doe a year even if I get a buck. Please don't waste that sweet venison though!

Re: Probably killed my last doe today......ever [Re: Curly] #487285 11/17/08 02:53 PM
D
Double_Drop_Tines Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Cbump, I can understand how you feel. I actually feel sorry for you. I hope some day you can convince your family that venison is really a great tasting meat. We have most of ours ground up and use it like hamburger. Everyone in my family likes venison, all my grown kids and even my grandkids. I fixed it for them, let them eat it, and then told them what they ate. They never knew what hit'em.

Hunting is more to me than Antlers on the wall. It's more about the memories you make, and sharing those memories with friends, and family.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide