Forums46
Topics539,613
Posts9,751,817
Members87,171
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 25 of 26 1 2 23 24 25 26
Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: stxranchman] #4786336 11/27/13 11:04 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I'm just a photographer now anyway, so all this is academic. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4786339 11/27/13 11:07 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I am just a deer hunter. I hunt by the guidelines and regs set out where ever it is that I hunt. Makes the hunt that much more fun.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: stxranchman] #4786415 11/27/13 12:38 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Bowslayer you may as well give it up. You can argue all day long but you cant fix stupid. I have tried everything i know of to convince TPW that there is a problem and a easy fix that make pro ar and anti ar people happy and they wont even reply to a simple email. As for the pro ar people here n the forum they dont care because its working for them. What ticks me off is because we have a problem with ar rules and bag limits and its NOT working for us we are automatically a poacher or a bambi killer. I would ike a few big bucks roaming the woods at my place and all i have seen is the population go down every year like clockwork and seeing i have lived and hunted there for 26yrs now i pretty much consider myself a expert on whats happening on my property. Wont ever tell another man he dont know what is happening in HIS part of the woods and dont expect anyone to tell me.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: Hoytman] #4786422 11/27/13 12:42 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Hoytman
Bowslayer you may as well give it up. You can argue all day long but you cant fix stupid. I have tried everything i know of to convince TPW that there is a problem and a easy fix that make pro ar and anti ar people happy and they wont even reply to a simple email. As for the pro ar people here n the forum they dont care because its working for them. What ticks me off is because we have a problem with ar rules and bag limits and its NOT working for us we are automatically a poacher or a bambi killer. I would ike a few big bucks roaming the woods at my place and all i have seen is the population go down every year like clockwork and seeing i have lived and hunted there for 26yrs now i pretty much consider myself a expert on whats happening on my property. Wont ever tell another man he dont know what is happening in HIS part of the woods and dont expect anyone to tell me.

up

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: Seadog] #4786706 11/27/13 02:28 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Seadog....my buddy saw a decent buck come from your old lease running a doe yesterday...said it had a big ol' club drop tine and was a 12pt with beams curving around and almost touching. I'll give you 1 guess on if you think he was outside his ears.

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: rifleman] #4786720 11/27/13 02:31 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Seadog....my buddy saw a decent buck come from your old lease running a doe yesterday...said it had a big ol' club drop tine and was a 12pt with beams curving around and almost touching. I'll give you 1 guess on if you think he was outside his ears.

If it came from my old lease it will living a long life with AR's protecting it!!!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: Hoytman] #4786735 11/27/13 02:35 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

hoyt,

how big a property is it?

it may be an isolated issue, not a county wide problem, you may want to give your biologist a call and find out, after all he does the surveys.

In any case that's a bag limit issue and not a AR issue.

my inlaws live in blanco county and due to their neighbors they have a low deer population, but as a whole the county has one of the highest deer populations in the state.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: stxranchman] #4786762 11/27/13 02:40 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
TTT
You fellas keep this going till I get back on Dec 17th. from my West Texas and Western Kansas Mule Deer hunts...with no AR's grin I will leave this for ya'll also.

Wow, thanks STX! That's good stuff. Can I buy it with my Lonestar Card?

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: txtrophy85] #4786835 11/27/13 02:53 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

hoyt,

it may be an isolated issue, not a county wide problem, you may want to give your biologist a call and find out, after all he does the surveys.

my inlaws live in blanco county and due to their neighbors they have a low deer population, but as a whole the county has one of the highest deer populations in the state.

I think he said 50 acres from the last big AR thread. They will tell you that the bag limit and ARs go together because they were implemented at the same time. I asked the exact same question. I think those with smaller acreage ranches would benefit from a coop. Our neighbor formed a coop after we HFed our place. They got something like 15000 acres together and were producing a healthy herd with a mature buck herd, younger doe herd and an increase in antler size. They were killing bucks in the 40 to low 50s

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: Tye] #4786894 11/27/13 03:04 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Tye

hoyt,

I think he said 50 acres from the last big AR thread. They will tell you that the bag limit and ARs go together because they were implemented at the same time. I asked the exact same question. I think those with smaller acreage ranches would benefit from a coop. Our neighbor formed a coop after we HFed our place. They got something like 15000 acres together and were producing a healthy herd with a mature buck herd, younger doe herd and an increase in antler size. They were killing bucks in the 40 to low 50s

yep, forming a co-op would be the best thing.

hard to condemn AR's on a county wide scale based on the observations of one 50 acre tract.

I would imagine that the neighboring landowners are of similar size and they hammer the deer pretty hard. you might go 5 miles up the road and the deer herd and population be great.

this is the case with my inlaws. I drive 10 min any direction and the deer population increases 10 fold

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: txtrophy85] #4786898 11/27/13 03:05 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
What about condemning them on 1100 acres?

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: BowSlayer] #4786909 11/27/13 03:09 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer

that's a more substantial tract and is a better gauge of whats actually going on. but, small neighbors surrounding a 1100 acre tract can put a hurting on populations as well.

have you called to biologist to get his opinion? that is where I would start to make some headway. Get a co-op formed and get on MLD level 3 and the bag limits and AR's don't apply any more. its managed as an individual block of property

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: txtrophy85] #4786930 11/27/13 03:13 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

that's a more substantial tract and is a better gauge of whats actually going on. but, small neighbors surrounding a 1100 acre tract can put a hurting on populations as well.

have you called to biologist to get his opinion? that is where I would start to make some headway. Get a co-op formed and get on MLD level 3 and the bag limits and AR's don't apply any more. its managed as an individual block of property

It's already MLD 3 and we consult a Biologist almost weekly. Even being a fairly large tract of land for the area the deer population is dwindling. They don't stay on our property and the bag limits for the County are too liberal. We do deer surveys twice a year and observation reports from every hunter. It's easy to follow the paper trail back to where the problem originated.

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: BowSlayer] #4786952 11/27/13 03:19 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

It's already MLD 3 and we consult a Biologist almost weekly. Even being a fairly large tract of land for the area the deer population is dwindling. They don't stay on our property and the bag limits for the County are too liberal. We do deer surveys twice a year and observation reports from every hunter. It's easy to follow the paper trail back to where the problem originated.

well at that point you have done all you can do and I would be upset at the bag limit aspect of it as well.

I would make a call to the county biologist(if it is a different biologist) and send him data and information weekly.

one often overlooked aspect of bag limits is how many neighboring landowners hunt.

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: Seadog] #4786953 11/27/13 03:19 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Seadog

If it came from my old lease it will living a long life with AR's protecting it!!!

It comes across the wrong person who still has a buck permit left on the other side and he's making the long ride to the taxidermist.

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: BowSlayer] #4786974 11/27/13 03:24 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

Get off MLD or make plans to not meet quotas with small neighbors..y'all meet quotas, neighbors shoot deer drawn off the place and has you exceeding quotas every year. I won't put the place in managing on the program bc of being surrounded by NF & WMA and having no frigging clue what gets shot.

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: rifleman] #4787366 11/27/13 04:54 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Seadog

It comes across the wrong person who still has a buck permit left on the other side and he's making the long ride to the taxidermist.

I forgot about the darkside!!! scared

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: rifleman] #4787419 11/27/13 05:04 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

well at that point you have done all you can do and I would be upset at the bag limit aspect of it as well.

I would make a call to the county biologist(if it is a different biologist) and send him data and information weekly.

one often overlooked aspect of bag limits is how many neighboring landowners hunt.

The County Biologist is our Biologist so he's well aware of the problem.

Get off MLD or make plans to not meet quotas with small neighbors..y'all meet quotas, neighbors shoot deer drawn off the place and has you exceeding quotas every year. I won't put the place in managing on the program bc of being surrounded by NF & WMA and having no frigging clue what gets shot.

We are cut WAY down on our tags that are issued every year due to the survey and observation results. We have 7 guns and are down to 6 Doe tags and 4 Buck tags and we never use all the buck tags. Some years recently we have not even used all the Doe tags. It's pretty sad when 7 guys on 1100 acres can't find 6 Doe to shoot. Our Biologist is aware of the problem and doesn't say a word if we don't meet our quota. Not many years ago we had twice the Doe tags and could kill them all in a couple of weeks. Every year since the increased bag limits has been worse and worse. It's to the point that I refuse to shoot a Doe at all, quota or no quota.

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: Seadog] #4787420 11/27/13 05:05 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Have talked to all the neighbors and all say the same but they dont tell how many they are killing either, so ya never know but did talk to the biologist at the hopkins co. meat locker during doe days and even he said he thought too many does were being taken but also says he dont make the rules. I believe him because there were 8 or 9 trucks waiting to be unloaded and all were does not 1 buck in the bunch. Seems to me just adjust the bag limit to 1 buck and 1 doe would help a bunch and keep the 13in rule in place with no spikes taken. That way you can still have your venison steaks and maybe a nice rack too.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: BowSlayer] #4787429 11/27/13 05:06 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Oh, and I have not killed a buck on the place either since 2006.

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: BowSlayer] #4788042 11/27/13 08:01 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
TTT
You fellas keep this going till I get back on Dec 17th. from my West Texas and Western Kansas Mule Deer hunts...with no AR's grin I will leave this for ya'll also.

Wow, thanks STX! That's good stuff. Can I buy it with my Lonestar Card?

No you can only use Cabelas Club Visa up

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: stxranchman] #4789439 11/28/13 05:43 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
juggle

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: Curly] #4790587 11/28/13 07:00 PM
T
THF75119 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
No dog in the fight... just a comment... this has probably been asked or commented on a biz-illion times BUT... uhmmmm... "If" you're trying to improve quality(subjective) or "width" in your herd would'nt it be MORE advantageous to take the narrow spread bucks? And... uhmmm... I have seen 140-150 class deer that almost go straight UP w/ 14-16" tines... no "spread" to speak of... I would not pass that up P&Y... might w/ cannon... my .02 cents...

Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: THF75119] #4790596 11/28/13 07:03 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
with the seventeen thousand AR threads I've read one thing seems peculiar to me.... everyone keeps talking about how TPW has screwed the pooch and is trying to change these counties into a trophy only area... BAD texas parks and wildlife BAD!!!!!!

and without a doubt, the number one complaint I see OVER AND OVER is that "with these AR's in place we can't kill these damn cull bucks!!!!".

SO.... how is it that people are torqued up about TPW trying to change something, but the people that complain about that are worried about cull deer? nidea

Last edited by kyle1974; 11/28/13 07:08 PM.
Re: One more reason AR's are not good [Re: kyle1974] #4790700 11/28/13 08:24 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
For the same reason tpw wants to increase age structure in the buck herd but lets folks "cull" yearling spikes. I was always taught that if you did something half*** you'd spend more time on it later on than if you'd done things right the first time.

Page 25 of 26 1 2 23 24 25 26
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide