Forums46
Topics538,120
Posts9,733,202
Members87,069
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 25 of 44 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: spibiggie] #4779974 11/25/13 03:58 PM
T
TX35 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: spibiggie
Ok, I've spent the last couple of days reading through this thread. Great thread.

I'm going to add this one even though its not my story, in the sense that I didn't find it.

When I was a kid I used to hunt on a big ranch in Duval county. My dad met one of his best friends out there, and became one of mine as well. He was a guide at the time along with another guy. Well, this other guy saw something that he couldn't wait to tell. This was the late 70's, early 80's.

Story is, he was running his trap lines one morning and cut down a seldom used road on a hill that overlooked a lot of land. As he got out to reset his trap, he noticed a truck about 400 yards away. He got his binoculars, and could see that it was the ranch owners cousin and he had a deer in the back of his pickup. On closer inspection, he realized that he had the does leg up in the air, and his pants down around his knees, and he was trying to marry that thar deer. He couldn't stop laughing every time he told the story.

Still, to this day, when we see a doe run across the road, we say "There goes (omitted)'s girlfriend!"

This sounds like a yarn, I know, but knowing the players involved...I very much believe it to be true. If nothing else, it makes for a helluva campfire story.

That's just sick!!!

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: TX35] #4780059 11/25/13 04:19 PM
G
Geezer Ranger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Several years ago while hunting turkey near Alvarado, TX I found an old cemetery hidden in the woods and surrounded by a cast iron fence. It was all grown up in weeds and there was no road leading to the site. There were around 16 graves in the enclosed area. Checking the grave stones revealed that all died during the winter of 1903 within days of each other and most were women, children and old people. Most had the same last name. I would guess they came from a farming family that died from influenza or typhoid. Really makes you think how tough those times were.

texas I am allergic to stupidity. You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts someone.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Geezer Ranger] #4780093 11/25/13 04:25 PM
G
Geezer Ranger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Also, while trout fishing Beaver Creek near Fairplay, Colorado, I did a one legger down a beaver hole. As I was pulling myself out I heard a bleating noise right next to me. Searching around I found a full grown sheep down in one of the beaver holes. It took my Dad and I quite a while to get that struggling sheep out of the hole. When finally freed from the hole the sheep ran off without so much as a thank you. It did leave quite a few poop pellets as he left. Now that is gratitude for you.

texas I am allergic to stupidity. You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts someone.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Geezer Ranger] #4780535 11/25/13 06:04 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Geezer Ranger
Several years ago while hunting turkey near Alvarado, TX I found an old cemetery hidden in the woods and surrounded by a cast iron fence. It was all grown up in weeds and there was no road leading to the site. There were around 16 graves in the enclosed area. Checking the grave stones revealed that all died during the winter of 1903 within days of each other and most were women, children and old people. Most had the same last name. I would guess they came from a farming family that died from influenza or typhoid. Really makes you think how tough those times were.
Reminds me of a cemetery I found in Denton county. A family was buried there that had 5 Sons, all had died on the days they were born. Hard times for sure. I can only imagine how heartbreaking it was for Mother and Father. Tombstones were from the late 1800s.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Erathkid] #4781006 11/25/13 07:48 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Duece12 and I were fishing last spring out at the lake. We had been there several hours and catching quite a few good fish. We were fishing ont he bank...actually in about ankle deep water. We had been fishing in our respective spots for the entire morning. We were 40-50ft away from each other. For some reason, I looked down and noticed a flash int he water between my feet. I bent down and picked it up. It was a ring. It looked really familiar. I asked Duece if he had lost his wedding ring and he said no as he looked at his hand. Thats when he realized his was gone and I was holding it in my hand.

He never stood where I was and he was casting out twd the lake, not twd me. Weird thing but he was very happy that I found his ring.

Now, if we could have found that fish that jerked my rod in the water...

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: TX35] #4783403 11/26/13 02:41 PM
D
DENTPUSHA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: TX35
Originally Posted By: spibiggie
Ok, I've spent the last couple of days reading through this thread. Great thread.

I'm going to add this one even though its not my story, in the sense that I didn't find it.

When I was a kid I used to hunt on a big ranch in Duval county. My dad met one of his best friends out there, and became one of mine as well. He was a guide at the time along with another guy. Well, this other guy saw something that he couldn't wait to tell. This was the late 70's, early 80's.

Story is, he was running his trap lines one morning and cut down a seldom used road on a hill that overlooked a lot of land. As he got out to reset his trap, he noticed a truck about 400 yards away. He got his binoculars, and could see that it was the ranch owners cousin and he had a deer in the back of his pickup. On closer inspection, he realized that he had the does leg up in the air, and his pants down around his knees, and he was trying to marry that thar deer. He couldn't stop laughing every time he told the story.

Still, to this day, when we see a doe run across the road, we say "There goes (omitted)'s girlfriend!"

This sounds like a yarn, I know, but knowing the players involved...I very much believe it to be true. If nothing else, it makes for a helluva campfire story.

That's just sick!!!

What's the big deal? Is there a diff way to clean a deer?

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5156267 06/14/14 04:17 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Bump. Anyone find anything cool this past season.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5156308 06/14/14 05:49 AM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
My sanity!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5156743 06/14/14 06:41 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
In 2005 on a BP hunt in the Gore range in Colorado, my BNL found an old H&R 32 top-break nickel plated pistol. It didn't function. The last patent date was around 1904 or 5. He called the sheriff's dept. and turned it in. Later that year he got the gun back. Seems the sheriff couldn't find any crime to attach it to except for one old timer that said in the 'teens, some guy got chased by a posse for killing some guy with a 32 cal pistol. Case closed.

Near Victoria myself and friend were walking on his lease road and found a tennis shoe with a bloody foot in it. Called the sheriff's. Two weeks later the found the body dumped on the side of a road about 15 miles away. Seems a plane landed on the lease to dump drugs and somehow someone got their foot chopped off in the prop. His 'buddy's' took the rest of the body away and dumped it when he passed.

We had a lease near Georgetown and found the remains of a Winchester 9422 Mag. The stock had been cut off right behind the lever and the barrel was cut off about 8" in front of the chamber. Called the sheriff there and he let us keep it since it was rusted shut and no way to find a serial #

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5167770 06/22/14 04:19 PM
L
LarryT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Few years ago in Cherokee county I found an old hatchet head on the bank of a spring fed creek.
Just wanted to bump the post

LarryT

Simper Fi.

Once & Always
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5168330 06/22/14 11:48 PM
H
Hollerpoint Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Just found some nice arrowheads is all

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5173900 06/26/14 03:17 AM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
a naked woman..really when i was 15..was coon hunting in wise county..me and my uncle were walking down an old gravel road..passed by an old farm house..there was a big plate glass window in the front..the light was on inside..and as we approached..a woman was exercising in the front room..totally nude..we stared at her..but kept waslking..as we got to our truck..i had a 30-30 deer rifle with an old3x9 scope..as we drove back by..needless to say i had it it on full power

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5176097 06/27/14 11:38 AM
T
target1911 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
URL=http://s195.photobucket.com/user/target1911/media/20130917_192444_zpsec6ffb3d.jpg.html][/URL]
found a this goofy cat at the lease last year.

This how I found my foot after my tower stand blew over. Not a fun trip.

"A good life is never too short"
My Dad
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5322959 09/24/14 12:55 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Anyone found anything cool while dove hunting or out scouting this year?

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: SapperTitan] #5323236 09/24/14 02:58 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Anyone found anything cool while dove hunting or out scouting this year?

Not this year, only other peoples trash that I pick up.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5324101 09/24/14 05:31 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
While fishing Lake Fork several years ago I found a dead guy who it turned out had been missing a month of more. Several mini balls at Ft Sill when I was in Arty school years ago.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5324507 09/24/14 09:21 PM
D
DeadRooster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Someone in the future, 50 years from now, will start a thread like this and tell his hunting buddies about the "old iPhone" he found out on this property near Goldthwaite. But it was new to me when I lost it... bang

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: 7ARanch] #5324705 09/24/14 11:01 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
While fishing Lake Fork several years ago I found a dead guy who it turned out had beenmissing a month of more....

ok we need more information on the dead guy

The only easy day was yesterday

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5324953 09/25/14 12:55 AM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Actually not that much to tell. I was pre-fishing for a tournament in Feb of '95 or 96 and had one of my Marines and his father in law with me. We were working an old fence row flipping jigs as I recall and I noticed a brown Carhart suit floating in front of us. My only thought at the time was "cool" I've been wanting one of those. As we came up on it I could see his head and hair floating around it in the water. This was pre-cell phone days for me. There were some people fishing at a boat ramp not too far off so I went over and asked if they had a phone or could go across the road to call the game warden. They then told me someone had just stopped by a little while ago asking if anyone had seen a body floating in the water. It was probably someone from his family. I waited for the GW, he told me the guy's name was Raymond and he had been missing for a month or more. He had been out by himself in a small aluminum boat, probably hit a submerged stump. No life jacket but if he went in in Jan probably wouldn't have mattered since hypothermia would have gotten him anyway. Sad for the family but at least they got his remains back. I've told some really bad jokes about it over the years...

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: banderapass1] #5325041 09/25/14 01:34 AM
T
Texsun Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: banderapass1
Black powder cap and ball colt revolver .36 caliber pistol.
The pistol was rusted solid..the grips were like powder rotted wood.it was loaded and the hammer was pulled back.

I found it when I was a boy in the 1960's in Juno,Tx.

I was sitting on a rock ledge over looking a canyon deer hunting..I happened to look down into the large rock I was sitting on that had a large long wide crack along it.I saw a rusted thing towards the bottom of the crack in the rock at the ground line.I climbed down the rock to the ground.I was able to dig under the rock crack at the soil line and pull it out that way..I still have that old thing..still rusted solid..you can see the lead balls in the cylinder.

Pic?

Sig Sauer P229 Elite, P226 Elite, SP2022
S&W Model 3
Win. Model 70's: 220 Swift, 270, 30.06, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H
Savage Model 99 250-3000
Colt 6920
Ruger 10-22
Swedish and Chilean Mausers
Browning Citori White Lightning
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: 7ARanch] #5325596 09/25/14 01:24 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
Actually not that much to tell. I was pre-fishing for a tournament in Feb of '95 or 96 and had one of my Marines and his father in law with me. We were working an old fence row flipping jigs as I recall and I noticed a brown Carhart suit floating in front of us. My only thought at the time was "cool" I've been wanting one of those. As we came up on it I could see his head and hair floating around it in the water. This was pre-cell phone days for me. There were some people fishing at a boat ramp not too far off so I went over and asked if they had a phone or could go across the road to call the game warden. They then told me someone had just stopped by a little while ago asking if anyone had seen a body floating in the water. It was probably someone from his family. I waited for the GW, he told me the guy's name was Raymond and he had been missing for a month or more. He had been out by himself in a small aluminum boat, probably hit a submerged stump. No life jacket but if he went in in Jan probably wouldn't have mattered since hypothermia would have gotten him anyway. Sad for the family but at least they got his remains back. I've told some really bad jokes about it over the years...

still an interesting story. I was thinking maybe you had hooked into a body with your rig and found him that way.
eek2

The only easy day was yesterday

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5325793 09/25/14 03:14 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Opening day 2006, Fort Campbell. I had just recently returned from Iraq and I had gotten to my stand pretty early. I had some time to let things get quiet while it was still dark, so I closed my eyes and bowed my head and prayed. You see, I had a friend who was still in Iraq that was due to come home soon, but he wasn't planning on actually going home to his family. He intended to leave them.

So there in the cool still of the morning I prayed for him and his family that they would be reunited.

About 30 seconds after saying "Amen", I hear this owl about 50 yards behind me light up screeching like crazy, and he was LOUD. Immediately after, an owl about 50 yards to my front returned with a very loud screech of his own. They begin this back and forth argument that lasted a couple of minutes, and then I hear and feel a THUD. The owl from behind me lands in my tree not three feet above my head and continues to screech like crazy. By this time my ears are ringing.

I hear something fall but do not think anything of it as it is still pretty dark.

All of a sudden the screeching stops and this owl takes flight from my tree and I can see his silhouette as he's flying away to my left. Then it hits me. The wind from the owl's wings hits me right in the face and almost takes my hat off. I sit there until sun-up reflecting on what just happened.

As it gets lighter, I see something white on my 870 shotgun that was lying across the rails on my climber. The owl had crapped on my shotgun! I cleaned it up with some baby wipes that I always take to the woods with me and hunted the rest of the morning and didn't kill anything.

My buddy comes home and despite my pleading with him and continued prayer, he divorces his wife.

As I looked back on this later, and while I still don't have all of it figured out, I came to realize that God has a sense of humor sometimes when he answers (or doesn't answer) prayers. But I found something else in the woods that morning. I left the woods knowing what the breath of God feels like. I'll never forget it as long as I live, and in that exact moment, it was actually one of the most peaceful feelings I've ever had. angel

[Linked Image]
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: kry226] #5327850 09/26/14 05:25 PM
S
StraitShot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Cool story... well told... thanks for sharing it... paw

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: StraitShot] #5327984 09/26/14 07:01 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted By: StraitShot
Cool story... well told... thanks for sharing it... paw

Thanks, brother! smile

[Linked Image]
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #5328933 09/27/14 02:15 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I might have already mentioned this, but don't want to read every page. Back in the 1960's I was slowly stalking down a shallow muddy creek , on family land, when right in front of me was an old hunting arrow, stuck deeply in a tree. Had a wooden shaft and had obviously been there for a long time. Shaft was bent downward, due I guess to it's weight. I still have it. I took it around to everyone I could think of, but nobody had an arrow like that, and nobody had bow hunted that area since bow hunting was a rather new sport back then.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Page 25 of 44 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide