Forums46
Topics538,301
Posts9,735,500
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign #4596325 09/24/13 11:37 AM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
Saw this here:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/09...epeal-safe-act/

Pics here:

http://m.imgur.com/a/fNOBV

Original forum post happening in real time here (TONS of pages... All very entertaining, but the revelation made on 11th post of this page):

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-po...html#post607020

I'm very interested to see how this all turns out. If you've got the time to waste, the thread is entertaining to say the least.

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: cdoan02] #4596331 09/24/13 11:43 AM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
Wow, things move fast. Got posted on theblaze last night:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/...-blew-him-away/

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: cdoan02] #4596366 09/24/13 12:06 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Looks like that cop is in trouble!

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: Jasb] #4596396 09/24/13 12:27 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
Possibly. But I am more interested in finding out if this was simply an officer following orders. That seems more likely than a rogue cop acting independently. It would be nice if the sign owner could file a complaint with the state police and have actual charges brought against the officer. I bet he'd be quick to admit if it was simply an order he was following.

Either way, it's some BS. Glad he got caught.

Last edited by cdoan02; 09/24/13 12:28 PM.
Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: cdoan02] #4596428 09/24/13 12:43 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: cdoan02
Possibly. But I am more interested in finding out if this was simply an officer following orders. That seems more likely than a rogue cop acting independently. It would be nice if the sign owner could file a complaint with the state police and have actual charges brought against the officer. I bet he'd be quick to admit if it was simply an order he was following.

He dang sure can! File on the officer with the county or FBI. Everyone has a boss and for a dumbarse thing like this he needs to be fired and take his lumps. Pisses me off when stupid arse cops do stupid stuff that make honest guys and gals look like crap. Yup he needs to be fired, filed on and put in ever frickin paper in the land so his DA never gets another LE job. Just my take.

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: Jasb] #4598056 09/24/13 09:55 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jasb

He dang sure can! File on the officer with the county or FBI. Everyone has a boss and for a dumbarse thing like this he needs to be fired and take his lumps. Pisses me off when stupid arse cops do stupid stuff that make honest guys and gals look like crap. Yup he needs to be fired, filed on and put in ever frickin paper in the land so his DA never gets another LE job. Just my take.

Bust him.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: dogcatcher] #4598355 09/24/13 11:41 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
The guy who had his sign stolen has now been interviewed by the local news there, by Fox news on the phone, and has a multitude of interview requests. He has an attorney, and they are apparently filing a civil rights suit in federal court.

Lots of people fired up about this.

Last edited by cdoan02; 09/24/13 11:42 PM.
Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: cdoan02] #4598414 09/24/13 11:53 PM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
They may have an ordinance against signs and such, but either way the officer handled this poorly! I'd say fire him, but he looks ready for retirement anyway and as we have learned with Lois Learner, their actions doesn't cause them to lose their retirement benefits.

Last edited by Concho; 09/24/13 11:54 PM.

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: cdoan02] #4598465 09/25/13 12:06 AM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: cdoan02] #4599209 09/25/13 03:08 AM
C
cory_cooper Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
whats the big deal, the majority of the folks did not like the way he was expressing his 1st amendment right so the township sent their enforcement to handle the issue. yall are a bunch of cop haters...

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: cory_cooper] #4599460 09/25/13 06:16 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Just from looking at their city code I doubt the sign was legal. Our code enforcemt folks confiscate tens of thousands of them a year.

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: ntxtrapper] #4599546 09/25/13 11:13 AM
B
bigpigtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Sure looks like the sign was in the right of way to me. It's illegal to put one there here in Texas. Read the fine print on all those election signs. I know a garage sale sign won't last an hour in my neighborhood.

I think I saw something about a FBI sign unit on CSI though....call em.

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: bigpigtx] #4599565 09/25/13 11:38 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Pretty standard garbage for this section of the THF. City code violation and a confiscated sign. Some rag of a media source makes it out to be somthing it's not. The tin foil hat crowd runs around screaming the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: ntxtrapper] #4599587 09/25/13 12:05 PM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I knew that was you ntxtrapper, how was your trip to NY?

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Two kinds of people vote democrat. Rich people that don't have to work, and poor people who don't want to work.
Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: Beretta] #4599826 09/25/13 01:36 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BerettaOnyx686

Nope I would be posting the 2nd amendment sign. The difference is, I am smart enough to know what size of sign is legal, where I can have it and not be trashy enough to put in my yard.

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: ntxtrapper] #4601294 09/25/13 09:15 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
Pretty standard garbage for this section of the THF. City code violation and a confiscated sign. Some rag of a media source makes it out to be somthing it's not. The tin foil hat crowd runs around screaming the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Pretty standard garbage from ntxtrapper. You have no facts about the specifics of this case, as they haven't been presented. But that doesn't stop you from instinctively jumping to the defense of a fellow officer.

And I already know you're ok with officers abusing the law and their position. You've made that astoundingly clear multiple times.

Regardless, I have a problem with the method used by this officer to remove the sign. Would it not be reasonable to simply talk to the homeowner?

I also have a problem with only specific signs being targeted. If a sign was targeted based upon the political message of the sign... I believe that's a violation of the sign owner's first amendment right, no? But I'm no lawyer. You're just a cop, so you don't make the law, you just enforce it. Except when you don't know it. Or when the law doesn't jive with your personal opinion. Or when you're having a bad day.

You appear to have the "I'm the LAW!" attitude. You don't appear to consider yourself a public servant; rather, you appear to believe you run the public. You appear to believe that you have a right to give fellow citizens orders. You, quite simply, give a bad name to the officers that actually have a desire to work with the community.

Personally, I have a duty to be a servant to everyone. Not because it's my career, but because it's my life choice. It must be a very conflicting existence to depend on fellow citizens to provide for your living expenses in exchange for your service to the public, while at the same time feeling superior to the public.

And the sky is falling. Ever hear of the SAFE act? The guy with the sign most definitely has.

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: cdoan02] #4601506 09/25/13 10:25 PM
B
bigpigtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B

Pretty standard garbage from ntxtrapper. You have no facts about the specifics of this case, as they haven't been presented. But that doesn't stop you from instinctively jumping to the defense of a fellow officer.

And I already know you're ok with officers abusing the law and their position. You've made that astoundingly clear multiple times.

Regardless, I have a problem with the method used by this officer to remove the sign. Would it not be reasonable to simply talk to the homeowner?

I also have a problem with only specific signs being targeted. If a sign was targeted based upon the political message of the sign... I believe that's a violation of the sign owner's first amendment right, no? But I'm no lawyer. You're just a cop, so you don't make the law, you just enforce it. Except when you don't know it. Or when the law doesn't jive with your personal opinion. Or when you're having a bad day.

You appear to have the "I'm the LAW!" attitude. You don't appear to consider yourself a public servant; rather, you appear to believe you run the public. You appear to believe that you have a right to give fellow citizens orders. You, quite simply, give a bad name to the officers that actually have a desire to work with the community.

Personally, I have a duty to be a servant to everyone. Not because it's my career, but because it's my life choice. It must be a very conflicting existence to depend on fellow citizens to provide for your living expenses in exchange for your service to the public, while at the same time feeling superior to the public.

And the sky is falling. Ever hear of the SAFE act? The guy with the sign most definitely has.

Did we read the same story? You seem to have got more out of it than I did.

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: bigpigtx] #4601749 09/25/13 11:58 PM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: bigpigtx

Did we read the same story? You seem to have got more out of it than I did.

He always does......some kind of alien read between the lines thing......

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: Concho] #4602119 09/26/13 01:19 AM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
I read the posts from before the story broke. I read about the man putting up a pro 2a sign, and having a neighbor be upset by it. Said neighbor called the city, and the man was contacted by the building inspector, who initially told him the sign was against code. The man spoke with the BI, who ended up telling the man that the sign was fine. No problem.

The man then had his sign go missing. He put up another, and it went missing as well. Believing it was his neighbor stealing his sign that was approved by the BI, he purchased and set up a game camera. He set it up improperly, and was unable to catch whoever took the sign the 3rd time. The 4th time, he got pics of an officer kicking the sign to break the post, then taking the sign.

Ntxtrapper then jumps on here, assumes the man to be some dumbass, and says he would have checked to make sure the sign was within code. If he would have read the posts rather than just spouting off, he would have known that the man discussed the sign with the BI, and got approval.

If ntxtrapper had said that the man was an idiot because the BI's approval meant nothing, I would have questioned why the city had the BI contact the man about the sign in the first place.

Anyhow, ntxtrapper automatically assumes whenever there is an issue between the police and a citizen, that the citizen is a dumbass, and the cop was right. Because it is very apparent that ntxtrapper believes the general population are dumbasses, he is superior, and the police are superior.

If you do not come to the same conclusion after reading ntxtrapper's posts on such matters, then we simply disagree.

Now, what exactly did I post that wasn't derived from information I've linked to? Other than ntxtrapper's past posts, as my opinion of him has nothing to do with this story.

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: ntxtrapper] #4602233 09/26/13 01:45 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: BerettaOnyx686

Nope I would be posting the 2nd amendment sign. The difference is, I am smart enough to know what size of sign is legal, where I can have it and not be trashy enough to put in my yard.

Wow!!!! I'm trashy if I put a sign in my yard supporting the 2nd amendment. You my friend have issues! Glad your not enforcing the law in my city

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: ntxtrapper] #4603720 09/26/13 03:23 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C

A few more "rag(s) of a media source" have picked it up as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/25/hidden-camera-catches-culprit-taking-man-second-amendment-sign/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...elebre/2873727/

http://hudsonvalleyreporter.com/westches...ent-cries-foul/

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: cdoan02] #4609371 09/28/13 03:51 AM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: cdoan02] #4610693 09/28/13 07:59 PM
J
JesterGrin_1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
The Police and how they do there job has changed a GREAT Deal in the last 50 years. They used to be people you could trust to do the right thing. But now you can not Trust them at All.

Now I am sure they are good officers still out there. But which ones. It is just not worth the risk.

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: JesterGrin_1] #4610817 09/28/13 09:03 PM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
I clearly saw the sign attack the officer first......LOL.

Re: Somers (NY) PD officer caught on game camera stealing pro 2A sign [Re: Concho] #4613185 09/29/13 09:32 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Concho
I clearly saw the sign attack the officer first......LOL.

roflmao

Funny chit Concho!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide