Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: don k] #4579618 09/18/13 08:28 PM
I
Indymac Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
The problem with hunting in TX (not public land) as I see it is that private landowners are allowed to feed/bait and fence wild game on their property, so the game stays on their property instead of moving off to neighboring properties for food, water and possibly better cover. And God forbid that an adjacent property be public property where a unsuspecting non-leasee average Joe might have an opportunity to take a deer.

This is the only state that I've lived where these practices are allowed, and there are high hunting lease prices. In other states the wild animals are considered public property and protected by many laws including fair chase with no tall fences. The only animals the landowners have ownership and can proffit from are their domestic animals.

If you want to have hunting opportunities that are affordable for you and your family again, take away these unethical and unfair advantages that the landowners have right now, and you'll see lease prices fall through the roof.

Real hunting in other states seems to work well and has for many years. Maybe it could in TX again too.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Indymac] #4579652 09/18/13 08:39 PM
B
bigpigtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: Indymac
Real hunting in other states seems to work well and has for many years. Maybe it could in TX again too.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Indymac] #4579656 09/18/13 08:41 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

nah, we good, preciate ya though.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Indymac] #4579730 09/18/13 09:07 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The problem with hunting in TX (not public land) as I see it is that private landowners are allowed to feed/bait and fence wild game on their property, so the game stays on their property instead of moving off to neighboring properties for food, water and possibly better cover. And God forbid that an adjacent property be public property where a unsuspecting non-leasee average Joe might have an opportunity to take a deer.

This is the only state that I've lived where these practices are allowed, and there are high hunting lease prices. In other states the wild animals are considered public property and protected by many laws including fair chase with no tall fences. The only animals the landowners have ownership and can proffit from are their domestic animals.

If you want to have hunting opportunities that are affordable for you and your family again, take away these unethical and unfair advantages that the landowners have right now, and you'll see lease prices fall through the roof.

it works so good in other states that hunters flock to texas by the thousands each year to take advantage of all the bountiful game we have here.

If you don't want to hunt here, you don't have to

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txtrophy85] #4579860 09/18/13 09:47 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Years ago I used to lease. Sometimes the people would start telling me how I should run the ranch. The next year the lease price went up. If they did not like it and left good. I got new people. If the new people were good and did not gripe the price remained the same. If they griped the lease price went up. Get the picture? Maybe some that complain about the lease price need to look close to home. I finally got tired of people telling me what I needed to do and started charging by the deer. For me life is a lot easier. Now if a person comes to hunt and they don't like what they see I give them the deposit back and never see them again.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: don k] #4579885 09/18/13 09:56 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Some people equate a lease to a purchase. They thank they have ownership of the ranch during the lease term. That and the liability factor is the reason why I don't lease and never will.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Indymac] #4579926 09/18/13 10:11 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P

The very concept of public ownership of game animals located on private property is laughable. Seems as if you also have a disdain for private ownership of real estate in general.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: maximus_flavius] #4580208 09/19/13 12:01 AM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
OP, maybe you should buy some land, then under charge for deer hunting. You can pay all the taxes, & put up with all the headaches involved, & not get as much money as you could.

You'll really show all those landowners who get as much as they can.
its the original op's opinion yall...just like its yalls opinion..lots of variables..retirement..less yearly income dollars for consumer products..lots of reasons people cant afford todays prices..thats what I don't like about this forum..only one..lol..is that somebody gives his opinion..and then he is lambasted to oblivion..i cant afford a lease for petes sake..due to things out of my control..i will certainly bet that some of you also complain of the price of meat..gas..etc..but it never makes it on thf..If I hadn't been lucky..or blessed as I call it to get on a lease that could have charged double what they asked me..it is the op's opinion..and I kinda agree..just my opinion.ive had several bad experiences with dishonest lease bosses and a few dishonest landowners..

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: mow] #4582334 09/19/13 04:50 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
The main problem with hunting in Texas is that it's so awesome.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: cameron00] #4582343 09/19/13 04:52 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Actually, now that I think about it, that's not really so much of a problem as a benefit.

Still, Texas rules.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Play Maker] #4582475 09/19/13 05:39 PM
I
Indymac Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Originally Posted By: Play Maker

The very concept of public ownership of game animals located on private property is laughable. Seems as if you also have a disdain for private ownership of real estate in general.

What makes it laughable? No other state laughs at it.
I've actually owned several pieces of property during my Navy career. I enjoyed them all and was usually disappointed to leave most of them after only 2-3 years. No disdain for realestate here. How about you?

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txtrophy85] #4582500 09/19/13 05:44 PM
I
Indymac Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

it works so good in other states that hunters flock to texas by the thousands each year to take advantage of all the bountiful game we have here.

I'll have to admit, there are lots of lazy deer hunters out there. I'm not a deer hunter, but would have to agree with you. I'm just trying to offer some advice to deer hunters on how they might bring down private land lease prices.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: jshouse] #4582519 09/19/13 05:49 PM
I
Indymac Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Originally Posted By: jshouse

Judging by your comment, I think you would struggle elsewhere. Stay here beside the feeder and you'll be fine.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Indymac] #4582569 09/19/13 06:03 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: jshouse

Judging by your comment, I think you would struggle elsewhere. Stay here beside the feeder and you'll be fine.

its always nice being judged, especially on the internet. i appreciate your concern and will not venture too far away from my feeder, thanks buddy.

Last edited by jshouse; 09/19/13 06:03 PM.

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Indymac] #4582576 09/19/13 06:04 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

I'll have to admit, there are lots of lazy deer hunters out there. I'm not a deer hunter, but would have to agree with you. I'm just trying to offer some advice to deer hunters on how they might bring down private land lease prices.

what do you hunt and where? do you give lessons?

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Indymac] #4582608 09/19/13 06:14 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Some folks just can't seem to understand that if lease prices had risen at the same inflation rate everything else has over the years they'd start at 2-3 times the price they are today and go up from there.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Indymac] #4582646 09/19/13 06:23 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

What makes it laughable? No other state laughs at it.
I've actually owned several pieces of property during my Navy career. I enjoyed them all and was usually disappointed to leave most of them after only 2-3 years. No disdain for realestate here. How about you?

The piece you're missing is that most other states have a much, much larger percentage of the land publicly owned.

It doesn't matter if the "public owns the animals" in Texas, because 95% of the land is privately owned and that same public has no right to access them anyway. The State owning the deer doesn't give the public any vehicle to hunt those same deer, because you still don't get to trespass, regardless of whether or not a fence is high enough to keep animals from jumping over it.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: cameron00] #4582658 09/19/13 06:27 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I was overstating it.

98.2% of land in Texas is privately held.

No deer for you!

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Indymac] #4583693 09/19/13 11:47 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
And your from where exactly? Explain how a fence will keep a game animal on your property?
The reason lease prices are high are:
I don't own land and have to lease
Land Owner owns land, sets his price
Game animals belong to the State I belive
Texas has more private land than public, the opposite of other states. Hate to say it, but if your unhappy.........

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: hoof n wings] #4585188 09/20/13 01:17 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Also love the comment about, "stay here by your feeder and you'll be okay..."

Because the act of hunting a feeder completely precludes an individual from having the ability to spot and stalk, right?

Crazy that so many people I know are so successful hunting other areas. Common logic would have suggested the feeders should have ruined them by now.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: cameron00] #4585215 09/20/13 01:26 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Also love the comment about, "stay here by your feeder and you'll be okay..."

Because the act of hunting a feeder completely precludes an individual from having the ability to spot and stalk, right?

Crazy that so many people I know are so successful hunting other areas. Common logic would have suggested the feeders should have ruined them by now.

I totally agree with this and thats why most of our feeders are not even by a stand and dont hunt them unless we are just try to thin out some doe .

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Kenneth1977] #4585982 09/20/13 04:21 PM
R
Ramses Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
So many people want to make a $ off of a deer hunter now a days! That's the difference between now and 10-15 years ago. These guys that become the middle men and lease other people's land raise the price several thousands $. They make money without doing anything! They are kinda like used car salesmen! These "guides" or property leasers help keep the price driven up. Its funny how I see all these comericals on TV talking about taking a kid huunting to preserve it. But a majority of people that hunt can't. Hunting has became a money game, and of course, you have people that get on here and say, "if you can't afford it, don't do it. Go free market". These are the people that are getting their pockets lined. I can promise you they are making money off deer hunters! Bottom line is, the family of today can not afford a family lease.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Ramses] #4586009 09/20/13 04:28 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
a guy i work with filled a spot in his lease in east texas the other day, $500, 1200-1500 acres, 10 hunters, year round access, stand and feeders in place, corn included, cabin with water, electricity, and directv. is this common, no, but they are out there.

if you know how to look you can still find deals, are you going to shoot 140" deer every year? maybe not, but there are good/cheap places out there if you look smart and just want somewhere to go with your kids.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: bigpigtx] #4586035 09/20/13 04:34 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: bigpigtx

rofl

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Armalite260] #4586045 09/20/13 04:36 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: BowTech82ndAB
Ten years ago gas was $1.35/gallon

Ten years ago a nicely equipped 4x4 half ton cost $25k

Ten years ago a pair of work boots cost $100