Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: airout33] #423944 09/09/08 03:43 AM
O
onimo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
i had a buddy tell me a story last week dove hunting, he said he was at his lease just walking around and came up on one and shot it with his 30-06 in the back he said it got up and charged him from about 100-150yrds so he ran like a scared girl toward camp while fireing his .45 over his shoulder just then his dad pulled up in the rhyno and said he heard it roar/scream and when they looked around it was gone! only reson i kinda think it might be true is cause he is deaf in his left ear from firing over his shoulder so close to his ear!!!

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: onimo] #423945 09/09/08 04:47 AM
B
bassinger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
i saw one in Alvord on LBJ grasslands either 3 or 4 seasons ago....
Never even thought about it before so I wasnt even sure if you could shoot them or not. I dont think I could have anyways with a slug at 200 yds...
If I would have known you could shoot them I would have emptied my gun.

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: bassinger] #423946 09/09/08 07:04 AM
H
Heeler Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Well, in the probability that I will take more ridicule from the experts on here, I live on the upper end of Lake Whitney, on a mountaintop called Mesa Grande, a couple years ago, at 6:00am, my wife was driving up our driveway to go to work when she saw a large cat that was about the size of a young calf with a tail at least 3 feet long, it was as black as 'ole Coley's arse! She called me on her cell phone to tell me about it. I jumped in my truck & went to the place where she saw it & sure enough, there were cat tracks in the road that were as big as my hands! Since then, we have heard it scream several times & a neighbor's son saw it at a stock tank getting a drink of water a couple days later about sun-up!He desribed it to a "T" as my wife did! They are extremely secretive & sly, since they are also mainly nocturnal creatures, sure, that is why they are not seen too often by all of the know it all experts that get such a thrill from making fun of others that have seen them, in spite of the books & TPWD! They cannot be everywhere there is a big panther seen & heard! I've lived in this neck of the woods for the better part of 40 years & my grandfather was a farmer here & he told me about the cats in his lifetime as well!I have a neighbor that was the VOC-AG teacher here for 40 years, he has seen it several times! So all of the non-beleivers & jerks that wanna make fun of the folks that have seen them & know what they saw, then go ahead & have your fun at our expense if it will make you feel superior! I'm done now, the soap box is open!!

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: BenBob] #423947 09/09/08 11:17 AM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Quote:

I deer hunt at least 21 days every fall, dove hunt a bit, quail hunt, photograph deer and I am always on the road driving somewhere, but have yet to see a live mountain lion when I could tell for sure that is what it was. I have seen a couple of things that I suspect were mountain lions, but never a confirmed sighting. I was wondering how many of you have seen a live mountain lion in the wild? What county it was in?

I saw one about 20 years ago in Comal county. It trotted across a 50'-60' wide sendero and never stopped. By the time I got my rifle up it was gone. I held the rifle on my lap the rest of the evening hoping he'd show back up. I'm pretty sure it was a male just by the size of it. I'd say he easily was 125+ lbs! It's a sight that you will never forget once you see it, that's for sure. My brother actually shot at a young one a couple years later on the same ranch but he's not near as good a shot as his younger sibling!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #423948 09/09/08 12:13 PM
C
cibolo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
in mexico we had a real problem with one and my first experience with him was when he killed a ram right next to the camphouse and all we heard was the scream. we saw him a couple of time's just cross in front of us while we were driving the pasture,and he easly stretched out the road. trapper couldn't even get him. he caught him with a big ol' steel bear trap and the damn cat up rooted the spike that held it and shredded the cactus flat with the spike and got loose. the trapper loaded up shortly after this with his family and just kept saying gato diablo! i would love to get one and anybody who has with any kind of method more power to them.

on another ranch i was out filming on a friend's lease in mexico,so i had no rifle ,just a knife. i got out of the tri pod to go do some exploring right before dark. walked up the road to a cross fence and was gonna go right but i stopped to relieve myself. while doing so i looked to my left and saw a doe just standing there staring at me. finished up and turned to proceed the other direction when i see what at first i thought was a young deer ,since i could only see the very top of it's back in the high grass. then it stepped out into the road and there was no mistaking what it was. if i hadn't stopped to relieve myself i would of been right in front of him with nothing but a knife and a video camera to through at it,if he had been hungry.

"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #423949 09/09/08 12:23 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
My wife and I saw one between Azle and Weatherford walking a fence line on the McDavid Ranch a few years ago. Then I had one visit my backyard during the drought a couple years ago. Here are the tracks it left:

I could see where Bugs Bunny bit the dust.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: HornSlayer] #423950 09/09/08 12:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Quote:

My wife and I saw one between Azle and Weatherford walking a fence line on the McDavid Ranch a few years ago. Then I had one visit my backyard during the drought a couple years ago. Here are the tracks it left:

I could see where Bugs Bunny bit the dust.

There was a big one shot a couple years ago between Peaster and Weatherford

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: onimo] #423951 09/09/08 12:31 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Some how your friends story sounds a little far fetched in more ways than one.

Ah Yes, the "Black Mountain Lion" resurfaces to plague the planet.

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: Crazyhorse] #423952 09/09/08 12:34 PM
72chevy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
One of my wifes uncles had one attack one his horses a couple of months ago near azle

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: BenBob] #423953 09/09/08 12:39 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have seen plenty of tracks when hunting elk in Colorado, but never a live one in the wild.

The outfitter I hunt with in Colorado told me that hje knows people that have hunted and fished all over the places where I was seeing the tracks that have never seen a live one, they are there, just real secretive.

I firmly believe there are a lot more lions in Texas than anyone including TP&W wants to think about.

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: Crazyhorse] #423954 09/09/08 12:44 PM
B
BenBob Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have seen one caught in a snare or should I say 2 snares. The first snare caught him in the flank and tightened up right in front of his rear legs. He was able to break the wire where it was attached to the fencepost and get away. The snare stayed around his waist drawn up where his flank was about 12 inches in circumference. This would have killed him eventually, but he came back through the same hole in the fence about 10 days later going the opposite direction. The trapper had another snare waiting and this one tightened up around the cat's neck and he was one dead cat when I saw him.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: BenBob] #423955 09/09/08 01:15 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: Curly] #423956 09/09/08 01:20 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
There is one that runs around here in the Gonzales area from time to time.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: Curtis] #423957 09/09/08 01:47 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Had a buddy tell of seeing one on our lease on the Archer/Baylor line north of Megargel...we thought he had too many cerveza's and kidded him...

A few months later I loosed an arrow at him....missed, used the wrong pin...now I am a believer.

I have also seen a big black cat...but don't want the thread to get off topic....

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #423958 09/09/08 01:58 PM
T
TX_Huntress Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
There have been several kills from one on our lease in Terrell county, about 15 miles from Dryden. One of the hunters is from Arizona, where he guides hunts for cats there, so he is knowledgeable about them. His wife was sitting a stand last season and had managed to shoot a doe, although she had been having trouble with her gun not firing. The cat showed up to check out the fresh killed doe, and did not leave until the guy showed up on his 4wheeler to come get her. She was white as a sheet when she got back to camp, and took a little while to settle down.

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

[Linked Image]
Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: airout33] #423959 09/09/08 02:09 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I saw one in Grayson county last November.

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: Crazyhorse] #423960 09/09/08 02:15 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Quote:

they are there, just real secretive.

I firmly believe there are a lot more lions in Texas than anyone including TP&W wants to think about.

NO DOUBT!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #423961 09/09/08 03:04 PM
O
onimo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
i wasnt gonna say nothing cause i didnt wanna get called a liar,but about a month ago i saw what seemed to be a black cat about 3ft long and a tail the size of its body on my way to cedar creek lake to fish! at first i thought it was a dog walking across a field but as we came up on it its tail was way to long then when i saw its head it didnt have a snout! but i told my buddy and thats when he told me the story about him shooting over his shoulder!

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: kdub] #423962 09/09/08 03:06 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Quote:

I saw one in Grayson county last November.

I have a friend whose family have all seen one around Randolph/Whitewright area, near Bois d'Arc Creek bottom...it was tanish-yellow in color

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: Sethfish] #423963 09/09/08 03:34 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Panola County, Sabine River Bottoms. 60km east of Shreveport

There could be anything in the world in the Sabine River bottoms.

that sir is a true statement. Simms Texas is proof of that.

That would be the Sulphur near Simms but same same.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: airout33] #423964 09/10/08 09:30 PM
B
Bull_Rope Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I have seen 3 different cats. All three, were on or near our family land on the Pease river north of Paducah. On one occassion I was walking back in from a morning hunt when I looked out into a low spot that had a feeder in it. I saw a doe spook out and head into the brush with one large and one smaller big cat in hot pursuit. I think this was a lion and her kitten stalking this doe. I saw this happen at about 80 yards but there are lots of wild plum thickets and high grass in that area so I couldnt get a full on view of either cat for more than a blip of a second or two. ....the third cat I spotted crossing hwy 83 about 6 miles north of Paducah on the way into town. I saw this cat at about 5 or 600 yards...mostly shilohette...but you know it when you see it....Really exciting.

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: Bull_Rope] #423965 09/11/08 01:40 AM
G
GWS147 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I saw one on the edge of Kaufman and VanZant county. we were quail hunting and walked out into an opening. It was watching the dog. When it saw us it took off.

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: GWS147] #423966 09/11/08 03:50 PM
Lone Ranger Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
It has been a pretty long time ago, about 1973 or 1974 after I had moved to Texas from Arkansas. I was hunting as a guest on a lease near Clarksville in Red River County. I was sitting in a tree stand and I saw a couple of does come through pretty close, less than 75 yards. They had just passed when I saw something following them. At first I thought it was a coyote, but then I saw that long swooping tale and it was crouched low to the ground. It was less than 75 yards away and was definitely a mountain lion. I watched him for quite a long time as he followed the same trail as the does. I sat there not knowing whether to shoot or not. Being new to Texas I didn't know if they were a protected species or not, since they were protected in Arkansas, and being a guest on the lease I didn't want to get in trouble by shooting something that I wasn't suppose to, so I just let it walk by. When I got back to the cabin and told everyone about it, they jumped all over me for not shooting it. Well, I can't turn back the clock, but if I ever see one again, I will definitely shoot it!!

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: Lone Ranger] #423967 09/11/08 04:22 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
I wasn't gonna say nuthin so not to get ridiculed BUT me and my buddy were coming home from our deer lease last year and we saw a tan colored big cat looking animal with a long tail run across the road in front of us on highway 154 close to Lake Fork, between the lake and Quitman. It was about 4:00 in the afternoon. We both discussed the possibility of it being a big dog or coyote but it's nose was short and the tail was long and skinny For the record, we were both sober haha.

Re: Seen A Mountain Lion [Re: airout33] #423968 09/11/08 05:29 PM
B
bojangles Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
seen two cougars and one black panther in parker county deffinately not a lie saw the panther last year and the cougas in 99 and 04

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide