Forums46
Topics538,117
Posts9,733,143
Members87,069
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4204661 04/22/13 09:56 PM
dfwroadkill Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Tinkering is good.

I think so... I appreciate your input. That is why I posted it on the forum. This idea can only move forward by sharing thoughts and experiences.

Hunter alert had a very inexpensive product, but at the expense of being cheaply made and rapidly failed if wet, plus only worked for about 100 yards. Still, you got 4 sensors and a receiver and each sensor triggered a different light on the receiver so you knew exactly which one sent the signal. The whole set cost $25, but the tsunami in Japan wiped out the factory and the product isn't made anymore...
http://www.hunteralert.com/

That is so cheap I can't imagine expecting much out of it.

The problem I have had with all of them, however, is that the don't detect hogs. They detect anything that moves (assuming they work). So they detect deer, coons, turkeys, coyotes, buzzards, and sometimes squirrels and rabbits. You can't just detect hogs while you sleep. You detect whatever moves. So this notion about being able to sleep until the hogs arrive is a be of a misdirection. Nobody has made a hog detector.

No, I get that. There is no way to determine what the animal is. It wasn't my intention to mislead anyone. The hope is that you could adjust the sensors to limit false alerts, as in smaller animals. If there is a lot of activity (i.e., larger animals)then you may not in fact get a lot of sleep. tired

The Dakota Alert MURS is expensive, but I would not call it too expensive for the masses. Joebob weekend hunter ain't buying it because Joebob doesn't know about it.

Oh, I disagree. I'm someone that could make the investment, but I just don't see the bang for the buck. Any product that offers a good performance at a good value is generally discovered quite quickly in this day and age. I think the cost vs benefit is too high or Joe Bob would know about it and have it right now.

I don't see Joebob carrying around a great big honkin' 6 v battery for the base station either, right.

That hadn't been my intent...to use it as a mobile system. I was thinking about a setup centered on one feeder and blind.

Will detect 8 sensors? Cool. If you don't know which and where, then where does that leave you? Eight sensors have the potential to not let you get any sleep, LOL. You will know that there are animals out there, somewhere, and one or more anonymous locations.

This would be incorrect. Each sensor has its own identifier. You do know which one is going off and subsequently where it is located.

Flip side, you're right, with heavy traffic and 8 sensors the potential is there for a restless night....but not necessarily. up

Dakota Alerts only gives you the option of 4 per channel, granted, but each at least identifies itself by number.

This gives you the option of 8 and also allows identity..

You are on the right track, but maybe the wrong train. The issue isn't clear cut and the solution isn't entirely simply.

Good! I'm real familiar wih the wrong train concept. grin Yes, I realize it isn't as simple as it appears on the surface. I am just playing with this and was looking for a solution that would work reasonably (careful) well at an excellent price point. It may never become anything, but I'm going to keep tinkering and testing.

The Dakota Alerts MURS system isn't the be all to end all answer either. It doesn't have vibration alert. It is pricy. The alerts are a fixed recording that are annoying (but do perform as advertised). The sensors are not preset to accept solar power, but do operate for a out 3-6 weeks on 6 rechargeable AA batteries). The handheld receiver will run for 10+ hours on a single charge, which is okay, but not great.

Most all of that details why I think that product is a fail. I still believe I can message this other product into something viable...if only for myself.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts and input. They are valuable to me. flehan

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: Bearclaw] #4204673 04/22/13 10:02 PM
dfwroadkill Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Bearclaw
I like tinkering as well. Cool idea all around and hope you get it perfected! The game cam systems with realtime pictures that upload to the net or text to you would work wouldnt they?That way you could see what triggered not that it was triggered, check the timestamp. Could you save each cam as a different contact do when it texts you it says the cam name? Again, pricy but effective. Does anybody use these? How quick do the pictures get to you?

There are a number of issues in using a system like this. To start with not everyone has a cell signal where they may want to hunt. Second, a game camera covers a very small area. Then you have the ongoing added expense to your cell bill. It's just not the tool for the job.

But keep the ideas coming. It is appreciated. grin

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: dfwroadkill] #4205282 04/23/13 01:55 AM
panther89 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Originally Posted By: panther89
i have this at work for cars coming in and out. You took my idea for this roflmao (minus the head set, good idea on that) it works on AA batteries. Here is the down fall it must be mounted 40 in above the ground, hogs are not that tall, if put on ground hogs might mess with it and destroy it. Either way am going to try it this weekend. I got mine from Northern Tools. It cost about $60 bucks for the base and $35 for each additional sensor. wroadkill you sir have a bright mind. Let me know if it works ill let you know how i do.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200415517_200415517

OK, first, you can get this much cheaper than at Northern Tool...

Second, it doesn't have to be mounted 40" off the ground (my manual says 3-5 feet and appears to be more suggestive than a must). I think the idea is to avoid false alerts by being too low (i.e., rabbits, skunks, possums and whatnot.). Positioning of the sensors will be critical. You want to avoid having anything in front of it that the wind can blow (i.e., small branches or tall grasses/weeds, etc.)

The headset, of course, is one of my modifications. It is not terribly technical, but as I have learned, beyond the skills or know-how of a reasonable percentage of our society. You also need to delete the sonolert. wink

Another thing is that the base is generally set up for AC with a DC backup. I think you'll find that the 4 little AA's won't run the base all that long. Thus, the addition of the 6 volt feeder battery which can be kept going for a very long time with a small 6 volt solar panel. Again, not all that technical, but requires a little basic knowledge and skills.

The actual downfall to me is the sensor power. With a lot of activity those 4 AA's won't last all that long. There are solutions of course, but each adds expense.

My goal from the start was to come up with something that was affordable to a lot of folks. Something simple. The Dakota MURS system is way too sophisticated and costly for the masses. I haven't added it up, but to cover multiple areas it would be very expensive. This system can monitor up to 8 sensors for less cost than one Dakota base and "sensor" unit. I'm sure the Dakota is great, but Joe Bob weekend hunter ain't buyin' it.

Something else I have been working on as an addition is a wireless RF vibration alert. You would be able to place it in your pocket and let it wake you. Headphones or an earphone is fine, but I'm wondering if the vibration wouldn't be better?

Lastly, I don't have a bright mind. muyloco I just like to think about hunting solutions and tinker... up

I think the vibrate idea will be more effective then the head set!! up Well try it out and let us know how it works. at my jobs it works great. And about the base battery it will only be on when your hunting right? Do you really think it will go off like crazy that it will kill the AA batteries right away?

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: dfwroadkill] #4205424 04/23/13 02:41 AM
P
pafree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
i have the Hunter Alert system and it does work. it works too well. it detects all movement including moving bushes and limbs. i ended up mounting under my feeder facing down. something has to move under the feeder before it detects. one night i didn't get the ear piece plugged in all the way on the reciever and it sounded out loud and never spooked the hogs at 70 yards.

it is a cheaply made system and i wouldn't leave it out all the time but a more water proof (for rainy/misty nights)system simular would work.

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: panther89] #4205450 04/23/13 02:50 AM
dfwroadkill Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: panther89
I think the vibrate idea will be more effective then the head set!! up Well try it out and let us know how it works. at my jobs it works great. And about the base battery it will only be on when your hunting right? Do you really think it will go off like crazy that it will kill the AA batteries right away?

I agree about the vibrate. I'm working on that solution. It was much easier to adapt a headset to the unit... up

About the batteries... I haven't gotten far enough along to see if the memoery must have power at all times to remember each sensor. If not, the larger battery would not be so crucial...

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: pafree] #4205457 04/23/13 02:55 AM
dfwroadkill Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: pafree
i have the Hunter Alert system and it does work. it works too well. it detects all movement including moving bushes and limbs. i ended up mounting under my feeder facing down. something has to move under the feeder before it detects. one night i didn't get the ear piece plugged in all the way on the reciever and it sounded out loud and never spooked the hogs at 70 yards.

it is a cheaply made system and i wouldn't leave it out all the time but a more water proof (for rainy/misty nights)system simular would work.

Thanks for the thoughts on that system. This one has a sensitivity adjust. I'm hoping that ability along with positioning will hold the false alerts down. As with any of these systems, one needs to clear the monitored zone of items that can be blown easily by the wind. It is the same with game cameras. If you don't clear the area, you get tons of picture of nothing.

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: dfwroadkill] #4206845 04/23/13 06:50 PM
G
Greytshot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
The Spypoint system works fine for me.

GreytShot
South Texas
Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: My stand is pink camo] #4208295 04/24/13 03:39 AM
KrzyKracKa Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
dfwroadkill, I would buy a couple units as soon as you can start producing them. Dakota units are nice but way too $$$ for what you get and if you have multiple locations that you want to hunt moving the units around is a pain not to mention risking breakage.

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: KrzyKracKa] #4208950 04/24/13 02:26 PM
dfwroadkill Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: KrzyKracka
dfwroadkill, I would buy a couple units as soon as you can start producing them. Dakota units are nice but way too $$$ for what you get and if you have multiple locations that you want to hunt moving the units around is a pain not to mention risking breakage.

My exact thoughts. Without spending mega bucks, nothing will ever be prefect, but I think this has a chance to be reasonably good at an affordable price.

On the flip side, contrary to popular belief, we could come up with a system that would pretty much only alert you if it were a hog....using facial recoginition software.....but that is an engineering mind gone wild.

In the meantime, I'm still working on getting this thing matured and tested. It will take a bit.

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: dfwroadkill] #4209617 04/24/13 06:39 PM
A
Appels Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Sign me up for alpha/beta testing. I will even throw you some $.

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: Appels] #4210852 04/25/13 03:13 AM
M
Mark S Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
interesting for sure.

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: Mark S] #4213118 04/26/13 02:40 AM
KrzyKracKa Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I might just be twisted enough to take on the facial integration part of that idea... I can get it to work with iOS/OSX most likely and friends of mine could port that over to Android & Windows with a case of beer bribe and possibly a hog/coyote hunt lol

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: 1860.colt] #4216223 04/27/13 02:53 PM
D
DavidK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I'm using the Dakota Alert system. Being that I'm an Amateur Radio operator, I built different antenna's and cables that you can have the motion sensor/transmitter at its normal height and put the antenna's up higher. I even used antenna's I built with higher gain.

I also built an antenna and use a Motorola base radio to receive the signals at my travel trailer, the antenna sits up on a 25 foot mast. As DNS said, the system isn't the cheapest, but the range is better than most, as we know our feeders can be miles away, so the cheap units are hard to pick up past 100 yards.

Wilson Combat Pro Staff
Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: 1860.colt] #4217907 04/28/13 06:55 PM
O
olenarey87 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Looks like a good idea.

Thanks,
Olen
Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: 1860.colt] #4241696 05/08/13 05:09 PM
R
red1911 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Thats a great idea.

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: red1911] #4241917 05/08/13 06:27 PM
T
talkturkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I have and use the exact same alert system, less your modifications of course, and it works great. Have it set up about 80 yards outside the camp house window. Downside as mentioned, it detects any movement, hogs, deer, coons, coyotes, etc and DH can, and will, sleep through the alert tone. But since it's far away from camp, when I open the window, DH's snoring doesn't seem to bother the piggies. I haven't had any problems with it being too sensitive (ie, weeds, wind) or had any bad experience using it during rain. With the receiver in camp, no need for battery connection. Just need a sign that states PIG pipe, NOT a deer pipe to cut down on false alarms. Inexpensive option as well. You're on the right track!

Re: Detecting Hogs While You Sleep [Re: talkturkey] #4247229 05/10/13 08:41 PM
R
redfred Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
A friend of mine uses a pair of walkie-talkies. He tapes the button down on one and hangs it next to his feeder. He takes the other one and sits in his nice warm (or cool, depending on season)cabin. When he hears some pigs, he walks down the trail to the feeder to take his shot.

Alcohol,Tobacco, and Firearms. Should not be a government bureau. Should be a department store.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide