Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: NRA [Re: Koenig] #417585 08/30/08 03:39 AM
B
bayourat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
You can actually join the NRA's lobbying group for hunters rights without joining the NRA. Freehunters.org is an arm of the NRA that is based on hunters rights and protecting land loss due to development. Pretty decent magazine comes with membership also.

Re: NRA [Re: Koenig] #417586 08/30/08 03:40 AM
D
DuckCrazy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
The biggest problem I have with any of these so called non profit orginizations is when they pay their executives million dollar salaries. Texas Fish And Game did a story about this and it was astounding how much these guys bank.Wayne LaPierre was the biggest millionare exec.The nwtf and du guys were way up there also. Delta waterfowls top dog was the lowest at 80k.then like a jehovah witness they wont leave you alone wantin money.those are my biggest beefs with those orginizations. Dont get me wrong im a firm beleiver in strength in numbers, but dont ask me for my membership dues then hit me up for more so you can pay off some politician. The whole thing is just sick !!

I'll hit ya so hard you'll have to clear your throat to fart! Roy D Mercer.
Re: NRA [Re: DuckCrazy] #417587 08/30/08 04:23 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Online Happy
duck & cover
Online Happy
duck & cover
Lots of good points here. I don't always like the NRA's stand on somethings. BUT, I do believe that we have to stand together. I believe hunters (gun, archers, falconry, whatever), gun owners, target shooters, airgun enthusiasts, hekc even paintballers, all are in the minority and need to stick together.

I don't vote the way the NRA tells me too. But usually, their chosen candidates, also feel the same way I do about life, liberty, taxes, national defense, education, welfare and government.

I am a Life Member of the NRA. I am a contributor as well. But I am not a sheep....I can read, listen, and research for myself.

Re: NRA [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #417588 08/30/08 07:04 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I'm a member of the NRA

Re: NRA [Re: 10pointers] #417589 08/30/08 11:57 AM
B
budreau Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
life member forever plus some. they do great work for our rights as hunters and gun owners alike ( the 2 seem to go together for some reason ).

Re: NRA [Re: budreau] #417590 08/30/08 12:19 PM
J
Jay9371 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I.m a member as well. It can be annoying with all the requests for donations, but Washington is expensive and this is how they acquire the funding to fight the coolaid drinkers.

Re: NRA [Re: Koenig] #417591 08/30/08 12:23 PM
M
Miss.300WeatherbyMagnum Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
LIFE MEMBER

Re: NRA [Re: Miss.300WeatherbyMagnum] #417592 08/30/08 12:30 PM
lil_red_ryder Offline
Tracker
Tracker
LIFE MEMEBER!!

What happens at deer camp stay's at deer camp!
Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417593 08/30/08 01:40 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Koenig, maybe you need to pay more attention to reality and history than what propaganda is being spewed out on You Tube.

The act of hunting by Humans is part of our genetic makeup, it is hard wired, that is why our eyes are on the front of our head, we evolved as hunters.

Giving the NRA credit for helping preserve our ability to own the firearms of our choice is fine, no arguement here.

To try and credit the NRA with preserving our ability to hunt, is in my opinion plain and simple.

Game laws and regulations have been evolving right along with humans, it has always been hunters, that have brought about the changes that have allowed our most sought after species to thrive in huntable populations to this day.

To a large extent, regardless of what some would like for us to believe, it has been hunters, that thru their actions to preserve or enhance the habitat for the species they persue, that have enabled many species that are of no real interest to hunters, either as meat or trophy, to thrive.

No one has yet tried to answer my question as to whether NRA membership, or lack there of, detemines the worth or value of another person.

In many ways, I feel that the NRA has evolved along the same lines many of the various Unions have.

They served a great purpose at one time, had it not been for Unions we would all still be making .50 a day.

But just like those Unions, the NRA has grown to large and their management team have became highly paid lobbyists, intent on one thing and that is keeping their jobs.

The constant statements about gun ownership and hunting going hand in hand are no longer accurate, as archers are gaining in numbers across the country and the world, and whether they were/are kidding or ing or whatever, there are archers on this site that have stated that they would just as soon see all deer hunting in Texas, be closed to gun hunting.

I am not trying to drive any wedges in here, I am just stating facts.

The NRA has done a lot that is good in the area of private gun ownership, but the influence any of that has had on hunting, has only been peripheral.

In fact, if people will take time to read and not watch video clips, about the only time the NRA its self really gets involved with a hunting issue, is when there is a question concerning the possible ban of a certain type firearm for that type of hunting.

Lastly, Cruz, your comment about it being pathetic about humans being willing to throw each other under the bus, in hopes of being able to hold on to something they like to do, like hunting, that to is hard wired in most humans genetics.

Keep this statement in mind, because I have found it applies to over 95% of the people I have ever meet and dealt with:

"I will support your right to do something, As Long As It Does Not Threaten My Right To Do Something I Like".

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417594 08/30/08 02:46 PM
J
Jay9371 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
The NRA was formed to combat those who want to abolish the 2nd amendment. This clearly states "the right to keep and bear arms". Hunting is just one segment of gun ownership. There is also collecting, self/home defense, competition and so on. Since we're quoting statements lets not forget these.

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

If the NRA were not standing between us and these idiots they would try and take all guns eventually.

"Evil flourishes when brave men do nothing"

The NRA is made up of those people who don't want to loose there right granted by our forefathers.

Re: NRA [Re: Jay9371] #417595 08/30/08 03:29 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Since we're quoting statements lets not forget these.

And that statement covers everyone concerned, including the people that can and do serve in the highest levels of the NRA.

Quote:

If the NRA were not standing between us and these idiots they would try and take all guns eventually.

"Evil flourishes when brave men do nothing"

The American Public, while suffering moral and social decline, is still not in the "Death Throes" of becoming total Sheeple.

As long as Free Thought and Free Will are part of our nature, the Public can and will fight, thru the ballot box to maintain ALL of our rights, as there is some group constantly trying to take those from us.

As I have stated, the NRA has been a powerful force in supporting the right to own firearms, I have no arguement against that.

To credit the NRA with being the savior of hunting in the US is something I do not agree with, nor do I agree with the attitude that just because anyone does not believe that the NRA is the "Be All, End All, salvation for Gun Owners and the Hunting Public", they are wrong and less a person or hunter, is wrong on so many levels.

I am not at any point downing ANYONE for belonging to and supporting the NRA, I am just saying I tried it for a while and it just was not working for me and my beliefs in hunting and gun ownership.

Re: NRA [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #417596 08/30/08 03:46 PM
J
jackwabbit2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Quote:

Lots of good points here. I don't always like the NRA's stand on somethings. BUT, I do believe that we have to stand together. I believe hunters (gun, archers, falconry, whatever), gun owners, target shooters, airgun enthusiasts, hekc even paintballers, all are in the minority and need to stick together.

I don't vote the way the NRA tells me too. But usually, their chosen candidates, also feel the same way I do about life, liberty, taxes, national defense, education, welfare and government.

I am a Life Member of the NRA. I am a contributor as well. But I am not a sheep....I can read, listen, and research for myself.

This is the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

life member

I have some magic beans if anyone is interested. No extra time hunting but they'll make you fart to the tune of Back In Black...

KC 1/10/10
Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417597 08/30/08 06:24 PM
C
Cruz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I though I had answered your question on my last response I now see I left something out.

No, I don’t believe that if you are a gun owner and not a member of the NRA you are less of a person, gun owners etc. I do think all gun owners should be active in the politics of this country this means voting for pro-gun people. My only wish would be that gun owners help their cause anyway they can. That means joining pro-gun groups like the NRA and/or helping out at what I call the local level with clubs or at the very lest being responsible gun owners.

Re: NRA [Re: Cruz] #417598 08/30/08 06:39 PM
J
jmysr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Quote:

Do what i do, i see something from the NRA in the mail and i just throw it away.

I can't really understand your statements or stances, but that's what makes us all different. Who do think was the major supported of the recent case that went to the Supreme Court and the same supporter going after the cities that don't allow gun ownership.

God Bless

Re: NRA [Re: jmysr] #417599 08/30/08 07:31 PM
C
Cruz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Quote:

Quote:

Do what i do, i see something from the NRA in the mail and i just throw it away.

I can't really understand your statements or stances, but that's what makes us all different. Who do think was the major supported of the recent case that went to the Supreme Court and the same supporter going after the cities that don't allow gun ownership.

God Bless

Someone mentioned that the NRA send its members letters urging them to send more money aside from the dues they pay. That is a reason some use to say why they are not members of the NRA. To me that's not a real reason just throw away the letter they send and know when every year your membership expires.

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417600 08/30/08 07:52 PM
B
budreau Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
CH what if any organizations are you a member ?

Re: NRA [Re: budreau] #417601 08/30/08 08:16 PM
B
bayourat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Javalina's Anonymous, Crocthety Old farts quartely, He does know and appreciate good beer though

Re: NRA [Re: budreau] #417602 08/30/08 10:48 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
At this point in time in my life, none.

Unless the North American Hunting Club and North American Fishing Club count, which in my book they don't.

Now, what difference does it make???

Why does being part of something matter so much, in one persons judgement or attitude toward another person?

As I have stated before on similar topics, and as another person stated on this thread, unless you are capable of donating in the Thousand Dollar or more range yearly, about all an annual membership does is cover postage for their mailouts.

One of the neat things that takes place with the Federal Goverment each year, is a program titled the Combined Federal Campaign.

Now that program, which is taken seriously by both the Goverment and its Employees, places a cap of about 20% of a charities or what ever they want to call themselves, budget, that can be spent on Administrative costs, to even be consider for the program.

Why does or is "Belonging" to an organization make such a difference?

Does it keep people honest, No.

Does it make them a better person, No.

Does it make them more of a human, NO.

Does it make them a better hunter, No.

What does membership in ANY organization ACTUALLY do for anyone?

I can see being a member of the VFW, American Legion, USO, any of those type organizations.

I have yet to see where being a annual paid member of ANY organization that is OPEN to The General Public, accomplishes anything.

Yes, you get a neat little sticker to put on you car window, but that does not keep a person from being a dirt bag, now does it.

Re: NRA [Re: psycho0819] #417603 08/30/08 11:11 PM
E
elkhunter7x6 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Quote:

Quote:

Their only negative as far as I'm concerned is there is no way I can keep up with the requests for donations. It gets irksome at times.

You can contact the NRA and request that the only thing they send you is a Membership renewal. I did this 5 years ago and so far they have honored my request.

Precisely why I am not a member anymore. It's like once you give them inch, they want a mile. I realize they fight the good fight, and all that. "But come on, you got my money, now leave me alone, and stop trying to guilt me into sending you more".

As far as Sarah Palin... I knew absolutely nothing about her before today. So far I haven't heard one thing about the lady I don't like. I wish she was a the top of the ticket! The rumors are already flying that McCain is only looking to serve one term and then hand over the reins. If that's the case, it's yet another reason to vote for them..so we can get another Reagan conservative in office in four years. But they ARE just Rumors.

Jay

You can contact the NRA and request that the only thing they send you is a Membership renewal. I did this 5 years ago and so far they have honored my request.

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417604 08/30/08 11:59 PM
B
budreau Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Quote:

At this point in time in my life, none.

Unless the North American Hunting Club and North American Fishing Club count, which in my book they don't.

Now, what difference does it make???

Why does being part of something matter so much, in one persons judgement or attitude toward another person?

As I have stated before on similar topics, and as another person stated on this thread, unless you are capable of donating in the Thousand Dollar or more range yearly, about all an annual membership does is cover postage for their mailouts.

One of the neat things that takes place with the Federal Goverment each year, is a program titled the Combined Federal Campaign.

Now that program, which is taken seriously by both the Goverment and its Employees, places a cap of about 20% of a charities or what ever they want to call themselves, budget, that can be spent on Administrative costs, to even be consider for the program.

Why does or is "Belonging" to an organization make such a difference?

Does it keep people honest, No.

Does it make them a better person, No.

Does it make them more of a human, NO.

Does it make them a better hunter, No.

What does membership in ANY organization ACTUALLY do for anyone?

I can see being a member of the VFW, American Legion, USO, any of those type organizations.

I have yet to see where being a annual paid member of ANY organization that is OPEN to The General Public, accomplishes anything.

Yes, you get a neat little sticker to put on you car window, but that does not keep a person from being a dirt bag, now does it.

everybody has a right to join what they want.alot of groups do good things so i think your statement about none of them doing any good seems out of line. i personly think the NRA does a world of good for all of us, hunters and gunowners alike. i don't subscribe to the north american hunt club but i'm sure they do something for the good.

Re: NRA [Re: budreau] #417605 08/31/08 12:14 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You have taken most of what I said completely out of context.

I have not said anywhere that the various organizations have not done good things, I just said that they have never done anything that reached out and grbbed me.

It is a lot like people going from one church to another, they are looking for something, but they may have to do a lot of searching before they find the church or the pastor that reaches out to them in the way they are looking for.

Go back up thru the thread where I said anything about the NRA not doing good work.

I said the NRA's main goal/agenda/purpose is the right of Gun Ownership, hunting, is not a primary goal with them, and I am not the only one that has pointed that out.

Also, by stating that membership in the NRA or any other organization, including this forum, that is OPEN to the general public, guarantees nothing about the individuals that make up the membership.

As long as someone, anyone is making their contributions, I have not seen these organizations run back ground checks, have you????

As for the NAHC and NAFC, no, they really don't do anything worthwhile, they are in the business to make money, first-last-always.

This is the reason these type threads are such a pain, I don't have any problem debating the issue, but it clearly shows in peoples responses that whether a person is a joiner or not, does affect how others think about them and react to them.

The NRA has done many good things to HELP preserve the rights of Individuals to own firearms, I do not see anywhere that the NRA has been the savior of hunting in America.

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417606 08/31/08 12:27 AM
K
Koenig Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Quote:

The NRA has done many good things to HELP preserve the rights of Individuals to own firearms, I do not see anywhere that the NRA has been the savior of hunting in America.

I agree hunting with guns is way over rated. Hunting with rocks now thats a skill.

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
never trust a man that rents pigs....
Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417607 08/31/08 12:38 AM
J
Jay9371 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Quote:

Quote:

Since we're quoting statements lets not forget these.

And that statement covers everyone concerned, including the people that can and do serve in the highest levels of the NRA.

Just out of curiosity. Are you suggesting the the top brass at the NRA are corrupt. If so I would sure be interested in some references about this information for my own personal knowledge. To this point I have never heard of anything like this at the top of this organization.

Re: NRA [Re: Jay9371] #417608 08/31/08 12:46 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Go back and look at the history of the NRA over the past 40 years, not all of those changes in leadership were the result of people wanting out, but because of peoples focus changing.

Corruption, does not always have to be based on Monetary Gain, changes in individual philosophies and ideaologies have brought many powerful leaders in all sorts of businesses down.

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417609 08/31/08 12:49 AM
J
Jay9371 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Ok, I've been a member for the past 25 years and have no idea what you are referring to. Again can you give a specific reference so that I can review it and come to my own conclusion?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide