Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
NRA #417560 08/29/08 06:22 PM
D
dove_buster Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
D
Sarah Palin the McCain's VP is a life long member. Way to go!!! This is a hunting forum and our rights as hunters are constantly in jeapordy so yes the is ON TOPIC, and this is the OPEN hunting discussion section.

Re: NRA [Re: dove_buster] #417561 08/29/08 09:02 PM
C
Cruz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Her NRA status is a good thing imo. McCain's position is again imo not the best when it comes to gun rights but it could be worse. You might be surprised an the # of folks on this site that are not NRA members and/or have a negative view of the organization. Like i've said before being a hunter does not nessecary make you a friend of gun owners. JMO

Re: NRA [Re: Cruz] #417562 08/29/08 09:11 PM
Big Tony Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I am.

"A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be." -Fred Bear
Re: NRA [Re: Big Tony] #417563 08/29/08 09:20 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I'm not!

Re: NRA [Re: Cruz] #417564 08/29/08 10:21 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
From past experience with this topic on here, it has the real potential to get out of hand really quick.

I was an NRA member for a few years, but am not one now, for what to me are valid reasons.

I understand that hunters and gun owners should all support each other, but just like in many aspects of our lives, that is not the way things are in real time.

Just an observation at this point, but many more responses and people are going to start drawing lines over this issue.

If that does not happen I will be surprised. JMO.

As an example, Cruz, turn this statement around:

Quote:

Like i've said before being a hunter does not nessecary make you a friend of gun owners. JMO

Not all gun owners are friends of hunters either.

This is a two way street, but to many folks do not see it that way.

Last edited by Crazyhorse; 08/29/08 10:24 PM.
Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417565 08/29/08 10:39 PM
S
Sabrinavonbach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Quote:

From past experience with this topic on here, it has the real potential to get out of hand really quick.

I was an NRA member for a few years, but am not one now, for what to me are valid reasons.

I understand that hunters and gun owners should all support each other, but just like in many aspects of our lives, that is not the way things are in real time.

Just an observation at this point, but many more responses and people are going to start drawing lines over this issue.

If that does not happen I will be surprised. JMO.

As an example, Cruz, turn this statement around:

Quote:

Like i've said before being a hunter does not nessecary make you a friend of gun owners. JMO

Not all gun owners are friends of hunters either.

This is a two way street, but to many folks do not see it that way.

We have not agreed on much. However you might agree with this. Hunters and gunownership are intertwined and closely linked. The anti's want to divide and conquer. If one side falls so will the other. There's a reason the 2nd amendment was second on the list.

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417566 08/29/08 11:18 PM
C
Cruz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I just don’t see the #'s non-hunting gun owners willing to throw hunters under the bus. I can’t say the opposite is true though. I would say non-hunting gun owners are if anything neutral on hunting as apposed to some hunters that are down right hostile to some gun owners. Jmo.

Re: NRA [Re: Cruz] #417567 08/29/08 11:48 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It is all up to each persons interpretation of the situation.

There are gun owners that have never fired a shot at an animal, and there are gun owners out there that have never fired the guns they own.

ANYBODY, is willing to throw ANYONE else under the bus, if they believe it will allow them to keep pursuing their interest as they choose, it is Human Nature.

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417568 08/29/08 11:56 PM
K
Koenig Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
If it wasn't for the NRA this site wouldn't exist and we wouldn't be having this discussion IMO.

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
never trust a man that rents pigs....
Re: NRA [Re: Koenig] #417569 08/29/08 11:58 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
But you do not know that for sure either way, now do you?????

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417570 08/30/08 12:14 AM
C
Cruz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Quote:

ANYBODY, is willing to throw ANYONE else under the bus, if they believe it will allow them to keep pursuing their interest as they choose, it is Human Nature.

And pathetic imo.

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417571 08/30/08 12:15 AM
K
Koenig Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
If you don't think the NRA has preserved our shooting and hunting sports then you should pay more attention.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEia1DAT-eo

Re: NRA [Re: Koenig] #417572 08/30/08 12:24 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You can not prove it. There are a lot of folks out there that vote and own guns that have never belonged or supported the NRA.

The NRA has been a strong voice on the side of Private Gun Ownership, but Private Gun Owners, are the ones that decide on who they are going to vote for, and they are not going to willingly give up their right to own guns, NRA or No NRA.

You can watch all the You Tube you want, the average American citizen that owns guns, pays attention to the candidates and their stand on Gun Ownership, PERIOD.

You are telling me that I should pay more attention, why do you feel or think that I have not been paying attention to how the candidates stand on Private Gun Ownership since I started voting in the early 70's.

Can you explain that?

I do not think so.

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417573 08/30/08 12:57 AM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D
I belong to the NRA, but they do not tell me how to vote. I usually know without them. That being said, they have done a great job over the last couple of decades being a lobby for the second amendment, whether the gun owners are members or not. Their only negative as far as I'm concerned is there is no way I can keep up with the requests for donations. It gets irksome at times.

Re: NRA [Re: deerfeeder] #417574 08/30/08 01:34 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Quote:

Their only negative as far as I'm concerned is there is no way I can keep up with the requests for donations. It gets irksome at times.

Precisely why I am not a member anymore. It's like once you give them inch, they want a mile. I realize they fight the good fight, and all that. "But come on, you got my money, now leave me alone, and stop trying to guilt me into sending you more".

As far as Sarah Palin... I knew absolutely nothing about her before today. So far I haven't heard one thing about the lady I don't like. I wish she was a the top of the ticket! The rumors are already flying that McCain is only looking to serve one term and then hand over the reins. If that's the case, it's yet another reason to vote for them..so we can get another Reagan conservative in office in four years. But they ARE just Rumors.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: NRA [Re: psycho0819] #417575 08/30/08 01:38 AM
C
Cruz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Do what i do, i see something from the NRA in the mail and i just throw it away.

Re: NRA [Re: deerfeeder] #417576 08/30/08 01:39 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I belong to the NRA, but they do not tell me how to vote. I usually know without them.

That is my point. The NRA does not care as much about hunting, as it does gun ownership.

When has the NRA taken a stance on the rights of Archers to enjoy the sport in the manner they chose?

Can any one give me a reference on that one?????

DeerFeeder, not directed at you, because I feel that we see things from a more even footing.

But, it is too easy for people to get pulled into the dogma of a powerful lobby group, without really looking at what that groups goals and objectives are.

Yes, the HRA has been the major advocate for the rights of GUN OWNERS, the rights of hunters, is an also ran in their grand scheme of things.

Again, look at bow hunters versus gun hunters.

How much effort does the NRA put forth toward protecting the rights of Archers.

I am open for any evidence.

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417577 08/30/08 01:43 AM
C
Cruz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Probably because they are the National Rifle Association and not the National hunters or archers Association.

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417578 08/30/08 01:46 AM
P
Parker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Quote:

How much effort does the NRA put forth toward protecting the rights of Archers.

Not throwing rocks here, but, they are the National Rifle Association, not the National Bowmen's Association.

Re: NRA [Re: Cruz] #417579 08/30/08 01:52 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Folks, the NRA has been a strong advocate for Gun Owners Rights, but let me throw it right back in your faces, it is the National Rifle Association, NOT the National Rifle Hunters Association, NOT the National Shotgun Hunters Association, Not The National Any Kind Of Hunting Association.

Do those of you that support the NRA feel that those of us that don't, are less of a human/sportsman/gun owner/citizen than you are?

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417580 08/30/08 02:03 AM
P
Parker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Just for clarity: I WAS a member of the NRA, but no longer am. My reasons are the same as several previous posters, and more. At one time, I wanted to be actively involved in their efforts. I went to several meetings and signed up to be a volunteer, sent emails, and a letter voicing my request to dontate my free time to their efforts. At that time, the labor that I could contribute GREATLY out-weighed the money that I could give (and I truly wanted to volunteer my time). The ONLY thing that I ever heard back from them was their mass-mailings requesting more financial contributions. So, I figured, if me as a singular/willing person was not good enough for them, then maybe my efforts would be better spent elsewhere. I moved on. I appreciate their efforts, but I can't afford to keep up with their demands. I wish I had $1000 just to hand over every year, but I don't. And, to me, those are the people that they're looking for.

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417581 08/30/08 02:06 AM
C
Cruz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Quote:

Folks, the NRA has been a strong advocate for Gun Owners Rights, but let me throw it right back in your faces, it is the National Rifle Association, NOT the National Rifle Hunters Association, NOT the National Shotgun Hunters Association, Not The National Any Kind Of Hunting Association.

Do those of you that support the NRA feel that those of us that don't, are less of a human/sportsman/gun owner/citizen than you are?

I think supporting the rights of all gun owners regardless if they hunt or not is a good thing. Supporting the NRA is one way of supporting gun rights but it's not only way. Voting for canidates that support the rights of gun owners is another way. Being involved in shooting clubs and developing new gun owners is another. I feel gun owners should support each other and not sell others out becuse of what guns they choose to own.

Re: NRA [Re: Crazyhorse] #417582 08/30/08 02:20 AM
D
dove_buster Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
D
Quote:

let me throw it right back in your faces, it is the National Rifle Association, NOT the National Rifle Hunters Association, NOT the National Shotgun Hunters Association, Not The National Any Kind Of Hunting Association.

Yes but thats just the name. Bottom line is they protect the 2nd amendmant which is important to most hunters who use "arms" for hunting. Just cuz the place is called Burger King doesnt me you can't get some chicken nuggets.

Re: NRA [Re: dove_buster] #417583 08/30/08 02:47 AM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D
Ya'll are being too hard on CH. What he's saying about them being the National Rifle Association and not the "NHA" is true. I remember some years (okay quite a few years) where it was practically any type of gun ownership. That's what they do, and do well, but hunting per se is often secondary or seen as a "special interest group" to help them achieve what they want.

IMO much of the way people view the NRA is colored by the way the media treats anything about them.

Bottomline, I wouldn't want to be without them, but their main reason for being anymore is not to insure that you can use your firearm for hunting. We as hunters are just a part of what they do.

Re: NRA [Re: deerfeeder] #417584 08/30/08 03:22 AM
K
Koenig Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread