Forums46
Topics539,549
Posts9,750,918
Members87,167
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 20 of 44 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Woody Wood] #4158739 04/01/13 02:48 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Bump for a great thread

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Woody Wood] #4159738 04/01/13 04:50 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Nobody found anything cool this past season?

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: SapperTitan] #4159806 04/01/13 05:31 PM
S
smh264 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
In the mid 80's an outfitter and I found a brand new active geyser a few files West of Cody, WY toward Yellowstone. We were sheep hunting and if we had been a few yards to either side of the lookout we were at, we would not have seen it. It blew about 30 feet in the air every 90 seconds and had apparently just started because the ground around it still had green grass and none of the mineral deposits the geysers all have. We went to the USGS on the west end of Cody and ask if there was any thermal activity outside Yellowstone Park toward Cody at that time and they said "definitely NOT". We figured they knew what they were talking about so we didn't tell them where it was.

Lifetime NRA Member, GPAA member
Ex Law Enforcement/Police Firearms Instructor
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: smh264] #4159824 04/01/13 05:39 PM
S
smh264 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Coming off the mountain from elk hunting one evening in WY, found a horse on the trail with saddle, scabbard, rifle, everything but the rider. We figured the rider had gotten off for a nature call and didn't tie the horse and it decided to head back to the trailhead. We tied him on the trail figuring that the now "foot soldier" was further up the trail and would pass by the horse on his way down.
Also found a new scoped rifle on Muddy Mountain south of Casper, WY while mulie hunting. We put it a bit out of sight since it was lying on a rock by the trail for anyone to see that came by. A few miles down the trail, found three young teens having more fun than hunting. They said one of them dropped the rifle and filled the barrel with snow/mud and it was too heavy to carry when they couldn't shoot it. They were going to pick it back up on the way out. Smart, Huh?

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: smh264] #4159834 04/01/13 05:42 PM
S
smh264 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Found a game warden's wallet and hunting license on the trail in the Sunlight Basin outside Cody, WY. I left it at a game warden game check station and let them know that he was up there hunting without a license. Everybody got a good laugh over that. Found another wallet in the muddy Deer Creek Trail on the South Fork out of Cody. Called the guy when we got out from hunting. He thought he would never see the money or cards again.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: aoudadhunter] #4160146 04/01/13 07:49 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Interesting reads in this topic.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: BenBob] #4161180 04/02/13 02:56 AM
B
baileyTexas Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
interesting

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: BenBob] #4161184 04/02/13 02:57 AM
B
baileyTexas Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
interesting

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: baileyTexas] #4161371 04/02/13 05:06 AM
S
smh264 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Found a silver dollar while hunting with about 3 miles South of Goldthwaite in the early 1950's. It was in the caliche lying there like it was just waiting for me to pick it up. Still have it.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: smh264] #4161477 04/02/13 11:23 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Found a 1924 penny in the dirt road, no telling how long it had been there before it finally surfaced.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Stub] #4161994 04/02/13 03:05 PM
C
Creek Henry Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I have found some old, old bottles of 'bitters' out in woods and the fields around where I hunt. There is also a house site that had a log cabin (now gone) and a root cellar. Lots of weird stuff around there.

Arrowheads, too; we find those once in a while.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Creek Henry] #4162067 04/02/13 03:35 PM
S
smh264 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Found a Browning Woodsman 22 pistol in a pistol rug on a trail about 15 miles from the trailhead. Found out later the game wardens had been after some drunk "hunters" in that drainage who were drunk and riding up and down the trail like in the old westerns and shooting a pistol off their horses at anything that would get their attention; including toward other hunters.

Found an old wad of leather with a brand "US" on it and it appeared to be an old bino case. There were about a dozen 45-70 or 45-90 cases with it. A friend in Cody wanted them and I don't remember the exact caliber the cases were.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Texpppr] #4162895 04/02/13 08:44 PM
T
TEXASTRAPPER Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I found 2 foothold traps with a mesquite tree growing through the jaws. One of the traps was last manufactured in 1903.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: TEXASTRAPPER] #4171583 04/06/13 04:24 PM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Very cool thread. Where I dove hunt there's a "pauper's" cemetery right at the gate. I was driving by one morning about 20 years ago and a recently buried person had been exhumed, piece by piece, by possums. I went to HS with the local funeral director who managed the plot at the time and told him he had some re-burying to do.

Found an old iron hatchet head right in front of my deer stand about 20 years ago. It's still in a drawer in the old camper out there as far as I know.

Season before last I found a brand new Weatherby Vanguard in .300WM with a Leupold scope, in a soft case, in the middle of my property. I turned it in to the Sheriff who contacted TP&W. It's still in the posession of the Sheriff's office, I guess. In hind-sight, I wish I'd removed that Leupold before turning it in.

When I was a kid, about 40 years ago, dove hunting behind the house in a freshly plowed field, I found a Boker/Tree Brand three-blade pocket knife that was old and rusty. I cleaned it up and still use it. It's in the glove-box of my truck right now.

A friend of my family bought a patch of grown-up land and while clearing it found a small Civil War cemetery, about a dozen graves. He chain-link fenced it in, leveled all the head-stones, and maintains it nicely to this day.

Catfishing on the Brazos on a friend's place just north of Highbank and south of the Falls crossing one night in about '83. I'd scaled down the bluff about 8 feet and there was a real nice plank jutting out, made a nice seat. I sat there and caught fish all night. In the morning light I realized it was the foot of a coffin. Turns out there was actually a settlement there years ago and as the bank erodes away, and the river "moves," things get un-covered.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Woody Wood] #4171828 04/06/13 07:26 PM
M
Minotphil Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
A van with its windows all fogged up and a couple getting busy in the back seat.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Minotphil] #4171840 04/06/13 07:34 PM
F
FreerOrBust Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
A ladies panties and shorts lol. Lots of old pull top beer cans and olde medicine viles.

Just doing it for fun now.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: FreerOrBust] #4173109 04/07/13 06:01 PM
30 pack Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Posted this in the creepy stuff thread a few years ago, but will post again here, cause its creepy and unusual.

About 20 years ago, in Huffman, TX, there was a pond about 10' deep and 150' in diameter. It had dried up one really dry summer and us kids were in the muddy bottom catching crawdads. The pond was full of stuff that had been dumped over the years- washers, dryers, general garbage.

We were moving the junk to get crawdads and found a complete, uncut cast from an arm. It was an L shape, like would go over
an elbow, and there would be no way to slip an arm out of it without it being cut. We didn't think much of it at the time, but years later I wonder if there could have been a body in there.

I guess it could have been a model from some kind of med school, who knows. Not a lot of med students in Huffman, I would guess. The pond was filled in about 10 years ago.

"I like pig butts and I can not lie"
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: 30 pack] #4173117 04/07/13 06:06 PM
30 pack Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Another time during a drought, I was fishing/exploring little dried up ponds and coves on the banks of the East San Jac river.

Found an big, old oil well drill bit in the mud. It was very heavy, so I left it there. I still wanna go back and try to remember where it was and get it. It would look pretty cool cleaned up as decor for my shop.

"I like pig butts and I can not lie"
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: SapperTitan] #4174314 04/08/13 06:08 AM
10pointers Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Nobody found anything cool this past season?

Just the norm as the last five years nothing large enough to make antler restrictions

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: 10pointers] #4175052 04/08/13 05:38 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Friend of mine bought a 1000 acre ranch next to their current one to increase their land holdings. It has a grave marker on in with a child, man, and lady buried there from the 50's to the 80's. I took a picture of it. This past November I was at a family event and showed the picture to our family friends with the same last name. It was was the guys uncle! His grandad bought it in the early 1900s. He grew up spending summers on the ranch and hunting it. We all live in Dallas and this ranch is 90 miles away. Small world and I happened to be going their the next day after discovering this. We got a hog and deer right by the site.

Another grave story. I lease in Montague county and my wife is from the Panhandle. Her great great grandad is buried 5 miles from my lease in Montague! He had a 1400 acre ranch there from 1870 to 1902 no one really knew about. 8 or 9 family members are buried in a cemetery there. My daughters name is their last name. In doing research you can find some interesting things. From the Bowie newspaper, One morning he found two horses gutted around 1885.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Txduckman] #4177187 04/09/13 04:10 PM
S
smh264 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Found one of the old claw footed bathtubs at just below 11,000 feet elevation on Ptarmigan Mtn in Wyoming. Also found one of the old queen ? wood cook stoves in a camp in the same general area. Only way into this area is miles and miles by horseback on a really rough trail. The cook stove was obviously being used occasionally and was in an outfitter's camp that was abandoned until the hunting season. The story was that the outfitter used glue factory bound horses with the stove loaded on one of them and packed it until the horse crashed. They would then use the horse for bear bait and loaded the stove on another until it couldn't go any longer and it then became bear bait. Never heard anything about why the bath tub would be there but it was pretty cool. We all took turns sitting in it and taking our pic on the highest mountain top in the area in an old claw footed bath tub.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: smh264] #4177228 04/09/13 04:31 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
A very important person must have been hunting there!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Txduckman] #4178444 04/10/13 01:34 AM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Great Tread!! Have read several of these and they never get old.

Never found a dead body or anything but a couple things come to mind.

Grinding bowl and stone - flint skinning knife
When I was younger, I would go stay with my sister in Andrews during the summer. My BIL worked as a well pumper and I would ride with him. He had a well right next to the Wink Sink. Crazy story goes with that as well. Anyway, we would hunt for arrow heads near Monahans. Usually about once a week because the wind would blow the sand around and uncover more heads. Found a few arrow heads and what we think is a flint skinning knife. Fits in the palm of your hand and has been worked on one side only. I also walked up on a full grinding stone with the rock right next to it. Way cool! I brushed back the sand with my hands and when I picked it up, it just crumbled to pieces. Wasn't meant to be but I did keep the grinding stone.

This was by far the weirdest thing i ever found. Still kind of makes the hair on the back of neck stand up.

About 25 yrs ago, I was out hunting with a buddy of mine at my grandmothers farm near Lockney. We were about 10 or so and my dad would let me take the pickup hunting. Back then, you could pretty much hunt any where you wanted. If someone came up, you just mentioned your name and everything was good because they knew your family. Anyway, we found an old house somewhere between there any Quitique. I had seen numerous old houses with these concrete water tanks next to them. All of them I had seen before, the walls were broken and had fallen down. All but this one. It was different than all of the others I have seen before. The walls were about 5" tall and still standing. We pulled ourselves up and saw the weirdest thing. There were thousands and thousands of bones. The bottom was completely white with bones. This tank was dugout from the inside so it was about 7ft down to the bottom. Numerous animals had fallen in and not able to get back out OR someone was throwing carcases in there. No telling how many years this had been going on. There were a few complete skeletons but mostly scattered bones. I could identify some by the skulls. Mostly rats and coons, However, there were a couple of yotes or strays. My guess is they hurt themselves falling or could not get a running start for a jump because of the amount of bones in the bottom.

Another time, we found a water well next to a house near Paducah. Threw a rock in and it was a good 7 seconds before it hit water. I guess at least 100 ft or so. Always thought, be a good spot to get rid of "something".

Keep em coming!!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: TX Hitman] #4178795 04/10/13 03:19 AM
S
smh264 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Rock falls at 32 fps per second so it would have to be well over 250 feet deep for a 7 second drop.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: smh264] #4178951 04/10/13 04:21 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: smh264
Rock falls at 32 fps per second so it would have to be well over 250 feet deep for a 7 second drop.

It is late and I have had a couple... but isn't that in a vacuum? not doubting your calculations, just asking.

LETS GO BRANDON
Page 20 of 44 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide