Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
What would YOU do? #3987184 01/24/13 05:18 AM
A
AO2000 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
You own 300 acres. You work hard throughout the year and invest what you can to try and better the deer herd that occupies your land and the land around yours. You have leasers all around you and know that they take deer each year that probably shouldn't be taken. Now their not shooting every deer, does and smaller spikes, but anything that looks like a "shooter" (2 1/2 small basket six, maybe eight pointer) for the area is more than likely a target buck that is going to get shot.

Feeding protein is an option, and buying the good stuff is something to consider, but you wouldn't feel comfortable feeding it all year long and having someone else reap the benefits. Genetics on the land have decreased over the past decade (for the previous reason mentioned) and over all buck quality falls into that category.

We do as much as we can with what we have. Corn is fed year around and water is spread throughout the property. We've fed protein in the past, but with free ranging animals and not a consistent tracking method, we see a lot of bucks once and then never again. Cameras are placed up and we have the same deer ( does and small spikes) coming to the same locations, but nothing more and it varies year after year. I'm at a point where I just want to throw up a game fence and move forward with what I love. I've also thought about leaving to a lease where game management is mandatory because it takes a lot of skill, composure and heart to truly pass up on a deer an ordinary hunter wouldn't. I just don't want to leave the place I love and have hunted on all my life, like I gave up on it.. Money spent on leasing could be better spent here.

What would your options be? What are some things that you guys would consider that I haven't touched. Advice is very much appreciated.

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: AO2000] #3987209 01/24/13 05:32 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'd not add to the problem of shooting out the area and keep rolling the dice.

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: rifleman] #3987237 01/24/13 05:51 AM
A
AO2000 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
Originally Posted By: rifleman

A deer hasn't been taken off the land in 3 years. Buck in 5..

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: AO2000] #3987277 01/24/13 06:21 AM
B
BBD84 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
You want my honest opinion, yes I would toss up a HF and start a small breeding heard of Whitetail and just get the enjoyment out of it seeing what you have helped come to life and grow to be what it becomes at 5 years old etc. Or even toss in some exotics and have something new and cool to watch feed and see from time to time but thats just me. I get just as much enjoyment going to our HF place and seeing the animals grow and getting pics from when the drop there horns till the rub out as I do hunting them at times.

Texas Elite Outfitters.
281-924-9720
Re: What would YOU do? [Re: BBD84] #3987316 01/24/13 08:32 AM
S
savoyspecial1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I would put up the high fence too. Your neighbors are leaving no choice and they are probably not putting in a quarter of the time and money you are to kill all the deer. Good luck

Charles Flores
210-422-1853
Lucky JAC Outfitters
Re: What would YOU do? [Re: savoyspecial1] #3987426 01/24/13 12:26 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
have u tried talking to the neighbors and seeing if they will get on board with a management program?

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: What would YOU do? [Re: jshouse] #3987433 01/24/13 12:34 PM
H
huntnguide83 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
As BBD84 stated I'd throw up a fence. To me it sounds like regardless of what you do in talking to your neighbors they will do what they want. Throw up a fence and start small. Buy a few young breeder bucks and some does. then start with a few exotics when money allows. During years when you don't have the opportunity to take a whitetail you will have exotics there to take for meat. Growing your own trophy animals from your own blood sweat and tears is truly a magical feeling. If you do put up a fence you will be casted out of the "true hunter" club on here and more than likely be put on the "witch hunt" list though smile

HF for the win!

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: jshouse] #3987446 01/24/13 12:37 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: jshouse
have u tried talking to the neighbors and seeing if they will get on board with a management program?

+1. Inviting your neighbors over some evening for steaks and brain-storming would be a lot cheaper than building a high fence. You may find that everyone would be on board for hiring a biologist to put together a management plan for your co-op.

If your neighbors decide that they're not interested in a co-operative program, you can always fall back on the HF solution.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: What would YOU do? [Re: huntnguide83] #3987463 01/24/13 12:46 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: huntnguide83
As BBD84 stated I'd throw up a fence. To me it sounds like regardless of what you do in talking to your neighbors they will do what they want.

why does it sounds like that to you, as far as we know he has never met them. they may feel like you are acting the same way you think they are acting, get with them and share ideas and you mightbe able to work it all out.

Last edited by jshouse; 01/24/13 12:50 PM.

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: What would YOU do? [Re: dawaba] #3987465 01/24/13 12:48 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: dawaba

+1. Inviting your neighbors over some evening for steaks and brain-storming would be a lot cheaper than building a high fence. You may find that everyone would be on board for hiring a biologist to put together a management plan for your co-op.

If your neighbors decide that they're not interested in a co-operative program, you can always fall back on the HF solution.

the county wildlife biologist will meet with you and look at your land with you for free, just call them and they can get you some forms to fill out.

Last edited by jshouse; 01/24/13 12:48 PM.

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: jshouse] #3987530 01/24/13 01:23 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
High Fence

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What would YOU do? [Re: dawaba] #3987584 01/24/13 01:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: dawaba

^^^^^ This. If they do not want to continue with a coop then you are going to have to make some decisions. Sell the land or invest in a the dreaded HF.
What county are you in? Sounds like it is not an AR county.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What would YOU do? [Re: AO2000] #3987590 01/24/13 01:42 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: AO2000

Very interesting with no harvest. Some plans that work for others don't work for everyone it seems.....

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: stxranchman] #3987602 01/24/13 01:47 PM
P
Pittstate Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
With 300 acres and everything on it that the deer will need, you should be able to hold a small herd on it. If you didn't hunt it all the time (pressure) the deer should start to grow again. You could take the money that you would have spent on a high fence and buy another property. Then, you could hunt each one every other year.

Btw, if you haven't harvested a deer in 3 years and buck in 5, I'm inclined to think the property doesn't have everything the deer NEED.

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: Pittstate] #3987627 01/24/13 01:55 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
IMO, high fence on 300 acres may not be the best way to go...Personally, I would want at least a section, 640 acres to even consider throwing up a high fence..Just my opinion..

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: DQ Kid] #3987888 01/24/13 03:07 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
HF the sides that you are concerned with and leave the least problematic side open if possible.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: What would YOU do? [Re: Pittstate] #3987927 01/24/13 03:18 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
With 300 acres and everything on it that the deer will need, you should be able to hold a small herd on it. If you didn't hunt it all the time (pressure) the deer should start to grow again. You could take the money that you would have spent on a high fence and buy another property. Then, you could hunt each one every other year.

Btw, if you haven't harvested a deer in 3 years and buck in 5, I'm inclined to think the property doesn't have everything the deer NEED.

or take the money u save from the HF and invest in food plots and habitat enhancement, make a large sanctuary that you NEVER enter, as large as possible and hunt the edges. give the deer what they need so they dont have to leave and pressure them as little as possible.

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: jshouse] #3987990 01/24/13 03:38 PM
R
rick13 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I agree with jshouse and trying to talk with the neighbors about a co-op.

Life is a drawing without an eraser!
Re: What would YOU do? [Re: stxranchman] #3988005 01/24/13 03:43 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Very interesting with no harvest. Some plans that work for others don't work for everyone it seems.....

Works for everyone, some deer always have a way of slipping through the cracks. How old was no show again?

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: rifleman] #3988037 01/24/13 03:53 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Works for everyone, some deer always have a way of slipping through the cracks. How old was no show again?

ARs in place to keep No Show alive to an older age. With a county wide Coop in place since 1993. No history of him in the past to know if he was legal buck ever in the past either or ever been seen here till this year. There is also a lot less hunting pressure around me than the OP. A lot less which is a huge differnce with none to my west(800+ acres of semi-open cattle pasture) and very little if any to my south(450 acres with 1900 acres joining). OP does not seem to be in an area with ARs in place either. You can never say everyone till you see his place or see others that have the same problems. Today more folks are management minded than ever before and more mature exist than ever before but there are still pockets that exist like the one in the OP. We do not know what size his neighbors are and how many ranches join his either. We only know what he has given us so far.

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: stxranchman] #3988081 01/24/13 04:04 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
The whole problem with the "talk to your neighbors" approach is that even if what you say sounds good to them, if they're leasing, the timeframe for results is short. Nobody wants to pay a couple thousand bucks and not shoot anything.

So while they may agree with you and promise to try better management practices, I wouldn't count on more than a year of them not shooting. Better hope that herd shows improvement quickly.

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: cameron00] #3988098 01/24/13 04:08 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
they dont have to stop shooting everything, just be more selective about what they shoot. and if one group leaves after one year, talk to the new group. i am not saying this will work, its just an option before dropping thousands on a fence.

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: jshouse] #3988119 01/24/13 04:14 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I agree it's a good place to start, and I'd definitely try that before throwing up a HF.

Just wouldn't be surprised if the issue persists, even if everybody agrees to manage better.

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: cameron00] #3988127 01/24/13 04:16 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
We are actually in a very similar situation to you, except it's 380 acres, not 300. We are part of the local WMA, but several of the neighbors aren't. hammer

I agree with above. Step 1 is to talk to your neighbors and see if you can agree with a management plan. If you can get folks on board, forming a WMA thru TPWD is a great idea as it keeps everyone accountable (via jawbones and harvest records) and includes multiple surveys done by your local biologists.

The whole problem with the "talk to your neighbors" approach is that even if what you say sounds good to them, if they're leasing, the timeframe for results is short. Nobody wants to pay a couple thousand bucks and not shoot anything.

So while they may agree with you and promise to try better management practices, I wouldn't count on more than a year of them not shooting. Better hope that herd shows improvement quickly.

I don't fully agree with you here. I know many less-ees who are willing to get into it for the long term if the owner is on board. Many folks realize that it takes more than a year to turn a place around. However, there are also the type who are like what you describe, and just want to pull the trigger. In that case, time to evaluate your other options.

Re: What would YOU do? [Re: jshouse] #3988136 01/24/13 04:17 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
they dont have to stop shooting everything, just be more selective about what they shoot. and if one group leaves after one year, talk to the new group. i am not saying this will work, its just an option before dropping thousands on a fence.

We just do not have enough details to say if it will work or not. To much left to WAG on our part. I am for trying all other options before the fence.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide