Re: Why [Re: passthru] #3943397 01/12/13 04:50 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: passthru
With a 26.5" draw and two repaired shoulders I'm never going to get an advertized IBO out of any bow. The quietness, smoothness, vibration and shock freedom and quality of a bow however lead me to believe that the higher end bows have more to offer than just a little extra speed. Not saying less expensive bows don't kill as well but I drank Black Label when I was young because it was inexpensive. It didn't get me any less drunk than what the beer I drink now would but my current beer is much better tasting for the extra cost.

I shoot a 26.5" draw as well.

I like a faster bow because it makes up for the short draw length.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Why [Re: txtrophy85] #3943517 01/12/13 06:33 AM
O
OUTDOORSMAN81 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I shoot a modern high speed fast bows with really heavy arrows that fly slow. Depending on the setup I shoot anywhere from 260 fps all the way down to 200 fps. So where do I fit in?

"Don’t design a broadhead for when everything goes right,
design a broadhead for when everything goes wrong."
Dr. Ashby
Re: Why [Re: OUTDOORSMAN81] #3944730 01/12/13 08:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: OUTDOORSMAN81
I shoot a modern high speed fast bows with really heavy arrows that fly slow. Depending on the setup I shoot anywhere from 260 fps all the way down to 200 fps. So where do I fit in?

A really quiet bow... smile

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Why [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3944744 01/12/13 08:49 PM
D
DFWPI Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: OUTDOORSMAN81

A really quiet bow... smile

smile

Re: Why [Re: killemall] #3944749 01/12/13 08:49 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: killemall
Originally Posted By: KewlDeals
Stories of Joe and mo don't equal facts, what is the down side, I assume you don't know one, nobody should over spend, I am not saying that. You don't have to now. You also don't have to sacrifice forgiveness or quiet. Bows are just better now.

By the way, been meaning to ask what you shoot? Here is my set-up:

Mathews z7 eXtreme Tactical, with all tactical accessories
Tru-Glo Rover
QAD
28" DL Pulling about 63 pounds
125 Magnus traditional head (the older ones)
Usually shoot the Carbon Express Aramid KV 350's with 5" feathers, but also have some Pile Drivers that I got SUPER CHEAP that I fling at pigs, squirrels or anything else for that matter, also with 5" feathers.
I do have some Aramids and Blue Streaks that are fletched with Blazers.

As for Joe and Mo, don't see how their not equal facts, basically both like women but have different taste in their women.

pse xforce axe 6
nap quick tune
tru glo extreme tool less
29 draw 62 lbs
GT xt hunter for the most part
rage 100 grain 2 blade and good old school muzzy 100 3 blades

Bowtech insanity or elite GTO depending where I'm hunting

Blue streaks or bloodsport
QAD hdx( bow tech) limb driver pro(GTO)
True glo extreme tool less also .10 pins
Tight spot quiver.
Broad heads
rage extreme and titanium(whitetails)
"Solid" broads (elk)
Vpa non vented hogs and small game.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Why [Re: DFWPI] #3947249 01/13/13 05:31 PM
K
killemall Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: KewlDeals
Kewl deal, I am 41 and have nothing to prove, I buy a fast bow because I can, I like it, and you have yet to make an valid argument against today's bows that are fast, pretty forgiving, and quiet. You can stick your comment about something to prove.

Interesting. No need to get nasty, or is there? I just don't want NEW hunters to fall under the assumption that they need to find the fastest bow out there and not learn the basics of bowhunting. I've seen way to much of that in my 53 years, and from working at a pro shop on and off over the years to feed my addiction. Since the early 90's, I've probably spent WAY to much money, always trying to upgrade to the fastest and best bow, but after spending probably somewhere in the neighborhood of over $30,000 dollars on stuff of this nature, I soon learned that I wasn't really gaining anything because I would never achieve IBO or gain much more speed than what I would ever get.

For an EXPERIENCED person such as yourself, then by all means, you should get as much as you can for speed, but let's not lead a newbie down the wrong path.

Good day to you....

After marinating on this for a day or so I want make sure the newbies You refer to understand the argument for speed. First off IBO is not speed for the sake of speed. What it is is a measure of how effectively or efficiently a bow transfers energy to an arrow at said pound setting. I argue that all things equal a bow that shoots 20 fps faster at the same poundage is more efficient. What does that do for the shooter, additional speed does allow for a flatter trajectory. It has other benefits as well. You may not care to shoot a 350-400 grain arrow. Thats fine to. That same speed allows for the 500-600 grain arrow to be delivered as well. slower but still faster than from a less efficient bow. Momentum and KE however you feel about them are both aided. Now a new shooter, a smaller weaker person is able to take the same bow, back down the poundage and still recieve benefits from the more efficient bow. They can shoot at 58-60 and still have ample speed to get the job done. Guys reference using 80# bows back in the day for certain types of animals, that is no longer needed. The increased efficiency allows a 70 # bow to be used and not even maxed out. If I was going to alaska today, I am not buying an 80# monster of the past, I am cranking my current rig to 70 upgrading the grains or arrows and broadhead to be species appropriate, sighting in and getting on plane. An older person can still shoot and kill animals until late in life. Just like in golf there are 70 year old men hitting the ball of the tee as far as they did when they were 35 and still enjoying the game just as much due to the advance in driver technology. Before you "newbies" get lead down the wrong path just be sure you get the entire picture. I know indians did it different, I never really wanted to be an indian to be quite honest with you. As to basics of bowhunting and shooting, I did not know they were different for a fast, more efficient bow and a slow less efficient bow. As I never worked in a shop and therefore lack knowledge please clue me in as to the difference in "basics" between them.

Re: Why [Re: killemall] #3947419 01/13/13 06:14 PM
J
joedav31 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
The only reason I shoot a bow with a higher iBo is because I want the most margin for error on the rare 30-40 yard shots. To each his own but I like a little extra speed when the occasional opportunity arises

Re: Why [Re: txtrophy85] #3950706 01/14/13 04:01 PM
S
Spondoly Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
I found this on another site. There are many other comments which basically say the same thing. Quote, "I used to have my bows set for 65 pounds. Then, I met one of the greatest bow hunters ever in Alaska. He took every big game animal up here, and his bow was set at 50 pounds. After being around him for a while, I backed mine off to 50 pounds and have has complete shoot-throughs on blacktails, black bears, caribou, Dalls sheep and 2 big moose.
There is absolutely no need for more if you keep your blades razor sharp. Keep in practice. Holding a 50 pound at full draw is easy compared to holding a 65 and heavier bow at full draw."
This is another opinion that I found.......The Alaskan Moose is one BIG animal. A trophy moose can go eighteen hundred pounds and stand nine feet at the shoulder. Heavy bows and heavy arrows are a must! For my hunt I used my homemade Black Walnut Lonbow which pulled sixty-five pounds at my draw length of twenty six inches. Heavy arrows are key to good penetration and are much more critical than speed for an animal as big as a moose. For my arrows I used a special hardwood arrow material called RAMINWOOD which, along with my Zwickey Delta broadheads, produced a finished arrow of eight hundred grains. Though my sixty-five pound longbow sent those arrows a sizzling one hundred-fifteen feet per second through a chronograph, the arrow penetrated completely through the Moose!

Arrow and bow weights are not nearly as critical as shot placement however, and nothing other than a quartering away, or broadside shot is recommended. My bull stood in front of me at twenty yards with a very slight quartering-to angle. Although I felt confident that I could slip the arrow into the right spot, there was too much chance of a wound. The moose ended up walking past me at eight yards, giving me a perfect quartering-away shot. I recovered the bull in less than one hundred yards with a single clean shot.

Last edited by Spondoly; 01/14/13 05:09 PM. Reason: added info
Re: Why [Re: Spondoly] #3951119 01/14/13 05:42 PM
G
goosecrazy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
I have a question. What would you want to shoot if you traveled to say, WY on an antilope hunt?
I think, if you only hunt in Texas, comfort should be your primary goal but, if I'm going to go somewhere that may require a longer shot, then speed is going to be at the top of my list, less margin of error.
I'm not a speed freak but, if I can reduce the margin of error I'm going to do as much as my wallet will let me.

Re: Why [Re: Spondoly] #3953884 01/15/13 04:48 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Spondoly
There is absolutely no need for more if you keep your blades razor sharp. Keep in practice. Holding a 50 pound at full draw is easy compared to holding a 65 and heavier bow at full draw."

pulling a 65 lb bow isn't hard. with todays let offs, its like holding nothing.

My buddy bought a 60# helium and he went back to a 70# bowtech because he missed the extra speed.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Why [Re: Spondoly] #3953969 01/15/13 05:27 AM
O
OUTDOORSMAN81 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: Spondoly
I found this on another site. There are many other comments which basically say the same thing. Quote, "I used to have my bows set for 65 pounds. Then, I met one of the greatest bow hunters ever in Alaska. He took every big game animal up here, and his bow was set at 50 pounds. After being around him for a while, I backed mine off to 50 pounds and have has complete shoot-throughs on blacktails, black bears, caribou, Dalls sheep and 2 big moose.
This is another opinion that I found.......The Alaskan Moose is one BIG animal. A trophy moose can go eighteen hundred pounds and stand nine feet at the shoulder. Heavy bows and heavy arrows are a must! For my hunt I used my homemade Black Walnut Lonbow which pulled sixty-five pounds at my draw length of twenty six inches. Heavy arrows are key to good penetration and are much more critical than speed for an animal as big as a moose. For my arrows I used a special hardwood arrow material called RAMINWOOD which, along with my Zwickey Delta broadheads, produced a finished arrow of eight hundred grains. Though my sixty-five pound longbow sent those arrows a sizzling one hundred-fifteen feet per second through a chronograph, the arrow penetrated completely through the Moose!

Arrow and bow weights are not nearly as critical as shot placement however, and nothing other than a quartering away, or broadside shot is recommended. My bull stood in front of me at twenty yards with a very slight quartering-to angle. Although I felt confident that I could slip the arrow into the right spot, there was too much chance of a wound. The moose ended up walking past me at eight yards, giving me a perfect quartering-away shot. I recovered the bull in less than one hundred yards with a single clean shot.

Prety crazy when you think about it. My wifes compound is set at 37lbs and her normal arrow is about 704 gr and flies at 144 FPS. As a test she shot some of my safari arrows that weigh 950 gr. They fly at 124 FPS from her bow. with the 950gr her KE is about 32 but her momentum is above 50. Yet a lot of people say that she does not have enough KE to hunt with and wont be able to kill an animal let alone a tough wild boar.

It all comes down to total overall design of arrow and broadhead.

"Don’t design a broadhead for when everything goes right,
design a broadhead for when everything goes wrong."
Dr. Ashby
Re: Why [Re: goosecrazy] #3954712 01/15/13 03:04 PM
D
DFWPI Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: goosecrazy
I have a question. What would you want to shoot if you traveled to say, WY on an antilope hunt?
I think, if you only hunt in Texas, comfort should be your primary goal but, if I'm going to go somewhere that may require a longer shot, then speed is going to be at the top of my list, less margin of error.
I'm not a speed freak but, if I can reduce the margin of error I'm going to do as much as my wallet will let me.

I would shoot my Mathews

Re: Why [Re: goosecrazy] #3954860 01/15/13 03:39 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: goosecrazy

Speed goats are tbe thinnest skin big game aninals in north america.

It doesn't take much to put them down.....not to mention its not like they hide under a tree.

What ever your the most accurate with. Speed goats are obe of the few animals i would push the 50-60yard mark

Re: Why [Re: cmc] #3961736 01/17/13 02:25 AM
W
WhataBuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
The faster the bow and the further away from the target does allow for a larger margin for error... That said, I am maxed out on my 70# limbs and am very accurate to 30 yards. I have no checked my speed but surely over 300 per what I have researched on my bow.

Neat poll!

AKA: WhataBass (TFF)
Karnes County, TX Bow Hunter
08.5 Elite Z28, QAD Drop Away, Toxonics Sights, GT XT Hunter 7597/100gr Slick Tricks
Re: Why [Re: txtrophy85] #3965722 01/18/13 02:41 AM
G
GettinCreedy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
If you feel comfortable drawing a bow over 70lb and can afford modern technologies, then why not shoot a $1000 bow. Does this mean you cant kill deer with 50lb no it just means you can afford and handle a harder shooting bow.

Re: Why [Re: WhataBuck] #3966789 01/18/13 02:43 PM
D
DFWPI Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: WhataBuck
The faster the bow and the further away from the target does allow for a larger margin for error... That said, I am maxed out on my 70# limbs and am very accurate to 30 yards. I have no checked my speed but surely over 300 per what I have researched on my bow.

Neat poll!

Draw Length?

Re: Why [Re: DFWPI] #3966909 01/18/13 03:14 PM
W
WhataBuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
28", Arrows the same. .340 spine/100gr BH

08.5 Elite Z28, QAD Drop Away, Toxonics Sights, GT XT Hunter 7597/100gr Slick Tricks
Re: Why [Re: WhataBuck] #3966950 01/18/13 03:22 PM
D
DFWPI Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: WhataBuck
28", Arrows the same. .340 spine/100gr BH

I would be interested in knowing the fps on that set-up if you get a chance to get it done.

Re: Why [Re: DFWPI] #3966975 01/18/13 03:27 PM
W
WhataBuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Yea I am curious too... I know it's quick and quiet! When just getting into it, I cranked the limbs closer to 60# and it was still fairly quick at that... If I get to a bow shop for anything I will test it and let ya know...

Re: Why [Re: GettinCreedy] #3967093 01/18/13 04:04 PM
C
crankn101 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
My bow IBOs at 350FPS plus. But I shoot Easton Axis-N-fused arrows with 75 grain inserts for a total arrow weight of 493 grains with good front of center. I can tell you a 493 grain arrow going 285 FPS is deadly and quiet.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide