Print Thread
Rock Guard? #3799894 11/29/12 07:15 PM
D
DMOB52 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
How many run one on their mud motor. I run a 35 HP longtail go-devil and I have been tearing the crap out of my prop on some rocks. Do you loose any HP or speed. Also is it tough to install?

"Cut Em"
Re: Rock Guard? [Re: DMOB52] #3800795 11/29/12 11:48 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I know it is not tough to install as it just bolts on. Speed and HP loss I do not know. Are you hunting rivers or something? I have 15 years on a mud motor tiller and can't say I have hit many rocks. Grinding oysters, well that is another ball of wax but not rocks.

Re: Rock Guard? [Re: wal1809] #3801031 11/30/12 12:49 AM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I feel your pain, I beat the hell out of mine on rocks...i've though about a rock guard before but it would probably just be something I would make before ordering one. Doubt it would be much hp loss if any.

Re: Rock Guard? [Re: Featherduster] #3801126 11/30/12 01:14 AM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Ain't gonna do ya much good on a longtail. Main reason being that the skegs on a longtail are too thin and all you will do is twist the skeg up on the first big impact. Shorttail motors have thicker skegs the rock guards bolt to to handle the impacts and they resist skeg bending much better. Performance loss is minimal and really helps in the rocks/gravel I sometimes run. The one MB sells is 17-4 stainless steel and is 1/4" thick. You ain't gonna hurt it no matter what you throw at it.

R & B Outdoors
Mud Buddy motors/accessories
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Rock Guard? [Re: Homey da Clown] #3801331 11/30/12 02:09 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Where have you been Homey? Killin birds?

Re: Rock Guard? [Re: wal1809] #3802143 11/30/12 12:54 PM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Originally Posted By: WAL1809
Where have you been Homey? Killin birds?

Yawmp...you could say we been shooting a few wink

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Rock Guard? [Re: Homey da Clown] #3802189 11/30/12 01:22 PM
N
NTXDuckHunts Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown
Ain't gonna do ya much good on a longtail. Main reason being that the skegs on a longtail are too thin and all you will do is twist the skeg up on the first big impact. Shorttail motors have thicker skegs the rock guards bolt to to handle the impacts and they resist skeg bending much better. Performance loss is minimal and really helps in the rocks/gravel I sometimes run. The one MB sells is 17-4 stainless steel and is 1/4" thick. You ain't gonna hurt it no matter what you throw at it.

I’ve used a gdlt since 83 and and the only thing I have been able to break on it was the wimpy skegs and do not get their (GD) rock guard it just breaks and is a weed collector that needs to be cleaned every 20’ in heavy veg..I just always cut my fin off and have a new heftier one welded on..Do you think that guard concept would work on a LT??

North Texas Dog Trainers/North Texas Duck Hunts
Re: Rock Guard? [Re: NTXDuckHunts] #3802243 11/30/12 01:41 PM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Unless your skeg is 1/4" thick, it will twist/bend when struck. And a RG will only make things worse. LT's are subsurface motors with already too much metal under the surface to try and navigate thru thick weeds as well. Adding a RG will only exacerbate the situation. RG's work best with surface drives, and only surface drives

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Rock Guard? [Re: Homey da Clown] #3802465 11/30/12 02:48 PM
C
Cody Ja Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Homey, Does that 1/4" stainless plate have a bend in it to follow the skeg's bend at the end, or is it just straight?

Re: Rock Guard? [Re: Homey da Clown] #3802540 11/30/12 03:07 PM
N
NTXDuckHunts Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Unless your skeg is 1/4" thick, it will twist/bend when struck. And a RG will only make things worse. LT's are subsurface motors with already too much metal under the surface to try and navigate thru thick weeds as well. Adding a RG will only exacerbate the situation. RG's work best with surface drives, and only surface drives

A LT Doesn’t work or nav well in heavy veg????…I’ll have to remember that…Hmmm...
Everything can be broken and everything has limitations even the mighty Mud Buddy lol

Re: Rock Guard? [Re: NTXDuckHunts] #3802933 11/30/12 05:07 PM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Originally Posted By: NTXDuckHunts

A LT Doesn’t work or nav well in heavy veg????…I’ll have to remember that…Hmmm...
Everything can be broken and everything has limitations even the mighty Mud Buddy lol

Nice way to twist my words rolleyes

I, like many others, ran longtails for years before the shortys came out. So yeah, I know what I speak. Longtails do fine in veggies once up and moving straight. Trying to turn in thick smartweed, Johnson grass or hydrilla is another story. It's like doing a ball room dance in the back of the boat with your left arm getting ripped off from time to time. With a subsurface cav plate already grabbing grass/vegetation, the addition of a rock guard is only on a make it worse to turn thru thick veggies. The subject here was rock guards, scooter. But if you want to measure peters on who knows more about mm's and what they will/won't do I'll be happy to oblige you.

FTR, ain't nothing wrong with a longtail mm. They are just more limiting than a shorty in most situations. But excel when a longer outdrive is needed to reach down and get a bite at times. But back to the original question, a rock guard on a longtail skeg is about as useful as teets on a boar hog.

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Rock Guard? [Re: Cody Ja] #3802962 11/30/12 05:18 PM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Originally Posted By: Cody Ja
Homey, Does that 1/4" stainless plate have a bend in it to follow the skeg's bend at the end, or is it just straight?

It is straight and does not counter the factory bends purpose of offsetting surface drive tiller torque. You'll never know it is even on there when running open water. The only difference in performance is that when running across a skinny (4-5") hard sand flat or rocky riffle that it will be dragging across it and you will feel it. But that is just the guard doing its job of protecting the prop. Speedwise there is no change in open water and maybe a mph loss when dragging the guard across sand.

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Rock Guard? [Re: Homey da Clown] #3808585 12/02/12 10:23 PM
D
DMOB52 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Wal- yes the river we run is nothing but rock and does some major damage.

Homey- thanks for the input. The rock guard on go-devil is only forty bucks so I might still try it and if I dont see a change or it being a disadvantage I will take it off.

"Cut Em"
Re: Rock Guard? [Re: Homey da Clown] #3812421 12/04/12 12:38 AM
N
NTXDuckHunts Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted By: NTXDuckHunts

Nice way to twist my words rolleyes

I, like many others, ran longtails for years before the shortys came out. So yeah, I know what I speak. Longtails do fine in veggies once up and moving straight. Trying to turn in thick smartweed, Johnson grass or hydrilla is another story. It's like doing a ball room dance in the back of the boat with your left arm getting ripped off from time to time. With a subsurface cav plate already grabbing grass/vegetation, the addition of a rock guard is only on a make it worse to turn thru thick veggies. The subject here was rock guards, scooter. But if you want to measure peters on who knows more about mm's and what they will/won't do I'll be happy to oblige you.

FTR, ain't nothing wrong with a longtail mm. They are just more limiting than a shorty in most situations. But excel when a longer outdrive is needed to reach down and get a bite at times. But back to the original question, a rock guard on a longtail skeg is about as useful as teets on a boar hog.

No that’s ok I’ll let you measure all the peters,toms,dicks and harries…Not my thing but have at it...JK I'm just board with nothing to do...Have a great week and good luck this Sat..
http://youtu.be/Fi6AzLiQIYU
http://youtu.be/ue54DwunRvY

Last edited by NTXDuckHunts; 12/04/12 12:45 AM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide