Forums46
Topics538,736
Posts9,740,618
Members87,107
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: Bowtech1233] #3671795 10/18/12 05:48 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Bowtech1233
Someone used to have a sig line that went something like this:

"If you shoot a buck just so your neighbor doesn't get him, then you are THAT neighbor."

Yep. See signature smile

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: Tye] #3671988 10/18/12 06:54 PM
W
wacorusty Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Yeah, high fence them in and take them away from everybody! Then shoot them all and buy some real deer you can sell. Darned rich guys. bolt

"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero
Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: wacorusty] #3672037 10/18/12 07:05 PM
L
Layemdown1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
If I put my wife in a high fence will it make her rack grow bigger? I agree, dang rich guys!

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: wacorusty] #3672064 10/18/12 07:12 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
A few years back we hunted a place that had a 30 acre tract that butted up against our fenceline and was hunted by a couple of hunters. I'd spoke to them several times and just casual converstation to find out what they were shooting. I told them I was more into shooting mature bucks and letting the younger ones walk and he said they did the same and only shot culls. I let it go at that and didn't push the issue.
Later that season I saw a nice buck with about an 18" spread and long tines but he had the G2 and G3 broken off next to the main beam so I let him walk a couple of times and the last time I saw him he was headed toward the neighbor......BAM!...I guess that was what they considered a cull!
Moral of the story is don't plan on the neighbor shooting what they tell you they shoot, and just enjoy the deer you have.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: Jimbo] #3672087 10/18/12 07:19 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
It's just frustrating for our little place. Its our 150 acres, the neighbor to west 100 acres, the neighbor to south' probably 300 acres and they either dont hunt or at least hunt responsible. We've know these families for over 40 years.

Then, there's the new guys place small place to the north. I think it's less than 50 acres and they blast away. I'm honestly glad to Antler Restrictions in my area because of them.

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: GusWayne] #3672094 10/18/12 07:22 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: procraft05
It's just frustrating for our little place. Its our 150 acres, the neighbor to west 100 acres, the neighbor to south' probably 300 acres and they either dont hunt or at least hunt responsible. We've know these families for over 40 years.

Then, there's the new guys place small place to the north. I think it's less than 50 acres and they blast away. I'm honestly glad to Antler Restrictions in my area because of them.

Not to hijack the thread and go into AR's but that small properties and for the reasons you mentioned is why AR's were put in place. I've been there, and they do make a difference.

Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: Jimbo] #3672099 10/18/12 07:23 PM
D
Deer Hound Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Here in NC it is legal to hunt with hounds (I do not) I try manage about 1500 ac. Get everything going in the right direction and then have a club come drop a pack 20-50 hounds on the property line and run all your hard work across the line so they can shoot it makes for bad blood real quick. In NC it is illegal to HF so that is not an option.

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: Bowtech1233] #3672143 10/18/12 07:39 PM
HuntingTexas Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bowtech1233
Someone used to have a sig line that went something like this:

"If you shoot a buck just so your neighbor doesn't get him, then you are THAT neighbor."

damn straight

" In God We Trust "

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: Bowtech1233] #3672174 10/18/12 07:49 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
They are the states deer, not yours mad

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: Bowtech1233] #3672181 10/18/12 07:52 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
dnt worry im only bringing half of my coona$$ family to hunt...we wnt shoot much

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: bossbowman] #3672241 10/18/12 08:20 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I have a pesky neighbor. This one is real touchy. He has 20 acres in the middle of thousands of acres of well managed land. I'm to the south my buddy is to the west and there is a huge ranch to the east. North of him are chicken houses. He and his buddies only come out in deer season. If it has fur it's in trouble. One of the guys called them in last year because they had a doe out of the 4 day doe season we have. The next thing is going to be funny. We've gotten together and talked about high fencing just the sides that meet his property. This guy will have a 20 acre high fenced place for free. I'm hoping when we tell him about it he straightens up a bit.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: bossbowman] #3672243 10/18/12 08:20 PM
W
wacorusty Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: bossbowman

If that is truly the case then how is it legal that one person can install a "game-deterrent fence" and prohibit free movement for the animal or access to the state property by tax payers. mad mad

"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero
Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: 8pointdrop] #3672435 10/18/12 09:22 PM
B
buck-snort Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Happens to everybody I'm sure. We let a nice 3 yo 10 walk last year. I saw him 2 days after regular season was over and thought if he gets good food and don't get poached he's good. Nieghbors daughter got him during late youth season, not a lot could be done other than congratulate the youth huntress.

I agree with this. A deer that I let walk may be a trophy / good first buck to others. You can't fault anyone for shooting something they consider to be a shooter. I also don't worry about where the deer is coming from. Both spots I hunt are close to other owners fence lines. If I see a buck come in from someone else's property I'm proabbly not going to worry about if they want me to shoot it or not. Also consider some people only get to make 1 hunting trip per year. I know a couple of guys who do this. And yes they limit out in 2-3 days. I don't fault them for wanting to feel up their freezers.

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: hook_n_line] #3672496 10/18/12 09:43 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
I have a pesky neighbor. This one is real touchy. He has 20 acres in the middle of thousands of acres of well managed land. I'm to the south my buddy is to the west and there is a huge ranch to the east. North of him are chicken houses. He and his buddies only come out in deer season. If it has fur it's in trouble. One of the guys called them in last year because they had a doe out of the 4 day doe season we have. The next thing is going to be funny. We've gotten together and talked about high fencing just the sides that meet his property. This guy will have a 20 acre high fenced place for free. I'm hoping when we tell him about it he straightens up a bit.

Offer to buy him out or just threaten him with a high fence, but first start putting up tall corner post and a post every so often and a lot of surveyors tape. Also remind him that selling a 20 acre pen is going to be hard to sell, and make him a reasonable offer.
This will work!
Personally I wouldn't do this, but the rancher whose property I hunted did it to some guys with 20 acres and almost the same scenerio.

Last edited by Jimbo; 10/18/12 09:51 PM.

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: buck-snort] #3672504 10/18/12 09:46 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Pony up the cash for the other 200 acres. Make your lease an 800 acre lease.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: buck-snort] #3672518 10/18/12 09:49 PM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R

TO the OP, how would you feel about letting this stud double drop tine walk across the fence and get shot by a neighbor that had not watched him grow up for years. This is what happened last year to me. The buck wondered across the fence and my neighbor shot him the last Saturday evening of the season. He had never seen or gotten pics of the buck. You know what I did, I praised him and told him I was glad he got him. I win some and I lose some but that is why I enjoy hunting low fence so much. My point is, dont focus on what you may or may not lose out on. Focus on those surprises that come your way. Good luck this season and please dont let the management aspect take the fun away from you. Ive been down that road and doubled back. Im back to enjoying everything about the hunting trip and if a good one happens to fall my way that is just icing on the cake. cheers

Let'em grow old
Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: Layemdown1983] #3672543 10/18/12 09:55 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Kinda but in reverse... we're not "management" hunters on our place so if any of the neighbors "management" deer come over the fence tough poop!

They are not "your deer" and you can talk to the GW or LO or whoever you want and they'll tell you the same thing.

IF you want to talk to someone about it try talking to them... maybe you can work something out.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: Pope&Young] #3672547 10/18/12 09:56 PM
L
Layemdown1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
As this thread has gone on I got on the phone with the owner of the land. Come to find out, they brought a friend with them two weeks ago and they shot a nice 10 and on their way back to their camp they ran across our lease owner. Apart of our agreement, all guest have to meet the land owner and show proof of a hunting license and just so he knows who is on his land, this guy didn't have one. The land owner called the GW and you all know what happened next. So what I offered was that we would add one more guy on our lease and we would all split the difference of the lease in addition of getting the other 200 acres next year. The two guys on that other two hundred acres were kicked off the lease and we agreed that we would not hunt this land until next year. I guess things really do work out for the best!

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: wacorusty] #3672550 10/18/12 09:57 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: wacorusty

If that is truly the case then how is it legal that one person can install a "game-deterrent fence" and prohibit free movement for the animal or access to the state property by tax payers. mad mad

Private property rights. Just like you can go buy your own property and do what you want with it, If you have the money and want to spend it. I love those that hate people for stuff they don't have and blame it on money. If you want it, go work your tail off and get it. bolt

If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: Layemdown1983] #3672556 10/18/12 10:00 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Layemdown1983
Never said "My deer". I said management of deer in that area.

Read the thread title "Pesky Neighbour Hunting Your Deer!"

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: bossbowman] #3672672 10/18/12 10:50 PM
M
mdcamp Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
what belongs to the state belongs to the citizens of the state indivigualy and as a whole. Regulations and laws determine what can and what cannot be done but ownership is the peoples. so to call a deer on your lease or your property yours is perfectly legit. People in our country seems to have given ownership up to the government but the government, state or federal, own nothing it all belongs to the people and the people in government work for the citizens, not the other way around

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: mdcamp] #3672785 10/18/12 11:33 PM
A
AlaskaCub Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I have never understood having a management plan on a small piece of land that is surrounded by other small pieces of land that are not following the same management plan. I had a lease near Robert Lee years ago and it was about 500 acres. The surrounding properties were smaller than ours was and the lease manager had all kinds of rules on our lease. The guys to our north had like 300 acres, they were all buddies and usually had like 4 of them in camp hunting. They shot just about everything that walked.On the other side of us was a ranch almost as big as ours and it was a family lease that also shot just about everything that walked. I have no issue with what those neighboring hunters were doing as they paid to play and clearly enjoyed what they were doing. It just seemed stupid as hell to me for us to be hunting under management restrictions with the above details going on. You would pass up little 6's and then they'd have em hanging in camp, spikes too. Didnt hunt that lease after 1 season.

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: rtp] #3672817 10/18/12 11:45 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: rtp

TO the OP, how would you feel about letting this stud double drop tine walk across the fence and get shot by a neighbor

Was he tied up? You let the buck walk across the fence? J/K! That was a nice buck. Did you ever get a chance to shoot him?

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: Tye] #3672948 10/19/12 12:32 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
There's still good news for those of you that let them walk only to find out they are eventually blasted by your neighbor:

Unless they're shot right away, they likely spread their genetics that season. If you let a promising young 10 walk and he's shot late in the season, there are little HIM replicas running around.

It's still worth it.

Re: Pesky Neighbors Hunting your Deer! [Re: Tye] #3673005 10/19/12 12:48 AM
W
wacorusty Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: Tye
Originally Posted By: wacorusty

Private property rights. Just like you can go buy your own property and do what you want with it, If you have the money and want to spend it. I love those that hate people for stuff they don't have and blame it on money. If you want it, go work your tail off and get it. bolt

I'm jaded. I did work my tail off and I did buy my own place! The second year I owned it the neighbor fenced two sides of me. I've seen more deer and horns than ever so I have actually benefited. It still pisses me off. It is absolutely not private property. How would the State of Texas like it if I just started stealing road signs and gravel and furniture from the Capital and just kept it on my property and used the argument that it's my stuff now because it's now confined within my property lines. I admit I am going way overboard and I don't have a solution to offer and I have been on many high fence places before but I took a slap in the face and I'm still pouting. violin

DANG IT RTP! Great attitude man! up

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide