Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: Texas Dan] #3428533 07/31/12 07:21 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I recognize the need for an orange vest in the day in certain places and certain situations. I do not wear an orange vest at all times in the woods, therefore I do not use a light in all places in the woods.

That seems much like the construction worker who tells his supervisor that he prefers to wear his hard hat only when he feels he needs it.

I work in construction and only wear mine when I feel like I need it. If I was building a chicken coup, I wouldn't wear it. If I was working under a sink, I wouldn't wear it. Once the ceiling goes in, OSHA says you don't have to wear it.

See, same thing. Depends on the situation.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: txshntr] #3428559 07/31/12 07:30 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Guess I missed the story confused2

3rd post, page 4...

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: dfwroadkill] #3428573 07/31/12 07:34 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
From what I gather from that story, the guy was a known poacher, suspected to hunt at night and the officer went to catch him. When he confronted the suspect, the suspect shot him and made up a wild story about a "bush shaking creature". That would better explain the punishment than an accidental shooting.

IMO, the safety issue cannot be overlooked when it comes to walking without a light. Some people are much more afraid of the dark than others, even to the extent of firing into the dark to scare away whatever they think it is that's after them.

A remember a specific incident that occurred in Mississippi many years ago when a guy shot and killed a MDWFP officer who was trying to catch him hunting at night. The shooter was the son-in-law of the landowner and was walking back to his wife's house after hunting a food plot reportedly at night. According to local news accounts made soon after the incident, he heard the officer making noise in the brush and fired multiple times in an attempt to scare away what he thought was some wild animal.

While this case is unusual, I think it does bring to focus the danger that goes with walking in the woods at night during hunting season without a light.

The shooter received a 20-year sentence and died in prison in 2001.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: txshntr] #3428574 07/31/12 07:34 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Depends on the situation.

Exactly...

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: dfwroadkill] #3428594 07/31/12 07:41 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill

Exactly...

And you always get to pick them, right?

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: Texas Dan] #3428596 07/31/12 07:41 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Exactly...

Do I always pick where I hunt??? Yes, I believe I do

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: txshntr] #3428614 07/31/12 07:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Exactly...

Do I always pick where I hunt??? Yes, I believe I do

And control every decision made by everyone who hunts with or around you.

Needless to say, we've taken this discussion far beyond the point of diminishing returns for us both.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: Texas Dan] #3428642 07/31/12 08:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Are you really less likely to spook deer by walking in the dark, or does it just make you believe that it does?

Absolutely...they are far less weary in the dark...

No arguement from me.

Just a personal choice and not judging others, but I value safety at the expense of spooking deer.

Hunn that just not cool on so many levels....

Infact its safer to enter public land at night wearing a head lamp and more curtious to other hunters hunting the same area.

On private land how is this a saftey issue.

Do you get out of your blind way before dark so you can be back at camp before dark?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: Texas Dan] #3428655 07/31/12 08:05 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

And control every decision made by everyone who hunts with or around you.

Needless to say, we've taken this discussion far beyond the point of diminishing returns for us both.

I feel that it still has some life left in it confused2

When I hunt on private land, I know where the other hunters are and they know where I am or where I am going. I know the guys I hunt with.

On some of the properties, there isn't supposed to be someone else on them. Carrying a light could be a good or a bad thing if the person isn't supposed to be there. Look at the story you posted, I don't think a light would have saved that officer.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: Texas Dan] #3428671 07/31/12 08:11 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

If you recognize the use of an orange vest as increasing hunter safety during daylight hours, you probably need no further reference in recognizing why a light serves the same purpose at night.

Perhaps a point not to be missed in all of this is how the availability of expensive scopes with good light-gathering capability has extended the shooting hours of some hunters well beyond the "30 minutes after sundown" rule that was once common. A good light helps ensure that guy who is eager for a trophy and likes to stay well past that, doesn't make a mistake.

Your agrueing public vs private

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3428681 07/31/12 08:14 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

If you recognize the use of an orange vest as increasing hunter safety during daylight hours, you probably need no further reference in recognizing why a light serves the same purpose at night.

Perhaps a point not to be missed in all of this is how the availability of expensive scopes with good light-gathering capability has extended the shooting hours of some hunters well beyond the "30 minutes after sundown" rule that was once common. A good light helps ensure that guy who is eager for a trophy and likes to stay well past that, doesn't make a mistake.

Your agrueing public vs private

Hence the word "situation" grin

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: txshntr] #3428709 07/31/12 08:20 PM
N
NockedUp Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Werewolves and squatches were at one time an issue, but the zombies have pretty much eliminated them as a threat. Orange vest make it easier for a zombie to spot you. Therefore, I walk in around 3 or 4 pm, stay the night, and come out the next morning around 10. Thats what I tell the wife!

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: NockedUp] #3428748 07/31/12 08:30 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Hehe!! up

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: dfwroadkill] #3428972 07/31/12 09:12 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
txshntr does have a point. situational awareness counts for alot. You should always wear a seat belt driving around in the crowded towns or in public and it's the law but driving 10 mph around the ranch.... is it neccesary? Could it somehow save you? I suppose. Is it worth worrying over? I suppose not. Life is inherently full of danger. Do the best you can to mitigate danger but not to the point of insanity.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: TF Panther] #3429337 07/31/12 10:17 PM
S
Stormy Weather Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Most dangerous things I've encountered at night are my own feet. -- I've been known to stumble and trip. I think a small flashlight is an excellent idea.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: Stormy Weather] #3433519 08/01/12 10:09 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Sounds like two issues-safety on public land or safety on an overcrowded lease!
Even the worst leases I've hunted had enough room to get to and from the blind and still need a radio to contact help if something happened. Now I will admit there have been instances of illegals moving through at times, but they'd run into the nearest tree to avoid you anyway! They don't carry lights..hehehe. Now public land is a different situation altogether.

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: pyledriver] #3433736 08/01/12 11:21 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
You are worried about walking around in the pasture at night and most of you live in the city where it is a hell of a lot more dangerous.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: don k] #3434044 08/02/12 12:43 AM
T
txshotgun Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Poachers

Recycle! Be an organ donor!

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: don k] #3434542 08/02/12 02:30 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: don k
You are worried about walking around in the pasture at night and most of you live in the city where it is a hell of a lot more dangerous.

That's the point. It's what happens when the know-it-alls who live in the city and see something moving across a pasture that worrries me most.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: Texas Dan] #3434666 08/02/12 02:49 AM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I don't carry a light or wear orange unless on public land. Dan you post the story about a guy waving at his buddy and his buddy shot him thinking he was a bobcat-really? You think orange, a flashlight, or heck sirens would have stopped that- I don't. Some people are not bright and sometimes things happen with or without you doing everything to stop it. I get it your a H.E. instructor.

I work in a dangerous field of work, more safety involved than I care to talk about and guess what sometimes people wearing full ppe, following all the guidelines, and doing exactly what they are suppose to -get hurt. Something's are out of your control. Do I follow all the gun safety rules to a t -sure that mean I won't someday get hurt- no. Like already stated I'm more worried about going down to the store to get a gallon of milk than I am walking to my stand.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: 8pointdrop] #3434729 08/02/12 02:59 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
I don't carry a light or wear orange unless on public land. Dan you post the story about a guy waving at his buddy and his buddy shot him thinking he was a bobcat-really? You think orange, a flashlight, or heck sirens would have stopped that- I don't. Some people are not bright and sometimes things happen with or without you doing everything to stop it. I get it your a H.E. instructor.

I work in a dangerous field of work, more safety involved than I care to talk about and guess what sometimes people wearing full ppe, following all the guidelines, and doing exactly what they are suppose to -get hurt. Something's are out of your control. Do I follow all the gun safety rules to a t -sure that mean I won't someday get hurt- no. Like already stated I'm more worried about going down to the store to get a gallon of milk than I am walking to my stand.

So if we follow your logic, it was a waste of time for the TPWD to include that account in the report.

The truth is, for some, it is.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: Texas Dan] #3434798 08/02/12 03:12 AM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Not a waste of time proves my point really, if that guy was waving to signal his buddy, and still got shot.

Some people can't tell orange from brown if color blind, if you have a flashlight and so do I, mine can be mistaken as eye shine to you at a distance at least for a second, but that's all it takes 1 second.

Sure my logic sounds crazy to most of us that spend lots of time in the field, but opening morning there are less than seasoned hunters out there. I see what your saying be as safe as possible, but I think not being seen at all is better than broadcasting your location.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: daniel1381] #3435575 08/02/12 12:57 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: daniel1381
Who walks to and from ur stand in the dark? Are their any real dangers?

Silly me. There's absolutely no "real danger" in walking in the woods at night without any type of light during hunting season. Heck, I don't know why they even make flashlights.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: Texas Dan] #3436035 08/02/12 03:40 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Dan, I think my circumstances are different than yours. I'm on 3500 acres surrounded by large ranches. At most, there would be 3 other folks on the property at the same time. 90% of time it would be one other or just me. We are experienced, we know our property. If someone else is on that property, they shouldn't be. They are either trespassing or poaching. I don't carry a flashlight to alert trespassers or poachers. If for some far fetched reason they get shot that is their fault. They were some place they had no reason being.

I carry several lights, but I don't feel the need to use them traveling to and from the blind. Your point is well taken for certain circumstances such as public lands, small leases and heir land.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? [Re: Texas Dan] #3436083 08/02/12 03:54 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Heck, I don't know why they even make flashlights.

For the scaredy cats!!! rofl

I understand the point you are trying to make, and in certain circumstances, I agree. But thinking that someone is an idiot or has put themselves in great peril because they walk in the dark is taking it a bit far.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide