Texas Hunting Forum

Walking to and from ur stand ??

Posted By: daniel1381

Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:28 AM

Who walks to and from ur stand in the dark? Are their any real dangers?

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:30 AM

I do some walking, not real concerned about anything toting a high powered rifle. Snakes used to be an issue bc they like laying in the roads.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:32 AM

eek Werefeet bolt

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:32 AM

Heard of hogs charging ppl or guess its just the bump in the night that u hear from time to time that freaks u out!

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:33 AM

Bowhunting or rifle? Treestand, tripod, ground blind or box stand?

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:38 AM

Varmint hunting right now ... So rifle. Box stand bout 5 ft off ground or a tree stand 15 ft off. I drive a jeep and want to leave it at the camp and walk in so not to spook the animals .. One Neighbours next to our lease said he had seen a cougar on his la d which is next to ours and several members has found some big cat prints including me

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:39 AM

I walk about half a mile to mine and it never fails - I always jump something up and it always startles the piss out of me.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:40 AM

Will be walking about 150-200 yards in

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:45 AM

For varmits I would walk in no matter how far. A lot depends on how much and what type of vehicle traffic is on the ranch.

Posted By: coachmas

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:47 AM

I'm pretty spooky when it comes to walking in to my stand in the dark. I get startled on a regular basis from jumping deer. Late in the season last year, I had a group of 4 does that bedded close to my tree stand and I would jump them every morning I walked in. Guess they were waiting for the feeder to go off.

Coach

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:48 AM

Will coyotes target you or hogs ?? Or even worse a cougar?

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I walk about half a mile to mine and it never fails - I always jump something up and it always startles the piss out of me.

Keep in mind while walking that woodcock and quail aren't scared of ppl and will hunker down quietly and let you walk on by. They only flush in darkness when in the presence of the boogeyman. grin

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: daniel1381

Coyotes might if they can't figure out what you are.. Once they do they're out of there.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:52 AM

Just depends on how slow you are and how tasty they might think you would be grill

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:52 AM

And sows with pigs can present a prob, I've never had any probs once the gun goes off.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:53 AM

Our lease is pretty dang thick so animals could be on you before you realize it

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:53 AM

And ppl say assault rifles have no purpose in life !

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:55 AM

Ah the spray and pray approach to walking in the darkness.

Posted By: KG68

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:56 AM

In the dark? Heck no. There are critters out there that are deadly to your health. eek2

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:57 AM

Lol ppl alway ask why do you carry a ammo can to the stand!

Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 04:06 AM

Don't worry too much about animals as much as other humans. Chances in my neck of the woods is slim, but you never know.

Posted By: statesman

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 04:07 AM

Think of the tens of thousands of Texas deer hunters who walk to their stands in the dark, dozens of times each hunting season. Have you once heard of any of them being attacked by hogs, lions, bears, or Bigfoot? If I'm the first, and survive it, I'll be famous because I'll have a great story to tell. Until such time, I'll worry more about getting bit by a rattlesnake than being attacked by a predator.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 04:11 AM

A lot of the places I hunt I get the pleasure of walking a mile or more...

Wet years might be further

Posted By: jphillips

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 06:54 AM

I have been bluff charged by a big boar walking to my stand about an hour before daylight. He would run snorting at me about 5 yards at a time as I backed up. And trust me I did back up all the way to the truck which was luckily not far. It does happen, but not nearly enough to keep me from getting to my stand early. The dark is much more scary than the things in it. And I don't worry about coyotes and such at all. They won't hurt you. Pigs yes, and even more snakes...

Posted By: Stub

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 10:15 AM

I walk about 300 yards to mine. Cleared a pretty good road usually no suprises. Remember the good old days when I would almost always bust a covey of quail and WoHo.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 11:14 AM

We all walk on our place, no 4 wheelers, ATV's etc allowed.

Posted By: Hill Country Stalker

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 12:28 PM

This is exactly why I carry my pistol when I go hunting. I don't fear being attacked really, but I won't hesitate to put some lead in somethings azz if I need to.

If I had that hog charging me there would have "shots fired". Homie don't play that!

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 12:44 PM

Beware the Hounds of the Baskervilles!!! Beware!!!

Posted By: kamolaw

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 12:49 PM

Been doing it for years, have always felt safe and relaxed, perhaps cause I used to coon hunt all night with dogs tramping all over the creek bottoms. Snakes were a concern but I would now be more worried about another hunter but use the new green lites to see and be seen. I worry more about walking down a city street but woods are my safe zone where I feel most at home.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 01:09 PM

You jumpy sons-o-guns need to go spend a few nights in the wilderness. We humans are the most dangerous predators on the planet. It's way more dangerous for whatever we cross paths with than it is for us.

Posted By: Billbreaker

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 01:15 PM

Last year a group of hogs were hanging out under my hanging stand when I got there and one of em charged me. I bet I could have beat a squirrel up that tree! Every since then I carry a pistol with me. But seems like nothing will ever happen until you aren't prepared for it.

Posted By: Bowtech1233

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
You jumpy sons-o-guns need to go spend a few nights in the wilderness. We humans are the most dangerous predators on the planet. It's way more dangerous for whatever we cross paths with than it is for us.

^^^This...

Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 01:32 PM

I've always walked in and out in the dark since I was about 10. Have jumped a few deer but never seen anything else. I did have a My Cousin Vinny moment one time. An owl let go right above my head and made me jump through my skin. If I'd of been quicker on the draw, I 'd of field that old oak full of lead. Luckily, two seconds it took to draw the pistol was longer than the 0.8 it took me to realize it was an owl. what it was quicker than I could unholster my pistol.

Posted By: GLC

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 01:34 PM

Normally always get to the stand about an hour before sun rise and afternoon hunt after sunset. Thats pretty normal practice. If I am bow or rifle hunting I have my pistol with me, first three shots are snake pepper rest are hollow point. I always wear snake boots.

Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 01:36 PM

A few years ago, I hunted Aransas NWR. I am comfortable in the woods at night, in fact I enjoy it. I scouted out in the daytime, a little island in the marsh. My buddy pointed it out to me on google maps. He said there were deer all over it but no one hunted it because you have to wade through the marsh to get to it. I flagged the way to it so I could find it in the dark the next morning.
The next morning, the willies hit me wading through the marsh in the dark. There are a lot of gators in that place, and I couldn't block it from my mind. Just then, I almost stepped on a big heron that was sleeping on top of the reeds. He let out a big SWAUK and boomed of with those giant wings. I almost screamed and ran.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 01:47 PM

We are the same as someone mentioned above, walk in no 4-wheelers alowed.

I walk to the blind, roads are sand so it is very quiet and I dont use a light. I have walked up on quail snakes yotes and a couple packs of hogs, and by far the most frightening are the quail and snakes. The all the hogs/deer/yotes scatter when they hear you coming.

I think most of the people who got "charged" by a hog either:
-had one in a trap/cornered
-are lying
or
-spooked a group of hogs and by chance one ran their direction.

matt

Posted By: whtbeard

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 01:52 PM

Just get your self a very small flashlight. Use it if you feel the need. Skunks are the only thing I have walked up on.
In the dark, I don't like skunks or having the smell on me. grin

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 01:56 PM

I did once walk up on a skunk, it was a fairly light night, and I swore I could see somthing in the rut in the road infront of me, but it just ketp the same distance infront of me as I was walking so I said must be a shadow. About 50 yards later I see the "shadow" stop, I stopped pulled out my flashlight from my back pocket and clicked it on real quick saw a skunk tail up in fire mode not 5' in front of me jumed to the side and ran around him...it was a close call but I got away unscathed!

Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I did once walk up on a skunk, it was a fairly light night, and I swore I could see somthing in the rut in the road infront of me, but it just ketp the same distance infront of me as I was walking so I said must be a shadow. About 50 yards later I see the "shadow" stop, I stopped pulled out my flashlight from my back pocket and clicked it on real quick saw a skunk tail up in fire mode not 5' in front of me jumed to the side and ran around him...it was a close call but I got away unscathed!

Should have taken one for the team, Matt...natural scent blocker. eek2

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 02:31 PM

Y'all must hunt in some really rough neighborhoods.

There is a much higher chance of something bad happening any time of day walking in town to the local corner store.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Orn
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Should have taken one for the team, Matt...natural scent blocker. eek2

No need to re-apply either, the odor lasts long term after application, and no worry about contaminating with camp smells as you wont be allowed back in camp! hammer

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 02:35 PM

I archery hunt and walk in. The only thing I'm really concerned with are skunks. Last year on one walk in, three skunks in one walk. I'm trying to be covert, so no light just throw sticks and rocks at them to get to move along.

Spiders! Not scared, it's just creepy to get a big ole spider crawling on your face! I was hunting Richland Creek several years ago and walked though a big ole spider web and the owner of the web was firmly attached to my face - that will sure wake you up!

Posted By: TooLow

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 02:42 PM

I always walk to my stand. Never have really got the willies but have walked up on a skunk or two. And once when it was foggy I walked right up on some of the cows and when I turn on my flashlight I was face to face with one of them. I would say we scared the hell out of each other. I was glad he ran backwards and not over me.

Posted By: TxAg

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:05 PM

Walk to my stand pretty much every hunt. That's part of the enjoyment for me, the silence and the darkness. I've jumped deer and walked within 25 yards of a yote, but I'll agree the biggest heart stopper is when quail explode from under your feet in the dark. Have said a few choice words when that happens.

LP got it right. We got nothing to be afraid of in TX. Sometimes you have to man up.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

Coyotes might if they can't figure out what you are.. Once they do they're out of there.

Also had this happen to me, in my neighborhood in Pearland, no less.

Big pack of yotes was most definitely zeroing in on me, going crazy calling to one another. Got to about 20 yards and instantaneous silence and a bunch of dust trails where the yotes used to be.

I was about to jump into a pond, so I'm glad they figured it out.

Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:28 PM

Always walk in- why not? It's part of hunting. Sometimes I don't even go to the blind, I spot and stalk. Tagged a good buck like that 2 years ago.

Posted By: mallard

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustler
Y'all must hunt in some really rough neighborhoods.

There is a much higher chance of something bad happening any time of day walking in town to the local corner store.

No kidding loco confused2
I've had some crap scare me, but there's nothing going to attack you. If y'all are nervous walking in the woods in the dark, don't ever kayak through flooded timber to go duck hunting, because then you get water and things splashing involved.

Posted By: KG68

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:38 PM

You guys need to train your women to carry you to the blind go park the truck and walk back. up

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:44 PM

Another fun one a few years back:

We're checking the feeders at night to see if the hogs had been hitting them. One in particular had zero corn and the air just reeked of hogs. Tons of heavy underbrush surrounding the feeder area.

My buddy and I walked all over the place looking for pigs with a flashlight, but couldn't find any. But the smell was very strong, that he decides to fire a pistol round into the air.

It was like the forest came to life. Pigs running everywhere and one of them knocked me clean off my feet. I screamed like a 12-yr-old girl and my buddy was laughing hysterically.

So, yeah. He has that on me for life.

Posted By: Hill Country Stalker

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:48 PM

One of the biggest heart stopping moment I have had was actually in plain day light two years ago. I was doing some work on a stand that was already on the lease and had to pull the chairs out of it. there was a small hole in the floor in the corner where something had chewed it away and I was going to fix it. Anyway I opened the door of the stand and cautiously looked around. Didnt see anything but a mess from something getting in and chewing up the wood. So I grabbed the first chair closet to the door and pulled it out. Walked back in to get the second chair on the far side and when I moved it a ring-tailed cat almost ran up my leg. It actually went between my legs and out the door, ran and hid under a stump. Lets say I lit off a few rounds of .45 at that joker (no intensions of killing it) just to make sure he knew he wasnt welcome.

Posted By: BYPATHofNIGHT

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 03:52 PM

I usually only bowhunt, but I do walk in and out in the dark.

...course I carry a big knife.

Posted By: rackjudge

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 04:02 PM

Yeah I am not too worried about much inTX. Now if it were Alaska could be a different story.

Posted By: MikeC

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 07:39 PM

I don't worry about it but about 15 years ago a guy that was a rep for one of our suppliers was walking to his stand down near Sonora one afternoon in the broad daylight and was attacked by a fox. He killed it and put it in the bed of his truck and called the game warden who took him and the fox to the nearest medical clinic.
He had to take the rabies shots since he had some scratches from the deal as a precaution and when the results came back the fox did test positive for rabies.
So I guess you never know.

Posted By: kodi allen

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/27/12 11:51 PM

I have been charged twice, both by a sow with little one's
Both times walking to my stand in the dark. It will happen sooner or later.
Just remember its not as you think to shoot a charging pig in the dark.

Posted By: 5km

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/28/12 12:29 AM

I park my Jeep as close as I can get probably 50 yards from the stand I killed the biggest deer of my life last year and he came out of the woods between me and the Jeep two other bucks were killed out of the same stand with the Jeep in plain sight them deer don't pay much attention to that kinda stuff or at least they don't seem to on our place

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/28/12 12:31 AM

You might think you are a tough son of gun...but a skunk will bring you to your knees sick

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/28/12 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

You might think you are a tough son of gun...but a skunk will bring you to your knees sick

Can tell there's no honey badgers in LPs hood.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/28/12 12:46 PM

It's already happened...Eden, 1992.

Also walked up on a mean ol' badger in Gonzales Co. in about 1990. I was walking a high bank, dry creek bottom. Dang badger wouldn't back down so I bludgeoned him to death with a big stick.

Again, there ain't nothing in the woods that's gonna hurt ya. Y'all quit being a bunch of Nancy's.

Posted By: 4K outdoors and taxidermy

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/28/12 01:18 PM

You only have to worry about the boogey man along the Rio Grande, they hang out down there where there's a steady supply of people to feed on. Can you imagine how many illegals there would be if them boogies weren't down there eatin' 95% of what walked through in the dark.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/28/12 01:35 PM

I've seen 12 stubtails laying in the rd on one walk out from the stand. I ain't skirred.

It's already happened...Eden, 1992.

Also walked up on a mean ol' badger in Gonzales Co. in about 1990. I was walking a high bank, dry creek bottom. Dang badger wouldn't back down so I bludgeoned him to death with a big stick.

Again, there ain't nothing in the woods that's gonna hurt ya. Y'all quit being a bunch of Nancy's.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/28/12 01:40 PM

On full moon nights i jump out in the pastures with my bow and walk for miles...its peacful and fun hunting....i always walkin into my stands..shortest walk is around 1/4 mile

Posted By: kodi allen

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/28/12 06:42 PM

I have learned to be more careful where I step in the dark.

Posted By: pyledriver

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/28/12 09:23 PM

I'm with Land Pirate! Yes there are things out there that CAN hurt you, but overall, your chances of running into trouble are very low. If you're being real stealthy, you might step on a snake, or walk up on a skunk. No, there are generally way more things out there will make you hurt YOURSELF if you freak out.

Try this-get a weakish flashlight, by todays standards that's a mini maglite, etc. Walk to your stand and only use the light if you just HAVE to, but practice NOT using the light. Also, the moer time you spend in the woods, the more you'll learn about what critters are out and about, and the kind of sounds they make. Not everything rustling the brush is a 400lb boar with a bloodlust!

Posted By: BAR940

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/29/12 12:23 AM

I bow hunt and walk nearly a half mile to my setup. I carry a Glock 20 on my side too while hunting and I've had to use it a few times.

3 things that worry me the most: 1st - wild humans, 2nd - wild dogs and 3rd wild hogs. And of course that mountain lion that was spotted.....I carried 4 mags of ammo for that 10mm for over a month afterwards.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/29/12 02:34 AM

Armadillos ruffling leaves sounds like a heard of mountain lions before daylight.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/29/12 01:21 PM

The worst scare I've ever had is walking into a covey of quail in the dark. That'll scare the bejesus out of you.

Posted By: MOtxhunt05

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/29/12 01:38 PM

I've never had a problem with the dark. I'm the baddest predator out there, and when you develope that mind set, all the demons go away!

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/29/12 01:42 PM

The worst scare I've ever had is walking into a covey of quail in the dark. That'll scare the bejesus out of you.

Please refer to my response to Cameron on the 1st page grin

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/29/12 01:44 PM

Wait until you're walking back from the stand and the herd of young pigs thinks the loud noise you're making is their mama walking off and leaving them....they'll run to catch up with you and at night you're not real sure what's trying to catch up.

Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/29/12 02:27 PM

Stepping in a hole and twisting your ankle good. For the most part like most said, you don't have much to worry about attacking you in the woods around here.

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 02:51 AM

After spending much of spare time as a kid and young adult chasing behind coonhounds at night, the dark doesn't bother me. But for safety reasons, you'll never find me walking in the woods at night without a light when other hunters are in the area.

Posted By: mudman

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 08:14 AM

Never met anything in the dark on the way to the stand except maybe a deer or some quail. The quail will scare you pretty good. Now the briars will trip you.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 12:33 PM

Spider webs...screws up my whole hunt because I am spend all morning looking for that sneaky little bugger and every little tickle I feel turns into a 2lb tarantula

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 02:06 PM

Screech owls will get you too

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

Screech owls will get you too

Especially when they are in your stand waiting for you

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 02:32 PM

I can't walk to all my stands. The place is 6 miles long. But I never park close. Always walk at least a quarter mile. I don't use a light, but carry one. I think you can see better in the dark once your eyes adjust than if you keep turning a light on and off....and I don't want to spook something across the way that might not otherwise be concerned.

Snakes are my biggest concern, but I generally wear leggings in the warm weather. As others have said, quail will get you going in a hurry. Sadly, we don't run across them much anymore.

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 02:48 PM

yotes don't freak me out but last year we had what seemed like a pack of them stupid things tracking me and my boy out of the woods for about 1/4 mile. I'll admit....I was puckered purdy good and it was pitch black....safety was off grin

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 03:00 PM

IMO, the safety issue cannot be overlooked when it comes to walking without a light. Some people are much more afraid of the dark than others, even to the extent of firing into the dark to scare away whatever they think it is that's after them.

A remember a specific incident that occurred in Mississippi many years ago when a guy shot and killed a MDWFP officer who was trying to catch him hunting at night. The shooter was the son-in-law of the landowner and was walking back to his wife's house after hunting a food plot reportedly at night. According to local news accounts made soon after the incident, he heard the officer making noise in the brush and fired multiple times in an attempt to scare away what he thought was some wild animal.

While this case is unusual, I think it does bring to focus the danger that goes with walking in the woods at night during hunting season without a light.

The shooter received a 20-year sentence and died in prison in 2001.

Posted By: goosecrazy

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 03:10 PM

I'm on edge when walking in the dark in TX but nothing has ever happened yet. Now, when I go to Montana, that's whole differnt ball game. I have a 454 Casull that I carry on me to convience the grizzlies they're in the wrong for looking at me like a porkchop...

Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 03:45 PM

Last year I was walking to my stand with a green light on to be stealthy. I walked right on to a skunk and actually touched it. We both took a couple steps back and he trotted off while I stood there for a few minutes in disbelief. From now on, I walk in with a white light and shine it back and forth. I have been sprayed by skunks 3 times in my life and I know how lucky I was.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
Last year I was walking to my stand with a green light on to be stealthy. I walked right on to a skunk and actually touched it. We both took a couple steps back and he trotted off while I stood there for a few minutes in disbelief. From now on, I walk in with a white light and shine it back and forth. I have been sprayed by skunks 3 times in my life and I know how lucky I was.

That could definitely make it more difficult to remain in camp, or worse, get momma to let you back into the house.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate

I hate those green lights. Everything blends together in the dark...I was in Kansas and had set up a new pop-up two weeks before. Never hunted it. First morning, I was heading to it and had the green head lamp. Was looking into the woods and everything blended together.

I knew I was getting close when I lifted my head to look around and saw two BIG GLOWING green eyes staring me in the face. I rarely use lights and I am not scared of the dark...but that rattled me. Turned out that the previous hunters thought it was a good spot and had put two reflective tacks about head high and 3-4" apart bang

Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 04:28 PM

I do it all the time. Only bad incident I had was literally walking into a black baldy cow that was laying in my path. The toe of my boot hit her hoof, then she jumped up and so did I! lol

Posted By: Curtis

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 04:37 PM

I don't walk in to the stand anymore. I just use a zipline and glide on in.

Posted By: don k

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 04:45 PM

I walk the last 100 yards backward. That way werewolfs, chupas and zombies think I have already left the stand.

Posted By: BAR940

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 05:11 PM

Spider webs...screws up my whole hunt because I am spend all morning looking for that sneaky little bugger and every little tickle I feel turns into a 2lb tarantula

This! I can relate exactly! I hate hate hate a damn spider! I'd rather fend off a pack of rabid, starving coyotes or wrestle a 50 foot rattlesnake in my ground blind than deal with ONE spider!

*is something on me?*

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/30/12 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BAR940

This! I can relate exactly! I hate hate hate a damn spider! I'd rather fend off a pack of rabid, starving coyotes or wrestle a 50 foot rattlesnake in my ground blind than deal with ONE spider!

*is something on me?*

A long PVC pipe attached vertically to the front of an ATV with stretch cords works great at keeping spider webs off the face.

Posted By: daulongranch

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: statesman
Think of the tens of thousands of Texas deer hunters who walk to their stands in the dark, dozens of times each hunting season. Have you once heard of any of them being attacked by hogs, lions, bears, or Bigfoot? If I'm the first, and survive it, I'll be famous because I'll have a great story to tell. Until such time, I'll worry more about getting bit by a rattlesnake than being attacked by a predator.
There is a guy that works where I was working that was chased up a tree by a big bore. He threw his bow at it to buy some time to climb. The bore destroyed the bow and hung out for a half hour waiting for him to come down from the tree.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 01:45 PM

Are you really less likely to spook deer by walking in the dark, or does it just make you believe that it does?

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 02:12 PM

Yes, hunt yotes enough at night and you will see deer are a lot less spooky at night

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Are you really less likely to spook deer by walking in the dark, or does it just make you believe that it does?

Without a doubt. Deer in my area are much less leery at night, sometimes even curious. If they see me during the day, they run like I shot at them, but at night they will stand 40-50 yards away and watch.

Drive a wheat field during the day and you will clear it. We go rabbit hunting and will drive and shoot all over the wheat field at night and it will still have deer on it.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 02:41 PM

Absolutely...they are far less weary in the dark...

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill

No arguement from me.

Just a personal choice and not judging others, but I value safety at the expense of spooking deer.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 04:21 PM

No arguement from me.

Just a personal choice and not judging others, but I value safety at the expense of spooking deer.

You think that it is unsafe to walk in the dark?

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 06:35 PM

Yes I do, during hunting season that is.

I always carry a light when walking at night for the same reason I always wear an orange vest when walking during the day. I haven't found a person yet who can clearly see orange in the dark.

Obviously, it's not wild animals that I fear most, but those who are most eager to shoot at something.

As you grow older, you realize that safety and protecting your ability to provide for your family is far more important than any deer you might wish to put on a wall.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 06:36 PM

Yes, he already said that and offered a story he thinks backs it up. I don't agree with it, but I'm not gonna argue with him over it. Life is too short.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 07:02 PM

Yes, he already said that and offered a story he thinks backs it up. I don't agree with it, but I'm not gonna argue with him over it. Life is too short.

Guess I missed the story confused2

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 07:09 PM

If you recognize the use of an orange vest as increasing hunter safety during daylight hours, you probably need no further reference in recognizing why a light serves the same purpose at night.

Perhaps a point not to be missed in all of this is how the availability of expensive scopes with good light-gathering capability has extended the shooting hours of some hunters well beyond the "30 minutes after sundown" rule that was once common. A good light helps ensure that guy who is eager for a trophy and likes to stay well past that, doesn't make a mistake.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 07:10 PM

I recognize the need for an orange vest in the day in certain places and certain situations. I do not wear an orange vest at all times in the woods, therefore I do not use a light in all places in the woods.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 07:19 PM

I recognize the need for an orange vest in the day in certain places and certain situations. I do not wear an orange vest at all times in the woods, therefore I do not use a light in all places in the woods.

That seems much like the construction worker who tells his supervisor that he prefers to wear his hard hat only when he feels he needs it.

I'm guilty myself because I seldom wear a safety harness when hunting from ladder stands. But I know that I should. But since I have no control over that guy who might mistake me for a deer, I make no exception when it comes to an orange vest during the day, and a light at night.

The most important way to end EVERY weekend deer hunt is being physically able to return to work on Monday.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 07:21 PM

That seems much like the construction worker who tells his supervisor that he prefers to wear his hard hat only when he feels he needs it.

I work in construction and only wear mine when I feel like I need it. If I was building a chicken coup, I wouldn't wear it. If I was working under a sink, I wouldn't wear it. Once the ceiling goes in, OSHA says you don't have to wear it.

See, same thing. Depends on the situation.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 07:30 PM

3rd post, page 4...

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 07:34 PM

From what I gather from that story, the guy was a known poacher, suspected to hunt at night and the officer went to catch him. When he confronted the suspect, the suspect shot him and made up a wild story about a "bush shaking creature". That would better explain the punishment than an accidental shooting.

IMO, the safety issue cannot be overlooked when it comes to walking without a light. Some people are much more afraid of the dark than others, even to the extent of firing into the dark to scare away whatever they think it is that's after them.

A remember a specific incident that occurred in Mississippi many years ago when a guy shot and killed a MDWFP officer who was trying to catch him hunting at night. The shooter was the son-in-law of the landowner and was walking back to his wife's house after hunting a food plot reportedly at night. According to local news accounts made soon after the incident, he heard the officer making noise in the brush and fired multiple times in an attempt to scare away what he thought was some wild animal.

While this case is unusual, I think it does bring to focus the danger that goes with walking in the woods at night during hunting season without a light.

The shooter received a 20-year sentence and died in prison in 2001.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 07:34 PM

Depends on the situation.

Exactly...

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 07:41 PM

Exactly...

And you always get to pick them, right?

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 07:41 PM

Exactly...

Do I always pick where I hunt??? Yes, I believe I do

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 07:48 PM

Exactly...

Do I always pick where I hunt??? Yes, I believe I do

And control every decision made by everyone who hunts with or around you.

Needless to say, we've taken this discussion far beyond the point of diminishing returns for us both.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 08:01 PM

No arguement from me.

Hunn that just not cool on so many levels....

Infact its safer to enter public land at night wearing a head lamp and more curtious to other hunters hunting the same area.

On private land how is this a saftey issue.

Do you get out of your blind way before dark so you can be back at camp before dark?

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 08:05 PM

And control every decision made by everyone who hunts with or around you.

Needless to say, we've taken this discussion far beyond the point of diminishing returns for us both.

I feel that it still has some life left in it confused2

When I hunt on private land, I know where the other hunters are and they know where I am or where I am going. I know the guys I hunt with.

On some of the properties, there isn't supposed to be someone else on them. Carrying a light could be a good or a bad thing if the person isn't supposed to be there. Look at the story you posted, I don't think a light would have saved that officer.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 08:11 PM

If you recognize the use of an orange vest as increasing hunter safety during daylight hours, you probably need no further reference in recognizing why a light serves the same purpose at night.

Perhaps a point not to be missed in all of this is how the availability of expensive scopes with good light-gathering capability has extended the shooting hours of some hunters well beyond the "30 minutes after sundown" rule that was once common. A good light helps ensure that guy who is eager for a trophy and likes to stay well past that, doesn't make a mistake.

Your agrueing public vs private

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Your agrueing public vs private

Hence the word "situation" grin

Posted By: NockedUp

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 08:20 PM

Werewolves and squatches were at one time an issue, but the zombies have pretty much eliminated them as a threat. Orange vest make it easier for a zombie to spot you. Therefore, I walk in around 3 or 4 pm, stay the night, and come out the next morning around 10. Thats what I tell the wife!

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 08:30 PM

Hehe!! up

Posted By: TF Panther

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 09:12 PM

txshntr does have a point. situational awareness counts for alot. You should always wear a seat belt driving around in the crowded towns or in public and it's the law but driving 10 mph around the ranch.... is it neccesary? Could it somehow save you? I suppose. Is it worth worrying over? I suppose not. Life is inherently full of danger. Do the best you can to mitigate danger but not to the point of insanity.

Posted By: Stormy Weather

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 07/31/12 10:17 PM

Most dangerous things I've encountered at night are my own feet. -- I've been known to stumble and trip. I think a small flashlight is an excellent idea.

Posted By: pyledriver

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/01/12 10:09 PM

Sounds like two issues-safety on public land or safety on an overcrowded lease!
Even the worst leases I've hunted had enough room to get to and from the blind and still need a radio to contact help if something happened. Now I will admit there have been instances of illegals moving through at times, but they'd run into the nearest tree to avoid you anyway! They don't carry lights..hehehe. Now public land is a different situation altogether.

Posted By: don k

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/01/12 11:21 PM

You are worried about walking around in the pasture at night and most of you live in the city where it is a hell of a lot more dangerous.

Posted By: txshotgun

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 12:43 AM

Poachers

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
You are worried about walking around in the pasture at night and most of you live in the city where it is a hell of a lot more dangerous.

That's the point. It's what happens when the know-it-alls who live in the city and see something moving across a pasture that worrries me most.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 02:49 AM

I don't carry a light or wear orange unless on public land. Dan you post the story about a guy waving at his buddy and his buddy shot him thinking he was a bobcat-really? You think orange, a flashlight, or heck sirens would have stopped that- I don't. Some people are not bright and sometimes things happen with or without you doing everything to stop it. I get it your a H.E. instructor.

I work in a dangerous field of work, more safety involved than I care to talk about and guess what sometimes people wearing full ppe, following all the guidelines, and doing exactly what they are suppose to -get hurt. Something's are out of your control. Do I follow all the gun safety rules to a t -sure that mean I won't someday get hurt- no. Like already stated I'm more worried about going down to the store to get a gallon of milk than I am walking to my stand.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
I don't carry a light or wear orange unless on public land. Dan you post the story about a guy waving at his buddy and his buddy shot him thinking he was a bobcat-really? You think orange, a flashlight, or heck sirens would have stopped that- I don't. Some people are not bright and sometimes things happen with or without you doing everything to stop it. I get it your a H.E. instructor.

I work in a dangerous field of work, more safety involved than I care to talk about and guess what sometimes people wearing full ppe, following all the guidelines, and doing exactly what they are suppose to -get hurt. Something's are out of your control. Do I follow all the gun safety rules to a t -sure that mean I won't someday get hurt- no. Like already stated I'm more worried about going down to the store to get a gallon of milk than I am walking to my stand.

So if we follow your logic, it was a waste of time for the TPWD to include that account in the report.

The truth is, for some, it is.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 03:12 AM

Not a waste of time proves my point really, if that guy was waving to signal his buddy, and still got shot.

Some people can't tell orange from brown if color blind, if you have a flashlight and so do I, mine can be mistaken as eye shine to you at a distance at least for a second, but that's all it takes 1 second.

Sure my logic sounds crazy to most of us that spend lots of time in the field, but opening morning there are less than seasoned hunters out there. I see what your saying be as safe as possible, but I think not being seen at all is better than broadcasting your location.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 12:57 PM

Silly me. There's absolutely no "real danger" in walking in the woods at night without any type of light during hunting season. Heck, I don't know why they even make flashlights.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 03:40 PM

Dan, I think my circumstances are different than yours. I'm on 3500 acres surrounded by large ranches. At most, there would be 3 other folks on the property at the same time. 90% of time it would be one other or just me. We are experienced, we know our property. If someone else is on that property, they shouldn't be. They are either trespassing or poaching. I don't carry a flashlight to alert trespassers or poachers. If for some far fetched reason they get shot that is their fault. They were some place they had no reason being.

I carry several lights, but I don't feel the need to use them traveling to and from the blind. Your point is well taken for certain circumstances such as public lands, small leases and heir land.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 03:54 PM

Heck, I don't know why they even make flashlights.

For the scaredy cats!!! rofl

I understand the point you are trying to make, and in certain circumstances, I agree. But thinking that someone is an idiot or has put themselves in great peril because they walk in the dark is taking it a bit far.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 04:06 PM

But thinking that someone is an idiot or has put themselves in great peril because they walk in the dark is taking it a bit far.

Exactly...the voice of reason is missing..

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 04:07 PM

But thinking that someone is an idiot or has put themselves in great peril because they walk in the dark is taking it a bit far.

If you go back and review each of my posts, that was never my intention. My comments were only meant to draw attention to certain risks that might otherwise be overlooked. It was probably my reference to why someone would put a desire to avoid spooking deer before safety that set some of you off.

As I have commented in other threads, my personal goal is to avoid any event or situation where a friend or family member might one day look at me in a hospital bed (or someplace worse) and wonder to themselves why I thought it was so important just to kill a deer. It is something that I realized after learning of so many hunters who can no longer provide for the ones they love most.

Posted By: swmays

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 04:23 PM

...my personal goal is to avoid any event or situation where a friend or family member might one day look at me in a hospital bed (or someplace worse) and wonder to themselves why I thought it was so important just to kill a deer...

Carp man! How do you get yourself from the house to your hunting property?

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: swmays
Carp man! How do you get yourself from the house to your hunting property?

With a seatbelt of course.

But when it comes to wearing a helmet while riding an ATV, I'm as busted as anyone.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 04:29 PM

My comments were only meant to draw attention to certain risks that might otherwise be overlooked. It was probably my reference to why someone would put a desire to avoid spooking deer before safety that set some of you off.

The problem is Dan... You are trying to apply your personal experience (or lack thereof) to everyones situation. My not using a flashlight in order to be more stealthy and avoid spooking as many deer as possible is not complicitly unsafe for my situation. On the other hand, if one were hunting 100 acres of heir land in which various family members may or may not be present anywhere on the land at a given time it would be a safe thing to make sure others knew where you were.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 04:36 PM

The problem is Dan... You are trying to apply your personal experience (or lack thereof) to everyones situation.

To the contrary, I'm taking what I have learned through the experiences of others to make better decisions. As with anything else, it's up to the individual to accept lessons learned or reject them, whatever their source.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 05:30 PM

Well then you would see that your charge (that walking in the woods at night without using a light is unsafe) is a choice you have chosen regardless of the experiences of others. It is unadulterated fact to you. Your statements have had no qualifiers. To me that is rejecting the experience of others and their contribution to forming a better decision while opting for what is agreeable to you or your personal experience.

Again, I do agree with you that in certain circumstances a light is a good idea, but it isn't always a requirement in order to be safe.

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 10:19 PM

Dan I think you should wait til noon to walk to your stand wearing flashing lights and a siren. Better safe than sorry bud.

Posted By: Stub

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/02/12 11:57 PM

Common sense to me. I carry a flash light with me, very seldom ever use it no matter how dark it is! I shined it on the Boogie Man once!

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/03/12 07:46 AM

I'm more afraid of the "critters" in the city than those in the country!!!

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/04/12 05:24 PM

Oops. Gotcha!

Posted By: Team By-God

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/04/12 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Enter Standman
Don't worry too much about animals as much as other humans. Chances in my neck of the woods is slim, but you never know.
that's why I don't watch movies like wrong turn or deliverence while hunting.

Posted By: Mopar 512

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/04/12 11:04 PM

I hunt hogs at night from a blind. I do my ingress and egress at dusk and dawn. I probably don't fear the dark enough. Probably don't fear the hogs enough either. The last time I hunted I did something without even thinking of any possible risk. What happened was about 2 am nature called. My truck was parked about a quarter mile away with the toilet paper in it. Also, I didn't want to leave the scent of human waste next to the blind so I got out of the blind and walked to the truck and took care of business there. I thought, no need to carry the gun so I left it in the blind.

The next day I was thinking about it and then I remembered the two large dogs that frequently show up on the game cam at night. I am glad I did not run across them and with them not being used to seeing humans out there at night I am not sure what they would have done if they had showed up. I know one thing I am not walking in the the dark without my gun again.

By the way, shot two boars that night so there were hogs in the area too.

Posted By: maximum

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/04/12 11:14 PM

I MAY HAVE MISSED IT , BUT I DIDN'T
SEE ANYWHERE ON THIS DISCUSSION ABOUT
ONE OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF GUN
SAFETY WAS TO NEVER SHOOT AT ANYTHING
YOU COULDN'T POSITIVELY IDENTIFY.

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/04/12 11:57 PM

Wow. A lotta guys really amp themselves up about walking in the dark....

Posted By: Brando-Commando

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/05/12 01:42 AM

Walking to the stand in the dark, is always kinda creepy...i've seen some freaky eyes, that would just glare at me when i walk by.. luckly i dont have a super far walk..

Its definitely the feeling when you can feel someone looking at you..

Posted By: Direct Hit

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/05/12 03:00 AM

Man up and walk to your stand flashlight or not...and Dan walk to your stand in day light hours only...problem solved.

Posted By: Ttomlinson87

Re: Walking to and from ur stand ?? - 08/05/12 09:09 PM

No one has ever jumped a mean a$$ bull?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum