Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: JThoele] #3007217 02/12/12 01:29 PM
30378 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Bolt actions will win out in most instances. For me the real question is, "what is acceptable accuracy for the task"? If either shoots 3/4" or less at 100yds, it's a fairly nice rifle.

NRA Benefactor Life Member - Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry a firearm.
Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3007258 02/12/12 02:02 PM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I very aware of their capabilities.. My point was the bolt platform is the preferred platform to build on due to its accuracy. So your already at a disadvantage in your agruement. Also a custom AR is no different then a custom bolt.

And most ar barrels are floated smile

Wasn't talking custom or floated, I was just talking staight across the board of what is available to the average joe.
But what the heck lifes too short to argue, you win.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe
Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: DSST_Construction] #3007273 02/12/12 02:11 PM
C
Canazes9 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: DSST_Construction
lol, just cause you kill alot of animals with a semi auto doesnt make it any better.

This topic is very very hard to talk about cause there are to many varibles.

In general bolt action are more accurate, i dont really see our military snipers shooting semi auto to often.

DSST,

Not singling you out, but there sure is an awful lot of talk about what our military sniper's are using. Seems like a lot of folks are out of date about the M110 platform.

http://www.snipercentral.com/m110.phtml

I'm not an all or nothing kind of guy. I really like my Benelli, but I have bolt actions and really enjoy using them as well. I was responding to a question about accuracy - my Benelli will routinely shoot 3 shots into 3/4" and sometimes much better using factory Hornady SST ammunition. It is as accurate as any bolt action sporter I own, as accurate as any I've shot. The Benelli has also proven to be extremely reliable, with ~1400 rounds fired through two rifles and not a single malfunction between them.

When it comes time to shoot mulitiple shots - running pigs, etc. - the R1 comes into it's own. I am very good with a bolt, capable of quick follow-up shots, but there is just no comparison to the R1. Anyone who believes otherwise is just kidding themselves - if you try it side by side you will see.

cool

David

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: wchamilton] #3007310 02/12/12 02:28 PM
R
RDub270 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: wchamilton
Some AR's will outshoot many bolt actions.
hell make that MOST bolt actions..

Difficult to refute this statement. It's just as true that some bolt actions will outshoot most AR's. It all depends on which "some" we are referencing. up

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: Canazes9] #3007316 02/12/12 02:30 PM
T
therock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Lots of comments on the BARs on this thread regarding their accuracy. I have or have had 3 of them. 270,300 win mag and 338 win mag. All 3 of them were very finnicky about the ammo used. I have not seen this near as bad in the bolt actions. Is this what most people see with BARs?

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: RDub270] #3007320 02/12/12 02:31 PM
T
timbertoes Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
That Benelli is one great looking rifle!!

Its like that V8 Drink, I should have one smile

Forum says "Veteran Tracker". I could not track a garbage truck into a fireworks factory.
Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: timbertoes] #3007531 02/12/12 03:59 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Maybe this was a fluke but here is an honest 200 yard bench group out of my bone stock (non-custom) RRA shooting Black Hills Blue Box 60gr V-Max. This AR will outshoot most any bolt gun I've ever owned. I'm not making the claim that all ARs will or even can shoot this good but it is easily within the realm of possibilities. Compare a quality stock AR against a quality stock bolt gun and I think the results will suprise many.

Last edited by Misfire; 02/12/12 04:02 PM.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: Armalite260] #3008150 02/12/12 08:46 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Donno about bolts, but my BAR 243 is very accurate... even deadly cheers I'm looking for a 700SPS as we speak

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: Armalite260] #3008212 02/12/12 09:22 PM
T
Txtrapper10 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Bolt action all the way

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: Navasot] #3008229 02/12/12 09:32 PM
N
Nightlight Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Navasotbred
Originally Posted By: Nightlight
I have been interested in the semi auto Benelli's, Brownings / BAR's, but have been hesitant because of mixed reviews of their accuracy. Does anyone have any photos of groups they are getting out of either? Thanks!

I will asure you that you will be happy with a BAR if you can find one. The BAR 2 fixed the problem with the action stopping when loading the first round. you would always have to manualy push it shut on the old ones but i wouldnt pass up the opportunity if you found one in good condition. i would recomend it in .270 if you did get it. We got a BAR 2 .270 in mint condition for my brother at christmas and had to get it from Georgia. If you take good care of them their resale value is very good

Excellent! Will have to keep an eye out for them.

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: Canazes9] #3008230 02/12/12 09:33 PM
N
Nightlight Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Canazes9
I have been interested in the semi auto Benelli's, Brownings / BAR's, but have been hesitant because of mixed reviews of their accuracy. Does anyone have any photos of groups they are getting out of either? Thanks!

David

Thanks for the info David - cool pics too!

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: Nightlight] #3008383 02/12/12 10:43 PM
T
timbertoes Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
wish the R1 came in varmint calibers

Forum says "Veteran Tracker". I could not track a garbage truck into a fireworks factory.
Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: timbertoes] #3008975 02/13/12 01:49 AM
C
Canazes9 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: timbertoes

They do, 30-06.... grin

Funny, when I bought this rifle I was using a AR-15 (Bushmaster Predator) for coyote hunting. The rifle was very accurate and I shot well with it, but I never really felt the love. Twice while predator calling I've had pigs come to the call. I lit up one boar with the AR but couldn't drop him on the run.

Next time I went predator calling I brought the R1. The Bushmaster never made another trip and I eventually sold it to a forum member. My line of thinking was that I didn't shoot that much, ammunition wasn't gonna break me, I shot the R1 better and the gas system soaks up the recoil so much that it really is VERY comfortable to shoot and I shot better with it! I don't keep hides so the extra damage was a plus in my book!

Obviously not most folks 1st choice, but it works for me.

David

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: Canazes9] #3011723 02/14/12 12:22 AM
J
jjf Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
The bolt action is the most accurate platform, or the most accurate firarms in the world (Benchrest rifles) would be semis.
I have never seen or heard of a semi even compete in a regestered benchrest match, at least not while I was shooting. The groups shot with these rifles in the hands of the best shooters (not me lol) are simply amazing.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/jfreem/p_00032.jpg
See Rule 17: Signature images may not be larger than 600 pixels wide by 125 pixels tall.
Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: Armalite260] #3015030 02/15/12 02:06 AM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Quality barrels and quality ammo = accurate rifle. Everything else is just details.

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: Chris42] #3017406 02/15/12 08:40 PM
O
OBR12 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
O
look at what won the 10th annual international sniper competition....that pretty well sums it up. bolts will always be accurate but the ar's are now just as accuate.

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: OBR12] #3018066 02/16/12 12:33 AM
T
Texpppr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I shoot both. By design I think bolt actions are more accurate.

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: OBR12] #3018293 02/16/12 01:51 AM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: lee12
look at what won the 10th annual international sniper competition....that pretty well sums it up. bolts will always be accurate but the ar's are now just as accuate.

Time is usually a large portion of score in those events and the semi is great since follow up shots are fast.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: dee] #3018324 02/16/12 01:59 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Most accurate would be accuracy records

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3018333 02/16/12 02:01 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Bolts would be my guess....

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: rifleman] #3018503 02/16/12 02:52 AM
N
nado2036 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
N
I dont understand how someone continually putting pics up of the animals they have killed makes an arguement for accuracy. You can shoot animals with a shotgun and kill them.

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: nado2036] #3018601 02/16/12 03:19 AM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: nado2036
I dont understand how someone continually putting pics up of the animals they have killed makes an arguement for accuracy. You can shoot animals with a shotgun and kill them.
dam dude, that was a totally assinine statement. He never made any unbackable statements, nor bragged about anything.
Some simple pics of his boys with some game shot with a rifle he likes and some boys he is proud of.
WHAT THE HECK IS NOT TO LIKE?

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe
Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: wchamilton] #3018633 02/16/12 03:27 AM
N
nado2036 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
N
dam dude, that was a totally assinine statement. He never made any unbackable statements, nor bragged about anything.
Some simple pics of his boys with some game shot with a rifle he likes and some boys he is proud of.

Trying to understand why there is a bunch of pictures up there of dead animals. I thought the thread was on accuracy but I guess I was wrong since I started it. Also I didnt read all that into those pictures because there was not a comment with them.

Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: nado2036] #3018801 02/16/12 04:16 AM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
to close to tell depends on make and model of the gun also

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: Semi auto Vs Bolt Action accuracy [Re: nado2036] #3018829 02/16/12 04:27 AM
C
Canazes9 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C

Trying to understand why there is a bunch of pictures up there of dead animals. I thought the thread was on accuracy but I guess I was wrong since I started it. Also I didnt read all that into those pictures because there was not a comment with them.

Allow me to clarify.

This is a public discussion forum. You don't own content you post or the topics you start. As often the case the discussion takes other turns as people chose to participate.

I was responding to Nightlight's post:

The very first picture in my response was a 4-shot 5/8" group shot with my Benelli. The remaining pictures, some would argue, represent accurate groupings on actual game animals. Truthfully, it was my attempt at a light hearted response indicating my rifles are accurate enough for the intended hunting purposes.

I have not "continually posted pictures" - I posted them one time. As was previously mentioned, you don't own the content you post in a public forum and once posted I have little control of my posts. The fact that they have been replied to with quotes causing the pictures to appear multiple times is not my doing nor under my control.

As for my lack of comments, perhaps you missed these posts:

Originally Posted By: DSST_Construction
lol, just cause you kill alot of animals with a semi auto doesnt make it any better.

This topic is very very hard to talk about cause there are to many varibles.

In general bolt action are more accurate, i dont really see our military snipers shooting semi auto to often.

DSST,

Not singling you out, but there sure is an awful lot of talk about what our military sniper's are using. Seems like a lot of folks are out of date about the M110 platform.

http://www.snipercentral.com/m110.phtml

I'm not an all or nothing kind of guy. I really like my Benelli, but I have bolt actions and really enjoy using them as well. I was responding to a question about accuracy - my Benelli will routinely shoot 3 shots into 3/4" and sometimes much better using factory Hornady SST ammunition. It is as accurate as any bolt action sporter I own, as accurate as any I've shot. The Benelli has also proven to be extremely reliable, with ~1400 rounds fired through two rifles and not a single malfunction between them.

When it comes time to shoot mulitiple shots - running pigs, etc. - the R1 comes into it's own. I am very good with a bolt, capable of quick follow-up shots, but there is just no comparison to the R1. Anyone who believes otherwise is just kidding themselves - if you try it side by side you will see.

cool

David

Originally Posted By: timbertoes

They do, 30-06.... grin

Funny, when I bought this rifle I was using a AR-15 (Bushmaster Predator) for coyote hunting. The rifle was very accurate and I shot well with it, but I never really felt the love. Twice while predator calling I've had pigs come to the call. I lit up one boar with the AR but couldn't drop him on the run.

Next time I went predator calling I brought the R1. The Bushmaster never made another trip and I eventually sold it to a forum member. My line of thinking was that I didn't shoot that much, ammunition wasn't gonna break me, I shot the R1 better and the gas system soaks up the recoil so much that it really is VERY comfortable to shoot and I shot better with it! I don't keep hides so the extra damage was a plus in my book!

Obviously not most folks 1st choice, but it works for me.

David

So you see I have tried to add comments and content to the original topic. I'm terribly sorry the pictures posted are a distraction and seem to be causing you distress. I will try to remember not to post photo's in any future topics that you start. Until that time, endeavor to persevere....

Regards,

David

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide