Forums46
Topics539,222
Posts9,746,892
Members87,146
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 13 of 44 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Texpppr] #2812824 12/06/11 01:49 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Texpppr
an old car way out in the woods with license plates on it from the year I was born. (1954) I got a screwdriver out.
That's cool.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: muleyman6570] #2813076 12/06/11 02:51 AM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Bump so I can find this later to read. This thread is very entertaining, but I should be studying for exams right now.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: ParkCountyElkDestroyer] #2813135 12/06/11 03:05 AM
Y
Yol Bolsun Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Y
I hunted a wheat field on time setting behind a tree 20 yrs ago and keep seeing to odd shapes through some brush about 10 yards to my left in the dark. Come daylight they were tombstones of a mother and son. Mother was born in 1848 and died 1881 or so. The son died a few yrs earlier and was only 8 yrs old. His was turned over so I set it upright. A very odd moment in the middle of nowhere. Turns out that family had owned the land in those days.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Texpppr] #2813690 12/06/11 07:23 AM
H
Hunter_812 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Used to lease the Rhodes Ranch in Taylor County. Climbed up to a crop of rocks on the tallest hill, and found where someone in 1908 had carved their name and where they were coming from and going to. I wished I remembered exactly what it said. On the same place we found an old indian cave, or at least what we thought. Had a few drawings on the walls and some really old pelts. As I'm typing these I'm thinking of more on the same place. Found a draw once where someone had built a wall of rocks and mortared them. They had built maybe a swimming pool? Still held water and was about six feet deep at the wall. This was on about a 20 degree incline. Wished I new the stories that went along with these places.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Hunter_812] #2813800 12/06/11 12:53 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Found a sink hole once just outside of Georgetown. My Nephew climbed down into it because he was the one...uh...brave enough to get in. At the bottom was an old pile of rotting bones and a stack of rocks where someone had piled them up attempting to get out. The rock pile wasn't enought to get out so we threw a rope down to him and pulled him out. I think that land is a neighborhood of new homes now. Might even be in the City limits by now.

His 5 year old Son was with us. We all made sure he understood that he wasn't supposed to say a word to Mommy about the deal. When we got home, the first words out of his mouth were "Guess what Daddy did?". Then we ALL got in trouble. wife

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #2813844 12/06/11 01:29 PM
panch0 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Ha! Kids Are brutally honest. Great stories everyone!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #2813854 12/06/11 01:34 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Checking cattle in Jack County years ago and something on the side of a hill caught my eye. Turned out to be 2x3 foot section of an airplane. Gave it to a local pilot who passed it upstream, etc. Nothing in the FAA records. A mystery.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: aeb] #2813869 12/06/11 01:42 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Lots of oil activity on the Calllahan County ranch in the 20's and 30's. Bottles and other artifacts scattered all around. An old county road once crossed the place. In one draw, most of an old truck body lies buried in the weeds. Frame and engine gone with only the outer shell left. Would be an interesting story to know what happened.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: aeb] #2813870 12/06/11 01:42 PM
K
krazyh0rse Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
I have found old graveyards dating back to the 1800s up around paris,canister shot near bastrop,my brother found a 10 cannon ball in georgia, lots of old training shells a few grenades and yesterday a 40mm grenade (uxo)

SI Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: krazyh0rse] #2813873 12/06/11 01:43 PM
K
krazyh0rse Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
the coolest thing i ever found was a fossilized human foot print up in the ozarks on a cliff overlooking the river

SI Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: krazyh0rse] #2813885 12/06/11 01:49 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: krazyh0rse
the coolest thing i ever found was a fossilized human foot print up in the ozarks on a cliff overlooking the river

Was it human or hillbilly? grin

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Ox190] #2814346 12/06/11 04:24 PM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Ox190
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I have lots of stories, but this is the one that comes to mind the most.

Near Ft Chadbourne, not far from Bronte I was on a lease ajoining Kickapoo mountain. A very historical area. From the top of Kickapoo mountain I could make out what I am sure was remnants of the Butterfield Overland Trail. There was a small peak on our lease with a couple big rocks balanced on top. A bigger one in the distance was actually called Nipple Peak on the map to give you an idea what it looked like. It was a great vantage point to sit over a large area of our lease that I could glass. I was trying to pinpoint the location of a Turkey that Spring day.

While I was sitting at the base of that big rock on the peak; I looked down beside me to find a large thin corner tang flint knife. The tip was missing, but the main body with the corner tang was present. The flaking was perfect like a piece of art. My mind thought of a ritual piece or maybe a burial piece left behind from a dead indian once stuffed under the rock. But more likely it was damaged during it's construction and just chunked aside by the hunter that had sat there before me. After all, the spot would have been just as good of a hunting vantage point 2000 years ago as it was that day. Only 2000 years ago he would have been looking for Bison coming through the pass instead of a Turkey.

I pulled out some tp paper I had brought along and tightly wrapped the Corner Tang Knife under several folds of paper to insure it would arrive home with me undamaged. I then put the wrapped piece in my breast shirt pocket and buttoned it closed. It was safe from any harm and there was no way it could get lost. I even remember patting my chest and feeling it there as I thought about the men before me who had hunted from the very spot.

Moments later I did spot my Turkey. I was able to run down off the hill to move ahead of the bird and set up with my call. Just as the Turkey was coming into range I was actually blown by a Jackrabbit of all things. The Jack ran right up to me and made a sound that I swear sounded like the bark of a dog causing the Turkey to putt and run away. But I had a hunch the Turkey was headed for a stock tank in the area. I circled and ran ahead again setting up on the tank dam. I was right. In short time I had my Turkey.

I walked back to camp carrying my bird over my shoulder. I set the bird and call by a tree and leaned my gun there to take a picture. I thought it would be cool to include the corner tang in the picture by setting it next to my box call.

So I unbuttoned my shirt pocket and pulled out the wad of tissue paper and began to unfold it, but it did not feel right. There was nothing there.

John, I used to hunt off Mcdonald Road and 277 8 miles north of Bronte just north of Nipple Peak. there was a pad of concrete approx 40x40 the old timers in Bronte said it was used for a dance floor for parties at old Fort Chadbourne.

One time while just walking across the ranch I stumbled across a pair of work boots that looked fairly new along a fenceline we shared with another ranch. It seemed random they were out there, I left them alone and just kept walking.

At one time my grandfather Tad Richards owned a lot of land in that area and there was a lot of cool stuff found out there over the years, including an old Colt revolver. Not really relevant to the topic, but this is a pretty cool story that mentions my grandad and his place:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txnolan/entertainment.htm

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Woody Wood] #2814359 12/06/11 04:31 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Found a lawnchair nailed about 20ft up in a tree...best i could figure it was a trap set for dumb people...foud 13 stolen cars also right down the river from there..

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Navasot] #2814363 12/06/11 04:31 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
random campfires too...those always make you wonder

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Navasot] #2814394 12/06/11 04:37 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
also had a Meth headed tweeker walk up on us while were runnin a yote call...and i mean tha volume was up loud...he was on a mission to the crack house down the road no lie...i will never forget how bad the spotlight scared him haha he got about 15yrds before we shined it right on him hahahahaha it was like watchin a deer run off from a light

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: rswarrior] #2814871 12/06/11 07:40 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
i have found shed antlers in tractor tires, (haha) but like most the normal stuff, old tin cans and such, shed antlers, bones and hides of deer and other animals that make you wonder how they got where they are, but the neatest thing i can remember off hand was an old model T looking car off in some thick woods outside of Kerrville on year. It had obviously been there for YEARS, the closest road was a good 8+ miles....who knows but really cool

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: txhunter1010] #2815192 12/06/11 09:39 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
also came across a half burried fawn underneath some leaves and brush, had a couple of good sized teeth and claw marks, coudlnt have been no more than a day old. sure make you look behind you in the woods especially in the dark

Last edited by txhunter1010; 12/06/11 09:40 PM.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: txhunter1010] #2815276 12/06/11 10:03 PM
T
Texas Bob Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I found a meteorite on the shores of Lake Buchanan four or so years ago when it was 20 feet low due to the drought. It has the weight of a cannon ball but is an oval shaped sphere so it isn't the right shape to be a projectile. I found several "dram" bottles that year that are old enough not to have been made by machine.

I found a musket ball in my backyard in Galveston while turning over the veggie garden.

Most recently, I found a really old Berry Brothers and Rudd bottle sunk into the swamp in the Galveston bird sanctuary. When I cleaned it up, you could see the label in the glass of "Berry Bros. & Rudd Ltd." and made in "London, England". It is old enough to also not have the lines on the bottom rim, so it is not machine made either.

A friend does a lot of construction for Sun City in Georgetown and constantly finds arrow heads and the occasional burial cave. His employers get angry when he finds the caves because work stops while the archeologists come.

Last edited by Texas Bob; 12/06/11 10:07 PM.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: txhunter1010] #2815683 12/07/11 12:03 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
i have found shed antlers in tractor tires....

Been there, done that. Takes the fun out of the day.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #2816279 12/07/11 03:07 AM
K
krazyh0rse Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter
Originally Posted By: krazyh0rse

Was it human or hillbilly? grin

didnt see any bite marks so i dont know if he had any teeth

SI Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: krazyh0rse] #2816380 12/07/11 03:31 AM
B
Bear Creek Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
About 25 years ago while going to college at Univ. of Idaho I worked a couple of summers for the forest service mapping streams. GPS had just become mainstream and we would literally walk up or alongside streams throughout ID and MT taking readings and identifying different riparian habitats. We would actually take along a mask and snorkel and try to survey species of fish at specific intervals. Anyway, it was remote and we were usually helicoptered in and would backpack for a couple of weeks to a rendezvous point.

We found cars/trucks miles and miles from any roads that must have been brought in for mining operations. Once stumbled upon a horse skeleton with saddle that had apparently fallen from the trail up above the river....looked for a rider but found nothing.

Strangest thing was a complete camp: couple of dome tents, backpacks, cooking equipment, sleeping bags, etc. that had obviously been there for several years....kinda eerie!!

I have to mention how odd it was when we would occassionally encounter other people (only happened a couple of times). Of course you'd be polite and say hi but you and the other party would always be very leary and you could tell they were as uncomfortable as you were and were more interested in just moving on... creepy and tough to explain.

Last edited by Bear Creek; 12/07/11 03:32 AM.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Bear Creek] #2816615 12/07/11 04:31 AM
G
GOATBOY Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
While walking around my hunting "area" near Campbellton, Tx., I found what I believe is a cannon ball. It is the size of a tennis ball and is solid steel. I can think of no logical reason for this item to have been out in the middle of this pasture.

Also, while hunting in the Azle area near Ft. Worth, I found a heavy weight plastic bag full of nudie magazines, "lotion" and women's clothing stuffed up underneath a large fallen tree. Again, no logical reasons for these items to be where they were found EEeewww...

Found a really nice hunting jacket floating in Eagle Mountain Lake. I guessed that it blew out of a duck hunter's boat.

Found a deer skeleton with the skull cap cut out. Found the poacher's pop-up blind, cover scent and scent lure in a large bucket stashed under some brush. Sorry SOB!

Had another poacher borrow my blind one time and the dumb butt left his Trophy Hunter magazine in the blind. The magazine had the subscription label on it with his name and address on it. Gave the magazine to the the Game Warden. Easiest case he ever made...

Numerous arrowheads, old bottles, sheds, etc. like others have mentioned.....

GOAT.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: GOATBOY] #2817070 12/07/11 01:31 PM
C
CLB1981 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Two years ago I was going out to evening hunt, walking to my stand turn the corner and there sit two young teenage boys, sons of a guy on the lease, looking at a playboy from the 80s. When they saw me they ran. I had to laugh.

Early to bed, early to rise, hunt all day and make up lies.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: CLB1981] #2831032 12/12/11 08:25 PM
T
TomBaty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I was hunting trout in Oregon back in 2009 and saw some old dead trees with what appeared to be rope burns in the trunks. There were grooves where it looked like the rope had been wound around the trunk twice and the grooves were blackened. My family and I had just come from learning about how pioneers on the Oregon Trail would attach ropes to their wagons and wrap them around trees to slowly lower their wagons down steeper parts of the trail. It was pretty cool to stumble upon that and actually get to see it first hand.

-Tom

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: TomBaty] #2831100 12/12/11 08:46 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Couple things I found this year were an old elixir bottle with that thick glass from apparently the 1920s marked "Squibb" across the top. Also found an old delapidated homestead with tons of bricks laying around marked "Whiteselle Cherry Reds" that were made in Corsicana in the early 1900s. Thinking about bringing some home and adding them to my patio.

Page 13 of 44 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide